Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Talk about the Video games till the cows come home!
Anna Raven

Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Apr 2019, 21:02

EphemeristX wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 19:20
It's cool to see Nightcrawler on here. He's a bit of a deep cut these days (unfortunately), and I think he'll bring a really cool power set to the table.

So far, we have nine MCU Avengers, all five guardians, four X-Men, four Spidey characters, two Inhumans, two Mystics, and Fury.

I played a Switch for the first time over at a friend's house this weekend. Even conjoined, the Joy Cons are way too small for my hands. Like, my knuckles are rubbing together underneath. I'd almost fallen under the sway of the Switch, too.
Still crying this isn't for all platforms. :(
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Cable

Post by Cable » 16 Apr 2019, 21:59

If they ditched Lockjaw and Spider-Gwen and added Angel and Beast then we would have a solid roster
Best X-Comic last week: House of X #6
Best non X-Comic last week: Punisher #16

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 17 Apr 2019, 07:32

EphemeristX wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 19:20
It's cool to see Nightcrawler on here. He's a bit of a deep cut these days (unfortunately), and I think he'll bring a really cool power set to the table.

So far, we have nine MCU Avengers, all five guardians, four X-Men, four Spidey characters, two Inhumans, two Mystics, and Fury.

I played a Switch for the first time over at a friend's house this weekend. Even conjoined, the Joy Cons are way too small for my hands. Like, my knuckles are rubbing together underneath. I'd almost fallen under the sway of the Switch, too.
Holding the switch with the joy cons on the side of the console isn't too bad. It's a bit different using the cradle that comes with the system. I'm probably going to buy a pro controller for this though.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 17 Apr 2019, 11:56

I don't mind the Joy Cons on the standard cradle.

Playing on each Joy Coy separately is a pain though for my big hands... especially when it's Mario Kart on a flight... probably not how developers imagined how a multiplayer championship would be experienced.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 17 Apr 2019, 18:17

I think it's cool that Nightcrawler is playable but I'm really hoping for Cyclops. His powers are just great for games like this. Nightcrawler on the other hand... I can't recall it ever feeling quite satisfying to play as in any of his video game appearances.
Twitter: @TonyBWood

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Apr 2019, 19:29

His rapid-fire teleportation attacks in X-Men Legends were really fun. I hope they keep his power/agility/swashbuckling skill trees. Much of the customization went away in those later games.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 08 May 2019, 03:11

I edited my previous post with the character roster to reflect the following change and additions:
Spoiler: show
Crystal and Lockjaw are a single character in the same way as Rocket and Groot
Hawkeye (Clint) and Ms Marvel have been announced as playable characters

Cable

Post by Cable » 23 May 2019, 14:36

A trailer specifically centered around X-Men has been released and I will update the character roster on the previous page to reflect what appears to be two new X-Men additions:
Spoiler: show
Magneto and Psylocke

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 23 May 2019, 15:46

And Beast, apparently. I wouldn't be surprised if Cyclops and Colossus make the squad too since they're on the painting with all the other playable X-Men (and Xavier).

Dammit. Now, I'm back to wanting to get this.

Cable

Post by Cable » 23 May 2019, 16:00

It isn't clear whether Beast is playable or just present as an NPC. I wish Nintendo would release an actual official roster somewhere.

EDIT: I added him and some other characters that have been revealed in shots to the roster on the previous page.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 12 Jun 2019, 18:59

The E3 trailer just came out.

Beast is among the other playable X-Men in their team shot, so I'm gonna say he's playable. He still hasn't been shown in combat, so I'm not gonna say super-duper confirmed, but I think it's more than likely. Other confirmed characters include:

Ghost Rider
Elsa Bloodstone
Luke Cage

The Nova Corps was also shown, so I bet we'll get a Nova.

At the end, they advertised an expansion pack that will have content from:

Marvel Knights
X-Men
Fantastic Four

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Jul 2019, 04:54

Reviews are drifting in. Looks like it's a fun but kind of repetitive return to form, with it being a good but not great entry to the series.

Not sure if I take the plunge in this or wait the two weeks for the latest Fire Emblem game, and get Black Order later in the year.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jul 2019, 07:53

Well, if it's any help, Cyclops and Colossus are being added as free DLC on August 30th, and the first chapter of the expansion will be Marvel Knights, which will have Blade, Morbius, Moon Knight, and Punisher (and possibly more, going by the wording of the reveal). Loki is also playable as part of the main roster.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 19 Jul 2019, 08:47

I might hold off on this then until a few dlcs are out, including the X-Men.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Cable

Post by Cable » 19 Jul 2019, 18:12

The biggest issue from the mediocre reviews is they are saying the leveling system makes it so you can't just swap out characters when you want, unless you want to do a large amount of grinding to get them up to level. It is a poor gameplay decision in a game in which one of the features is all the cool characters. I was going to actually get a Switch just for this game but I am not so sure I will.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jul 2019, 18:23

I actually prefer it that way. It adds playtime and it forces you to actively (or semi-actively) level your peeps consistently. The easiest way to do that is to semi-swap (keep 2 or 3 high levels) and the newbies will level hella fast in the later parts of the game. All auto-levelling did for me was have me barely use a bunch of the playable cast.

grief

Post by grief » 30 Jul 2019, 23:25

My wife and I have been playing MUA3.

