Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

New Mutants #13

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

New Mutants #13

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Oct 2020, 12:53

I really enjoyed this...

I like that Doug was being heroic in a way that we don’t always see in the x-books because everybody is so powerful. I appreciated Magik and Exodus showing up too...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Flapflop

Re: New Mutants #13

Post by Flapflop » 14 Oct 2020, 19:05

Nice kind of character study this. I like how Illyana still trained Doug knowing he probably still wont make a chance and promises to look out for him.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 14 Oct 2020, 20:14

This is probably the best NM issue so far.
Illyana and Doug talking, practicing... it felt natural and as a continuation to their shared story.
Every word Doug and Illyana said were flawless and in character.

Exodus here was the best Exodus we have had in years, absolutely in-character.

And Rod Reis' art is awesome, it brings the old Sienki back that i just want him to stay forever drawing NM.
This issue has been really compelling, on par to Marauders.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 14 Oct 2020, 22:20

Yeah, good character study here. It was nice that Doug already has the sword, so instead of needing to spend time on a story about acquiring it, instead it could spend time looking at the repercussions of being chosen. And they remembered that Doug can read people's body language in battle as part of his mutant ability (though they treat it like someone of a new skill here, when hasn't he kicked ass with it before?)

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Oct 2020, 23:30

I really enjoyed this issue, it just annoys me that I remember barely anything about this title, or that it even exists, until it turns up on my doorstep. Whatever.

This was a really strong issue, and the art is stunning and the story was actually quite poignant in that Doug was almost preparing for his own death. Obviously I fully expect this to be subverted and I think it might actually be Illyana who dies, but still.

BETRAYAL COUNT: Doug lying about what Krakoa had said to him, Illyana trying to give Doug false hope by thinking he was getting better.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Leo

Post by Leo » 15 Oct 2020, 03:14

What a great issue. My only small issue (like Magnus said) is how they seem to forget that Doug can read body language. He almost defeated all of his teammates when he was resurrected by Selene during Necrosha. I mean, he's never going to be a hardened-warrior like Magik, but he is no slouch either. But the rest - the dialogue, the tone, the characterization, the art - is perfect.

Oh, and is it just me thinking Cyclops has some kind of back up plan from that cryptic exchange with Magik?
Edit: obviously I wrote this before reading Cable #5 lol
Avengers Draft: Hyperion, Invisible Woman, Manifold, Blue Marvel, Smasher, Starbrand, Abyss, Scarlet Spider

X-Draft: Cyclops, Psylocke, Colossus, Northstar, Nate Grey, Shatterstar, Cypher, Abigail Brand, Firestar, Madison Jeffries, Slipstream, Darkstar

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 16 Oct 2020, 12:45

In my opinion wonder if Magik will die saving him? it depends how it's done could be like in Mortal combat tournament where each character goes to an arena and they have a swordfight to the death.

Would powers be allowed though?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 Oct 2020, 10:30

I think that when we talk about Doug reading body language, we have to remember it’s something that was leaned into VERY heavily when Doug reappeared during Necrosha, and was then extrapolated by further writers in the post-Schism New Mutants stuff, but actually, it’s been used fairly sparingly (as has Doug) in between.

We saw him use this during Necrosha which, it was Doug at his darkest (and also I LOVED his reading of micro-expressions during the NM’s chat with Xavier in that arc), but to compare it to someone with a similarly “passive” approach to combat like Prodigy... so, Prodigy knows everything a person near him knows. So, he’s near Wolverine, he knows what Wolverine does about combat. There’s an element here where we have to recognise that for Prodigy to actually be effective in combat he also has to be able to parse through all the knowledge he’s just absorbed to be able to counter the attacks he’s having thrown at him. It’s kind of the same with Doug and body language. Sure, he’ll be able to “read” the body language, but unless he actually knows that person, he’ll need context for how to react. It’s all well and good knowing that someone drops their shoulder during a fight, but he then needs to extrapolate whether that’s that opponent about to attack, feinting to parry, or dropping into defence.

I guess that what I’m trying to say is that while YES his ability to read body language is under-stated here, I think it’s more than fair to say that just understanding body language isn’t enough to be able to use that knowledge unless you’re at least passingly familiar with that person. He’d probably have been just as well off here having Sage or someone try to find any kind of information they could on the warriors he’s likely to face so that he could familiarise himself with their fighting style and learn to read that. After all, it’s unlikely he’s going to be actually fighting against Magik, and as much as she has good intentions in teaching him sword play, unless his opponent is going to fight in a similar style to her, his ability to read body language may not actually be as much of an aid to victory here as people are assuming.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 18 Oct 2020, 12:41

In short: Can Doug survive long enough during the fight to get a good read on his opponent ?
[PL_2.0]

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 Oct 2020, 17:23

Lavettye wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 12:41
In short: Can Doug survive long enough during the fight to get a good read on his opponent ?

That too 😂