Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Force #11

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

X-Force #11

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Aug 2020, 14:09

I won’t lie, that was pretty cool idea. Terrifying weird lol

Funny how an enemy from like 30 years ago is the villain for the x-men again lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

das_boot

Re: X-Force #11

Post by das_boot » 12 Aug 2020, 16:13

This is gross body horror and I was genuinely here for it this issue.

I still don’t really know where this series is going if we’re to be honest, but I do enjoy the interactions between characters
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 12 Aug 2020, 16:15

Not sure how I felt about this over all but great body horror as usual! Also, wow, X-Force love getting flummoxed.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Aug 2020, 16:22

You know what? Has any X-Force ever been really really good at their job? Lol...

I take that back, UXF the original actually were relatively good at their job. That just proves that Betsy is better than Jean...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Aug 2020, 17:29

... imagine a ninja assassin being better at wetworks than Jean? 😂

Tessa1984

Post by Tessa1984 » 12 Aug 2020, 17:34

I was fairly bored by this. I think this was the first issue of this series that I really didn't care for. The Russian nesting doll creatures just don't do it for me. Neither does whatever is going on with Colossus.
Spoiler: show
And Mikhail is revealed to be behind this? Yawn. Seeing his name brings me back to bad '90s storytelling. For such a subpar character to have the Cerebro sword in his possession just as X of Swords is about to begin doesn't leave me optimistic (about X-FORCE's role in it, at least).

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 12 Aug 2020, 17:56

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 16:22
You know what? Has any X-Force ever been really really good at their job? Lol...

I take that back, UXF the original actually were relatively good at their job. That just proves that Betsy is better than Jean...
Jean's talent is briefly teasing us with the notion that she'll be a fascinating character before reverting into a walking example of why some characters are better left as off-panel concepts to which other characters refer.

Betsy, on the other hand, was an actual intelligence agent before.

Shame Betsy is busy running a D&D campaign. Her talents would be useful here.
Last edited by InsipidLust on 12 Aug 2020, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 12 Aug 2020, 17:57

InsipidLust wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 17:56
Blackcyclops wrote:

Jean's talent is briefly teasing us with the notion that she'll be a fascinating character before reverting into a walking example of why some characters are better left as off-panel concepts to which other characters refer.

Betsy, on the other hand, was an actual intelligence agent before.

Shame Betsy is busy doing running a D&D campaign. Her talents would be useful here.
This post made me laugh hahaha

I agree with every word!

kalibeast

Post by kalibeast » 12 Aug 2020, 21:58

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but has the “Cerebro sword” ever existed/been referenced before this?

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 12 Aug 2020, 22:33

Yes, it was created in X-Force #2. Magneto used the remnants of the Cerebro helmet that Xavier was wearing when he was shot and forged them into this blade, and it is first called "Cerebro Sword" in a data page of X-Force #3.
[PL_2.0]

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 12 Aug 2020, 22:42

Blackcyclops wrote:

QFT. Betsy stan here.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 13 Aug 2020, 03:49

X-Force is fucking incompetent and it's really getting tiring, IMO. If eyerolls could be audible, mine certainly would've been when Beast and Sage's reaction was to both go chase the one flesh dude and LEAVE ALL THE OTHER CORPSES THERE. They already went through one version of surprises in corpses, why do they not have any containment protocols? Or guards? Anything?? Sage apparently manages to get killed by herself off screen. Why aren't they telepathically connected all the time? It's really sad that between "black ops CIA squad" and "drunk pirate party team" it's the latter that's actually competent and good at their jobs, while the former seems unable to do anything except clog up the resurrection queue.

And yeah, Colossus' depression had some interest at first, but now it's just boring. Probably because he's not really explaining it beyond just "meh I just wanna farm now." Though I do wonder about the purple gal hanging out with him. I'm sure Mikhail will spur him back into action at least.

Also the art is kinda... just kinda consistently below-average throughout.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 13 Aug 2020, 04:18

Benjamin Percy really loves killing Quentin. Can somebody tell me how many times he's died so far in this book. It's getting to be a South Park Kenny type gag.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Aug 2020, 15:34

I believe X-Force is suffering from what we in the industry call "The Worf Effect". The best way to show the danger of a new threat is to have them summarily take out the established bad asses. The problem is, when you do this every issue, it has the opposite effect. It doesn't make the threats seem particularly perilous; it makes your bad asses seem weak.

