Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

New Mutants film announced!

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Flapflop

Re: New Mutants film announced!

Post by Flapflop » 13 Oct 2017, 09:35

And the first trailer is here. X-franchise meets Horror-franchise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwT879-4Wjs
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Oct 2017, 09:56

...alright
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2017, 10:34

My only complaint: no mutant powers in the trailer...I’m all about genre-blending but if you don’t include the mutant powers, then it’s just a horror movie. I at least expected some wolf-stuff or allusions to abilities. I know this movie is prolly going to get all the press pointing out how different the film is than the MCU (some writers seem only to care about that) but I just hope it still is an New Mutants film. Orherwise its just folks with similar names in a horrir film.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Cable

Post by Cable » 13 Oct 2017, 10:44

I am more excited for this than anything coming out of Marvel Studios. There is no guarantee it will be good, but it looks different. It looks new. I don't know what this is going to be. I already know exactly what every Marvel movie is going to be.
Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 10:34
My only complaint: no mutant powers in the trailer...I’m all about genre-blending but if you don’t include the mutant powers, then it’s just a horror movie. I at least expected some wolf-stuff or allusions to abilities. I know this movie is prolly going to get all the press pointing out how different the film is than the MCU (some writers seem only to care about that) but I just hope it still is an New Mutants film. Orherwise its just folks with similar names in a horrir film.
I would agree if they didn't open by specifically talking about mutants. That is enough for now to reassure me it is ultimately an X-movie. The power reveal scenes may be horrifying themselves and they want to keep those cards close for now.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #6
Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #31

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Oct 2017, 10:48

I've watched the trailer a second time now and this is basically what I wanted Doctor Strange to be in a way. I'm fine with no powers in this initial trailer, because like Cable said they very clearly talk about mutants right in the beginning.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 13 Oct 2017, 13:09

Ok I'm definitely excited for it, but I agree I would've lobe to see at least one shot of Magik with her sword or of Wolf. Also, I completely forgot that that random doctor was supposed to be Cecilia Reyes.

Either way, I want more.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 13 Oct 2017, 14:16

To be fair, when you guys say no powers, you mean no obvious, in your face, "I'm the one doing this" power scenes, right? I'm assuming a lot of what we see are Dani's powers and perhaps Magik's at some point.

I like the horror vibe. It's different and it fits with New Mutants.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Oct 2017, 14:57

Ugh. I am not going to see this. I hate most horror movies. :(
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 13 Oct 2017, 15:02

My guess is that in that scene in the laundry, Illyana has jumped back from Limbo.

Also, when is this movie set? 80's or current time?
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2017, 15:03

I mean it looks like it’s going to be like other horror films of this generation, which is fine. We’re in a small horror renaissance. It has vibes of It (which I loved) and It Follows (I also loved). But it’s not like I watched it and didn’t already know what to expect. My big hope is that it is more It Follows (or the VVitch) and less Happy Death Day...

When I say powers, I mean like Legion (still the best x-entry).

I hope it’s set in the ‘80s. Teen things set in the present just always feel alil less authentic.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 13 Oct 2017, 15:34

Huh. They kept saying that it was going to be a straight-up horror film, but I didn't really believe it until now. I sort of assumed that what they meant was "It's still a teen drama, but with spooky stuff". Also, did anyone else spy that uncannily familiar plush toy that 'lil Illyana was holding...

Never really been a horror fan (aside from Alien, Aliens, and the Thing), but I'll probably check this out.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 8.31.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 8.31.24 AM.png (655.72 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 13 Oct 2017, 16:41

Well that was different. Some weird things, very weird things. Surprised Cecilia Reyes was chosen for the doctor. If Sinister could be in any movie, you'd think it would be this. Creepy Doctor isn't very Cecilia.

But this could be fun. I'm a big fan of horror, and though I'm not a big fan of X-Men movies, this could be cool. Great cast, even if Sam is fuuuugly.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 13 Oct 2017, 16:48

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 15:03
When I say powers, I mean like Legion (still the best x-entry).
It's not like we got to see all of Legion's powers in the first trailer. For the longest time we didn't even know if they were going to have the powers on the show or if it would all be in David's head.
My guess is that they don't have the big CGI scenes ready but marketing still wanted to drop a trailer for Friday the 13th. Rather than having poor CGI, they went with what they had. Personally I'm kind of glad that is the case. Trailers, nowadays, tend to give away too much leaving no big surprises for the actual movie.
This trailer presented the overall vibe of the movie (a lot of people seemed surprised by it even though Boone had already said he was going for a more horror theme). The next one can then be used to introduce the mutants and their powers when the CGI is further along.
Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 15:03
I hope it’s set in the ‘80s. Teen things set in the present just always feel alil less authentic.
manuel_mc89 wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 15:02
Also, when is this movie set? 80's or current time?
Considering the song choice, I'd say there's a good chance it's in the 80s.
XtremeOne1 wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 16:41
But this could be fun. I'm a big fan of horror, and though I'm not a big fan of X-Men movies, this could be cool. Great cast, even if Sam is fuuuugly.
As much as people complain about Sunspot, Sam is the one that feels a bit weird to me. The actor seems to be good, but he doesn't read as Sam to me. Especially when standing next to the other actors (I keep expecting him to be the one towering over everyone else). With that said, before he was prettified in the 90s, Sam wasn't exactly a looker. Skinny, big protuding ears, bad posture... Bob Mcleod drew him to look a bit awkward.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2017, 17:10

