Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Choosing a Leader

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Cable

Choosing a Leader

Post by Cable » 03 Apr 2019, 14:06

Let's play a hypothetical. Imagine that the X-Men are now going to elect a new leader. They each get one vote and the candidates are:

Cyclops
Jean Grey
Kitty Pryde
Storm
Wolverine

Assume two rules:
1) It is a fair secret ballot. No one is reading minds or manipulating the outcome with powers of any kind.
2) The candidates themselves will vote but none of them will vote for themselves.

Who do you think different characters would pick?
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #18
Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #21

das_boot

Re: Choosing a Leader

Post by das_boot » 03 Apr 2019, 14:36

Realistically, I can’t see many people picking Wolverine. He’s far better as a second than as a leader. Even during schism, he delegated a lot of responsibilities at the JGS.

As much as I hate to pick one of these characters, I think this comes down to a three way pick between Storm, Jean and (ugh) Kitty.

Storm’s a solid choice. She’s been a strong leader before but buckled a little under the pressure last time. I think that we’d see Jean, Betsy, Logan, Colossus, Gambit and Cyclops vote for her.

Jean’s shown potential in a leadership role of late. The truest representation of Xavier’s dream, for sure. I think she’d receive votes from Storm, Kitty, Rogue, Kurt, Laura, and maybe people like Lorna, Hank, Angel and Bobby.

Kitty I think would carry the youth vote. She’s not THAT much older than the vast majority of the new recruits, and I think that certainly people like new Pyro, Armor, Ink (UGH), Pixie et al would vote for her, seeing her as someone who would understand their struggles as new X-Men more than someone like Jean who has been dead for a long time, or Storm whose been kind of absent from a leadership role of late. Kitty gets the youth vote, easily.

I really don’t see many people voting for Wolverine. MAYBE people like Jubilee and Kitty out of a sense of loyalty, but I truly think that he would gain the fewest votes.

Cyclops... it’ll be the more pragmatic members of the team. Assuming they get votes, people like Emma, Magneto, the Cuckoos... for sure would vote Cyclops. Maybe Magik. I think that he might also win some points for being cool and revolutionary from people like Quire, but I also think that ultimately this goes to one of the ladies.

My prediction would be that Kitty and Jean would tie for leadership, and would therefore look at where their votes came from and split the leadership duties accordingly— Jean with the active teams and Kitty with the school/training teams, with Storm as a co-ordinator of sorts— however, I DO think that it speaks volumes for
Storm’s abilities as a leader that I think the majority of the other candidates would vote for her.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Apr 2019, 14:55

Probably... Storm. Jean would run a close second, though could nick an upset.

Scott + Logan have rubbed up way too many members the wrong way, I think very few would choose Kitty if the other leader types were available + open to consideration.

(This doesn't tie with my own personal choice, which I think Logan's probably the best overall, precisely because he could delegate without it coming across too order-ish)

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 04 Apr 2019, 10:37

I can't see how people wouldn't vote for Cyclops. He's the heir apparent of Charles Xavier's reign as leader. He's the one who led them through their darkest times and was successful. Storm dealt with the M-Pox, but things didn't go well during her reign. She's capable of being a leader, and one of the best, but I do not see her being THE leader. The same goes for everyone on the list honestly. Each is more than capable of leading, but I don't think any of them can handle the responsibility of being the one to make the final call.

Jean - She'd be the School version of Charles. The staff as a whole would report to her in matters of the school.
Ororo - She'd be taking on the old duties of Scott. Probably leading the primary team that would be the face of the group.
Logan - X-Force, duh. Also just handling a team that just takes on more dangerous missions.
Kitty- Student Liason. She'd work closely with Jean in school matters.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Apr 2019, 14:00

Fun game, Cable.

But I’m having a hard time following the rules (we all are, since nobody has posted a list of characters and their votes). In my view, the X-Men have too many different roles, and the relationships are to complex, to just elect a leader. The X-Men are more like a corporate conglomerate, where each corporation has a CEO and a vice-CEO, they answer to a board of directors with a chair and vice-chair, who in turn answer to the shareholders.

For the X-Men, the shareholders are divided into two classes—voting shares and non-voting shares. The non-voting shares are students, rookies, and hangers-on. The voting shares go to “true” X-Men.

