Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

X-Men #17

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Magnus

X-Men #17

Post by Magnus » 31 Jul 2014, 00:30

Synopsis:
Spoiler: show
Beast meets up with Kymera and asks why they're taking Shogo into a battle zone. Kymera says that he's important and she needs him to stop the "Bloodline" defense. Beast decides to trust her. Storm and Rachel fly the X-Jet in close, and get attacked by the forest. Rachel's lost all contact with Monet, so Storm decides to attack the forest with a giant heatwave. Kymera and Beast meet up with Psylocke and the students, and Kymera pleads for Storm to stop. She does, and they find Monet in the forest, with the guards having passed out from heatstroke. Storm also asks Kymera why she's brought Shogo, at which point Kymera cuts Shogo's thumb open and rubs his blood on a nearby plant, explaining that Bloodline is coded to The Future's DNA, so Shogo's blood will work it too (and cause it to "reboot"). The Future yells in anger, Jubilee goes vampire mode and busts out, only to find The Future dead, crushed by vines. Meanwhile, Shogo has apparently been poisoned by the plant, so Beast injects him with Arkea to heal him. The last page is Storm reading a letter from Kymera, explaining why she's deciding to leave.
Pretty unsatisfying ending, I must say. As was the case with his last arc's ending, Wood really seems to struggle in creating any tension or feeling of actual threat to the team at the end, and winning is all too easy. The majority of the plot here is X-Men asking Kymera why she's bringing Shogo into a war zone, with Kymera only answering "I need him!" instead of, you know, just actually explaining why she freaking needs him. The whole "coded to his DNA so Shogo can use it" thing works fine, but why would it suddenly freak out and kill The Future? Why would it poison Shogo? (Why didn't she just drop the blood instead of rubbing it on the plant?) It seems like a shoddily written excuse to have Beast inject Shogo with Arkea, which obviously won't be good. And then Kymera gets written out of the team, likely to never appear again because I doubt writers will be clamoring to use her.

I was going to say this would be a jumping-off point for me, but Marvel apparently is psychic and decided it would be a good time for a new creative team. Which is a bit interesting, since Wood was clearly trying to set up the Sisterhood and Arkea as long-term threats. I don't know much about Guggenheim, might drop the title anyways, though he seems to have a good handle on the characters from the interview I saw.

tokenBG1009

Re: X-Men #17

Post by tokenBG1009 » 31 Jul 2014, 00:37

What is with Beast and injecting supposedly "dead" sentient technology into people? How is this a good idea?
When I spy my third eye
it’s extremely high voltage
That’s why I need ruby quartz glasses
cause when I glance at the chest
Then I might blast the masses…
- Linkin Park feat. Pharoah Monche- “High Voltage (Remix)”

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 31 Jul 2014, 02:05

So was this Woods last issue? Eek, so long Kymera.

And yeah, why did the forest go crazy and kill The Future? Kind of funny to see everyone yelling at Storm to calm the hell down. And yeah, Beast is insane.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » 31 Jul 2014, 02:07

Yeah I agree with the others. It has this build up ( just like Arkea) where the future was such a insurmountable foe.. And then is taken down so easy ( magic arkea killing bullet/ shoos blood)

Was it supposed to imply that shogo ( who is a baby) killed his father?! Otherwise why did the bloodline turn on him apparently killing him

I did like the moment between Monet and Jubilee for nostalgia value at least.

There's something always a little stilted about woods work. The way the conversation sometimes seems jerky.

Rachel: " stop I mean Orono, woah" etc

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 31 Jul 2014, 03:35

I have a question. Since Wolverine lost his healing factor, how is Jubilee still walking and not burning up in sunlight? In Wolverine and Jubilee, it was stated that Wolverine transfuses his blood with hers so she can walk out side. So whose healing factor is she using? I do not think that Beast's healing factor is as strong as Wolverine's. However, I think Angel's healing factor is on par with Wolverines. So she could be using Angel's healing factor but I do not know.

Sabin

Post by Sabin » 31 Jul 2014, 03:53

I never got the feeling that Brian Wood was terribly involved in this last story. I think Brian Wood's strength was more his vision of a shit load of X-Men (most of them women) working together Authority-style to stop giant problems. The details of the stories aren't terribly engaging, and it started to feel like the D-Title pretty quickly. The biggest shame is the lack of distinct voices and ideas about these characters. Monet St. Croix was pretty much defined start to finish as a powerhouse, but where was the wit?

I liked the first two arcs enough but considering the build-up, I kind of look at this all as a disappointment.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jul 2014, 04:25

Jubes used a synthetic option made by Beast
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 31 Jul 2014, 05:02

Just wow. That was just...not good at all. Wood once again built up this super foe that just walks in and wipes the floor with the X-Men in their home, yet when the finale comes they are easily just done away with as if they were never a threat. Not that the X-Men came in with superior weapons or a plan or tactics or anything, nope just that their foe suddenly becomes just some lower powered good basically. IN fact they came in with no plan at all this time. And yes why does Kymera just walk around not once telling them why she has the baby. Instead we get every single person asking why and her just basically saying "Cause, that's why." Then again how hard was it for them to figure out. It was made clear like two issues ago (maybe one, I dunno, this arc felt like forever) that it was called The Bloodline and was keyed to The Future's (God that is a stupid freaking codename. What the hell Wood, way to phone in everything in this book) blood...and he made it clear that Shogo was his blood...come on X-Men put 2 and 2 together already.

