Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
User avatar
LockheedAndLoaded
Posts: 36
Joined: 18 Jul 2017, 16:54

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 24 Jan 2018, 05:04

...Why the hell isn't Logan nominated for "Best Makeup and Hairstyling"? Every time I see pictures of Hugh Jackman in real life, I can't believe that he's not even close to being that grizzled and worn by age. They freaking transformed him into a broken man on the edge of death.

Speaking of that category, I guess that Suicide Squad is technically an "Academy Award winning film". I... don't know how to process that...
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 4976
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 24 Jan 2018, 10:19

When is fashion going to give us colorful unitards with shoulder rings so we can stop having gritty scifi only feature conventional looking clothes?

Cosmos666
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 01:59

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cosmos666 » 24 Jan 2018, 13:34

LockheedAndLoaded wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 05:04
...Why the hell isn't Logan nominated for "Best Makeup and Hairstyling"? Every time I see pictures of Hugh Jackman in real life, I can't believe that he's not even close to being that grizzled and worn by age. They freaking transformed him into a broken man on the edge of death.

Speaking of that category, I guess that Suicide Squad is technically an "Academy Award winning film". I... don't know how to process that...
This category is very messy as a rule. It has only 3 nominees, it uses a shortlist and has to cover normal makeup, hairstyling and prosthetics. Just to show how messy it is, The Shape of Water wasn't even shortlisted despite the fact that they created a full physical monster out of makeup. Logan missing is par for the course.

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 657
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 24 Jan 2018, 13:47

I don't really know why the Oscars are viewed as the Holy Grail for movie-makers. Typical 'Oscars' movies (i.e. those that get multiple nominations, viewed in a golden light by the film critics etc.) bore me to high heaven. If a movie I like isn't nominated for an Oscar, it won't lessen my enjoyment, and I don't really think it's worth losing sleep over. If a film I enjoy does get plaudits, then good for them but I don't see value in appraising the appraisal of a body that clearly doesn't share the same opinions/tastes as me.

The Oscars are generally as relevant to me as the National Soap Awards are. Which is not at all.
GOTG Draft - The Infinity Watch
Recruits: Adam Warlock|Captain Universe (Tamara)|Star-Hawk|Phoenix IX|Oracle|Nova (Frankie Raye)|Mainframe|Replica|Mentor
Nemesis: The Magus

Cosmos666
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 01:59

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cosmos666 » 24 Jan 2018, 14:54

Everyone likes to be recognized for their work and the Oscars are the oldest awards giving to film in the world. Plus winning an Oscar does bring clout and opportunities to do anything you want.

However, I do agree that there is no intrinsic value to them but the value we imbue them with. And since the general audience does give them value, they do have value, specially as a validation to your tastes.

User avatar
WorldWideWade
Posts: 809
Joined: 04 Mar 2013, 18:49
Location: Texas

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by WorldWideWade » 24 Jan 2018, 16:00

I also believe Blade Runner 2049 was the best movie of the year but I understand why a majority old white guys can't appreciate sci-fi. I don't think the first Blade Runner was nominated either so the sequel is living up to the original in every regard. If Blade Runner doesn't win Cinematography though I will be upset...

I hope Shape of Water wins best picture out of all the choices and the consensus is that Del Toro will almost certainly get the Directing Oscar. While it would be fantastic if Peele or Gerwig actually won, I can't pretend like I won't be happy a creative visionary like Del Toro (or even Nolan if I'm being honest) wins. It looks like Peele and Gerwig are talented enough that they will get future shots at the gold.

As usual Pixar has no competition in the Animated category and the usually very competitive Best Actor category looks to be a sweep for Gary Oldman. In fact, the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories are much more interesting and competitive this year which I guess might signal progress in giving more females better and more interesting roles?
Pull List:
Astonishing X-men, X-men Red, Iceman, Generation X, Champions, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye, Marvel 2-in-One, Dr Strange, Runaways, Moon Knight, Captain America, Rogue/Gambit, Legion, New Mutants: Dead Souls

Dragonzombie
Posts: 16
Joined: 15 Jan 2018, 23:33

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Dragonzombie » 28 Jan 2018, 21:38

Never really fully watched the oscars. Not gonna start now with how they changed.

