Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Game of Thrones

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
hotknives

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by hotknives » 21 May 2019, 14:38

If Sansa had wanted Brienne to stay - she would have asked for it, but I think she recognised that Brienne's rightful place was Head of the Kingsguard.

I think this season was far too quick - and some journeys weren't handled as well as they could have been. Am I satisfied with where everybody ended up though? Without a doubt.

Bran as King makes a lot of sense - he never wanted the throne, has no desire for power (or desire at all) and is likely to prove a fair, wise ruler who has the benefit of seeing all of history in making his decisions.

Sansa as Queen of the North I'm hugely happy with - she's a character who has probably changed the most since her first appearance, but, certainly in the last few series, has been dedicated to guiding and protecting the north. Seeing her utilise the lessons learnt along her way, was gratifying to me, and her place felt very earned.

Arya - I'm glad she chose something over than death - the thought of her continuing on adventures made me smile a lot

Jon - He's come full circle - and we know that he'll still be able to see his family/Sansa and Bran, so his ending wasn't all that sad - especially as know that whilst he can't take a wife it doesn't stop the Nights Watch finding love. I liked the references to Maester Aemon - fitting that there's a Targaryen at the wall again.

Bronn - Yeah, him being master of coin did seem odd - but we know Tyrion respects him, so okay, I guess?

Dany - I understand why people are upset - but I thought her end was fittingly tragic. Emilia Clarke is such a fantastic actress - I was sad to see the actress and character go, but it was Dany's time

As for "A Song of Ice and Fire" being written by a Maester - I mean, it was cheesy, but I didn't hate it. I'm guessing it was in there for fans of books, as I'm guessing a lot of casual viewers wouldn't have got the reference
"These are two hundred dollar Italian cashmere Kiki de Montparnasse stockings, Kurt. I'll only kneel in them if absolutely necessary."

medium13

Post by medium13 » 21 May 2019, 16:56

The resolution of Sansa's storyline is one of the only things I really liked about the finale. I had to shush my friend's boyfriend during the episode when he was making comments about Sansa. Sansa kept her eye on the finish line by remembering the goals of her people, a Northern kingdom independent of the Iron Throne. She finished what Robb haphazardly started, and her devotion to the losses her family suffered as a result were reflected in her amazing costuming as Queen. But unlike Robb or Jon, Sansa has the undivided loyalty of the North (and it's relatively clear the Vale as well despite Robyn's appearance) since she removed the Boltons and had a hand in removing Cersei and Dany. Before agreeing to install her brother to the Iron Throne, he had acquiesced to Northern Independence. She doesn't need to protection of Brienne anymore. I also pondered yesterday if there is an offscreen between Brienne and Sansa to that effect. It would have been nice to use some of the time allotted to that idea.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 May 2019, 18:08

I loved Arya's epilogue because she literally became Queen Nymeria, the legendary explorer/warrior/sea voyager who she named her wolf after.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 21 May 2019, 18:34

medium13 wrote:
21 May 2019, 16:56
The resolution of Sansa's storyline is one of the only things I really liked about the finale. I had to shush my friend's boyfriend during the episode when he was making comments about Sansa. Sansa kept her eye on the finish line by remembering the goals of her people, a Northern kingdom independent of the Iron Throne. She finished what Robb haphazardly started, and her devotion to the losses her family suffered as a result were reflected in her amazing costuming as Queen. But unlike Robb or Jon, Sansa has the undivided loyalty of the North (and it's relatively clear the Vale as well despite Robyn's appearance) since she removed the Boltons and had a hand in removing Cersei and Dany. Before agreeing to install her brother to the Iron Throne, he had acquiesced to Northern Independence.
I liked the outcome of Sansa keeping rule of the north but the execution of that outcome was so absurd it spoiled it entirely for me. Realistically every other region would have demanded the same independence and so the idea Sansa maneuvered this outcome in spite of the adversity to it that would have surely ensued is so glaring that it kills any charitable interpretation I could subscribe to that this is an organic (much less a realistic) outcome. Rather, that possibility was totally undermined by the knowledge that this outcome does not fit this world or its characters (meaning it could never have happened THAT way) and so shatters my suspension of disbelief. It felt to me like an ending fitting for the childish naivete of a C.S. Lewis reader and entirely unworthy of such an amazingly complex series with such a well-developed history. I hate that such a masterpiece series ended on what felt like an amateurish and clumsy tone (but I suppose no ending would satisfy the masses so no use fixating on it).

medium13

Post by medium13 » 21 May 2019, 18:52

Oh, I totally missed the idea that Arya's journey parallels Nymeria's. That's neat I guess. I also agree with you LimboMaster, that Sansa's bid for independence was not executed well. I wrote as much in my original write up for this episode albeit not as eloquently- as you.

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 21 May 2019, 19:53

medium13 wrote:
21 May 2019, 18:52
I also agree with you LimboMaster, that Sansa's bid for independence was not executed well. I wrote as much in my original write up for this episode albeit not as eloquently- as you.
Indeed you did. Sorry, I would have just agreed with you had I caught it then ;)

P-90

Post by P-90 » 21 May 2019, 20:43

hotknives wrote:
21 May 2019, 14:38
If Sansa had wanted Brienne to stay - she would have asked for it, but I think she recognised that Brienne's rightful place was Head of the Kingsguard.

I think this season was far too quick - and some journeys weren't handled as well as they could have been. Am I satisfied with where everybody ended up though? Without a doubt.

Bran as King makes a lot of sense - he never wanted the throne, has no desire for power (or desire at all) and is likely to prove a fair, wise ruler who has the benefit of seeing all of history in making his decisions.

Sansa as Queen of the North I'm hugely happy with - she's a character who has probably changed the most since her first appearance, but, certainly in the last few series, has been dedicated to guiding and protecting the north. Seeing her utilise the lessons learnt along her way, was gratifying to me, and her place felt very earned.

Arya - I'm glad she chose something over than death - the thought of her continuing on adventures made me smile a lot

Jon - He's come full circle - and we know that he'll still be able to see his family/Sansa and Bran, so his ending wasn't all that sad - especially as know that whilst he can't take a wife it doesn't stop the Nights Watch finding love. I liked the references to Maester Aemon - fitting that there's a Targaryen at the wall again.

Bronn - Yeah, him being master of coin did seem odd - but we know Tyrion respects him, so okay, I guess?

Dany - I understand why people are upset - but I thought her end was fittingly tragic. Emilia Clarke is such a fantastic actress - I was sad to see the actress and character go, but it was Dany's time

As for "A Song of Ice and Fire" being written by a Maester - I mean, it was cheesy, but I didn't hate it. I'm guessing it was in there for fans of books, as I'm guessing a lot of casual viewers wouldn't have got the reference
This :)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 22 May 2019, 09:02

Anna Raven wrote:
21 May 2019, 18:08
I loved Arya's epilogue because she literally became Queen Nymeria, the legendary explorer/warrior/sea voyager who she named her wolf after.
Oh, that is lovely! Great spot
"These are two hundred dollar Italian cashmere Kiki de Montparnasse stockings, Kurt. I'll only kneel in them if absolutely necessary."

medium13

Post by medium13 » 22 May 2019, 16:12

No need to be sorry. I wish I had written it as well.