XtremeOne1 wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 16:41
Well that was different. Some weird things, very weird things. Surprised Cecilia Reyes was chosen for the doctor. If Sinister could be in any movie, you'd think it would be this. Creepy Doctor isn't very Cecilia.

He’s...ummm...nice lol

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Oct 2017, 19:32

That's more horror than I expect. I love horror, though, so I'm down, of course. Sam's actor can definitely pull off intensity. I really dig him in Stranger Things. As far as him not being conventionally attractive, hot Cannonball didn't really happen until X-Force. Before that, he was gangly, slouchy, had big ears and a weird huge head. Cypher got way more ladies than he did.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Oct 2017, 20:12

EphemeristX wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 19:32
That's more horror than I expect. I love horror, though, so I'm down, of course. Sam's actor can definitely pull off intensity. I really dig him in Stranger Things. As far as him not being conventionally attractive, hot Cannonball didn't really happen until X-Force. Before that, he was gangly, slouchy, had big ears and a weird huge head. Cypher got way more ladies than he did.
Yeah, Sam has been pretty unattractive in a lot of his early appearances.

xx mistah

Post by xx mistah » 14 Oct 2017, 01:11

Echoing the surprised as how much horror is being presented in this film's trailer. But if anything, I hope they use the genre bending not for a pure "surprise it's a X-men horror flick" but use the genre to explore the paranoia and horror apparent in facing the other, body horror for mutation and of course sci fi experimentation mixed w/ the fantastical (i.e Magik and Moonstar!!). Logan used the dystopian world narrative perfectly to explore the X-men's themes tying it with contemporary issues of immigration, refugees etc. I hope they continue the trend with this movie.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 14 Oct 2017, 21:15

I think the horror will be from Moonstar's fear-illusions as well as a bit of body-horror from Wolfsbane. Plus I am really hoping they bring Limbo into things too.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 14 Oct 2017, 22:07

Here's my one concern about the horror film concept; they usually have a high body count. I really don't want to see any of the main cast die for the sake or horror since they're all core New Mutants characters.
Presumbly Dr Reyes and some other generic hospital staff charcters will die but surely they have to kill off a main caster to be genuine horror? .

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Oct 2017, 00:23

Gibbering Fool wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 22:07
Here's my one concern about the horror film concept; they usually have a high body count. I really don't want to see any of the main cast die for the sake or horror since they're all core New Mutants characters.
Presumbly Dr Reyes and some other generic hospital staff charcters will die but surely they have to kill off a main caster to be genuine horror? .
Exactly. The type of horror movies that I enjoy, which are few in number, typically have a hero who fights back against the evil. For example, Alien, or Evil Dead, or even Jaws. But regardless of if these kids fight back against the evil doctors or whatever the threat is, some of them will be victims, if this is a classic horror premise.

I guess the best that could be hoped for is that it’s similar to Stranger Things, and the body count will be significantly low. But even Stranger Things had its Barb.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

DCypher

Post by DCypher » 16 Oct 2017, 01:25

I wonder if that brief shot of a bald/scarred person with a mask is supposed to be the Leper Queen?

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 16 Oct 2017, 02:38

DCypher wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 01:25
I wonder if that brief shot of a bald/scarred person with a mask is supposed to be the Leper Queen?
I had thought that too, but I'm guessing it will just be another fear manifestation like what I'm guessing all the other scary tings in the film will be. Either through Dani's powers or Illyana's link to the supernatural

ev82

Post by ev82 » 16 Oct 2017, 02:55

Anna Raven wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 14:57
Ugh. I am not going to see this. I hate most horror movies. :(
agreed.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 17 Oct 2017, 01:53

It's not my type of movie, but I'm still going to see where it takes me. It might end up being brilliant.

Please tell me that is not going to be Cecelia Reyes' onscreen appearance. I was very excited for her because she is an afro Latina, very rare in cinema, and because I just love her story arc. If you can't tick either of those boxes off why bother? Now I'll just hope there's an awesome Marvel Legends new mutants line that has a comic version of her when this comes out (and maybe Magik, Dani, and Sam too? One can dream).