Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Cable

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cable » 09 May 2020, 20:09

P-90 wrote:
09 May 2020, 19:09

I don't pretend to be an expert on UK politics but there is the view that any vote not for the big two is a wasted vote, even the idea of voting for the third largest party is mostly seen as a joke. From what little I've read this is an even bigger problem in the US right? just how large is the gap between the third party and the big two?
It is even worse in a US presidential election because if someone does not get a majority of electoral votes then the election is decided by the House of Representatives. So if the Republican got 33%, the Democrat got 33%, and a third party candidates got 34%, (or any combination where nobody is over 50%)the House would vote on which of the three becomes President. Out of the 400+ Representatives, exactly 1 is not a Republican or Democrat party member.
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings
X-Writer--Gerry Duggan, Jonathan Hickman, Chip Zdarsky
X-Artist--Terry Dodson, Matteo Lolli, Mahmud Asrar

Non-X Writer--Jed MacKay, Greg Pak, Matthew Rosenberg
Non-X Artist--Ario Anindito, Otto Schmidt, Kris Anka

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 May 2020, 20:57

I disagree completely...Because if it were true than all the Bernie people and “I voted for Obama” POC voters for the Democrats would have just consolidated under Clinton in 2016...but they didn’t. And while it’s true many will vote for anyone to get Trump out of office, there will still be many more detractors, people who vote 3rd party, and those who opt of out voting in general because they refuse to support Biden. And will do so at rates much higher than people did in 2016 because they didn’t like Trump at first (and now support him almost religiously).

There’s more willingness to differentiate in a party that is a much broader coalition with differing goals. This is even more true on the institutional/“career” level, with legislators and governors showing much more solidarity behind the new Trump-GOP than you saw among the Democratic Party when Obama was President.

The Democratic party, (really the progressive left more broadly), is a far more diverse group overall (both ideologically and identity wise) than the GOP and the Trump-Right (identity wise this group is increasingly become more homogenous...older, white, non-college educated, rural and suburban). And so you’re way more likely, even now in a time of hyper-partisanship, to see divisions within that group than you are in the GOP*.

Now I will say that I think there is however, a fundamental difference now between the larger identity of the GOP and the traditional Conservative Movement writ large (this is different than people who just consider themselves conservative). The two used to be one and the same but Trump’s rise has certainly shed that unity and caused this kind of existential crisis over what is a Conservative in 2020 (that’s why you got dudes like David Brooks waxing poetically about what does it mean to be a Conservative nowadays). And it’ll be interesting to see how people who identity with what movement Conservative used to mean, will vote this fall.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 09 May 2020, 22:20

P-90 wrote:
09 May 2020, 19:09
Anna Raven wrote:
09 May 2020, 18:24
I think it's a matter of many factors. First it's just that it's barely even in the news because of Covid-19. Second, it's fairly easy to rationalize it for SOME Democrats (I stress some) because Trump obviously had his own accusers and allegations, and right now the general sentiment by most liberals is "anybody but Trump".

But this is something a ton of people warned about with Biden, and most people just shugged off as "oh he's just a higher" or "he's just touchy feely". Personally, I hate that the Democrats have hitched their wagon to someone with this kind of reputation when we had perfectly good alternatives. But in the end if it's Biden vs. Trump, I just have to bite the bullet and vote Biden because it's the lesser of two evils. Sadly, voting third party only ensures that your vote is not being counted.
I don't pretend to be an expert on UK politics but there is the view that any vote not for the big two is a wasted vote, even the idea of voting for the third largest party is mostly seen as a joke. From what little I've read this is an even bigger problem in the US right? just how large is the gap between the third party and the big two?
I think it depends where in the UK you're looking at it.

In England there's still LibDem seats, as well a Green (and probably an Independent or two) in addition to the big two
In Wales there's a few Plaid Cymru as well as Tories and Labour seats
Scotland is mostly SNP, with a few Tories and (maybe one or two?) Labour.
Northern Ireland is totally different politically to the rest of the Union with different voting lines.

