Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men #12

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

Re: X-Men #12

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Sep 2020, 14:33

norwichchris wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 14:25
It seems likely to me that the Summoner is setting Apocalypse up for Amenth and his army to invade Krakoa. Remember he has the ability to resurrect his army and he defeated Genesis and the other mutants left behind were on the verge of defeat.
Summoner didn’t resurrect an army.

Amenth is a place, not a person.

Genesis was supposedly defeated by Annihilation, who is the “god” of Amenth.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

kalibeast

Post by kalibeast » 21 Sep 2020, 01:04

As an X-fan, I want to care about this. I do. It seems like it could be truly grand in scale and introduce some new wrinkles into the history of mutants.

But I just... don't care. I don't understand what this crossover is bringing to the X-books other than MORE question marks when we still have a million unanswered questions and dangling plot points from HOX/POX/the past year of comics. I want to give the benefit of the doubt, and maybe there's an overarching plan that brings all these danglers together, but I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information that has been thrown at us and would love some resolution. In X-Men alone, we've touched on Destiny's absence, the mystery of Vulcan, the Crucible, Nightcrawler's new religion, the sexual goings-on in the Summer House, and so much more... without any real resolution to anything.

There are also so many characters who have returned from the dead who we've maybe seen in a cameo here and there, but haven't been on-panel for long enough (or at all) to get a real sense of how much their return means to their friends and family. Like, I care about Skin, Synch, Feral, the Hellions, the Morlocks, Thunderbird, Caliban, Banshee and Siryn (who were only sort of dead, but you get my point), Tempo, Petra, Sway, Rusty Collins, all the Academy X kids, etc. SO much more than I care about Apocalypse and his horsemen from a zillion years ago. Where are THEIR stories? I feel like so many fans got into the X-Men for the characters and their relationships more than the events. I know I did.

Ugh, I'm tired and grumpy today so this isn't coming off super articulately. I just feel like the new status quo of Krakoa isn't even settled yet and the creatives are just putting another hat on a hat on a hat at this point.

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 21 Sep 2020, 02:26

Hickman raised a lot of questions in his F4/Avengers/SW run and, as far as I remember, he delivered the answer in pretty much all of them (whether they were satisfactory or not is subjective, of course).

And I feel this has potential to be very interesting- we're essentially hearing about a mutant community completely separated from the world for millennia. It's both a potential mirror for Krakoa's future and a completely alien civilization at the same time- imagine if a population of a Bronze Age kingdom was transported to today, and what would the effect be on both them and us (ignore the diseases that would kill most of them and possibly a lot of us, since that wouldn't be a factor in mutant society anyway).

elixir86

Post by elixir86 » 21 Sep 2020, 19:45

Usernamenotimportant wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 02:26
It's both a potential mirror for Krakoa's future and a completely alien civilization at the same time
Had the same feeling, these characters are feeling def more alien to me than Kree, Skrull or Brood!

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 22 Sep 2020, 13:19

Blackcyclops wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 14:33
norwichchris wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 14:25
It seems likely to me that the Summoner is setting Apocalypse up for Amenth and his army to invade Krakoa. Remember he has the ability to resurrect his army and he defeated Genesis and the other mutants left behind were on the verge of defeat.
Summoner didn’t resurrect an army.

Amenth is a place, not a person.

Genesis was supposedly defeated by Annihilation, who is the “god” of Amenth.
You are correct.... got myself mixed up with the Purity - White sword who can resurrect all mutants.

Note the Summoner according to his mark is a high summoner so he can summon forth a horde of elementals and 3 daemons. So it's highly likely that he is a spy and will betray them all.

Where does Purity fit in with the Daemons? is he just randomly killing them with his army? interesting to compare the resurrection protocols with Krakoa.