Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

The Outer Worlds

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
das_boot

The Outer Worlds

Post by das_boot » 04 Oct 2020, 15:01

So, this is the game Fallout 4 could have been and I love it.

I think I’m closing on the endgame but basically the companions are great, the humour is on point, and the gameplay is probably the most intuitive I’ve seen in an FPS/action RPG hybrid in some time (and I usually HATE FP games other than Fallout and Elder Scrolls).

This is just a really fun game and there’s clearly a ton of replay potential just in how you play different missions and interact with various factions
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Cable

Re: The Outer Worlds

Post by Cable » 04 Oct 2020, 15:38

I bought this game last year but didn't play it because I wanted to wait for all the DLC to be out before I did. It has been a long-ass wait!
Best Comics of Week 28

X-titles: Excalibur #22 by Tini Howard (3) and Marcus To (3)
Non-X titles: Extreme Carnage--Scream by Clay Chapman (1) and Chris Mooneyham (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Oct 2020, 18:56

Uh oh. I’m starting to worry about recommending it now because I KNOW there’s a franchise that you and I totally disagree on and I’m starting to get the sinking feeling that it’s Fallout and therefore potentially this game too...

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Oct 2020, 19:20

Most people compare it to old Fallout, though, so it's a better comparison. Unless you never liked Fallout. Then yeah.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

Cable

Post by Cable » 05 Oct 2020, 19:24

Fallout is one of my top ten favorite game franchises
Best Comics of Week 28

Non-X titles: Extreme Carnage--Scream by Clay Chapman (1) and Chris Mooneyham (1)

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 06 Oct 2020, 20:30

I was a bit disappointed in this. I heard people comparing it to Fallout but I found this game quite short and simple. Not bad but also not that great.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Oct 2020, 21:49

Gremlin wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 20:30
I was a bit disappointed in this. I heard people comparing it to Fallout but I found this game quite short and simple. Not bad but also not that great.
I think it depends how much time you invest in your side quests and factions. When I told one of my friends that I’d bought it, he said I’d be disappointed because he was done in about 10 hours.

I’m at 30 hours now and while I certainly feel like I’m closing in on the end of the game, I think I have another few hours left.

It certainly feels more like the start of a franchise than anything else, and I do hope they make a second game because I’d like to see where they could expand on some stuff.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 08 Oct 2020, 12:03

Oh I must have sunk about 30-40 hours into it and did the faction side quests etc. I just bought it thinking it would be a much bigger game. I think because I have played the likes of mass effect, Skyrim, fallout...I felt that it was similar in design yet significantly shorter. I would hope it there is a sequel then they make it bigger.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Cable

Post by Cable » 08 Oct 2020, 12:34

The shorter nature was a selling point to me. I have a 1 year old and gaming time is hard to come by. I sunk over 150 hours into Fallout 4 and can't afford that anymore lol
Best Comics of Week 28

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Mar 2021, 17:20

Cable wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 15:38
I bought this game last year but didn't play it because I wanted to wait for all the DLC to be out before I did. It has been a long-ass wait!
Next week the final DLC for this drops and I can play this game that I have been saving for two years.
Best Comics of Week 28

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Mar 2021, 17:32

Cable wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 17:20
Cable wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 15:38
Next week the final DLC for this drops and I can play this game that I have been saving for two years.
I didn't even know there was DLC. I haven't touched it in a bit, but something about this game is so much fun when I compare it to Fallout. It's the only game I can compare it to, but I've never been able to get into the FO franchise.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 15 Mar 2021, 10:58

Is anyone playing this on the Switch? I'm thinking of picking it up, as my PC is showing its age for gaming, but not sure if the experience will be severely limited by the system's capabilities.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 Mar 2021, 13:15

Spectral Knight wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 10:58
Is anyone playing this on the Switch? I'm thinking of picking it up, as my PC is showing its age for gaming, but not sure if the experience will be severely limited by the system's capabilities.
I played on PS4– I’m sure it’s been patched since, but I’m pretty sure that on launch it was fine on TVs but not great on handheld mode on Switch.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 15 Mar 2021, 14:06

Hmm, I'll keep an eye on it in the semi-regular digital sales, rather than pay retail price.