The “true” X-Men will select a leadership team. The leadership team should be about 10-15 people, and there ought to be representatives of all of the factions—O5, ANAD, NMU, X-Force, and the newer generations. I’m not up-to-date on all of the characters current statuses, but assuming Cyclops is back in good graces, I expect the leadership team would include Scott, Jean, Kitty, Ororo, Warren and Hank. I don’t think Wolverine would want to be on the leadership team. He doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to want to sit in on board meetings.

Maybe Rogue, Sam, Dani, Monet or one or two others I’m not thinking of would also serve. There need to be liaisons to the younger students; someone who speaks as the voice of the students and rookies even if it’s not one of them. Each of the “true” X-Men needs to have representation on the board that they feel is a friend and confidant.

Warren serves as chair and CFO. His business experience makes him the right person to run the meetings and manage the money. Jean is vice-Chair of the board. Maybe Monet or Roberto are vice-CFO?

Kitty is principal of the school, and Jean is vice principal. Hank is an advisor. Various X-Men have teaching responsibilities. Some of the young X-Men serve in administrative and advisory capacities to the School Leadership Team. You could have Logan as self-defense instructor, and Armor as assistant instructor.

Kitty and Warren are also the public faces of the X-Men. They manage media, politicians, law enforcement relationships, other superhero relationships. They may delegate, of course. Hank and Rogue, maybe Sam, Roberto or Alex, are liaisons to the Avengers. But overall it’s managed by Kitty and Warren.

Jean and Ororo share duties as the School Defense Force. Scott is an advisor.

Scott and Ororo split duties as the X-Men’s CENTCOM generals—deciding who goes out on tactical missions, how to respond to threats, etc. They may take leadership for themselves on a field mission, or they may assign leadership of a filed mission to someone else as appropriate. Hank is a technical advisor. They rely heavily on advice from Cable, Bishop, Kitty, Rogue, Logan and a few others as to who's available and appropriate for missions.

Maybe Bobby and Dani are student liaisons—kind of like guidance counselors? Sam and Rogue are members of the board at large, and don’t have specified roles. Maybe Jubilee also?

It’s important that each of these roles has at least two people who can manage, given how much the X-Men die and disappear. If Ororo is tied up managing the defense of the School, Scott needs to be free to figure out how to deploy for external threats. If Kitty’s on a mission, someone needs to oversee running the day-to-day of the school.

But it’s also important that these roles overlap. For example, CENTCOM needs to know what’s going on with school defense, so Ororo serves on both and Scott is an advisor to the latter. Kitty needs to be kept appraised of school defense to run the school, and so Jean serves in both roles. Etc.

And of course, they all meet as a whole board from time to time to ensure resources are properly allocated and information is effectively shared. Warren principally manages keeping everyone on the same page.

From time to time, someone steps down or takes a leave, and the “true” X-Men will vote in an appropriate replacement or temporary substitute with the right skills and experience.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Apr 2019, 14:12

I like what NuD did but my skin crawls alil when economic talk creeps into non-economic talk...it’s the Critical Criminologist in me lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Wings

Post by Wings » 04 Apr 2019, 15:01

Cyclops- His brand is toxic among a large number of the more senior X-Men, although in the aftermath of Age of X-Man, he could gain some more followers. I can't see any of the other candidates for leader voting for him. Logan is with him right now, but no way he votes for Scott over Ororo or Jean. I can see a few of the younger generations voting for him too. Surge for example, I can see voting for him as while she disagreed with him at times, he was the only leader who even remotely took her seriously as an asset to the team and given the casualties the New X-Men have suffered while Jean and Ororo were absent from the picture. He garners enough votes to potentially form a splinter group if he wanted, as his greyer moral compass will appeal to the more morally ambiguous X-Men and X-Force types.

Voters: Emma Frost, Magneto, Chamber, Surge, Karma, Havok, Warpath, Hope, Doctor Nemesis, Namor, Marrow, Dani Moonstar, Frenzy, Danger

Wolverine- He's well liked and things were relatively stable for the X-Men under his leadership. But I think he's more comfortable as a second or as a protector of the school than he is at the head of the organisation. I think a majority of the others would recognize that too and Logan would totally encourage people to vote for anyone but him. Like das said, I think Jubilee would vote for him but given the amount who followed him during the Schism, surely he'd garner some votes.

