Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Avengers 4

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: Avengers 4

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 May 2019, 17:51

Just for once I'd like to meet some aliens flummoxed by Earth's scientific feats.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 May 2019, 18:47

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
03 May 2019, 17:51
Just for once I'd like to meet some aliens flummoxed by Earth's scientific feats.
I can’t think of an example right now, but wouldn’t that only happen if humans visit aliens on their home world? I think the assumption is any species that can get to Earth is going to be “more advanced” than humans, ‘cause we can’t get there. Of course, in the MCU and 616 we can, so...

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 03 May 2019, 22:02

@RingOtaku: In context, Reed told Hank that in the middle of an argument, where both men were clearly getting heated. A better (if no less humble) quote came when Reed consulted with Hank in FF #546. He told Hank, "You're the foremost biochemist on Earth. It would take me several weeks to master biochemistry to your level of expertise."

@EMP: Plenty of "Prime Directive" episodes of Star Trek about that. Although one of my favorite examples of aliens trying to understand human culture was this book I read back in grade school. Basically, aliens were coming to Earth as tourists and the kid protagonist ended up as "tour guide". He had to explain television to one alien, who didn't understand the concept of acting. Ended with a great quote: "You PAY people to LIE to you?"
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 May 2019, 23:30

It's also kind of the plot of Galaxy Quest if you think about it. The advanced but naive aliens who come to earth in search of "historical documents".
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 04 May 2019, 08:50

I'm trying to think back to the last season of Agents of Shield and whether their time travel contradicted the rules established in Endgame.

They did travel back and changed the future, stopping Graviton from destroying the world...could the main MCU we saw in Endgame be a branched timeline? :o

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 04 May 2019, 16:16

I think at this point, shield and all Marvel tv shows are in their own reality

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 May 2019, 01:37

Considering all Marvel TV shows reference the movies I doubt that unless they're in an alternate universe where the same things happen.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 05 May 2019, 08:25

tokenBG1009 wrote:
05 May 2019, 01:37
Considering all Marvel TV shows reference the movies I doubt that unless they're in an alternate universe where the same things happen.
The majority of Marvel TV shows are in no way, shape or form acknowledged by the movies. After about six seasons of existences, and over a dozen seasons of show, only one has been given any sort of acknowledgement is Agent Carter(with the casting of Jarvis). It's no coincidence that the writers of Endgame created Agent Carter.

I just think, with Marvel Studios having their own bunch of shows, and Feige's bad relationship with the people at Marvel TV, I just feel these shows are basically part of their own little world. Sometimes worlds(The lack of connection between the Netflix show with Shield, with SHIELD with any ABC Family Show, with Runaways with anything). Even Ghost Rider for HULU, despite being played by the same actor, is being called a "new iteration with no connection to SHIELD". You think the MCU will ignore the Disney + shows like they've done all the others? I doubt it.

And with the X-Men coming into the MCU, the chances of Inhumans having any sort of role is even slimmer. That seemed like the one big contribution Marvel TV was going to make the MCU, and then...it wasn't.

I'm not saying officially they're in a different universe, but unofficially..They pretty much are.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 May 2019, 11:54

XtremeOne1 wrote:
05 May 2019, 08:25
tokenBG1009 wrote:
05 May 2019, 01:37
The majority of Marvel TV shows are in no way, shape or form acknowledged by the movies. After about six seasons of existences, and over a dozen seasons of show, only one has been given any sort of acknowledgement is Agent Carter(with the casting of Jarvis). It's no coincidence that the writers of Endgame created Agent Carter.

I just think, with Marvel Studios having their own bunch of shows, and Feige's bad relationship with the people at Marvel TV, I just feel these shows are basically part of their own little world. Sometimes worlds(The lack of connection between the Netflix show with Shield, with SHIELD with any ABC Family Show, with Runaways with anything). Even Ghost Rider for HULU, despite being played by the same actor, is being called a "new iteration with no connection to SHIELD". You think the MCU will ignore the Disney + shows like they've done all the others? I doubt it.

And with the X-Men coming into the MCU, the chances of Inhumans having any sort of role is even slimmer. That seemed like the one big contribution Marvel TV was going to make the MCU, and then...it wasn't.

I'm not saying officially they're in a different universe, but unofficially..They pretty much are.
I'd definitely say there are tiers. The movies are the ceiling and all the TV content is looking up referencing what happens.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 06 May 2019, 17:19

I think I've searched and 'not' found this is the comments so far: How is it that the timeline is not actually altered if past versions of Nebula and Thanos were killed before their recent roles in the MCU (such as Nebula bonding with Gamora and Thanos snapping his fingers … meaning how can he do this if he jumped from the past to the future and then was disintegrated)? Similar, but less problematic, is: How could present Cap not remember fighting himself (past-Cap).

The plot made this big deal that replacing the stones immediately after they were taken in the past would avoid alternate timelines but then altered major aspects of the current timeline (such as past Nebula and Thanos dying prematurely and so not being able to play the role they DID play in infinity war [among other movies]). This seems like a massive plot hole but maybe I missed something?

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 06 May 2019, 17:22

The rule is that you can't change the past, whatever exists now exists. Any changes to the past just create a branching timeline instead. So there's a new timeline where Thanos and company disappear in 2014, but the current MCU stays the same as it's own timeline.

Spoilers for Spiderman Far From Home trailer:
Spoiler: show
I wonder if they'll use the multiverse stuff to introduce X-Men and F4 down the line... that way they can still have a 'history' and not need to crop up brand new (or have some bullshit about "we've been hiding all along!")