Cable

Post by Cable » 16 Mar 2021, 16:36

Spectral Knight wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 14:06
Hmm, I'll keep an eye on it in the semi-regular digital sales, rather than pay retail price.
Also note, if you want the DLC, the final one drops for other consoles tomorrow but they said for Switch it will be later.
Best Comics of Week 28

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Mar 2021, 11:48

Cable wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 19:24
It came to me last night— we had HARSH words over the ending of ME3, despite us both loving the franchise as a whole.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Mar 2021, 04:20

Cable wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 12:34
The shorter nature was a selling point to me. I have a 1 year old and gaming time is hard to come by. I sunk over 150 hours into Fallout 4 and can't afford that anymore lol
The fact this is like Fallout/Skyrim, but shorter? This 100% makes it a better game than both of those to me. I've sunk a hundred hours into Skyrim and I still haven't beat it. The Bethesda games are far too open and filled with things to do for me to be able to finish them.
das_boot wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 11:48
Cable wrote:
It came to me last night— we had HARSH words over the ending of ME3, despite us both loving the franchise as a whole.
Was it because the ending was complete ass?
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 20 Mar 2021, 12:13

das_boot wrote:
Cable wrote:
Oh yes ME3's original ending being good is a hill I will die on!

You weren't kidding though when you said this game is like Fallout. It feels just like playing it (sadly without VATS though). But that's not a bad game to be compared to. I have been playing Outer Worlds this week and I am loving it so far.
Best Comics of Week 28

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 20 Mar 2021, 12:33

Well, we’ll agree to disagree but I appreciate your stamina on that argument ha ha ha ❤️

I’m really glad you’re enjoying it though. Every time I see this thread get a sudden post I have this horrible mental image of you cursing my name because you hate it ha ha ha

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Mar 2021, 18:08

Cable wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 12:13
das_boot wrote:
Cable wrote:

You weren't kidding though when you said this game is like Fallout. It feels just like playing it (sadly without VATS though). But that's not a bad game to be compared to. I have been playing Outer Worlds this week and I am loving it so far.
I don't particularly remember VATS, but isn't it the same as the time slow down ability in Outer Worlds?

Cable

Post by Cable » 20 Mar 2021, 20:40

tokenBG1009 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 18:08
Cable wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 12:13
das_boot wrote:

I don't particularly remember VATS, but isn't it the same as the time slow down ability in Outer Worlds?
They are very similar but VATS is a little better. Outer Worlds literally just slows time, VATS allowed you to manually select different body parts and gave you a percentage chance that your attack would hit that part and then also gave you a cool little animation every time (Outer Worlds only on rare occasion will give a death animation).
Best Comics of Week 28

Cable

Post by Cable » 29 Mar 2021, 15:23

das_boot wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 12:33

I’m really glad you’re enjoying it though. Every time I see this thread get a sudden post I have this horrible mental image of you cursing my name because you hate it ha ha ha
Still loving it and have recruited all companions. Who did you most often run with? I've been having Nyoka be my constant companion, she goes just about everywhere with me. The other slot I rotate but actually probably prefer having SAM with us, so it's often me, a drunk lady, and a cleaning robot trying to complete missions 🤪
Best Comics of Week 28

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 29 Mar 2021, 15:28

SAM! SAM IS THE ONE! Nyoka was a favourite too, but I loved all of the party characters to be honest

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 May 2021, 18:43

I finished this
Spoiler: show
and now that criminal Welles finally got what was coming to him.

This was such an excellent game. I was impressed with how far it lets you take different paths depending on the choices you make. I am glad I waited for the DLC because they are both of high quality in storytelling and probably nearly double the length of the game. Anyone who played when it first came out would be well-served to revisit it.
Best Comics of Week 28