Each successive arc began to feel like rinse and repeat. Foe rises. Foe attacks school and hands team their collective asses. Foe flees possibly with something or someone from the X-Men. X-Men gather and argue/regroup. X-Men rally. Go to base of enemy, and wipe the floor with them easily. The end. Repeat.

It was like he just felt happy to have a team of women...and then just after the first arc and the tie-ins just said "Eh whatever, why change a working formula."
Uncanny Avengers Draft: Cannonball, Spectrum, Spider-Man, Beast, Smasher, Sabretooth, Manifold, Hope Summers

Everyone's a geek for something. Check out Geekfinity! - http://www.geek-finity.com

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 31 Jul 2014, 07:04

You know, I realized something... there is exactly ONE panel of The Future in this issue where he's alive. Then a couple when he's dead. Freaking Cipher gets more panels.

And heck, the X-Men don't even really fight anything. They're fighting the forest, which most of the time is just the background, and for one panel it's a tree being thrown. Some guards show up, but only after Storm's nearly killed them with heatstroke.

That is now how you write a final battle issue.

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 31 Jul 2014, 08:01

Yeah, this really wasn't great. Woods run could have been fantastic, given the team he had, but everything just fell short.

I'm glad he introduced the new Sisterhood, and I hope they'll feature again soon. I'm also glad he used the kids a lot, and specifically kids who I wanted to see more of - (well, Hellion, Pixie, Mercury and Rockslide).

It's just a shame the writing was a bit shoddy, as I feel that this run will pretty much be ignored - I doubt we'll see Kymera again, am dubious as to whether Arkea will be picked up, and doubt we'll ever hear about Sublime and Rachel again (although that one is probably for the best....)
Uncanny Avengers Draft
1. Emma Frost
2. Wiccan
3. Magneto
4. Iron Fist
5. Dr Nemesis
6. Elixir
7. Ares
8.Mercury
9.Hellstorm

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 31 Jul 2014, 14:43

That is the truth indeed of this run. There is really nothing that seems like anyone after or in another book will bring up.

Still no clue why Kymera is even still in this time. Clearly there are no plans for her, and there wasn't after BOTA as no one used her until Wood did but i highly doubt she was kept around for him to use since he didn't use her till this arc which was quite a bit down the line from BOTA. Still not sure why Storm suddenly went nuts and started raging on the forest and everyone in it. Just seemed odd, cause then suddenly Rachel is the voice of reason. After all these issues of being the one raising fusses and going off on others.

I think that even Wood decided it was best to forget about Sublime and Rachel as he pretty much just wrote it off and ended it quickly in the Sisterhood arc. Maybe someone finally pointed out to him that it made no sense for Rachel to date a being who had mutants killed and carved up for parts and basically in a way was the cause of her mom being dead.
Uncanny Avengers Draft: Cannonball, Spectrum, Spider-Man, Beast, Smasher, Sabretooth, Manifold, Hope Summers

Everyone's a geek for something. Check out Geekfinity! - http://www.geek-finity.com

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jul 2014, 15:31

Magnus wrote:You know, I realized something... there is exactly ONE panel of The Future in this issue where he's alive. Then a couple when he's dead. Freaking Cipher gets more panels.
A bright spot? Lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg » 31 Jul 2014, 22:34

This was supposed to be a six-issue arc originally - it shows. This was so rushed and cramped. Boring. Navel-gazing. I dunno. I wanted Wood's run to mean something. I thought this whole book was supposed to mean something. It's an exercise in anti-climactic storytelling almost every issue.

Kymera should go back to the future. I don't even want the possibility of her showing up again. To contrast, I love Shogo and hope he keeps being featured. Trim some of the kids - who the hell cares about Cipher? I could use less Beast.

This book needs to get back to basics while maintaining a distinct identity from its main competitor Amazing in the "casual x-men stories category" of books. Hopefully Guggenheim's arc can be effective to that end.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 01 Aug 2014, 00:34

How & why did the Future kidnap Jubes in the first place? He shot her in the cheek but it wasn't clarified that it was an anti-vamp knock-out bullet. Shogo was in the hall with them so why didn't he just take Shogo right then instead of trying to do a trade? How was he keeping Jubes in that room that didn't appear to have any ant-vamp safeguards? Once the Bloodline rebooted, Jubes smashed through his wall but it didn't seem like anything was preventing her from doing so earlier.
Good riddance to The Future.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 01 Aug 2014, 03:28

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:How & why did the Future kidnap Jubes in the first place? He shot her in the cheek but it wasn't clarified that it was an anti-vamp knock-out bullet. Shogo was in the hall with them so why didn't he just take Shogo right then instead of trying to do a trade? How was he keeping Jubes in that room that didn't appear to have any ant-vamp safeguards? Once the Bloodline rebooted, Jubes smashed through his wall but it didn't seem like anything was preventing her from doing so earlier.
Good riddance to The Future.
It seems the Bloodline also extended to the building's defenses.