X-Force could use some wins, is all I'm sayin'.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 13 Aug 2020, 18:23

I agree that they are looking like amateurs instead of a highly trained black ops and defense force at Krakoa's service.
Also, when you consider Krakoa as a mix of high tech that could make the Avengers get envious and a living island you might expect either Krakoa being much more sentient and responding to these menaces either containing them or attacking them or having the tech to correctly/efficiently keep them all coordinated and communicating in real time.

Sage was badass in Xtreme Xmen, I cant recognize her here. She is useless, not even using her telepathy.

Also, Cecilia Reyes normally used her force field powerset as an immediate defense triggered by any menace, it was clearly established she could do other things but she was much more limited than others (so we cant compare her to Sue Richards)... however here she is nearly killed when, for once, she should have been able to activate her force field and be safe. I didnt like this.

Quentin dying in every issue is becoming tiresome and not funny anymore.

And now that Jean is gone it is evident this "team" needs firepower, it makes no sense to deputy a squad to protect the island that is unable to do so in a consistent basis.
I do think Bishop (because his background in the XSE) should be here with Sage, Domino, Colossus, Wolverine and Black Tom. Quentin needs to go elsewhere.
Other fitting characters for this team as possible firepower could be Vulcan, Petra and Sway, Banshee and Forge (this duo is badass), Thunderbird and Monet.
Petra could play a nice combo with Black Tom/Krakoa, Sway could fit any black ops mission due to her powerset, Vulcan is raw power, Thunderbird (John) was a badass and could use some time to re-establish himself...

Its a pity Betsy is busy playing D&D (thanks InsipidLust!) as she could perfectly fit this team.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 13 Aug 2020, 18:50

This was lackluster. I agree with the criticisms that Krakoa's defenses. For all the talent that resides on that island and the advancements both technological and biological, this 'team' is just getting spanked and made to look foolish. I would have really enjoyed a duration of time where this world was impervious to outside influences and a more developed security team perhaps did engage in espionage or state secrets. Instead, we have more human attackers ready to make themselves as unnatural and menacing as the mutants they hate. The body horror her is fun, but I was certainly amongst the readers who thought 1)How did Dr. Reyes get stabbed when her power protects her involuntarily and 2) why would you both to leave other bodies unguarded or unsealed in a room. Needs improvement.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 13 Aug 2020, 21:26

Is Beast leading X-Force that's probably why they seem incompetent. Seriously would never want to be on a team led by him they all keep getting killed in some pretty gruesome ways.

They can always resurrect themselves hence maybe why they have such poor security? they may have assumed at the time they needed to cut the body open to escape? it's a poor excuse but it's the only one that makes sense. I too as Medium13 mentioned would want to see them engage in espionage and protecting state secretes, they just seem to go from one disaster after another.

My favourite parts were Colossus wanting to go back to being a farmer and living a quite simple life he had before Joining the X-men.

Was the cuckoo Quentin was with the same as the one he tried to go out with back in Morrison run of X-men?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Aug 2020, 00:08

I think the issue here is exactly what Eph said... in upping the stakes at the expense of X-Force’s perceived competence.

That said— with all the tech and general Krakoan wizardry they have at their disposal, this is STILL a fledgling iteration of an intelligence team. Not only do we have the arrogance of Beast and Quire, but the cockiness (I know it’s similar to arrogance but there’s a slight difference that I can’t quite explain) of Domino, Logan and kind of Jean and Sage... like, were the FBI or CIA or MI5/6 as competent as they are now when they first started out? Part of the issue here is that they’re reacting rather than being proactive, and herein lies the issue: certainly in recent years we’re used to a more proactive X-Force, and I certainly feel like “intelligence agency” lends itself to the notion that they should be looking for what they can do to stop a threat before it becomes one, and it’s certainly the feeling we had in the first issue: Domino already infiltrating a terrorist group— but that seems to have just not continued and everything is a reaction.

If this title is building to X-Force fully hunting down these threats, then great! But if not... this book really does need to start providing something more than body horror to maintain longevity

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 14 Aug 2020, 09:52

To be honest, X-Force could look far more efficient even if the threats oversmart them.
It would not be the first or the last time an organized team strike successfully or outsmart the Xmen but it feels they are extremely sloppy and careless, Krakoa is far from having the defenses and technology protecting and securing the island that it should.
When Xavier died in the first issue I didnt get bothered by it but now its becoming a serious issue and it makes mutants extremely easy to exterminate, they just need to strike on the 5 and set up a modest atomic/hydrogen bomb somewhere and bye felicia...

