Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Powers of X #3 (SPOILERS)

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Nu-D

Re: Powers of X #3 (SPOILERS)

Post by Nu-D » 21 Aug 2019, 15:52

Dragonzombie wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 15:44
Moira goes back and alters the timeline every time after she dies, the other timelines cease to exist with her changes to the timeline due to her mutant power. She bypasses the Marvel rule of creating new universes happening.
Maybe. We don’t know for sure. Certainly, from her point of view that’s what is happening.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 Aug 2019, 16:27

If it is what’s happening? That’s super dark. She’s literally wiping out everyone alive at that point with her power
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Aug 2019, 17:31

Dragonzombie wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 15:44
Moira goes back and alters the timeline every time after she dies, the other timelines cease to exist with her changes to the timeline due to her mutant power. She bypasses the Marvel rule of creating new universes happening.
At least thats a theory...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Aug 2019, 18:27

das_boot wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 16:27
If it is what’s happening? That’s super dark. She’s literally wiping out everyone alive at that point with her power
Sort of. I mean, if it wipes reality clean, then they “never existed,” AND almost everyone e gets born again and to do it all over, no worse for the wear. Plus, if Moira can figure it out, the hope is the next round will be better for everyone than the last round.

Plus, what’s her alternative? Childhood suicide?

I’m all for the diverging timelines. I think it’s the neatest way for Marvel to keep all this time travel stuff sensible. I’m just not sure that plays in to how Hickman wants us to read this story. For Moira, the slate is wiped clean and she starts over with a form of prescience that she can try to use to make it better the next time. Even if those other timelines persist, she can’t be there and so as far as she’s concerned it never happened.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 Aug 2019, 18:30

Okay, but let’s work on the butterfly effect... she even states herself that the act of observing these changes can be enough to change things in HoX2, so the theory still doesn’t hold that if she does nothing, nothing changes
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 21 Aug 2019, 18:36

What makes that Moira at the end? More powerful than the embodiments of the cosmos? I mean the wonderful story Ewing wrote in Ultimates.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Aug 2019, 18:37

das_boot wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 18:30
Okay, but let’s work on the butterfly effect... she even states herself that the act of observing these changes can be enough to change things in HoX2, so the theory still doesn’t hold that if she does nothing, nothing changes
That’s true. But that doesn’t mean small changes necessarily become huge changes. Some small changes may go nowhere.

Say I go back in time to right before a house burned down, and a take a book that would otherwise be burned. Nobody will ever know that book is gone. There’s a minuscule difference in the heat from the flame, the volume of ash left over, the flow of air in that room. Those changes may well dissipate, like a drop of water in the sea, such that their effects are not felt beyond the local and momentary.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 21 Aug 2019, 18:45

I dont think she is resetting the timeline when she dies.

As far as we know there can only be two options:
1- Moira is traveling back in time to the moment she is a baby in the womb with the totality of her knowledge and her persona, as she is traveling in time she is the catalyst who is creating divergent timelines, timelines that actually move forward with or without her.
2. Moira is traveling back in time to an analogue reality to the moment she is still a baby in the womb, with the totality of all her previous lives and her personality.

In the Marvel Universe it has always been said that unless having a very specific tech (like the doomlock tech) traveling back in time and changing a significant event, sometimes even the most stupid event, could start a butterfly effect changing the whole timeline into a divergent one.
That would create a new timeline, like the ones visited in Exiles or in the What if comics.
Thats why Days of Future Past never got corrected in example, Rachel didnt even travel to the right timeline when she was projected to the past.

On a side note I was checking the whole Chimera stuff and...

1. Over the years it has been hinted that Polaris had an even stronger connection to the Magnetosphere, something Magneto used to channel her powers and power himself up. The fact "North" is composed by Polaris and Emma Frost could be a direct consequence of this... or maybe Magneto's DNA was not available because in Moira's 9th life both Xavier and Magneto died, years 19 and 21 respectively.

2. Percival/Ghost. Still a mystery, am I the only curious about him?

3. Rasputin. God, they really threw the house through the window... Rasputin (Both Magik and Colossus... at least), Pryde (Shadowcat), Quire (Quentin Quire... an omega level mutant added to the mix?????), Kinney (X23, right?) and Bain (who?????) I have the feeling she is going to survive somehow, I can feel she is the new Blink...
Last edited by Fenix on 21 Aug 2019, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Aug 2019, 18:52

I’m just saying Hickman hasn’t confirmed he’s playing by those old school Marvel rules. Maybe he is, but we don’t know it yet.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 21 Aug 2019, 19:13

Bain is Unus the Untouchable.