I think the Westminster system, and not having an elected head of Government per se (we only elect MPs, they decide who is PM) does give you a bit more options and opportunity to return a non-big two MP. The chances of a PM coming from a different party from Labour or Tory is minimal but I don't think you should be discouraged from voting positively according to your political persuasion (rather than simple tactical votes). The Coalition Govt of 2010-5 showed minority parties could at least form a coalition, or at least a confidence and supply agreement that should give people confidence that it's not just an either/or decision. And the only way a two party system can be broken is with votes from outside that big two.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 May 2020, 08:26

... which UK were you living in for the coalition, because that wasn’t a true coalition at all, it was Tories bolstered by LibDems too excited to finally have a seat at the table to actually fight for any of their election promises. The coalition absolutely didn’t work, at all, in the slightest. I think the only campaign policy that I can remember off the top of my head that the libdems got passed in the time of the coalition was the furthering of LGBTQ rights, which would have passed anyway because the Tories wanted to be able to say they were the party to get it done to “prove” they were progressive, after blocking it every time Labour tried to get those changes to laws passed. Tuition fees trebled, there was no chasing big corporations for taxes that they owe, and it’s ultimately led to us having this biggest farce of a government we’ve ever had.

The coalition absolutely did NOT work.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 10 May 2020, 09:03

Whether or not it worked (which wasn't my argument at all), it showed that minor parties could enter Government.

And don't forget, Lib Dems did manage to bag the referendum on AV (something the Tories would never have campaigned for if they were a majority Government) and political reform was their single biggest pledge.

Plus they didn't really have enough clout to push for anything else after putting all their chips on reform, they only had 57 seats to the Tories 300+. In fact, on a purely numerical basis, they were over-represented in cabinet.

It was also fairly stable in terms of the Govt being able to legislate when needed. Unlike the closing days of May's or the initial days of Boris', there was a sense of order and control, even if you were opposed to policy.

Still, my point remains if you don't like a big two system, vote for someone else. The easiest way to ensure a system doesn't change is to do nothing about that system.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 May 2020, 21:00

Rank choice voting seems like a better idea more broadly...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 May 2020, 22:22

Cable wrote:
09 May 2020, 16:24
I've been depressed to see the difference in the reactions to the Brett Kavanaugh and Joe Biden sexual assault allegations. Either the Left is capable of just as much partisan delusion as the Trump-supporting Right, or they are aware but purposefully tried to publicly destroy a man for purely political purposes. I'm not sure which is worse. Both sides are disappointing and I am back to being an independent looking for a decent third option.
It’s perfectly reasonable to be disappointed by the Democratic Party’s apparent willingness to allow Biden to be nominated in the wake of these allegations. I also would like to see Biden step aside to protect the integrity of the party. And I agree a number of elected Democrats are being hypocritical in standing by him.

Personally, I think both men needed to withdraw from their respective nominations to preserve the integrity of their instututions. the Court, in particular, depends on its institutional integrity, and Kavenaugh’s presence has done more to harm it than any justice since Abe Fortas. The Democratic Party also needs to maintain its integrity, and Biden is prioritizing his own ambitions over the party’s interests. Cable’s reaction to this is Exhibit A in the damage Biden is doing.

I’m not willing to subject Reade to the same kind of public interrogation that Ford was subjected to. In that regard, I’m going to take for granted that these two situations are similar on the merits, and that Reade’s allegations are as credible as Ford’s were (which is debatable, but I’m not going there).

But it’s hyperbolic to say that Democrats were willing to “destroy” Kavenaugh’s life over the allegations. First of all, if Kavenaugh’s nomination had been withdrawn, he’d still be a life-tenured judge on the second most powerful Court in the country. If the allegations had an impact on his personal life, they would have had that impact regardless of the political response.

From the point of view of an elected democrat, the two situations are different not just on a partisan basis, but because of context and process. Kavenaugh’s was nominated by one man, and if he withdrew one man could have nominated a replacement. Biden, on the other hand, was nominated by millions of people in a time-consuming, expensive and complex process which cannot be re-done. Though an open convention is possible, it is substantially different than holding a new primary election.

