Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Gotham: New Fox Series

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Blackcyclops

Re: Gotham: New Fox Series

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Oct 2014, 17:07

tokenBG1009 wrote:Jim Gordon's first wife was named Barbara. Seems like just that to me.
I think the mash-up part is her previous relationship with Montoya...

At least DC didn't shy away from it like the whole Victoria Hand thing on AoS.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

medium13

Post by medium13 » 06 Oct 2014, 18:33

Well, I guess as a animated/movies Batman fan who occasionally buys a TPB, I got excited when I thought that Barbara's last name was Kane - and jumped to the conclusion that she was going to be a BAMF similar to the Batwoman we know and love today. But reading a bit on Wiki, I realized it was Kean who was a completely different and unrelated character who divorced Gordon. Just want to manage my expectations.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Oct 2014, 18:56

"The bodies will come back... Don't you know how weather balloons work?"
At first I thought the balloon thing was too silly, but then they followed it to its logical conclusion of horror. It enriched the worldbuilding by showing Gotham was already filled with whackos & shows it can have its own kooky tone. I'm relieved it's not a realistic/serious SVU clone with Batman names grafted on.
Selina shouldn't even need a pen to slip out of regular cuffs.
I liike that Gotham City is just as sleazey in the daytime.
It's about time we got fencing Alfred!
Fish's first outfit looked like it was made of Killer Croc.
The woman that beat up Bullock, Rose Sias, reminded me of Frenzy. Can we get Bryan Singer to cast her?
Barbara's ginormous penthouse now has a false clocktower window?
Bullock used "hoisted by your own petard" almost literally!
Gordon's "This city is sick" moment made me start to feel for him.
The Wayne maurder seems to have removed the last stopgap against madness from fully pervading the city.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Oct 2014, 21:56

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:"The bodies will come back... Don't you know how weather balloons work?"
That annoyed me. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure unless it was the most amazingly weird weather day ever, wind would have carried those balloons far out of Gotham City. Moreover, even if the wind was perfectly still, since it took a full day/night cycle for the balloon to pop, the earth's rotation would have moved Gotham out from underneath the balloon. So the answer to that question is, "no" if you are the writers of Gotham.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

Crawler

Post by Crawler » 07 Oct 2014, 22:53

Yeah, this supposed geosynchronous orbit that the balloons achieved without a tether looks like Balloon Man had special powers indeed.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 08 Oct 2014, 16:18

First, I have to start by bragging that the show was filming outside of my office in downtown Brooklyn yesterday and I got to see some of the Gotham police cars and some scenes being filmed, but it wasn't with any of the cast I recognized.

I had the same thought about Fish's outfit being made from Killer Croc. She played that scene so weird. What was with the accent? I don't know how long I will be able to take the little snippets of the club where Fish is giving information. It kind of tires and bores me. I am not yet growing tired of Penguin, who I think is doing a really remarkable job though I question why he would come back to Gotham so soon. I thought he'd be absent for a longer period of time.

The Balloon man. I liked this, surprisingly. It was appropriately bizarre and terrifying especially given the long stretches where the audience can contemplate what it would be like to be carried away and eventually die attached to a weather balloon. I didn't really buy the identity of the man behind the balloon, but it was kind of a fun way to wrap up a little subplot that happened earlier. As soon as I saw the paper, I knew who it was. I looked up this villain online to see if I was missing a cameo, and the balloon man motif got panned online, but I thought it worked. The scene with the Bollock getting clocked by the woman was fun. I didn't know if I was supposed to recognize her. I also got the distinct impression that I was wrong in my earlier assessment, and the entire police force is corrupt.

I'm still on the fence (har har) about Alfred. Barbara's massive penthouse is eventually going to be the Clocktower for Birds of Prey I guess. Her apartment makes me second guess my woefully inadequate space in my pad.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Oct 2014, 12:37

Now we finally know who taught Batgirl to open doors without checking the peephole.
Both Jim's & Barbara's reasons to be mad at each other are petty.
Nygma needs more to do.
Mr. KnifeToTheEye seemed to have been working for a third party instead of any of the mobsters.
Gotham's employment situation is based on Thunderdome.

