Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marauders #13

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
tokenBG1009

Re: Marauders #13

Post by tokenBG1009 » 09 Oct 2020, 01:50

I wasn't 100% sure of Kyle, but that was also one that really annoyed me. It, again, felt like he was introduced so Marvel could have an "event" centered around two "minority" characters tying the knot. Marginalized. That's the word I'm looking for, not minority. I meant to add this example, but as I said, wasn't completely sure of Kyle's background.

Das is right though. Luke Cage is part of Jessica Jones's origin, more or less. He's there in the first issue in a Friends With Benefits type deal with her. There was never really a time Jessica and Luke weren't SOMETHING to each other. Teddy and Billy had a relationship that spanned YEARS in our time before they were married. Both of these are vastly different than Marvel taking two characters, who had little to do with each other as far as my limited knowledge is aware, and having them get married.

So, it isn't BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK or BECAUSE THEY ARE GAY, but it's WE'RE DOING THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK and WE'RE DOING THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE GAY that rubs me the wrong way. If tomorrow Marvel announced that Dani Moonstar and James Proudstar were getting married and marketed as "Marvel's Two Most Iconic Native Americans are getting married" I'd be pissed too.

It being Hudlin's idea isn't exactly helping it's case though. I've never been a fan of his.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Wings

Post by Wings » 09 Oct 2020, 08:14

Tbf, Ororo and T'Challa did have an established romantic past from back in the Claremont days, and it had been brought occasionally whenever the two interacted. I'd have had less issue with their marriage if it wasn't a case of having Ororo marry T'Challa to up his cool factor. The move only took away from Storm and the X-Men in my opinion, while only giving to BP on a story front.

I also agree this issue had extreme Claremont vibes in the best way.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Oct 2020, 11:48

This wasn't as good as the Wolverine - X-Force story because it took no time to develop a villain as well. We know who Storm is. Who is she going to fight? I like that we are seeing the character selection screen fill up on the X-Men side but I would like to see it fill up on the opposite side as well. And unless we actually see some of the fallout on Wakanda, the central tension of this issue is mostly pointless. It seems like there is conflict but at the same time like both parties don't really disagree at all. I agree with token that this story would have actually been much stronger if T'Challa had not showed up. It kind of makes the situation silly.

Saying Storm and Black Panther's backstory was invented for their marriage is incorrect though. Them knowing each other since childhood was established all the way back in the 80s.
Best Comics of Week 48

Best X-Comic: X-Men #15 by Jonathan Hickman (10) and Mahmud Asrar (2)
Best Non-X Comic: Shang-Chi #3 by Gene Yang (1) and Dike Ruan (2)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of the week this year

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 12 Oct 2020, 12:25

Very good take of Storm by Vita Ayala, whose script has surprised me for good ... I know and have the comics from when Storm and Black Panther were dating in Africa as teenagers, which were actually by John Byrne ... but I'm one of those who have enjoyed her relationship with Forge much more, so I hope the Wakandan divorce has the papers on the table .... The script, completely agree that it is reminiscent of Claremont, although in the 80's with BWS drawing this story and this Kitty Pryde between Bianca Jagger, Sgt Pepper and Michael Jackson would have been real real dope ...
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 Nov 2020, 03:01

Have these Wakandan weapons been referenced before?

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Nov 2020, 03:31

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 03:01
Have these Wakandan weapons been referenced before?
No I believe Skybreaker was invented for this story.
Best Comics of Week 48

Best X-Comic: X-Men #15 by Jonathan Hickman (10) and Mahmud Asrar (2)
Best Non-X Comic: Shang-Chi #3 by Gene Yang (1) and Dike Ruan (2)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of the week this year