User avatar
Milkshake08
Posts: 1022
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 23:03

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Milkshake08 » 28 Jan 2018, 23:53

How they've changed? What does that mean?

And Spectral, a lot of Oscar films are genuinely great. Every year there's a pretty good mix of genuinely great, artistic, and envelope pushing films, and then a bunch of bores or "baits." I loved Moonlight, last year's Best Picture winner. Would I ever watch it again? Probably not. But it was fantastic. This year, Call Me By Your Name was beautiful, moody, romantic...and a bit of a bore in places, but it also was incredibly moving. Get Out, by contrast, was thrilling and genre-bending. Dunkirk was action packed, but I don't like it because war films annoy me. I can see where you say they are boring, but they deserve honor for their artistic merit, too. It's just unfortunate that action movies, horror, sci fi, and fantasy often get overlooked as being artistic as well.

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 4976
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 28 Jan 2018, 23:59

My keyboard had a tilde button this whole time?

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 1950
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 29 Jan 2018, 22:41

Perhaps controversial, but I really find “war” genres based in fact as really disrespectful and exploitative. Same with stuff like COD and games like that. Like... real people really died, and it’s cool to glamourise that and make a profit out of it? No. No thank you.
UNCANON WRITERS-- Kick me for feedback

"After all these years, how do you not instinctively fear me?" -- Veronica Mars

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 16387
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jan 2018, 23:53

At least with the films one could make that same argument for any fact based film in some regards but I’d have a hard time applying that sentiment generally since many historical films do a great job of exploring the complexities of historical events...Slavery in the USA was a several centuries long war on Black bodies and minds imo but I don’t think the world is a worse place because of 12 Years a Slave or the original roots. At least thats how I view it...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
RingOtaku
Posts: 1196
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 17:12
Location: The Library Of Stories Never Written

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by RingOtaku » 30 Jan 2018, 03:42

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 23:59
My keyboard had a tilde button this whole time?
It's a Brave New World my friend.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 1774
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Nu-D » 31 Jan 2018, 02:38

Spectral Knight wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 13:47
I don't really know why the Oscars are viewed as the Holy Grail for movie-makers.
Because Oscar winners are being given awards by their future employers and coworkers. Once you win an Oscar, your career is made. All the people with money in Hollywood want to give it to Oscar winners.

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3381
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cable » 31 Jan 2018, 02:43

Milkshake08 wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 23:53
It's just unfortunate that action movies, horror, sci fi, and fantasy often get overlooked as being artistic as well.
The one big exception was the year LotR: Return of the King was rightfully showered with awards. It won eleven Academy Awards including Best Picture.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 16387
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jan 2018, 03:44

Nu-D wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 02:38
Spectral Knight wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 13:47
I don't really know why the Oscars are viewed as the Holy Grail for movie-makers.
Because Oscar winners are being given awards by their future employers and coworkers. Once you win an Oscar, your career is made. All the people with money in Hollywood want to give it to Oscar winners.
I’ll add one caveat about the”your career is made” portion...some categories have been known to be notoriously unlikely for their winners some years. So its moreso that winning an Oscar ups your profile so that its more likely that you’ll have a good career.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 657
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 31 Jan 2018, 12:42

Milkshake08 wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 23:53
How they've changed? What does that mean?

