Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Stan Lee passes at 95

Level 05: For discussion on the writers, artists, editors and chiefs that help create the comics you read.

bamf

Re: Stan Lee passes at 95

Post by bamf » 12 Nov 2018, 19:21

I'm usually not that affected when I hear about things like this, but this absolutely broke my heart. He is responsible for so much joy over the course of my life. The world is a sadder place without him in it.
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange, Nightcrawler, Iron Patriot

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Nov 2018, 19:28

I knew this day would come, and I am still wrecked. Thank you Stan for all you created.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Nov 2018, 19:28

Really sad news :cry:

RIP Stan

P-90

Post by P-90 » 12 Nov 2018, 19:33

No, just no.. :cry:
Stan was one the few people on the planet I've actually wanted to meet, to thank him for giving so much enjoyment to me and so many others for so long. I may now have to get my first ever tattoo to commemorate this genuine legend of a man.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Nov 2018, 19:35

I had to step away at work...guys I was actually crying
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Nov 2018, 19:39

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 19:35
I had to step away at work...guys I was actually crying
I've never cried over the death of someone who I did not personally know before. I am crying at work.

Some writers struggle to create a memorable character. Stan Lee, along with the artists who collaborated with him, created the X-Men.
He created Spider-Man.
He created the Hulk.
He created the Fantastic Four.
He created Iron Man.
He created Thor.
He created Dr. Strange.
He created Black Panther.
He created Daredevil.
He created Ant-Man.
He created the Wasp.

One of the great creative minds of our time and a huge loss for the world. RIP Stan Lee and thanks for all the stories. They meant more to me than you will ever know.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #2
Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #8

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Nov 2018, 19:55

Disney couldn’t be bothered to mention it on Marvel.com

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 12 Nov 2018, 19:57

It's on there now.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 12 Nov 2018, 20:18

quoting what I just said in a chatroom

I dont easily get sentimental but this may legit be the biggest celebrity death for me personally

damn

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Nov 2018, 20:22

That’s not even the crazy part...

Just by coming up with the modern concept of the mutant he in turn helped spur the creation of hundreds of other characters we know and love.

Like outside of maybe Walt Disney, no modern man has led to more fictional creations.

Ugh! This is really tearing me up yall...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 12 Nov 2018, 20:45

He gave me and us, so much, Im forever thankfull.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Nov 2018, 20:51

It's probably going to take a few days for this all to sink in for me.

Stan didn't just give the characters he wrote a voice, he popularised creative credits giving him and his peers a voice, and he gave the comics industry a voice in his relentless promotion of the medium through his work in Hollywood to his approachability with fans and the wider media alike. I think it's fair to say Stan legitimised the industry in a way very few others have ever approached.

How many other writers (of any genre) are instantly recognisable by their spoken voice alone? Recognised with a simple caricature? Could generate a theatre full of applause in a non-speaking cameo? An absolute titan of modern literature.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 12 Nov 2018, 21:15

This made me so sad. I know he has a bit of a problematic history in giving credit where it was due, but even so, he made Marvel into what it is today. He created things and worlds and characters that have given generations of people happiness, hope, and spurred our own creativity. Other than Walt Disney, no other person's modern media company has had such a prolific and enormous effect on the cultural landscape. He was as big a character as those he created. RIP Stan, Excelsior.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Nov 2018, 21:25

EphemeristX wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 19:57
It's on there now.
Ok, I was too quick to judge.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Nov 2018, 22:01

Nu-D wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 21:25
EphemeristX wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 19:57
It's on there now.
Ok, I was too quick to judge.
Seemed like the legit news sources were a bit late on this as well, they probably wanted to make double sure about this one rather than pounce on a rumor.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 12 Nov 2018, 22:50

I’ve been crying on and off. And just marathoning Marvel movies while reading Marvel books. Hitting me really hard.

Tomorrow is all about celebrating Stan Lee’s life with my 6th grade students. But for now, I’m just so sad.

Love you guys. You are all so great. I love this community so much.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Nov 2018, 00:22

AntiBody wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 22:50
I’ve been crying on and off. And just marathoning Marvel movies while reading Marvel books. Hitting me really hard.

