Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marauders #10

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Fenix

Marauders #10

Post by Fenix » 27 May 2020, 12:57

Well, another solid issue, Matteo Lolli art's reminds me of Stefano Caselli's which is always good news.
Spoiler: show
Kitty as we thought is, seemingly, being unable to be resurrected which is surely related to the fact she can't access the Krakoa portals and possibly with the revelation dropped during the Return of Wolverine miniseries.
However, if Sinister could make himself mutant... in case Kitty is not a real mutant (which is a HUGE retcon that need to be threaded very carefully) the question is... can Sinister do the same as he did with himself? Because we all know Kitty is not staying dead and the cliffhanger is not about if she is truly dead but about how they are going to bring her back and when.

Loved Emma here even if I found myself wondering if she would really behave like that.
Loved Storm and Forge talking... and the Xmen in general were absolutely badass in this issue.

elixir86

Re: Marauders #10

Post by elixir86 » 27 May 2020, 13:47

True, the art is reminescent of Stefano Caselli's, love Lolli's work on Marauders.

Can't wait to read the origin story of the Mercury.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 27 May 2020, 14:01

I adored this issue so much, Emma is simply thriving after Hox/Pox and i couldnt be happier. I love the Mercury and i want to read that story. Also, i know we have kind of moved on from the "Professor X might be evil" but, re reading Carey's run, it got me thinking, could the reason for Kate's inability on passing the krakoan gates and
not being able to be resurrected
be related to her knowledge of Destiny's diaries?, If so, i could understand how, along the lines of not resurrecting Ruth and Destiny, the Professor would not allow for Kate to come back if inside her head there were krakoan related secrets, though it would be incredibly cruel of him. Also, remember that Emma and Kitty had mental failsafes regarding the diaries so their location was erased from Kate's and Emma's memories, for security.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 May 2020, 14:15

I always love a “watch the X-Men been incredibly competent” comic and you combine it with beautiful art and this was a very welcome start to comics being back.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 27 May 2020, 17:40

manuel_mc89 wrote:
27 May 2020, 14:01
I adored this issue so much, Emma is simply thriving after Hox/Pox and i couldnt be happier. I love the Mercury and i want to read that story. Also, i know we have kind of moved on from the "Professor X might be evil" but, re reading Carey's run, it got me thinking, could the reason for Kate's inability on passing the krakoan gates and
be related to her knowledge of Destiny's diaries?, If so, i could understand how, along the lines of not resurrecting Ruth and Destiny, the Professor would not allow for Kate to come back if inside her head there were krakoan related secrets, though it would be incredibly cruel of him. Also, remember that Emma and Kitty had mental failsafes regarding the diaries so their location was erased from Kate's and Emma's memories, for security.
I also got a feeling Xavier knows why it wont work (and i bet he and the Trirumvirate are behind it as well)

And overjoyed we have comics again! 8-)
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 May 2020, 17:57

Triumvirate? Who is that?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 27 May 2020, 18:12

Xavier, Mags and Moira, I assume.
[PL_2.0]

whitehotcrowne

Post by whitehotcrowne » 27 May 2020, 18:27

manuel_mc89 wrote:
27 May 2020, 14:01
Can you elaborate on Kitty's knowledge of the diaries? And what is this about Emma and Kitty having failsafes for the diaries? I would think above anyone else, it would be Mystique or Rogue who had the most knowledge of the diaries, since Mystique was initially hired by Destiny to help her with them, not to mention that they were later married, or that Rogue most likely absorbed Destiny's powers and memories (I don't know for certain if she did, but she definitely did with Mystique).

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 27 May 2020, 18:32

This was a fun issue from a series I continue to enjoy, despite its occasional flaws.

Also, I've read this exact Emma Frost scene on an RP site. How funny.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 27 May 2020, 20:36

I read this just out of interest and having comics again.

