Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Skyward Sword vs BotW

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
AntiBody

Skyward Sword vs BotW

Post by AntiBody » 02 Mar 2019, 20:54

Hey all! I just bought this massive tv from a friend - it's 70 inches, holy crap. I just hooked my Wii U up to it and can't wait to play some games on this huge screen!

I'm a huge Zelda fan, even though I don't always play the new games right when they come out. I have yet to play both Skyward Sword and Breath Of The Wild. I've heard pros and cons about both games, but wanted to put it to our lovely little corner of the internet: which game do you recommend I play first? I honestly don't have a preference and I'm willing to hear positives and negatives about both games. What do y'all think?
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Jazzkantine

Re: Skyward Sword vs BotW

Post by Jazzkantine » 02 Mar 2019, 21:34

70“ TV and then a WiiU :shock:

Well, I recommend browsing the online store for some good old games, and when you have the coins you can buy a Switch for Breath of the wild. And later you can also buy the Link‘s Awakening on the Switch.

Buying Botw for the U wouldn’t honor this game, you want too see the true beauty of it, and not the downgraded version.

Wind Waker... well if you get it cheap from somewhere? People complained about the long and repeating sailing tours if I remember correctly. And the art in there,.. really?

Edit: I mixed Up SS and WW. SS should be a good fetch.
Last edited by Jazzkantine on 02 Mar 2019, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 02 Mar 2019, 22:50

At the risk of being labelled a heretic, Skyward Sword for me without a doubt. Far more engaging game, really fun take on the Zelda canon.

I would argue SS obviously doesn't have the same overworld but what I love more about Zelda is the main dungeons, and the SS dungeons crap all over BotW's main dungeons which I felt I brute forced at times rather than actually progressed through learning about my abilities.

Also the story of the Master Sword is far more captivating than stealing some goblins' weaponry.

grief

Post by grief » 03 Mar 2019, 03:29

I've never played Skyward Sword, so my views aren't terribly couched in anything from experience. From what I've seen, it's simplistic, the controls can be frustrating, the story is pretty trash, and nothing interests me - personally - about it.

Breath of the Wild, though, I FLIPPING LOVED. My wife and I played it on the Switch, so I dunno about the Wii U version, but we both would put like 8 hours in BotW at a time, literally just switching off so the other could play. I loved having control of how the story unfolded, i loved exploring every nook and cranny of the world, I loved traveling and climbing and just everything about it. My wife beat it and the next week immediately started a new game. So for my vote, BotW all day.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 03 Mar 2019, 18:01

Skyward Sword's story is actually good. It's the first time Zelda and Link have some personality. It isn't the deepest story, by any means, but I think it's a nice growth. THe rest of what grief said, I'd say is true. The controls are SUPER frustrating, like "I want to throw this through the screen" frustrating. And the gameplay is repetitive, with you visiting only three areas, and going there twice(I believe...). There is some fun parts, but it's not, by any means, top tier Zelda. Still, if you're a fan of the series, you should get it and play it. I remember hating Wind Waker the first time I played it, but the second I adored it to pieces, so....what do I know!

And again, I'm gonna agree with grief and BoW, all day. It's beautiful from top to bottom; story, gameplay, the art direction, the world itself. While I will knock the zero REAL dungeons, I think the hundred + mini dungeons, and inventive main "dungeon-ish" places helps make up for it. While I very much want dungeons back next game, I love how it worked this game. The game is also just so thrilling. Just exploring the world, is thrilling. Meeting enemies. Reaching the tops of mountains. It's just a fulfilling experience in terms of gaming. I cannot recommend it enough.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Mar 2019, 20:27

It's been a long time since I played SS but had no issues at all with the controls from memory. I didn't think the gameplay was too repetitive as at least each additional item added new elements of play. Also the timestone is probably my favourite Zelda innovation, remember having real fun with that mechanism.

The mini dungeons were very good in BotW I will agree. I think if half their inventiveness was added to the main dungeons I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I think one of my other flaws I found was that the overworld was huge but I kinda felt the fast travel tower mechanism actually lessened the enjoyment for me.

Also I hate, hate, hate breakable weaponry. I know some Zelda fans hate the familiarity of the beat mini boss, receive new item to reach the main dungeon boss, and then use it to beat the main boss sequence, but that familiarity hasn't brought contempt for me. I do think the series can inspire further revisiting (and maybe reduce linearity) by letting you progress through any given dungeon in any order but letting you revisit with new equipment for further exploration / secrets.

Edit: can we all agree OOT is still the best in the whole series in terms of story, canon development, gameplay innovation new ideas that seem obvious now (Z-targeting?) and the joy of exploration.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 04 Mar 2019, 13:27

Thanks everyone! I started SS just this morning! It's snowing hard here, and I'm a teacher, so they cancelled school. Figured it was a perfect time to pick this up! I've only played about 30 minutes so far, and it seems pretty interesting! As with most Zelda games, I'm still very much in the tutorial phase, learning how the controls work and such. I'm not overly thrilled about all the motion controls (I'm old) but they don't seem too complicated so far.

Not sure how long it'll take me to play through this game, but I'm excited to play a Zelda game I've never played before! The last one for me was Link Between Worlds, and even then it was the LTTP world so it was familiar. God, now that I'm typing this out, was the last unique Zelda game I played Twilight Princess?? Damn, it's way past time I picked SS up, then!

With SS not being HD, and my screen being so massive, some of the imagery is a little less-than-stellar. Wide shots of Skyloft have been...interesting so far lol.

Also, I should probably know this by now, but does the way you play the game affect anything? People in-game have been asking me questions and I can't help but feel that my answers count toward something...
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 04 Mar 2019, 13:48

Nah, it doesn't affect anything. I think they really wanted to give Link some personality, so that's why they're giving you these choices.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Mar 2019, 15:35

I need to give Skyward Sword a chance. BotW was my first Zelda game and I honestly hated it. Part of this is my emerging realization that I just don't like super open world games very much. I don't need complete handholding, but I prefer a game to be closer to Dragon Age: Inquisition than Skyrim. BotW was far too Skyrim for me.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 07 Mar 2019, 16:40

See I'm playing Witcher 3 (still...it's a bloody big game...!) and the open-worldness of that hasn't bothered me so much because it's always very clear what's main quest and what's purely optional. I could of course have rushed the main story, but it's the little quests that have me hooked. Also, the characters' use of the 'ploughing' euphemism, which always cracks me up no end. Especially the Bloody Baron from the early game.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 09 Mar 2019, 15:12

tokenBG1009 wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 15:35
I need to give Skyward Sword a chance. BotW was my first Zelda game and I honestly hated it. Part of this is my emerging realization that I just don't like super open world games very much. I don't need complete handholding, but I prefer a game to be closer to Dragon Age: Inquisition than Skyrim. BotW was far too Skyrim for me.
I love Dragon Age Inquisition but I feel it's very open world. But I guess, it's also segmented and you know what you're doing in each "land". I guess they are very different open worlds, but funny, for me they were both "perfect' open worlds.

BUT, you need to give Ocarina of Time a chance before Skyward Sword! IN some ways, it is simple by today's standards, BUT it's the perfect representation of a Zelda game.

grief

Post by grief » 15 Mar 2019, 00:35

Ocarina was MY first Zelda game, so I have a decent amount of nostalgia love for it, but a lot of the handheld Zelda games are so much better. Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, and Link Between Worlds are my personal faves. While I loved BotW, I don't know that I would be willing to go through it all again.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/