Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Defenders #5

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Blackcyclops

Defenders #5

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Jan 2022, 13:54

Why is he so good? Ugh! I loved this entire series…amazing art, great dialogue, fantastic characters and a story that just…UgH! So mad it’s done…for now.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Cable

Re: Defenders #5

Post by Cable » 22 Jan 2022, 21:02

Damn what a trip. And I mean that in more ways than one. This is really a series to go back and read through and digest.

So am I understanding this correctly:
No idea what the First and Second Cosmos are.
Third Cosmos was a universe in which there was simply Nothing vs Something.
Then the Fourth Cosmos was the delineation between abstractions and the concrete.
The Fifth Cosmos was chaos grounded in magic.
The Sixth Cosmos was all logical and grounded in science.
And the Seventh Cosmos is what we know as the current Multiverse? (Although technically the Eighth Cosmos after it was destroyed and restarted after Secret Wars?)

I need to go back and read his different Ultimates books alongside this to try to piece together this grand cosmology Ewing has built.

Also when Eternity said he was just one cell of a larger Eternity I just turned my brain off for fear of madness.
Best Comics of Week 25

X-titles: Immortal X-Men #3 by Kieron Gillen (2) and Lucas Werneck (1)
Non-X titles: Amazing Spider-Man #4 by Zeb Wells (3) and John Romita Jr (3)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 23 Jan 2022, 00:02

The First Cosmos was the First Firmament, the main villain of Ewing's Ultimates run.

Did you notice the Third Cosmos' entities were precursors to the Sentry and the Void?
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jan 2022, 00:13

Monolith wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 00:02
The First Cosmos was the First Firmament, the main villain of Ewing's Ultimates run.

Did you notice the Third Cosmos' entities were precursors to the Sentry and the Void?

I did! And in fact, it made me wonder if Sentry/Void are due for a return in the next Defenders Ewing writes.

No other artist imo could have given this story the seriousness+comic book-y-ness it needed. Like the history of the MU that Waid wrote, Javier continues to amaze me.

@Cable: this isn’t the first time Eternity (universe) talked about a multiversal Eternity. That’s basically the embodiment of the “cosmos”, or the 8th Cosmos.

The first is called the First Firmament as Mono said.
The Second Cosmos has no name and is the first Multiverse.
The Third Cosmos has no name (Lifebringer One was stated as it’s big claim to fame, as Lifebringer One the first “hero”). The Fourth Cosmos is The Pilgrim aka the one who journeyed to the Land of Couldn’t Be Shouldn’t Be.
The Fifth Cosmos is the maker of magic and the creator of the illusion of change.
The Sixth Cosmos is all about science and “the junction to everywhere”
The Seventh and Eighth Cosmos is The Multiversal Eternity (which is composed of countless universal Eternities)

Mind you Ewing spoke about these cosmos in Ultimates #100 lol…
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

grief

Post by grief » 25 Jan 2022, 22:32

Monolith wrote:

I also took this to be an echo of Knull VS the Light, which occupies the same kind of conceptual space, just from the POV of Venom's new mythology.
My podcast, Comic Book Breakdown, updates Thursdays at https://comicbookbreakdown.libsyn.com/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Jan 2022, 22:35

grief wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 22:32
Monolith wrote:

I also took this to be an echo of Knull VS the Light, which occupies the same kind of conceptual space, just from the POV of Venom's new mythology.
Good catch…

Which strengthens the cosmology/history that Ewing has created.
-Cly