And Spectral, a lot of Oscar films are genuinely great. Every year there's a pretty good mix of genuinely great, artistic, and envelope pushing films, and then a bunch of bores or "baits." I loved Moonlight, last year's Best Picture winner. Would I ever watch it again? Probably not. But it was fantastic. This year, Call Me By Your Name was beautiful, moody, romantic...and a bit of a bore in places, but it also was incredibly moving. Get Out, by contrast, was thrilling and genre-bending. Dunkirk was action packed, but I don't like it because war films annoy me. I can see where you say they are boring, but they deserve honor for their artistic merit, too. It's just unfortunate that action movies, horror, sci fi, and fantasy often get overlooked as being artistic as well.
My all-time favourite film franchise won one Oscar between three movies grossing over $900m (given when they were released, this was pretty damn impressive!). The three films combined scooped a grand total of one Oscar, in what in all intents and purposes is a bit of a joke category: Best Sound Effects Editing. In regards to film-making, these films piloted new visual FX technology, had a lasting impact on popular culture, and are still massively popular (look at the Secret Cinema tickets sold for this in London a couple of years back...)

I stand by that most movies with lots of Oscars nominations are boring. Does that mean all are? No, but I'd happily re-watch BTTF2 for the 50th+ time than watch 95% of Best Picture winners for the second time.
GOTG Draft - The Infinity Watch
Recruits: Adam Warlock|Captain Universe (Tamara)|Star-Hawk|Phoenix IX|Oracle|Nova (Frankie Raye)|Mainframe|Replica|Mentor
Nemesis: The Magus

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 16387
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jan 2018, 14:01

I like old films (1940-1969), so I couldn’t say 95%, but Ingetbyour point
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 16387
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jan 2018, 14:12

Just out of curiosity I looked up the Best Picture winners going back to the start of New Hollywood (1970) and now I really feel like I less agree with Spectral knight. I will say that bifurcation between popular cinema and high-art cinema has certainly gotten stronger in the recent two decades.

Moonlight*
Spotlight*
Birdman
12 Years a Slave
Argo
The Artist/
The King’s Speech
The Hurt Locker
Slumdog Millionaire
No Country for Old Men*
The Departed
Crash
Million Dollar Baby
LOTR:ROTK*
Chicago
A Beautiful Mind
Gladiator
American Beauty
Shakespeare in Love
Titanic
The English Patient/
Braveheart
Forrest Gump*
Schindler’s List
Unforgiven*
The Silence of the Lambs*
Dances with Wolves
Driving Miss Daisy
Rain Man*
The Last Emperor
Platoon
Out of Africa
Amadeus
Terms of Endearment
Gandhi
Chariots of Fire/
Ordinary People/
Kramer v Kramer*
The Deer Hunter
Annie Hall
Rocky*
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Godfather II*
The StinG
The Godfather*
French Connection*
Patton8*

Asterik indicates films I have watched more than once...and really I only wont rewatch 12 Years a Slave because it makes me angry toward white people (sorry) and Schindler’s List cause it makes me feel very sad.
And the slash are filma I’ve never seen. There are some amazing losers in that category btw as well. Which even thought they loat, their inclusion at least shows I definitely wouldnt aay thr Academy is totally off base
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 1950
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 31 Jan 2018, 16:11

I think the Oscars could stand to be more representative of all genres, realistically. Special effects and make up etc must surely be better represented within the science fiction and fantasy genres, surely? If I had to be 100% honest, when it comes to film and TV, I prefer something that I don’t really have to concentrate to watch. I like switching off my brain and enjoying what’s happening in front of me. A lot of the “Oscar bait” movies are all about the strong stories and performances— and rightly so. I wouldn’t want to see a nomination for a generic action movie because realistically the only range of acting you see in those films are various displays of anger. Was John Wick an enjoyable movie? Hell yes! Did Keanu turn in an Oscar-worthy performance? Well I mean... has he ever?