Crawler

Post by Crawler » 21 Oct 2014, 01:18

Tonight's episode has been the worst one I've seen so far. The script is poor (it seems the writers don't know how they want to write Bullock any given week), and the tone is still constantly shifting and it just hasn't worked. Its ratings may get it a new season, but its quality so far hasn't felt like it deserves it. This plot would probably have seemed stronger if I hadn't seen it done better (if differently) in Arrow.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 21 Oct 2014, 11:18

This show made better use of Viper/Venom effects than (Green) Arrow does with Vertigo (though it's getting better).
I was expecting Fish to be grooming that girl as a spy in Maroni's camp.
It's nice to see something different with the Bruce subplot this week.
I love that this show is tonally weirder than anyone expected.
Bonus points for a guy getting smushed underneath an ATM!

acolyte47

Post by acolyte47 » 18 Nov 2014, 03:10

Well once again the only interesting part of Gotham is the various mob factions. The lesbian scene at the end better end up being meaningful because right now it makes absolutely no sense.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Nov 2014, 23:01

That new hire is so hardcore he didn't even retrieve his severed finger!
Black Mask's dad (even if he doesn't run a cosmetics company) was a good balance between using a existing villain & not using an existing villain prematurely.
It's nice that the other cops are starting to have an arc.
It's sweet of Fish to let her mom sing at her club.
I was so happy when Alfred enabled Bruce to vent his tragic gravitas into Tommy's face because Hush sucks.

acolyte47

Post by acolyte47 » 25 Nov 2014, 03:25

Just brutal. I understand the writers are trying to setup some story threads but they're either super contrived or outright stupid. Once again the MOB thread is the only one remotely interesting.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 25 Nov 2014, 10:42

The Selina & Bruce relationship is surprisingly perfect.
Gordon works better when he's angry.
Falcone beginning the luncheon by caping a guy in the head was fun.
Creepy child Ivy is growing on me even with the wrong name.
"You gave me quite a fright, Master Bruce. If anything should happen to you ... who would employ butlers?"
Nygma looks good in olive suits.
The assassin woman was credited as Larissa Diaz/Copperhead.
The ominous music was perfect for Gordon's entry into Arkham.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Nov 2014, 16:17

As bad as this show has been at times, I thought the mid-season episode ended well. The idea of Gordon being busted down makes total sense, and it's kind of cool idea to make him a guard at Arkham.

The mob stuff is by far the best part of the show. I enjoy the machinations going on between Fish, Falcone, Maroni, Penguin, Liza, etc.

I got really bored at the Selina/Bruce storyline though. Also how many times is Selina going to ask Bruce if he wants to kiss her? No means no woman!! :lol:

I'm also not a fan of this Harvey Dent. If he's already kind of skeezy/dark, then what's the point? There has to be a "good side" of the coin to go with the bad.

I guess I'm coming to terms with this show as long as I think of it as a really skewed take on the comics. And as long as I can overcome my inward groaning every time they cameo a new villain.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Jan 2015, 04:48

I thought that Gruber was going to be Hugo Strange. I guess they always say one is an alias.
"I'm here about the opening for a psychiatrist. I have experience with electroconvulsive condit ... therapy. My name is Dr. Hugo ... um ... Strange."
"You're hired. Welcome to Arkham Asylum, Dr. Strange! "
"Don't you want to check my forged credentials first?"
"Nah. Wearing a lab coat is good enough for us. Hey, would you mind being acting director of this facility while our usual director is dead?"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Jan 2015, 15:56

This article sums up exactly why Gotham so often infuriates me, especially this one snippet:
Gotham has a significant and recurring problem with its characters acting like barely rational human beings. Too often these people do insane, ridiculous, completely moronic things for no other reason than to serve the plot, and it's really, really rare that these plots are ever worth the trouble. The best example — and what has to be the new front-runner for the dumbest Gotham moment of all time — is in this very episode, when Barbara calls Gordon's apartment, and Ivy answers, pretends to be Gordon's girlfriend, and Barbara not only falls for it but is devastated.

Let me rephrase: Barbara calls Gordon's apartment. A child answers the phone. This child pretends to be Gordon's girlfriend for no apparent reason other than to upset Barbara, even though Ivy has no idea who is calling or why. Barbara somehow does not realize she's talking to a child, and despite Ivy's completely unconvincing performance, Barbara accepts everything the kid says at face value and abandons her entire relationship with Gordon based on a 30-second phone call. WITH A GODDAMNED KID.

