Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Avengers #12

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Blackcyclops

Avengers #12

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 14:02

Broo is back!!!!!

So the Agents of Wakanda are: Ka-Zar, Man-Wolf, Wasp, Okoye, Agent Solomon, American Eagle, Fat Cobra and Dr. Nemesis...I want this book!!!!
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Jazzkantine

Re: Avengers #12

Post by Jazzkantine » 09 Jan 2019, 17:53

Broo reminds me of this intelligently Gremlin from.. ähh Gremlns 2
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

bamf

Post by bamf » 09 Jan 2019, 20:42

Can Man-Wolf breathe in space?
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 20:51

bamf wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 20:42
Well nobody breathes in space (sorry had to be nerdy lol)...but I think him surviving in space unaided is prolly dependent on which version of Man-Wolf this is supposed to be.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 09 Jan 2019, 20:53

bamf wrote:
I checked his wiki, computer says no.

But his healing factor had this description: He is able to fully recover from gunshot wounds within a month

I mean, I have never been shot at, but for an animal mutant his healing power seems very weak.
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 09 Jan 2019, 21:09

Sorry...Broo and Dr Nemesis are back???

Awesome.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 09 Jan 2019, 21:14

I almost feel like Jan had retired and she's like the old guard.

I think a group like her, Jarvis....and others I can't think of currently should be like a Superhero ethics panel/spokespeople in general and be decision makers for the community

bamf

Post by bamf » 10 Jan 2019, 15:02

Crutey Anth wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 21:14

I think a group like her, Jarvis....and others I can't think of currently should be like a Superhero ethics panel/spokespeople in general and be decision makers for the community
I agree they make it seem that way, but what I find weird is that how can she be the "old guard" if Iron Man, Thor, and Cap are still on the main roster.
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Jan 2019, 16:48

bamf wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 15:02
Crutey Anth wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 21:14

I agree they make it seem that way, but what I find weird is that how can she be the "old guard" if Iron Man, Thor, and Cap are still on the main roster.
It’s prolly because alot of the time she has taken a step back from active duty...she really came back during UA but left after Hank turned bad...then she became a mentor for the new Wasp. Of all the OGs, she’s the most stable and integrated to actually retire. Her use here is cool because she’s kinda like Black widow or Wolverine: a one-person bad-ass squad lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Jan 2019, 23:48

Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 20:51
bamf wrote:
Well nobody breathes in space (sorry had to be nerdy lol)...but I think him surviving in space unaided is prolly dependent on which version of Man-Wolf this is supposed to be.
I guess Aaron is making the mistake that werewolves are undead? Werewolves generally speaking are portrayed as living beings, and thus need to breathe. The vampires on the other hand I sort of get it.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback | Taskmaster | Domino | Nuke | Trickshot | Jolt | Troll
Avengers International Draft: France | Monica Rambeau | Tamara Devoux | Jacques Duquesne | Batroc |

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 10 Jan 2019, 23:58

In my twisted mind, I stopped taking anything Aaron writes canon or seriously.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Jan 2019, 00:05

Jazzkantine wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 23:58
I like Aaron but he's definitely one of those writers who has taken the approach of style over substance. I like to call it the "rule of cool", meaning if he thinks it would be badass to have a space-dwelling werewolf fighting space-dwelling vampires, he's gonna do it.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback | Taskmaster | Domino | Nuke | Trickshot | Jolt | Troll
Avengers International Draft: France | Monica Rambeau | Tamara Devoux | Jacques Duquesne | Batroc |

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 11 Jan 2019, 00:10

Anna Raven wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 00:05
Jazzkantine wrote:
I like Aaron but he's definitely one of those writers who has taken the approach of style over substance. I like to call it the "rule of cool", meaning if he thinks it would be badass to have a space-dwelling werewolf fighting space-dwelling vampires, he's gonna do it.
I started to dislike him during X-Men. He likes to put some amount of supernatural/Harry Potter school stuff in his writing that I can’t stand. But that is just my opinion.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jan 2019, 01:15

Anna Raven wrote:
Jazzkantine wrote:

@Anna: I think that's an almost unfair assessment of his entire body of work especially in Thor...
Last edited by Blackcyclops on 11 Jan 2019, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jan 2019, 01:18

Anna Raven wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 23:48
Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 20:51
bamf wrote:
I guess Aaron is making the mistake that werewolves are undead? Werewolves generally speaking are portrayed as living beings, and thus need to breathe. The vampires on the other hand I sort of get it.
And to be fair, Man-Wolf isn't a supernatural werewolf, like Morbius isn't a supernatural vampire, so he doesn't follow all their conventions though.
And really all the scene showed was Man-Wolf striking the vampires. Given that the normal human can survive in space for 15 seconds, and Man-Wolf has a healing factor and the scene was very short, it's not necessarily that Man-Wolf was just out in space not breathing. Of course, as it relates to your other point, it's a cool scene and definitely stands ou as such LOL...I actually wish he had his glowy gem too to really set it off lol
Last edited by Blackcyclops on 11 Jan 2019, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 11 Jan 2019, 01:32

Blackcyclops wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 01:15
Anna Raven wrote:
Jazzkantine wrote:

I think that's an almost unfair assessment of his entire body of work especially in Thor...