Voters: Domino, Jubilee, Armor, Kid Omega, Warbird, Rockslide, Oya, Genesis, Rictor, Shatterstar, Multiple Man, Layla Miller, Shark-Girl

Shadowcat- As you can probably tell at this stage, I kind of see this coming down between Jean and Ororo. I don't know who would have strong opinions on Kitty as a leader but I think she'd manage as many votes as Logan and Scott. She'd garner votes from the New Mutants and the younger generations, as well as both Rasputin siblings.

Voters: Colossus, Magik, Rachel Grey, Cypher, Wolfsbane, Warlock, Husk, Anole, Bling!, Morph, Hindsight

Jean Grey- Again I agree with das that we'd see a lot of the pre-Second Genesis crew opting for Jean, along with members of her X-Men: Red team. Students who were at the school during her time as headmistress would also be inclined to vote for Jean. I don't think Cyke would vote for Storm, purely because I can see Scott seeing Jean's growth as a leader and wanting to help her continue to grow into a leadership role he probably sees her as more suited to than he ever was. The fact that three of the richest X-Men would back her would also allow Jean to garner enough support to continue operating a unit independent of the larger organisation if she so chose.

Voters: Polaris, Iceman, Cyclops, Archangel, Nightcrawler, Trinary, Gentle, X-23, Northstar, Sunspot, Hellion, Dust, Mercury, No-Girl

Storm- Among the senior X-Men, Storm would definitely garner the most votes, especially among the post-Second Genesis crowd up until the late-90s/early 00s members such as Cecelia Reyes and Sage and specific members of the New Mutants and later generations giving her the broadest appeal. 3 of the other 4 candidates would vote for her. Her vote is split by Jean and Kitty's but she comes out on top.

Voters:
Wolverine, Jean Grey, Psylocke, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Dazzler, Shadowcat, Longshot, Bishop, Cannonball, Magma, Boom Boom, M, Pixie, Sage, Pyro, Cecelia Reyes, Firestar, Karima Shapandar, Triage, Tempus, Nature Girl
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Apr 2019, 15:47

I think Cyke’s position as the morally gray guy has changed but the folks not experiencing it with him wouldn’t know it though.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Apr 2019, 16:29

I think it would totally depend on their election platforms in honesty.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Apr 2019, 17:12

If Cyke is still not trusted, all the more reason to pair him with Ororo and limit his responsibilities to tactical deployments.

Cable

Post by Cable » 04 Apr 2019, 17:58

Nice character-by-character breakdown Das and Wings, though I agree with the latter that despite everything that has happened Colossus is likely still going to vote for Kitty and want to see her succeed. I actually think Nightcrawler is also someone who would vote for Kitty.

Notable unmentioneds: Banshee? Who does he pick? Also Forge? Does Cable pick his 'mother' or his father? And if Professor X is voting as of this point in time does he still pick Cyclops?
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #18
Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #21

Wings

Post by Wings » 04 Apr 2019, 18:17

Cable wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:58
Nice character-by-character breakdown Das and Wings, though I agree with the latter that despite everything that has happened Colossus is likely still going to vote for Kitty and want to see her succeed. I actually think Nightcrawler is also someone who would vote for Kitty.

Notable unmentioneds: Banshee? Who does he pick? Also Forge? Does Cable pick his 'mother' or his father? And if Professor X is voting as of this point in time does he still pick Cyclops?
I meant to include Forge, who would totally pick Storm because like Piotr with Kitty, a part of him is always going to have heart-eyes for 'Ro.

Banshee, I didn' t include because of his current 'silent ghoul' mode. If he got out of that funk, and grew back that sexy Gen X beard, I imagine him voting either for one of 3. Storm, Wolverine or Shadowcat. Storm because she's a respected leader without 'I killed Xavier' or 'Dark Phoenix' baggage. Wolverine because of solidarity over how they view the kids in their care, or Shadowcat because of his desire to nurture the next generation and watch them take the reigns.

I think OG Cable would choose Jean or Storm. I can see him thinking Scott needs more time before he feels comfortable leading the X-Men as a whole as opposed to a survival squad. I don't know who Table picks. Probably Scott.

Professor X would absent himself from the vote in most instances. If he was voting, he'd choose Storm, who blossoms better outside of the school environment and advocate for Jean and Kitty to take care of the school, as Logan would refuse to hear word of him doing it again.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031