Still didn’t love it, even without Kitty. There were some nice character beats for sure, but like... I don’t know how to reconcile an Emma who flashed her boobs as a battle strategy when she’s more than ample enough telepath to take people down with her powers. I dunno. This felt a bit cheap to me.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 May 2020, 20:39

To be fair to Emma, she only showed cleavage and not actual boobs...

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 27 May 2020, 21:12

I read that particular Scene more in a sense of providing an Explanation for why she always dressed the way she did. Even back in the HFC, the male member wore historical clothes, and Emma wore a Playboy bunny or HFC waitress outfit. Lourdes Chantel didn't and neither did ned Buckman's wife/queen, so why did she? And why did she keep wearing such revealing clothes through all the years. Maybe because she likes showing off, but Maybe she likes showing off because it makes it easier for her to manipulate people.
[PL_2.0]

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 May 2020, 21:20

Yeah coupled with the conversation with Pyro, it was her showing off...

whitehotcrowne

Post by whitehotcrowne » 27 May 2020, 21:54

Are we to assume that Masque is there to alter Daniels appearance?

Also, why is Sophie wearing all black and not Esme?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 May 2020, 22:21

whitehotcrowne wrote:
27 May 2020, 21:54
Are we to assume that Masque is there to alter Daniels appearance?

Also, why is Sophie wearing all black and not Esme?

No, I think we’re to assume that they’re just friends in a protected Morlock-Krakoan community. It was meant to show a softer side of the X-community (really the whole issue was pretty much standard classic X-Men superheroing, even the memory wipes are OG Xavier) and be a type of happy ending.

gardien

Post by gardien » 27 May 2020, 22:54

Well this was a great reintroduction,reintroduction to comics. Glad to see Bishop embracing the red outfit. Im gonna call it now,
The Mercury is either Danger or E.V.A acting apart from fantomex
X-Men Draft Team: M, Danger, Jubilee, Pixie/Nightmare, Lil' Slim (05 Cyclops), Kid Gladiator, Armor, Gardien (Nature Girl), Viewtiful (Eye Boy), Velocidad

"Prepare for tales from the Generation NeXt!!"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 May 2020, 23:49

I just like Bishop’s hair too...clearly someone is up to trends with men’s hair!

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 28 May 2020, 00:27

Decent issue. I agree with BC that I always like seeing the X-Men be competent, which is something that's largely been delivered in spades on this title (compare to X-Force, which seems to whiplash between outstanding competence and utter stupidity).

Took me awhile to recognize Bishop, the haircut makes him look so much younger.

The Emma bit was interesting, because I've often seen that theorized as a reason for why she dresses the way she does, but I'm not sure if that's ever actually been on page before. Emma's certainly strong enough she doesn't need to do something like that to take out four dudes.

I did find this a bit decompressed for my taste, though. It's not bad on the whole - showing the X-Men taking out the Russian weapons ship, with a little teaser continuing the Kitty plotline, and some character bits here and there - that's a good solid issue. But I found that the construction of a lot of pages was wasteful... for example, there's no need for a conversation between Forge and Tempo about whiskey (and then Forge and Storm about weapons) to have one speech bubble per panel. That's the sort of thing that could easily be condensed and leave more room to show off other stuff later.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 28 May 2020, 02:01

I fall somewhere in the middle of this thing regarding Emma.

I agree that she should be more than powerful (or skilled) enough to overwhelm the minds of these guys given what she's been shown to do pretty consistently in the past, but we don't know what training they have for dealing with telepaths (a factor that should register as a given imo seeing how this is essentially a Russian anti-mutant task force)... But Emma is also the kind of person who will lean into whatever advantage suits her best in that moment, and I do think some writers believe in using that "using her sexuality as a distraction" trope.

On the other hand, though, I understand why some readers feel it's tired when male writers and artists in particular (but all writers in general) trot the "she uses her sexuality as a weaponized distraction" line out, even taking into account that Emma has been consistently portrayed as a sex-positive character with a penchant for the risqué (and, hey, I can relate to that). Some would surely take the position that it's far from coincidental that a character just so happens to have a personality and combat philosophy that titillates in a cheese-cakey way.