As for why he took Jubilee instead of Shogo - He knew if he took Shogo, the X-Men wouldn't leave him alone. He had this idea that if he took Jubilee, Storm would strike a deal with him and give him back his kid for Jubilee and leave him in peace.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 01 Aug 2014, 03:57

But we never see Jubes trying to escape & having to fight the Bloodline. She just sits there sulking while the Future talks at her. Wood couldn't even let her do something awesome like taking control of the Bloodline herself by vamping on the Future.
The Future keeps saying that the X-Men won't care about Shogo because's not biologically their family, so why not stroll away with his son? The story kept insisting that he's the world's most dangerous hypercompetent mystery criminal so surely he could've disappeared forever. Instead he pisses off the X-Men & leads them to his hideout thinking this would give him the upper hand in negotiations. This guy is dumber than a sack of rocks. Jubes didn't even get to properly insult him about it.
Why's Shogo get lethal poising from touching a plant. I don't think there's anything that toxic growing in the Adirondacks. Even if the natural flora was more poisonous because of the Bloodline, wouldn't the Future have made himself & Shogo immune?
Good riddance to Brian Wood.

Providence

Post by Providence » 01 Aug 2014, 04:12

I wouldn't be too surprised if Cipher shows up some more. Let's not forget it was Guggenheim that created her.

I'm a little excited for the next arc since I love the Shi'ar and Bendis won't be writing/ruining them.

Bigstever

Post by Bigstever » 01 Aug 2014, 17:08

But he also created Ink... By that logic he might show up again as well?
"Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it."
-Lloyd Alexander

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 01 Aug 2014, 17:41

Bigstever wrote:But he also created Ink... By that logic he might show up again as well?
Way to be a downer...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Providence

Post by Providence » 01 Aug 2014, 17:50

I didn't want to use the "I" word, cuz! He's going to use the Shi'ar Death Commandos, isn't he? And Ink has a Phoenix tattoo? Can they come and kill him?

Ciel

Post by Ciel » 02 Aug 2014, 01:35

Providence wrote:I didn't want to use the "I" word, cuz! He's going to use the Shi'ar Death Commandos, isn't he? And Ink has a Phoenix tattoo? Can they come and kill him?
Ink's powers are granted by his mutant tattoo artist. A picture of the Phoenix means nothing; if they wanted to neutralize Ink they would have an easier time neutralizing the guy actually powering the tattoo, if that were a problem.

History of Paper

Post by History of Paper » 02 Aug 2014, 13:09

drzoidberg wrote:This book needs to get back to basics while maintaining a distinct identity from its main competitor Amazing in the "casual x-men stories category" of books. Hopefully Guggenheim's arc can be effective to that end.
That's one of my issues with this book. Yes, it focuses on female X-Men, but other than that, what's unique or compelling about it? Not the stories themselves as they often feel rushed and underwhelming (remember Selene and Madelyne Pryor getting resurrected, only to be shoved aside ASAP so they could wrap up the Arkea story). The team also doesn't feel like an actual 'team' to me. I believe the core team is Storm, Rachel, Psylocke, Monet and Jubilee, but I've seen very little meaningful interaction between these people. They've had some semi-interesting interactions with villains, mysterious babies, future daughters, X-kids and Beast, but with each other? It just makes it hard to care for them as a group.

UncannyScott

Post by UncannyScott » 02 Aug 2014, 20:11

If this book doesn't figure out something soon enough it's more than likely going to fade away I would say, because it's really not distinct in many ways outside of the choices for the team being all female. The sad thing is that the stuff History of Paper just mentioned are things that Wood talked up before the book came out. That they would be a team, bonding, dealing with things together, and all that teamly stuff. They have down the band together to take on threats, but outside of that it just felt like a random gathering of people that only fought stuff that attacked the school first and then they went after it. Which is pretty much what WATXM has been doing for the longest time, and then it matches Amazing in the tone of casual X-Men type stories. Hopefully whoever they announce for after Guggenheim will bring it to something stronger. Either that or they'll cancel it and launch something new in it's place for the after AXIS status quo change to come.

Dr Nemesis

Post by Dr Nemesis » 03 Aug 2014, 15:02

Beast injecting people with Arkea... This can only end well...

I wonder if Kymera is going to join Scott, or just disappear into the hole where convenient plot devices go to die...

Rathan

Post by Rathan » 04 Aug 2014, 03:45

maybe Kymera will join Scott's group then she will hook up with 05 Beast or 05 Iceman...