The game does a great job introducing and integrating the various pieces of the Marvel Universe. We're seven chapters in, I think, and that part is great. The characters look great for the most part, they sound great, and some of the story-elements have surprised me. There are a few misses - Klaw looks like his comic book version, but the VA tried to sound like Andy Serkis, and it just does not work - but there are many more hits. The VA for Magneto legit sounded like Ian McKellan when he first appeared.

The gameplay IS repetitive. After playing through a stage, you either level up by RE playing that stage again and again or by doing Infinity Trials, which are missions with a purpose - kill 200 characters, beat a time trial, get X amount of combo points. The game makes it pretty easy to move from stage to stage, allowing the player to load in at various points in each level. Don't like fighting the Sandman? Skip him. Enjoyed beating Mysterio? Load up before you encounter him and run to him. Maybe you liked a specific stage you want to explore or DIDN'T like a particular stage - skip that crap.

The character list has all the big classics that you'd expect, but there are some surprising characters. With Marvel having moved on from the Inhumans, Crystal seemed like a weird choice for me, as did Elsa Bloodstone. Thane makes an appearance as part of the plot which I was REALLY not expecting - his story in the comics having gone pretty much nowhere in my opinion.

In order to power-up your characters, you do level up as you play the game. Each time you level up, you get points that you can spend powering up your four individual powers - each character gets four. Our mains - Hulk, Ghost Rider, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye - are nearly at level 50 and almost have all of their powers at full strength. You also acquire Advancement Points, which can be spent in the Lab to power up your entire cast. These are things like increasing defense by 2.00% or increasing Health or Defense or Ranged attacks. We did not realize this OR play with that at ALL for nearly all of level 2 - the Raft - and we got stomped. Once we realized to play with that, we've been pretty boss.

Thankfully for me, my wife is okay with level grinding. I left the house one day and we were at level 25, I came home and we were at 38. o.0 But we've had a blast playing it for the most part. Playing it WITH someone, to me, is the key. If I was just grinding for like six hours a day, I'd hard pass. But running stages with my wife has been fun, teaming up is great, and exploring the Marvel Universe is fun for us.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Wings

Post by Wings » 31 Jul 2019, 14:06

Playing this with the Switch-owning boyfriend this evening, can't wait to see how it plays.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 08 Aug 2019, 02:52

Finally got around to getting this. It's fun but still doesn't quite have the magic of the first X-Men Legends imo.

I'm kind of bummed that Cyclops is DLC because once I'm done with the story mode, I'm not entirely sure I'll want to play through it again.

Favorite character to play as so far is Wanda oddly. The animation for her attacks are beautiful.

Wings

Post by Wings » 08 Aug 2019, 08:30

Yeah, I'm missing the downtime between missions and the special dialogue between characters with history from the first two MUA games. The first game was my first proper introduction to the Marvel Universe in its entirety and I miss that sense of history and discovery. The cutscenes haven't really done much for me, with a lot of the interactions being purely functional to get us from point A to point B thus far. I've enjoyed playing the new characters. Scarlet Witch, Crystal and the Wasp are really fun.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Aug 2019, 15:29

The character DLCs are supposed to come with more story content, at least.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 08 Aug 2019, 15:37

I was going to buy it today but the only store in my town that sells games had it for £50. Gonna wait for it to be in the bargain bin.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 08 Aug 2019, 20:19

Wings wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 08:30
Yeah, I'm missing the downtime between missions and the special dialogue between characters with history from the first two MUA games. The first game was my first proper introduction to the Marvel Universe in its entirety and I miss that sense of history and discovery. The cutscenes haven't really done much for me, with a lot of the interactions being purely functional to get us from point A to point B thus far. I've enjoyed playing the new characters. Scarlet Witch, Crystal and the Wasp are really fun.
I was hoping I just hadn't gotten up to that yet but yeah I loved wandering the mansion in X-Men Legends 1 between missions, using the danger room, gossiping with NPCs, trivia, etc.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Aug 2019, 20:35

No hub? Lame. Downtime is what makes RPG games feel immersive, in my eyes. In X-Men Legends, you got to run around the school and talk to everybody and it was the most fun. Every time I got through a mission, I'd talk to every single one of my teammates to hear their thoughts on things. A habit I got from Final Fantasy, I guess.