Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Spectral Knight

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 17 Dec 2018, 13:53

I remember an extended conversation with a friend about the pronunciation of the legendary average, ludicrously bleach blonde Portugese football and drug cheat Abel Xavier, referencing the X-Men cartoon pronunciation. Definitely Ecks-avier for me.

Always pronounced Xorn as Zorn. I know it should be Shorn, but...Still something in mind always reads it as Zorn.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 17 Dec 2018, 15:48

I went with Zorn. Yes it should be Shorn but... I'm an ignorant 'Murican!
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Dec 2018, 23:20

Zorn for Xorneto & Shorn for the Chinese ones.

How do we make hyperlinked text on this board?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Dec 2018, 01:59

I only pronounce the ecks in Xavier when saying it after "Charles". Otherwise, it's Charlezzzavier. But if, for instance, I'm talking about the Xavier School yadda yadda, I say Zavier. I also always pronounced Xorn "Zorn".

To do hyperlinked text, use the link button, but instead of pasting the URL in between them, do this:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.marvel.com]Excelsior![/url]
Which comes out like:

Excelsior!
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 19 Dec 2018, 03:12

Thank you very much!
I shall only use this power for evil!

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 22 Dec 2018, 01:45

I'm an Ecks-avier and Zorn guy. Funny it seems none reads it Exks-orn.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 22 Dec 2018, 23:36

Gibbering Fool wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 01:45
I'm an Ecks-avier and Zorn guy. Funny it seems none reads it Exks-orn.
My ex housemate had no idea how to pronounce Xorn so just kept referring to him as “the Chinese guy with a metal mask”, after assuming it was a hard sound and calling him “Korn” in front of our other housemate (like the band)
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 26 Dec 2018, 15:46

Is no one talking about the fact that Phyla-Vel is alive again thanks to Infinity War? I think this forum gave up on this "event".

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Dec 2018, 16:11

RingOtaku wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 15:46
Is no one talking about the fact that Phyla-Vel is alive again thanks to Infinity War? I think this forum gave up on this "event".

I read it and enjoyed it but like most non-X-books, if I don't think Cable is reading it, I usually don't post it LOL
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 26 Dec 2018, 16:27

Blackcyclops wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 16:11
RingOtaku wrote:

I read it and enjoyed it but like most non-X-books, if I don't think Cable is reading it, I usually don't post it LOL
I admit with these events since I'm rarely slobbering hype for them, I wait until it's over and binge read the event. So I just did it all over the past few days. lol

Cable

Post by Cable » 26 Dec 2018, 17:26

I read it and it was kind of a dud for me. It didn't help that it came out at the same time as Spider-Geddon because I was only going to get the tie-ins for one of them and I chose the latter.
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #10

Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #1

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Dec 2018, 19:17

RingOtaku wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 16:27
Blackcyclops wrote:
RingOtaku wrote:

I admit with these events since I'm rarely slobbering hype for them, I wait until it's over and binge read the event. So I just did it all over the past few days. lol
I think sometimes with something like this, it's treated like an event because of it's structure but this felt more like a cosmic mini-series like Annihilation than anything like House of M. I actually liked it...it was zany and alot more esoteric and I enjoyed it.

@Cable: Spider-ggedon was actually surprisingly good...and the way it was structured actually allowed plot threads to really be moved along for the various characters involved.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 26 Dec 2018, 19:25

Blackcyclops wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 19:17
RingOtaku wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 16:27
Blackcyclops wrote:

I think sometimes with something like this, it's treated like an event because of it's structure but this felt more like a cosmic mini-series like Annihilation than anything like House of M. I actually liked it...it was zany and alot more esoteric and I enjoyed it.

@Cable: Spider-ggedon was actually surprisingly good...and the way it was structured actually allowed plot threads to really be moved along for the various characters involved.
Oh I enjoyed it for sure. Just saying I didn't really go looking for threads earlier because I wasn't ready to talk about it. Yeah I thought it was set up well with the Prologue issues and the last year or so of GotG. That foreshadowing with Drax on Sax leading to Art Douglas returning was beautiful.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 27 Dec 2018, 13:13

Holy crap someone deleted the old pages

Today I took two Cheez-Its and put a mini kit-kat between them. I was amazed at my creation. It was delicious.

In other news, I'm going to start trying to lose weight again.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Dec 2018, 23:57

So I’m trying to choose between Dublin, Rome and Barcelona for a vacation for me and the lady in February...any thoughts? This is the one time all your opinions matter more than mine lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 28 Dec 2018, 00:39

Rome. More interesting architecture.

Wings

Post by Wings » 28 Dec 2018, 01:26

Blackcyclops wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 23:57
So I’m trying to choose between Dublin, Rome and Barcelona for a vacation for me and the lady in February...any thoughts? This is the one time all your opinions matter more than mine lol

I've never been to Barcelona or Rome. What I'll say for Dublin is to make sure you don't mind it raining while you're there if you go, because we get lots of it in Ireland. In terms of attractions and things to do, the good thing about Dublin is that you're only a couple of hours from the rest of Ireland's major cities maximum ( the journey by train or bus to Galway/Limerick/Belfast/Cork from Dublin would take between 2-3 hours) so if you wanted to do a daytrip or to spend a stint in any of those places it's not that much of a hassle.