There are so many questions and thoughts still about this. I think Proteus will be a factor at some point. He can’t not be. Moira has a son who can alter the fabric of reality.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 21 Aug 2019, 19:16

3. Rasputin. God, they really threw the house through the window... Rasputin (Both Magik and Colossus... at least), Pryde (Shadowcat), Quire (Quentin Quire... an omega level mutant added to the mix?????), Kinney (X23, right?) and Bain (who?????) I have the feeling she is going to survive somehow, I can feel she is the new Blink...
[/quote]

Hopefully she will...Am I the only one who fell in love with her?

I really like POX same as HOX... Silva is surprising me every issue (except drawing weird faces like Magneto or Xavier in X0)...designs of chimeras or new Nimrod are just amazing..
Spoiler: show
Is there anybody in there who still thinks about life eleventh being 616 or definetelly tenth?
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 21 Aug 2019, 19:48

I think that the story is about Moira in her 10th life, thats why Hickman confirmed the title must be read as Powers/House of 10.

So it pretty much looks like our 616 Universe is based in the unexplored future/timeline which should be Moira's 11th life.
But with Hickman you never know...

Btw, I love Rasputin, its a badass... I just hope that if she survives these series she gets a proper codename. Having those powers (which could include Illyana's/Mikhail's portals...) really makes her a survivor.

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 21 Aug 2019, 20:13

Fenix wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 19:48
I think that the story is about Moira in her 10th life, thats why Hickman confirmed the title must be read as Powers/House of 10.

So it pretty much looks like our 616 Universe is based in the unexplored future/timeline which should be Moira's 11th life.
But with Hickman you never know...

Btw, I love Rasputin, its a badass... I just hope that if she survives these series she gets a proper codename. Having those powers (which could include Illyana's/Mikhail's portals...) really makes her a survivor.
Totally in the same boat about lifes, but as you said, who knows with Hickman?

and totally in the same boat with Rasputin...has the kind of attitude I loved from classic X-Women characters like Rogue or Rachel ...being a chimera makes her even more interesting for me, but Im in love with her since first preview, so...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Aug 2019, 20:31

So I’m the only one who while I enjoyed them, I don’t really want a new mutant on the X-Men just yet lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 21 Aug 2019, 20:38

No I’m the same. Cardinal and the rest were interesting, but I have no desire to see them regularly. They fit the purpose for the story and now they’re done, let them exist on the alt sections of our spotlights.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 21 Aug 2019, 20:40

Blackcyclops wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 20:31
So I’m the only one who while I enjoyed them, I don’t really want a new mutant on the X-Men just yet lol
But man, shes so cool for just 3-4 issues lol :D

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 21 Aug 2019, 23:24

Blackcyclops wrote:
Mark me as a third. They were interesting but id lose no sleep not seeing them again.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Aug 2019, 23:51

XtremeOne1 wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 23:24
Blackcyclops wrote:
Mark me as a third. They were interesting but id lose no sleep not seeing them again.

Unless we get a new Exiles!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Aug 2019, 23:53

I could see Rasputin surviving, considering black holes involve a lot of timey-whimey stuff that could end up shunting her through to the main timeline.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 21 Aug 2019, 23:53

Don’t ask for things the world is not ready for. Otherwise we get another short lived Exiles run with mostly annoying characters.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 22 Aug 2019, 01:12

Count me as someone who never wants to see these Chimera characters ever again.

Great for the purpose they served but I desperately do not want them in the main universe.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 22 Aug 2019, 01:53

Fenix wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 18:45
2. Percival/Ghost. Still a mystery, am I the only curious about him?
I think he's probably a decendent of Fabian Cortez.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 22 Aug 2019, 06:57

InsipidLust wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 01:12
Count me as someone who never wants to see these Chimera characters ever again.

Great for the purpose they served but I desperately do not want them in the main universe.
This should come as a surprise to no one, but I'd also never like to see them again.

PoX 3 was better than the previous two issues. It felt like 1 & 2 were setup for this and they somehow, only in my opinion, suffered for it. It was a weird combination of "in media res" and "laying the groundwork" wrapped into one. The two combining ended up making me not really care about anything that happened in PoX because I had no idea how it related to everything.

Hopefully, PoX 4 onwards takes place in the normal time with characters we're actually attached to once again. HoX/PoX has largely been about setting up pillars with X, Magneto, and Moira, three characters I honestly don't care much about, but at least HoX felt like it had a real impact on the here and now. PoX felt so disconnected from everything so I didn't care about anything it had to say. Even if it was well written.

All of this to say, maybe PoX won't be so bad.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 22 Aug 2019, 07:16

@Fenix: The name Bain was already provided in PoX #1 along with his power-set. (forcefield) It refers to Gunther Bain, a.k.a Angelo Unuscione, a.k.a. Unus the Untouchable.