I guess my real point is that awards like “best picture/actor/actress” etc are nearly always going to go to the more emotive pieces. For an actor to turn out a performance that doesn’t just resonate with an audience but makes them feel a certain way on an almost primal level, across the board? That’s the sign of an incredibly talented actor worthy of winning an award, and certain genres, take horror for example... yeah, okay, maybe a performance will stay with you after the film, but if it doesn’t hit you with an emotional gut punch, for how long will it resonate with you afterwards? Things like biopics, historical dramas etc are always going to deliver that much more powerfully purely because the audience knows that those events actually happened (or versions thereof; Gandhi, Titanic, 12 Years a Slave, Schindler’s List), or are powerful and well adapted takes on a novel adaptation (Silence of the Lambs, LOTR), have a deep emotional storyline (Forrest Gump (which may not be on the list, I’ve typed too much to go back now ha ha ha), Silver Linings Playbook, Dallas Buyer’s Club)... I guess I’m just saying that certain subject matter lends itself far better to an emotive cinematic experience than others. As powerful a journey as Wonder Woman or Logan gave us, here’s still that element of separation from reality that lowers the viewer’s empathy for the character that the actor’s portraying. Yes, we feel for Logan, and he has a massive burden to bear, but we simply can’t put ourselves directly in his shoes because we know it isn’t a real-world situation. Of course Logan was wonderfully acted, and delivered a multitude of emotional gut punches, but if you ask whether Jackman did as much to bring a performance that truly conveyed the desperation of protecting his daughter against overwhelming odds, as as an actor who (hypothetically) played a similar character but as a single father trying to raise money to get his daughter across the border into Canada for an experimental treatment to cure her rare cancer... the more realistic story will always win out because it doesn’t require that mental jump that you need for suspension of disbelief in order to empathise more closely with A character in a fantastical environment.
UNCANON WRITERS-- Kick me for feedback

"After all these years, how do you not instinctively fear me?" -- Veronica Mars

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 657
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 31 Jan 2018, 16:29

Hypothetically, if a sci-fi/fantasy film features an actor that can deliver those emotional gut-punches and brings you into the setting despite the very unreal nature of the movie, their acting ability should be praised further than an actor that doesn't need to deliver a performance that will bridge the reality gap?

I.E actors/actresses have to work harder to convince the audience in an unrealistic setting that a realistic emotional driver exists than those in a realistic setting would do?
GOTG Draft - The Infinity Watch
Recruits: Adam Warlock|Captain Universe (Tamara)|Star-Hawk|Phoenix IX|Oracle|Nova (Frankie Raye)|Mainframe|Replica|Mentor
Nemesis: The Magus

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 1950
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 31 Jan 2018, 16:37

I agree entirely (clearly missed stating that in my rant there). I think it’s just a lot tougher to deliver that when there’s an element of separation from reality by a fantastical setting, if that makes sense?
UNCANON WRITERS-- Kick me for feedback

"After all these years, how do you not instinctively fear me?" -- Veronica Mars

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3381
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cable » 31 Jan 2018, 17:07

There are two impressive things the studios can do:

There are films that are intellectually and emotionally stimulating and which rightfully get most of the critical praise.

Then there are movies, and this mostly only Hollywood can do and is part of their modern "magic", that are big-budget epic productions that can create another world in a different time or place and make you believe it is real.

Blade Runner 2049 is both of these in such a spectacular way, and that's why it deserved Best Picture nom.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 4976
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 31 Jan 2018, 22:40

It had better win for best cinematography!
I forgot how haircuts work, & now I resemble Vandal Savage's less successful brother.

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3381
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cable » 01 Feb 2018, 21:58

Even though I only live a couple hours away I've never actually gone to see THE Groundhog in Punxsutawney. But on a whim I decided to do it tonight, so if you never hear from me again know I died somewhere in a Pennsylvania field doing a way too realistic Iceman cosplay.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 1950
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 01 Feb 2018, 22:27

Cable wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 21:58
Even though I only live a couple hours away I've never actually gone to see THE Groundhog in Punxsutawney. But on a whim I decided to do it tonight, so if you never hear from me again know I died somewhere in a Pennsylvania field doing a way too realistic Iceman cosplay.
You’re quitting the X-Men because you realised you’re gay and have a boyfriend now?

Jokes. Don’t freeze. It doesn’t sound like a fun way to die.
UNCANON WRITERS-- Kick me for feedback

"After all these years, how do you not instinctively fear me?" -- Veronica Mars

Post Reply