I respect where people are coming from in both ways. I thought the moment was ridiculous but not in a particularly positive or negative way. This series loves its humorous moment and likes to nod to character beats from the past, and it seemed this was just another example of that.

In other news I just hope somebody hurts Shaw soon.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

kalibeast

Post by kalibeast » 28 May 2020, 05:02

How great was it to see a Tempo again! Her death in Age of X was such a cheap move. Her power set could make her such an interesting and powerful addition to a team book.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 May 2020, 09:30

Oh, also, I’m not sure at all how I felt about Tempo’s new stegosaurus inspired helmet.

But totally agree that Bishop’s hair is on point. Never mind character redemption, they’re giving him hot man energy, and I approve this message.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 May 2020, 12:22

It was probably to give it less bullet-head vibes...

medium13

Post by medium13 » 28 May 2020, 14:17

I liked this issue and I think it proved this book can bring a lot of levity even when there is serious conflict. Who'd have thought Storm would have such effective humor beats with so little? As I approached Emma's controversial moment, I didn't think it was going to work for me. I usually don't really buy into the Emma loves exposing herself and wearing revealing clothing because it makes her feel powerful, but, it did feel empowering and tongue-in-cheek in this particular issue What was the story with the UFO ? Am I missing something or am I to infer that somehow Christian Frost is responsible for controlling it? I also co-sign that Bishop is looking hot AF, but I do think it's a bit of a young look for him.

I'm optimistic about the mystery that is Kitty. It doesn't seem to be a conspiracy as Professor X is trying to problem solve the issue and even asserts she can't be brought back...yet. To me the most probably solution was that the leaders didn't want Kitty exploring Krakoa and its many secrets, but I believ there was a line here that states she can't as there are areas secured even from her. I'm not interested in a Kitty is not a mutant retcon, and that also doesn't do much for me as a storyline. To me it's less of a portal issue and more of a what makes Kitty so unique that she is exempt from the processes of resurrection? Could Shaw's influence extend to one of the five or perhaps someone else has mandated the refusal on the Quiet Counsel. I found it odd no other telepath picked up Magneto's exchange with Sophie.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 28 May 2020, 15:11

whitehotcrowne wrote:
27 May 2020, 18:27

Can you elaborate on Kitty's knowledge of the diaries? And what is this about Emma and Kitty having failsafes for the diaries? I would think above anyone else, it would be Mystique or Rogue who had the most knowledge of the diaries, since Mystique was initially hired by Destiny to help her with them, not to mention that they were later married, or that Rogue most likely absorbed Destiny's powers and memories (I don't know for certain if she did, but she definitely did with Mystique).
Ok so, what happened right previous to Messiah Complex was that Sinister was sending out his team to kill every telepath that could foresee Hope's birth, and also to steal Destiny's diaries, so that once Hope would be born, the X-Men wouldnt know what to do, and the owner or possesor of the diaries at that point was Kitty, and so they in fact did went to the mansion to get them, and left when they found out they were blank.

Conveniently, months before the attack Kate was worried that they would be properly hidden, so Scott decided that Kitty was going to hide them, and then Emma would erase their location from her mind and make everyone believe the fake copies were the original diaries. Once the attack happened Emma reactivated these memories from Kitty's mind using a word, and Kitty did the same.

Its probably not related to those diaries, but it could be interesting if something along those lines happened, where there are erased memories in Kitty's mind regarding the content of the diaries.

Also, also check this out, i didnt pick up on this before: https://twitter.com/nnusbeitel/status/1 ... 6554079232
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 28 May 2020, 18:57

Duggan really seems to like touching on referential character moments. I wonder if that thing with the gun will result in Emma capping Shaw like she did Adrienne Frost back in the day. Personally, I would like to see it. I feel like Charles and Magneto really fumbled the bag in making her take him back on in this Hellfire enterprise.