Thus, it’s reasonable to have concluded that Kavenaugh needed to withdraw or Trump needed to withdraw the nomination, while also acknowledging that Biden is the Democratic nominee and that we’re stuck with him. Come November, He’s still the better of two bad choices (by a HUGE margin).
He/him/his

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 May 2020, 00:35

NuD makes the points I want to say, but I'm not smart enough to say them.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 11 May 2020, 10:33

tokenBG1009 wrote:
09 May 2020, 12:02
Guess I just got lucky and missed the timeframe it was up.

One more day at the old job. I teared up a bit tonight when I got in and I'm working my last day from home. It's gonna be rough.
And now it's over! No sense in looking back now. Good luck with the new job.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 May 2020, 23:52

Lavettye wrote:
11 May 2020, 10:33
tokenBG1009 wrote:
09 May 2020, 12:02
Guess I just got lucky and missed the timeframe it was up.

One more day at the old job. I teared up a bit tonight when I got in and I'm working my last day from home. It's gonna be rough.
And now it's over! No sense in looking back now. Good luck with the new job.
I've been sleeping at night for a single day and I am so. damn. tired.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 May 2020, 14:46

I have recently learned something distressing. My personal favorite desserts are anything "S'mores"-like. I have however heard that Australia does not have graham crackers. That for whatever reason such a product is simply not sold there. I know there are some Australians on the board and if any of them need me to send some graham crackers in the post let me know. Nobody should have to go without.
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 May 2020, 15:57

Fun Trivia: Graham Crackers were created by a New England minister as a way to distract yourself from carnal pleasures.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 May 2020, 16:05

Anna Raven wrote:
12 May 2020, 15:57
Fun Trivia: Graham Crackers were created by a New England minister as a way to distract yourself from carnal pleasures.
Well he failed because s'mores are a carnal pleasure.
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings

P-90

Post by P-90 » 12 May 2020, 18:31

Anna Raven wrote:
That's partly why Kellogg created cornflakes, according to Wikipedia he was a follower of Graham and cited him as an inspiration.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 May 2020, 18:48

Cable wrote:
12 May 2020, 14:46
I have recently learned something distressing. My personal favorite desserts are anything "S'mores"-like. I have however heard that Australia does not have graham crackers. That for whatever reason such a product is simply not sold there. I know there are some Australians on the board and if any of them need me to send some graham crackers in the post let me know. Nobody should have to go without.
Um. I really don’t know that we have them in the UK either 🤷‍♂️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 May 2020, 18:50

P-90 wrote:
12 May 2020, 18:31
Anna Raven wrote:
That's partly why Kellogg created cornflakes, according to Wikipedia he was a follower of Graham and cited him as an inspiration.

Business Wars (the podcast) has a great history of kelloggs VS General Mills series...

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 May 2020, 19:00

das_boot wrote:
12 May 2020, 18:48
Cable wrote:
Oh. My. God.
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 12 May 2020, 19:22

Nor here..... Cable, are we supposed to PM you our private addresses so that you can send us a sample each?
[PL_2.0]

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 May 2020, 20:01

Wow...this is wild lol

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 May 2020, 21:33

Horlicks powder kind of tastes like graham crackers.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 May 2020, 21:35

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
12 May 2020, 21:33
Horlicks powder kind of tastes like graham crackers.

Oh I LOVE Horlicks!

(Also because of American pronunciation, I’ve always assumed they were “Gram” crackers 🤷‍♂️)
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 May 2020, 22:11

Lavettye wrote:
12 May 2020, 19:22
Nor here..... Cable, are we supposed to PM you our private addresses so that you can send us a sample each?
Yes precisely. It's my humanitarian mission.
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 May 2020, 22:50

You're a generous lad.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 May 2020, 23:17

das_boot wrote:
12 May 2020, 18:48
Cable wrote:
But you have Walker’s Shortbread, which is 1000x better than any graham cracker I’ve ever had.

Also, while I’ve never tried it, I’d give up all three ingredients of s’mores just to know that this exists:
6CA855F1-5705-4EDA-8DB5-A987BF56DDF2.png
6CA855F1-5705-4EDA-8DB5-A987BF56DDF2.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 421 times
He/him/his