What the hell was Gotham thinking? Who thought this was a good idea? Who thought not only made sense, let alone was somehow compelling drama? Who wrote this, and how many people edited it and allowed it to be filmed? Why did no one ever point out how hilariously moronic this was? And for what? To keep Barbara away from Gordon for another goddamned episode? Ugh.
That one scene got me questioning why I even bother to watch this show again, if they are going to have the characters behave so incredibly stupidly. I wish they could weed out which ever writer or combo of writers come up up with the dumbest ideas and replace them with someone else.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Feb 2015, 10:52

JULIAN SANDS NEFARIOUSLY STROKING A PIGLET IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!
R.I.P. Professor Pyg?
Aww, Ms. Kringle's pencil is so tiny.
Maria "Irish?" Thayer's chinple rivals Caity Lotz's.
After Batman Begins had Fear Toxin as merely a concentrated version of a flower R'as was already using, I'm not happy that it looks like it'll be Pa Crane's invention here. Was is Hollywood intent on diminishing Jonathan's patent-pending personal achievements in the field of terror hallucinogens?
One Scarecrow origin has him being raised by an abusive grandmother so they missed an opportunity to bring in a villainess forebearer rather than a dad who's essentially Scarecrow minus the burlap mask.
Young Jonathan Crane was too milquetoast. "Ivy Pepper" is more likely to become the Scarecrow than him.
Did I just watch Fish Mooney & a Somalian pirate pounce at each other as if they're weretigers?
JULIAN SANDS NEFARIOUSLY STROKING A PIGLET IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 04 Feb 2015, 05:15

Anna Raven, I had pretty much given up on this show because I'm just not a fan of every person in the city being a corrupt and terrible person. I know Montoya and maybe her partner are supposed to be good, but two against an entire city just seems so... bad to me. I wish Bullock had been more of the "bend but don't break" kind of guy. He'll beat the snot out of a guy for information, but he won't straight up murder a guy on the orders of the mob.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Feb 2015, 10:31

That Bruce subplot wouldn't have been pointless if he fell into the cave & it would've parallelled the fear theme too.
Aw, Riddler & Penguin had a creep-off.
Are we calling this UST Pengordon?
Giving daddy Crane the opposite motivation of his son was a good way to differentiate them, but won't Jonathan be the GCPD's prime suspect once the Scarecrow strikes? Would they really need Batman to crack that case?
I feel cheated that we didn't see Fish & the pirate fight like werepanthers.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 17 Feb 2015, 21:38

Gotham is less frustrating when all its subplots occur in Crazy Town. You know you're in for fun when a show opens with a clown-aerialist interfamily brawl!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 24 Feb 2015, 10:30

That was actually a nice spin on the Red Hood.
Fish just got too stupid to live. They have an entire basement full of people with eyes! You have zero leverage vis a vis supply & demand!

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 05 Mar 2015, 02:49

I just watched the last 3 episodes is 1 go, & like you EMP i like the spin of the Red Hood episode.
After the Jerome episode, I told myself, he can't be little Joker. You can't just serve the Joker on the table just like any other cards, unless you're joking.
Then comes the Red Hood episode... did we just have a glimpsed of little Joker in that episode?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 05 Mar 2015, 04:29

They producers said there'd be many clues as to who the Joker could be to keep him mysterious yet active, so I don't think the show is going to conclusively say who is going to be the Joker twenty years from now. Although if they change their minds they could easily show Jerome getting his mits on the Red Hood.

Miriam Loeb is Supergirl!
Why doesn't Gordon have Montoya & Allen on speed-dial for his weekly fight the corrupt power with no back-up crusades?
Remember when the producers said they'd only go into panic mode if Fox ordered more than 16 episodes? This felt like a panic mode filler episode.
Colm Feore is great, but why didn't they just cast Jeffrey Combs as the Dollmaker? Also why is the Dollmaker suddenly in all the mass media?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Apr 2015, 09:50

https://mattthecatania.files.wordpress. ... /j58xe.jpg

How can Milo be The Ogre when he doesn't have an orangutan sidekick?
"Holed up in some shooting alley halfway off his maracas" is my new favorite way to watch Gotham
It'd be a lot of extra work for a serial killer to kill the loved ones of detectives investigating him. I highly doubt Ogre has acted upon threats that would most likely end his hobby. I reckon Gotham's finest are just a cowardly & lazy lot.
The last time Milo played a sex offender he got Bane'd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGbM3qTsDsQ

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 21 Apr 2015, 03:45

I'd like to think my cat would also push somebody out of a window for me.
Barbara got really self aware this episode.
It's about time Nygma started wearing a green blazer.
It shows how badly paced this show is that Ogre is the villain that gets a multi-episode arc that bleeds over into the season finale & he doesn't even have an orangutan.
At this point I really want Barbra to quit being hot mess victim & become a straight up supervillainess. It'll do wonders for her character. Erin Richards already proved she can pull it off from her episode of Misfits.
I'd feel better about BVSDOJ if David Mazouz was in the Batsuit.
When will Gordon remember Montoya & Allen exist?
Toys are coming: http://news.toyark.com/2015/04/17/diamo ... res-157978