Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Force #13

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
das_boot

X-Force #13

Post by das_boot » 07 Oct 2020, 16:00

While I enjoyed this story, the thing that irks me is that it takes two issues to gain one sword. This feels like a bit of a waste given that we know Mikhail has the Cerebro Sword and QQ as a hostage, and that we could have had four swords collected by the end of this week’s trio of issues as opposed to three, but here we are.

BETRAYAL COUNT
Spoiler: show
Murumasa betraying the Hand/The Beast, and arguably also whatever deal is is that Wolverine made with Solem. Also that Solem was unaware that his Adamantium armour would provide no protection from the Murumasa blade but Logan WAS.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

_Rick_

Re: X-Force #13

Post by _Rick_ » 07 Oct 2020, 17:34

Last week I mentioned that I felt that the swords were a bit gimmicky but I'd roll with it as long as they don't turn this event into a boring fetch quest. Does having two issues dedicated to Muramasa qualify? A bit. At least it gave us a bit more insight into the other side, I guess. Solem immediately seems more interesting than the other Arakko swordbearers.

On the other hand these data pages about the Kingdoms of Otherworld are breaking hard the golden rule of "show, don't tell" and leaving me rather cold. I know that a lot of people are liking this expansion on the Otherworldian mythology but I remain unconvinced on if this is superior to the previous conception of Otherworld as shaped by the "collective subconscious of the citizens of the Bristish Isles" with points that connect to the real world. I still don't understand if Avalon is still supposed to be mythical Great Britain (if so what happened to mythical Ireland), if these Kingdoms are subdivisions of Great Britain with Avalon losing terrain or if they're different dimensions that connect physically somehow.
das_boot wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 16:00
While I enjoyed this story, the thing that irks me is that it takes two issues to gain one sword. This feels like a bit of a waste given that we know Mikhail has the Cerebro Sword and QQ as a hostage, and that we could have had four swords collected by the end of this week’s trio of issues as opposed to three, but here we are.
Is the Cerebro Sword part of the set? There was speculation about it due to the preview pages but it wasn't part of the list that Lorna cited. They were:

Muramasa - Wolverine
Sword of Might - Brian (?)
Starlight Sword - Betsy (?)
Grasscutter - Gorgon
Godkiller - Gorgon
Warlock - Cypher
Soul Sword - Magik
Scarab - Apocalypse (?)
Light of Galador - Kable
Skybreaker - Storm

Of course this leaves Gorgon with 2 swords and Betsy doesn't seem to have a sword other than her TK one in the cards so who knows for sure. Polaris only gave 8 prophecies. Even if we count the Captain Britain prophecy as a double one with Betsy and Brian, we are still short 1 defender.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Oct 2020, 19:16

I think the current theory is that with Gorgon listed twice, he may well lose his first battle, meaning a second warrior will have to take up the sword, and that will likely be Magneto

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Oct 2020, 19:30

First fight tournaments are disparaged and now quest...damn, all the best nerd stuff is catching hate lol...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 07 Oct 2020, 20:02

das_boot wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 19:16
I think the current theory is that with Gorgon listed twice, he may well lose his first battle, meaning a second warrior will have to take up the sword, and that will likely be Magneto
That's a possibility but wouldn't you need 10 champions to get to Otherworld anyway? There's 10 spots in the Rockslide circle (I refuse to call it by that extremely poor attempt at Latin) and as of now we don't have 10 people. Unless Warlock counts as both a sword and a person.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Oct 2020, 20:13

I just hope that somebody unlocks their hidden power during the tournament and goes super saiyan 2!!!
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 07 Oct 2020, 20:19

We're definitely in for a bait and switch on the players. Imagine if, say, Brian fell and he was reconstituted as a mutant because of Otherworldy Timey Wimeys.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Oct 2020, 21:43

Looking at these maps and where they show up at...I think they’re more than just fun mythos building data-pages.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Oct 2020, 22:31

Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 21:43
Looking at these maps and where they show up at...I think they’re more than just fun mythos building data-pages.
Totally agree. I can’t remember which issue it was in, but the fact they referenced a realm of vampires in either a Wolverine or Storm-centric issue is just a bit on the nose

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Oct 2020, 22:34

The Marauders issue had a story about a people of light vanishing and being replaced by the Mercators...shadowy assassins.

The X-Force issue had the Furies and their forge...

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 07 Oct 2020, 23:10

The Wolverine one had the Crooked market of Mad Jim Jaspers. Doesn't seem very "Wolverine-y" to me. It would have made more sense to have the vampire ones in Wolverine then since he has been dealing with them there.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Oct 2020, 23:19

But the Mad Jim one talked about a market where you can buy anything...that just sounds like a story beat for alot of books.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 08 Oct 2020, 00:07

If you're going that loose with it, then almost anything fits though. I think if the writers were trying to match them, the Crooked Market would fit Marauders better (since the book is supposedly about the Hellfire Trading Company).