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 06 May 2019, 17:51

LimboMaster wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:19
I think I've searched and 'not' found this is the comments so far: How is it that the timeline is not actually altered if past versions of Nebula and Thanos were killed before their recent roles in the MCU (such as Nebula bonding with Gamora and Thanos snapping his fingers … meaning how can he do this if he jumped from the past to the future and then was disintegrated)? Similar, but less problematic, is: How could present Cap not remember fighting himself (past-Cap).

The plot made this big deal that replacing the stones immediately after they were taken in the past would avoid alternate timelines but then altered major aspects of the current timeline (such as past Nebula and Thanos dying prematurely and so not being able to play the role they DID play in infinity war [among other movies]). This seems like a massive plot hole but maybe I missed something?
This might help people who are still having issues understanding how the branching timelines thing works.

Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 06 May 2019, 17:58

Anna Raven wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:51
LimboMaster wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:19

This might help people who are still having issues understanding how the branching timelines thing works.

Thanks Anna! I guess I'm still confused though because I thought the whole point of returning the stones immediately after they were taken was to avoid alternate timelines. Was that a misunderstanding or did they just fail to avoid creating them? If not, then why not just destroy the stones in the future and not bother returning them if alternate timelines were created anyway?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 May 2019, 18:09

My sister attended another Q&A with the Russo brothers where an audience member asked if time traveling Captain America had to kill that timeline’s counterpart to assume his life. They responded that he only killed Peggy Carter’s first husband. Then they tried to pass this off as a joke not to be spread over the Interwuzzle, but it’s too late to cork that djinn back up.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 06 May 2019, 18:53

LimboMaster wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:58
Thanks Anna! I guess I'm still confused though because I thought the whole point of returning the stones immediately after they were taken was to avoid alternate timelines. Was that a misunderstanding or did they just fail to avoid creating them? If not, then why not just destroy the stones in the future and not bother returning them if alternate timelines were created anyway?
The Ancient One makes it sound like something worse would happen if the stones are removed from the timelines. So I don't think it's about avoiding the creation of branching timelines but just to make sure the whole continuum doesn't collapse. (Why it's okay for Thanos to destroy them himself, but it's not okay for them to be removed, I dunno)

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 06 May 2019, 20:18

Magnus wrote:
06 May 2019, 18:53
LimboMaster wrote:
The Ancient One makes it sound like something worse would happen if the stones are removed from the timelines. So I don't think it's about avoiding the creation of branching timelines but just to make sure the whole continuum doesn't collapse. (Why it's okay for Thanos to destroy them himself, but it's not okay for them to be removed, I dunno)
Yeh, you'll still have those branching timelines, but at least you'll have a branching timeline where the Time Stone hasn't disappeared forever or something. Basically, the point of returning them was to give those branched timelines a chance to defend themselves and possibly (like Magnus said) keep worse things from occurring into the future. Sadly, the 2012 timeline is left without the Space Stone, but Loki is the only one who can return it.

Wings

Post by Wings » 06 May 2019, 20:24

Anna Raven wrote:
06 May 2019, 20:18
Magnus wrote:
06 May 2019, 18:53
LimboMaster wrote:
Yeh, you'll still have those branching timelines, but at least you'll have a branching timeline where the Time Stone hasn't disappeared forever or something. Basically, the point of returning them was to give those branched timelines a chance to defend themselves and possibly (like Magnus said) keep worse things from occurring into the future. Sadly, the 2012 timeline is left without the Space Stone, but Loki is the only one who can return it.
Well the Stone is still present in that timeline, it's just that Loki stole it. That creates a permanently branched timeline but one that still has its Space Stone.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

P-90

Post by P-90 » 06 May 2019, 23:45

Has there been any official statement as to whether Lady Sif is still alive? her absence was made more noticeable for me when Valkyrie was made Queen of New Asgard, I personally think Sif would've been a more appropriate choice (though granted we weren't shown what Val had been up to during the five year gap)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 07 May 2019, 02:31

P-90 wrote:
06 May 2019, 23:45
Has there been any official statement as to whether Lady Sif is still alive? her absence was made more noticeable for me when Valkyrie was made Queen of New Asgard, I personally think Sif would've been a more appropriate choice (though granted we weren't shown what Val had been up to during the five year gap)
Valkyrie was leading the Asgardian community during those last five years. I'm sure Thor says something along those lines when he names her queen. She's the best choice simply out of experience and the trust the Asgardian's presumably have in her.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 May 2019, 14:39

Gibbering Fool wrote:
07 May 2019, 02:31
P-90 wrote:
06 May 2019, 23:45
Valkyrie was leading the Asgardian community during those last five years. I'm sure Thor says something along those lines when he names her queen. She's the best choice simply out of experience and the trust the Asgardian's presumably have in her.
Sif's absence hasn't been explained in universe that I'm aware of but Jamie Alexander is too busy with Blindspot atm to reprise the role.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 11 May 2019, 23:26

Cable

Post by Cable » 19 Jun 2019, 14:24

Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #6
Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #31

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 19 Jun 2019, 21:08

Definitely going after that Avatar record. Last I saw it was about 40m behind and Avatar did it through re-releases as well.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Jun 2019, 00:29

Anyone buy into the foil embossed alternate coverre-released Endgame?

If you don’t feel like shelling out again, here’s a spoileriffic article with details of the new end credit scene...

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/28/19134920/ ... dits-scene

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Jun 2019, 01:43

The new poster is ugly.