@Nu-D: I think I posted something similar about the cruelty of Moira's repetitive early years in the thread about HoX #2, and I think Larraz captured little Moira's bored/annoyed/emotionally detached face perfectly. Can you imagine the horror of recollecting several lifetimes of scientific, award-winning research only to be treated as a toddler again and having to play along your parents trying to teach you Itsy Bitsy Spider for the tenth time?

BTW… the soundtrack for Moira‘s life would be this Glee song from an episode about original songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6C4HTfng0
Especially such lines as „I feel the weight of the world is on my shoulders“ and „how many times will it take for me to get it right“.

Overall, this was another good, enjoyable issue that has me running several ideas how it all might connect. I also got a sense of entering the next phase of the story. The first four issues were all world building and mysteries. This issue was the first to provide answers or confirm some theories we had been running, although it did raise other questions while doing so.

Things answered/confirmed:
- the ID of the person in the sarcophagus
- X2 was set in Moira IX‘s life
- Moira is gathering specific information that she needs for the next or rather her final lifetime

This issue also established that Moira shows her truth not only to the Xaviers of each life. Here, Wolverine knew that she would reboot. Apparently Apocalypse told Logan, but for that Apocalypse must have learned it from Moira herself.

Moira‘s ninth death now opens the new question whether X3 is part of the same timline as X2. What would be the point of Hickman showing us the 1000 year future of X3, even though Moira is dead. It‘s data she doesn‘t have access to and which won‘t affect her decisions in life ten. Idea time:
Spoiler: show
So… is it a different lifetime? I‘d also wonder which Moira version would be able to live for 1000 years, if Mother Akkaba only made it to 129 years. Possibly a Moira who got turned into a machine, like maybe an Omage Sentinel? Is that what happens in lifetime VI ? It would explain her hatred for all things Sentinel and her going after the Trasks in life VII.

Still, IMO the Cylobel connection is too strong for it not to be the same timeline. Granted, Cylobel could end up in the bath in more than one future. But such a deliberate red herring seems not to be Hickman‘s style. His plot elements are usually more elegeant than that.
There is another option for X3 being relevant, even without Moira: Nimrod. We know from the original stories featuring Nimrod, that he is cabale of time-travel and cross-time travel. So maybe X3 is something that Nimord experiences and sends back though time. So we‘d have Moira manipuating events one way, and Nimrod trying to alter them towards another direction.

Crazy thought…. could timeline VI be the Days of Future Past timeline? We never learned what became of Moira in that one, did we?

Over the last week, I did re-read some older Moira scenes, and found a few intresting bits:
a) Moira‘s and Xavier‘s professor at Oxford apparently was Sinister in disguise. In UXM #389 Xavier says he couldn‘t read his mind, and Xavier makes the connection in Excalibur v.3 #14 that Moira‘s Oxford mentor was Sinister in disguise
b) a flashback in Excalibur #79 shows Moira and Xavier vacationing together after Oxford, they discuss human/mutant relations, and Xavier clearly thinks Moira is human
c) this scene in UXM #142, during which they discuss the ramifications of DOFP Kate Pryde sending herself through time, makes it also seem like Xavier has no idea of Moira‘s truth here
uxm142.jpg
uxm142.jpg (237.4 KiB) Viewed 359 times
b and c make me believe that the scene on the Oxford bench does NOT occur in life X. While they could make it work with mental blocks installed by Xavier, it would be messier than it needs to be. The bench scene could happen in life V and/or life VI. The timeline chart only said Moira X meets Xavier at age 17, not that she reveals the full truth. For age 43 it says, she and Xavier recruit Magneto… maybe Moira recruited Xavier not much earlier than that? It also provides reason for her breaking up with Xavier and running off with Joe MacTaggert – she couldn‘t let Xavier get that close too early on, as there was always a chance he might pick up a stray thought.
Last edited by Lavettye on 22 Aug 2019, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
[PL_2.0]

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 22 Aug 2019, 08:11

Really I don't see reasons to assume Moira's deaths end whole timelines. That would mean Pyro ended the universe of Moira 3 by killing her, which would be an odd move, especially when Destiny may well see that coming.

This issue was cool. Focusing on 1 time throughout the whole issue made me more invested... seeing Cypher in an important roie is great, I love Cypher.

What I enjoyed most of all was the attitude of this Apocalypse. I wasnt sure if I liked the idea of Moira (still "our" Moira for all intents and purposes) going evil in some iterations. Now, it seems like working with Moira actually made Apocalypse softer, kudos.