In truth, a lot of them would be better linked to Excalibur. One only has to look at the regents. Mad Jim Jaspers, the Fury Cybiote, Roma, Merlyn and Monarch (and Saturnyne) are all Captain Britain characters. So at least 5 Kingdoms (plus the Starlight Citadel) are linked directly to the Captain Britain mythos. Mercator and Blightspoke might be as well for all we know since their regents are unknown. Countex Oscura and Oublia don't ring a bell but there are Captain Britain stories with vampires infiltrating MI13.

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 08 Oct 2020, 00:27

I'm OK with the data pages fleshing out the Otherworld provinces. Specially because I assume that the provinces will be the battlegrounds where each duel will happen and having a passing knowledge about them and how they operate before we actually see them will help us know what type of environment our heroes will have to adapt to.

Also we can speculate which province each of the X-Men will be assigned to

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Oct 2020, 01:09

Cosmos666 wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 00:27
I'm OK with the data pages fleshing out the Otherworld provinces. Specially because I assume that the provinces will be the battlegrounds where each duel will happen and having a passing knowledge about them and how they operate before we actually see them will help us know what type of environment our heroes will have to adapt to.

Also we can speculate which province each of the X-Men will be assigned to
That’s actually a pretty dope idea...

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 09 Oct 2020, 00:40

One of the best X-Force issues, because there was no X-Force in it to be completely incompetent! I kid, I kid. (Mostly...)

I agree with DB and Rick, the pace here suddenly has me a bit worried. I said after the opening chapter that with 22 issues the story was going to take some unforeseeable turns because no way would a sword tournament take up that many issues, but if we're gonna spend 1-2 issues for getting each sword, then it might well do just that.

I do like that time is being spent on introducing the villains and giving them some nice character, even if I fully expect them to never show up again after this event.

Bit weird to have a data page about the sun forge province in an issue about how hell is the ultimate forge.

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Oct 2020, 11:31

I didn't mind it taking two issues for Wolverine to get his sword because much of that time was spent developing Solem and we need the villain side to be fleshed out if we are going to be more excited for these duels.

Count me though as one who is not a fan of the data pages that explain Otherworld. If they were just describing some of the realms of Otherworld I would like it, but the fact that it is being defined down as the definitive map I don't like. Otherworld was more interesting and made more sense being kept vague and mysterious rather than so rigidly delineated.
Best Comics of Week 47

Best X-Comic: Hellions #6 by Zeb Wells (1) and Carmen Carnero (2)
Best Non-X Comic: Marvels Snapshots Avengers by Barbara Kesel (1) and Staz Johnson (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of week this year

grief

Post by grief » 13 Oct 2020, 22:14

I thought that the Mercator date page was a VERY bold reveal of Mr. M's location - his full name being Absolon Mercator after all. Plus, previous data pages have listed him as Location Unknown. Was it just me?

I tend to agree with the general consensus that I didn't like two issues for one sword, but this story had a lot of ground to cover, ideas to introduce, AND sell us on Solem as a character. Personally - not a fan so far. He reads like Daken used to - arrogantly self-confident, totally in control over his own powers and whatever situation he finds himself in, and able to turn those situations to his favor otherwise. Plus, he won't shut up at all. All this "Solem is gonna be Logan's Loki" stuff SOUNDS great, but I weep for good foes like Sabretooth and Daken. The poor kid's personality has been neutered something fierce since he died.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Oct 2020, 03:06

Cable wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:31
I didn't mind it taking two issues for Wolverine to get his sword because much of that time was spent developing Solem and we need the villain side to be fleshed out if we are going to be more excited for these duels.

Count me though as one who is not a fan of the data pages that explain Otherworld. If they were just describing some of the realms of Otherworld I would like it, but the fact that it is being defined down as the definitive map I don't like. Otherworld was more interesting and made more sense being kept vague and mysterious rather than so rigidly delineated.
I don't think Otherworld is an exact circle with perfect pie-wedge shaped realms. I think it's just a slick representation of the place.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Oct 2020, 10:31

EphemeristX wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 03:06
Cable wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:31

I don't think Otherworld is an exact circle with perfect pie-wedge shaped realms. I think it's just a slick representation of the place.
But it is suggested these are all of the kingdoms, and they do border each other. What the shape is on the margins isn't important (in the center it apparently really is a circle where the "diplomatic ring" is), but this is being presented as a definitive map of the realms of Otherworld with each realm being very defined as to what it is.
Best Comics of Week 47

Best X-Comic: Hellions #6 by Zeb Wells (1) and Carmen Carnero (2)
Best Non-X Comic: Marvels Snapshots Avengers by Barbara Kesel (1) and Staz Johnson (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of week this year