Disclaimer: my opinions are based on comics I read. Rumor says he is pretty good at his Thor stuff, which I don’t read. Not so into talking animals..

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Jan 2019, 06:53

Blackcyclops wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 01:15
Anna Raven wrote:
Jazzkantine wrote:

@Anna: I think that's an almost unfair assessment of his entire body of work especially in Thor...
Well, I guess maybe I'm boiling down his entire writing style to something he happens to do a lot, and so I can see where that would be unfair, but come on. A LOT of Aaron's stuff, and yes it's true in Thor, is about making something as cool as possible, whether it fits or makes any sense. Such as a light elf who shoots guns named "Honeyshot". Or what would be even bigger and badder than a god? How about a mortal who hates gods soooo much he becomes the GODKILLER! I mean I'm not bashing the guy, I think those kinds of things are AWESOME! But they are fairly nonsensical and outrageous, and they don't exactly gibe with established continuity.

But like I said I think that's one of the things I really enjoy about Aaron's writing. But I suppose the way I phrased it was a bit reductionist-sounding.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jan 2019, 12:27

I see what you’re saying (then again don’t must superhero comic writers work in exaggerated language and things at some point or another? Ewing, Pak, slott, even Claremont- do sometings because they look or sound freaking cool!) but I don’t think, personally, he disregards established continuity in such a way...and when he does change continuity, he does so through retcons (good or bad). But that’s my take on it...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Jan 2019, 14:49

Blackcyclops wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 12:27
I see what you’re saying (then again don’t must superhero comic writers work in exaggerated language and things at some point or another? Ewing, Pak, slott, even Claremont- do sometings because they look or sound freaking cool!) but I don’t think, personally, he disregards established continuity in such a way...and when he does change continuity, he does so through retcons (good or bad). But that’s my take on it...
Well sure, I am just saying that you have a spectrum, and on one end of the spectrum you'd have guys whose work feels a little more intellectual and thoughtful like Gaiman, Morrison, Gillen, etc. and on the other side of the spectrum is people whose work is more bonkers and outrageous. I'd put Aaron, certainly Pak and Slott, Frank Miller over here. Claremont and Ewing feel a little more in the middle to me, in fact I'd call early Claremont much more on the intellectual side.

bamf

Post by bamf » 12 Jan 2019, 14:32

Does it seem weird to anyone else that people keep saying things like “this is the most powerful avengers line up in a long time...” ? Did everyone forget about Hickman’s Avengers army? Hyperion? Captain flippin’ Universe?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Jan 2019, 17:39

bamf wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 14:32
Does it seem weird to anyone else that people keep saying things like “this is the most powerful avengers line up in a long time...” ? Did everyone forget about Hickman’s Avengers army? Hyperion? Captain flippin’ Universe?
I guess it really depends on how people in-universe are defining long time...Cause it caught me off guard too and I was side-eyeing BP but I guess the Hickman army was pre-SW and TRO...now I don’t know how long that is for them, like 2014 for us (since the lineup was before TRO).

I mean it is a powerful team given it’s resources (Celestial tech and the backing of Wakanda) and inclusion of people like Dr.Strange and stuff. You got Thor to cancel out Thor. She-Hulk seems to be as strong as the Hulk was. A Ghost rider and Strange are powerful (strangely enough, I just realized Hickman’s team had no magic users...like how did I miss that?). And then Cap, Iron Man, and Carol are cancel each other out. Then you got BP, who if we’re going off his Batman vibes, is equal to like 3-normal Avengers lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Jan 2019, 21:02

Wasn't Hickman's Avengers kind of under the radar? Plus I feel like some of the TRO era stuff was forgotten by the public in a Sentry-esque fashion.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Jan 2019, 22:02

Anna Raven wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 21:02
Wasn't Hickman's Avengers kind of under the radar? Plus I feel like some of the TRO era stuff was forgotten by the public in a Sentry-esque fashion.

See, and it's been a few months since I've read it again, the pre-TRO stuff was a general Avengers team. So I'm sure the average person knew about them.

Now the confusion comes in when we think about the TRO-era AND whether or not there changes to what happened in Hickman's run after the ending of Secret Wars.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 13 Jan 2019, 22:53

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 17:39
bamf wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 14:32
I guess it really depends on how people in-universe are defining long time...Cause it caught me off guard too and I was side-eyeing BP but I guess the Hickman army was pre-SW and TRO...now I don’t know how long that is for them, like 2014 for us (since the lineup was before TRO).

I mean it is a powerful team given it’s resources (Celestial tech and the backing of Wakanda) and inclusion of people like Dr.Strange and stuff. You got Thor to cancel out Thor. She-Hulk seems to be as strong as the Hulk was. A Ghost rider and Strange are powerful (strangely enough, I just realized Hickman’s team had no magic users...like how did I miss that?).
Hickman definitely leaned more towards science fiction than fantasy, so that doesn't surprise me. To be fair though, he DID include Strange in New Avengers, so it's not like he ignored him.

I also had a similar thought when I read the "most powerful line-up thing", but I tend to think that's a) hype and b) Marvel's general consensus of "What's happening right NOW is important, what happened THEN is less important".
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/