Also, Beast has not experience in this subject, he should be working with Sinister and learning (as his AoA counterpart) as they do share a lot of traits.
Really, why didnt they put Bishop in charge creating the XSE in our time?
Krakoa's population includes so many different characters and powersets that they should be able to create not only a nearly perfect defense team but also a perfect strike/black ops team.
Trinary, Madison Jeffries and Forge combined with Sage and Doug should be able to use the tech in Krakoa as never seen before.
Black Tom, Nature Girl and Petra (amongst others) should be the organic/nature complement to the tech.

And the strike team could be easily perfected using other different key players in krakoa.
As it happens with Marauders this book is fun but its quickly becoming just a filler. I think these books should be limited series serving to a purpose and ending when the story to be told finishes.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 14 Aug 2020, 12:15

This title is/was not my favorite. I didn't expect much from it, but in the beginning it surpassed my expectations, and by now it's barely meeting them. It's gory sci-fi horror, not a genre I'm really interested in. Neither of these dark op X-Force predecessors were my cup of tea either.

That said, while I do agree with the team looking somewhat imcompetent, I think we need to keep in mind that they were never designed or intended as a functioning elite security group and spy agency. Preview blurbs and creator interviews aside, if you just look at the opening storyline, it's actually only Black Tom, Sage and Beast who are part of the island's security and science staff, and Domino and Colossus were sent away on covert missions, not neccessarily related. Logan, Quentin and Jean then got dragged in when Xavier was assassinated, and afterwards - when they decided they needed a secret X-Force to deal with such threats - they recruited the ones that were already in the know.

So instead of picking people best suited for the job, they went with risk minimizing to not further expose the secret. Turns out that this wasn't the best approach, Jean already quit as she doesn't agree with how Beast runs things, and Kid Omega is so used to being the most powerful person in the room that he gets reckless and careless. He lacks training and discipline. Colossus doesn't want to be there at all. Hopefully this is just the start of a new storyline that will lead to a different line-up better suited for the job.
Last edited by Lavettye on 14 Aug 2020, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
[PL_2.0]

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Aug 2020, 15:16

The nitpicking roster thing is something I’m over at this point because as we see in the various drafts, we can all spend 5011 hours picking our ideal lineups Because of what we like and what nobody else would think of...But I do agree with Lavettye’s assessment after thinking about it.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 14 Aug 2020, 21:31

Another thing we might want to consider is arrogance. They have conquered death with the resurrection protocol and feel they are invincible so why would they bother with security exactly? and they can also call on the firepower of virtual every mutant on Earth. They believe they have nothing to fear, unsure if this is a plot-line or how the story is written?

Think this arc of X-Force will end with a new more efficient team led by Sage/Domino and Beast can go work for Sinister or something.

Tessa1984

Post by Tessa1984 » 14 Aug 2020, 23:00

norwichchris wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 21:31
Another thing we might want to consider is arrogance. They have conquered death with the resurrection protocol and feel they are invincible so why would they bother with security exactly? and they can also call on the firepower of virtual every mutant on Earth. They believe they have nothing to fear, unsure if this is a plot-line or how the story is written?
I don’t think so. We’ve already seen plenty examples of folks still fearing death. Plus they've learned plenty of times in X-FORCE alone that they’re very vulnerable.

Tessa1984

Post by Tessa1984 » 14 Aug 2020, 23:00

norwichchris wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 21:31
I don’t think so. We’ve already seen plenty examples of folks still fearing death. Plus they've learned plenty of times in X-FORCE alone that they’re very vulnerable.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 15 Aug 2020, 15:40

norwichchris wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 21:26
Was the cuckoo Quentin was with the same as the one he tried to go out with back in Morrison run of X-men?
No, Quentin was in love with Sophie. This is Phoebe. I'm hoping this is the Cuckoos playing games or that we get more depth to it because the Cuckoos have generally been disgusted by Quentin in the past.

I continue to enjoy this title more than some of the other X-Books but I cannot stand the constant deaths in this book and Ben Percy's other title, Wolverine. I suppose you can chalk it up to the X-Men being more lax because they have resurrection protocols but it's coming off as plain silly.

Also, if Wolverine and X-Force are going to be so intertwined, perhaps an editors note or two would help. I didn't realize those guys being dissected in the beginning were from the opening Wolverine arc until halfway through.