Attractions-wise in Dublin itself you have:

The Phoenix Park- 707 hectare park containing Dublin Zoo as well as the residence of Ireland's President, Arás an Uachtarán, it's also home to a herd of fallow deer. The name comes from an anglicisation of the Irish "fionn uisce" meaning clear water. Other parks in the city include St. Stephen's Green and the Iveagh Gardens.

Kilmainham Jail- The largest unoccupied prison in Europe, where the leaders of the 1916 Rising were taken after the Easter Rising and executed, the jail has been converted into a museum which details the events of the Rising and that preceded and followed it, like the War of Independence and the Irish Civil War.

Dublin Castle- Was the seat of the British Government in Ireland prior to independence,and while most of the construction is more recent, the Castle's history runs back as far as the 12th Century. Bram Stoker worked here as a civil servant. The Dubh Linn Gardens are located next to it.

Trinity College-Oldest university in the country, home to the famed Book of Kells, an illustrated manuscript of the Four Gospels from 800 AD.

The Hugh Lane Gallery- An art gallery containing paintings by the likes of Monet and Renoir as well as the reconstructed studio of artist Francis Bacon.

There's also the National Gallery of Ireland, which is situated near Leinster House, where the Dáil and Seanad, the Irish parliament and senate sit and which contains a broad spectrum of work by Irish artists from the Bronze Age to the modern day.

National Botanic Gardens- Located in Glasnevin, a few km north of the city centre.

The Garden of Remembrance- Located in Dublin's Parnell Square, this is a site of commeration for those who died for Irish freedom.

The Quays/Temple Bar-You'll find a lot of bars, clubs and cafés around this area although prices here can be a bit higher than the rest of the city.

The Guinness Storehouse- Lotsa tourists come here for a taste of the black stuff.

There's also the Viking Bus tour that runs around the city and gives you the lowdown on the city's history, the Leprechaun Museum, the Immigration Museum, the GAA museum located at Croke Park is a good shout if you'd be interested in learning more about hurling and peil (Irish Football), the Dublin Writers Museum and probably lots more I can't think of off the top of my head... Dublin also has lovely beaches like the Sandymount Strand which are nice for walking along if the weather suits.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 28 Dec 2018, 01:32

I like all of those places, BC.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 28 Dec 2018, 13:07

Wait wait wait! My opinion counts more than yours this time? Oh... oh that’s sooo sweeet of you. :mrgreen:

And because I am a great an nice guy and italy isn’t that far away from me, I suggest Dublin.

I’ve been to Italy and rome before in the winter month, and it wasn’t quiet attractive as in late spring —> autumn/fall (whatever you call it)

Ireland is a place I‘ve never been before, but a lot of people I know love to travel there. The people there seem to be very friendly and kind, love society and provide hospitality.

So it depends how religious you are.

And if you are from the mighty USA, that’s also a plus if you go to Ireland. :lol:
Fantastic Force Vibraxas, Machine Man, Ms. Marvel (Sharon Ventura), Cerise, Sunspot, Folklore, Spiral, Sycamore, Starlight, Prosh

P-90

Post by P-90 » 28 Dec 2018, 14:13

RingOtaku wrote:
Are there now two versions of Heather Douglas in 616? I'm sure the original version recently appeared as a member of the 'Knowhere Corps' alongside Mantis, Bug, Cosmo and a new character named Prism. Did she die again in a book that I've missed or forgotten?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Dec 2018, 14:29

My wife and I liked Dublin. It’s a great place to visit.

That said, she loved Barcelona (I haven’t been). I think Barcelona is more romantic, and in February the weather there is going to be better than Dublin.

Cable

Post by Cable » 28 Dec 2018, 15:00

Blackcyclops wrote:
Do either of you speak Spanish or Italian? Travel can be less stressful in a place where you know you can communicate with everyone, so that is a plus for Dublin.
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #10

Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #1

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Dec 2018, 16:04

Cable wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 15:00
Blackcyclops wrote:
Do either of you speak Spanish or Italian? Travel can be less stressful in a place where you know you can communicate with everyone, so that is a plus for Dublin.

That’s true but if Rome or Barcelona are anything like Paria, where it felt like everyone spoke English, I think we’ll be fine. We both know some Spanish though.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 28 Dec 2018, 16:27

Blackcyclops wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 16:04
Cable wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 15:00
Blackcyclops wrote:

That’s true but if Rome or Barcelona are anything like Paria, where it felt like everyone spoke English, I think we’ll be fine. We both know some Spanish though.
Paria. Home of the Eyeful Tower.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Dec 2018, 16:54

The lingual franca of Barcelona is not Spanish, but Catalan. However, you should be fine with English and rudimentary Spanish. You’ll have fun using your Spanish.