Tomorrow is all about celebrating Stan Lee’s life with my 6th grade students. But for now, I’m just so sad.

Love you guys. You are all so great. I love this community so much.
Love you too and everyone here.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Nov 2018, 10:04

Between Terry Pratchett a few years ago and now Stan, I really feel like the reaper has it in for my literary grandfathers.

Still sad about this today.

95 years and what a hell of a legacy to leave. Rest in power, Stan.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Nov 2018, 12:11

Obviously, this has been a rough day for me. Stan Lee has given me so much through the X-Men. A wonderful community with you all, one of my best friends who I've been RPing X-Men with for 15 years, and a ton of memories through all the comics and movies.

What gets me about Stan Lee is how huge of an impact he's had. The number of places wishing him peace is staggering.

The usual
r/comicbooks
r/marvel
r/dccomics

The surprising
r/azurelane, including the official twitter account (it's a mobile game/manga series/anime series about boat girls. don't judge me)
r/anime

For all the criticisms people have of Stan Lee it's amazing to see so much love for him.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Nov 2018, 12:43

Like you sit down and think about it...Stan’s impact extends beyond just Marvel to DC, Image, IDW...hell My Hero academia might not exist without him.

This still really hurts...We gotta find the Phoenix Force or some Infinity Gems or something...

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Nov 2018, 14:20

I mean... I can’t comment because I only know him as well as the rest of we fans but like... what a life. What a legacy to leave behind for, not just the fans but for the world. I don’t think he would want us to be sad (or at least not for too long). I think he would want us to find comfort in his loss in the world he created, the legion of people he’s inspired creatively, and what these characters and this world he crafted means to the fans
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 13 Nov 2018, 16:15

Translated from Dutch satirical news site De Speld, I am not sure if they themselves are the source or if they translated it from yet another satirical news site.
Stan Lee of this timeline died
Marvel promises not to reboot character, fans speculate about return

November 13, 2018 by Spaniards

The American comics author Stan Lee, in this universe one of the creators of Iron Man and Spider-Man, passed away yesterday. "The Stan Lee that we know, on Earth 616, has left us", his daughter says. "But we take comfort from the idea that the thousands of Stan Lees in the rest of the multiverse still live and continue to make films."

According to Comic company Marvel, there are no plans to take Stan Lees from other timelines to our reality for a crossover. "Stan Lee will make a cameo one more time at his own funeral, but after that it's really over," says Marvel, the company that Lee set up himself. "Our Stan Lee will not come back. His death is final. "

According to rumors, however, Lee's mustache and glasses were found by a girl who is about to become the new incarnation of the script writer. Fans speculate that Marvel will just introduce a new Stan Lee at the next Comic-Con, but then as a woman.
I found this a nice tribute myself

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 13 Nov 2018, 23:01

Today was so hard. I scanned some of my comics into PDFs and shared them with my kids. We celebrated his life and read them. I choked up really hard every single time I talked about him, and I talked about him a lot.
MartijnB wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 16:15
Stan Lee of this timeline died...Marvel promises not to reboot character, fans speculate about return...

...According to Comic company Marvel, there are no plans to take Stan Lees from other timelines to our reality for a crossover. "Stan Lee will make a cameo one more time at his own funeral, but after that it's really over," says Marvel, the company that Lee set up himself. "Our Stan Lee will not come back. His death is final. "

According to rumors, however, Lee's mustache and glasses were found by a girl who is about to become the new incarnation of the script writer. Fans speculate that Marvel will just introduce a new Stan Lee at the next Comic-Con, but then as a woman.
This tribute made me cry harder than anything else. It's lovely.

Peter David wrote this for Vulture. I love it. https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/peter-d ... n-lee.html

Hugs to you all today. If you're anything like me, you need them. I'll be grieving for quite some time. Love, love, LOVE to you all. So much of it.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 14 Nov 2018, 02:17

Wasn't able to get on the page yesterday. Stan made such an impact on so many lives. My friends are fans of the mcu but aren't really into comics. I posted RIP on Facebook and couldn't believe the amount of responses I got from that post. I didn't realize how much people even outside of comics loved him and appreciated the things he did and created. We lost a legend. All that's left to say is Excelsior!