Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

GSXM: Nightcrawler #1

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

GSXM: Nightcrawler #1

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Mar 2020, 13:58

So we get Lady Mastermind, we find out Sidri (mentioned in another book) are nesting in Westchester and the Warlock/Cypher mystery deepens but clears up alil...

Just want to point out I wasn’t wrong when I said that the Warlock image was something...so to everyone who doubted me :P
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Gremlin

Re: GSXM: Nightcrawler #1

Post by Gremlin » 25 Mar 2020, 14:06

Yeah this was a surprising way to move along the Cypher/Warlock sub-plot. I’m not sure why Warlock’s existence needs to be a secret, although I feel that he will play a major role in Hickman’s endgame with the Technarchy/Phalanx.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Mar 2020, 14:08

Yeah Doug was going to say but in a very Claremont move (really liked it actually), the current action stopped it and we’re left with a cliffhanger....
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

MultipleMadrox

Post by MultipleMadrox » 25 Mar 2020, 16:18

I liked this fine, but why in the world was it titled Nightcrawler? Kurt did next to nothing. This was a Cypher story if it was anyone's.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Mar 2020, 17:19

MultipleMadrox wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 16:18
I liked this fine, but why in the world was it titled Nightcrawler? Kurt did next to nothing. This was a Cypher story if it was anyone's.
Exactly my thoughts
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 25 Mar 2020, 17:46

Yeah same. I feel that they used Nightcrawlers name as it has more recognition. Calling it Giant Sized X-Men: Cypher probably hasn’t got as much appeal.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 25 Mar 2020, 17:55

Hickman basically admitted as such in interviews:
We actually weren’t going to do Giant-Size one-shots, they were going to be five annuals, written by me, of all the other Dawn of X titles. However, there was some kind of concern about numbering, or solicitation, that would complicate that, so we switched to the title “Giant-Size,” which then led to some other problem I can’t remember and we eventually landed on Giant-Size: Character name.

Which really only partially reflects the content of the books. I dunno what to say, this isn’t a perfect world we live in.

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 25 Mar 2020, 18:36

Blackcyclops wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 14:08
Yeah Doug was going to say but in a very Claremont move (really liked it actually), the current action stopped it and we’re left with a cliffhanger....
I felt like in a Claremont issue because of what you said and the art by Alan Davis...I liked it! :mrgreen:
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

medium13

Post by medium13 » 26 Mar 2020, 13:09

I was let down by this, probably because I was expecting a little more character depth and exploration for Nightcrawler, although reading the interview language from above, does clarify that these were never really character driven issues as the titles suggest. Perhaps Marvel should consider that though next time, because while I loved the art and homage in GSXM: Jean Grey and Emma Frost, this is the second time the title was disappointing. Anyway, I'll take what I can get here. It was fun to see Nightcrawler lead a team again. The story itself doesn't move us much further at all, but I was curious to see the X-Mansion since Krakoa set up borders. I knew this was the Sidri - or possibly suspected it was the N'Gari , so I don't think the story elements were that great. I suppose it's fun to get Lady Mastermind back but it feels like a rehash of her appearance in Carey's run, which could be fun to revisit but that too seems unlikely.

totaldarknessin

Post by totaldarknessin » 26 Mar 2020, 17:33

The theme of this book wasn't my cup of tea; but overall I do like DOX so why not. My only real statement is; The X-mansion doesn't belong to Doug, or nightcrawler, or magic, or any of them. It's Xaviers. They don't get to just let some alien race take over the mansion and it's grounds. If this had any semblence of reality, wouldn't someone speak up and say.. hey, maybe we need to run it by Xavier or the Quite Counsel before we do it. Also, even if we are going to accept that Krakoa is the new mutant place. There should always be a "sacred grounds" type of reverence to the X-mansion; not unlike how many peoples of the real world; always hold a certain respect for wherever their ancestral home is; or how athletes often go back to their old high school or colleges years later as that is their alma mata.

Wings

Post by Wings » 26 Mar 2020, 20:32

Well in fairness the Sidri might have killed them all if Doug hadn't made the call, and they agreed to leave people coming to use the gate alone.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 26 Mar 2020, 22:07

Im just dumbfounded about the warlock arm being a legit mystery in the books, like, its ridiculous your friend walks around with his arm like that and you have never asked? Like, i would accept that we would have gotten it with it hidden in like his spine, but it is out in the open, its a really bad kept secret, that makes me think that nobody talks to Doug.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 26 Mar 2020, 22:11

manuel_mc89 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 22:07
Im just dumbfounded about the warlock arm being a legit mystery in the books, like, its ridiculous your friend walks around with his arm like that and you have never asked? Like, i would accept that we would have gotten it with it hidden in like his spine, but it is out in the open, its a really bad kept secret, that makes me think that nobody talks to Doug.
Because they handled it like a techno/organic infestation, not Warlock himself. He died in some time ago and his remains merged with a couple of X-Men.

I think that’s the story so far about him.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 26 Mar 2020, 23:15

Your explanations seems logical but it still don't understand why it is a mystery they way it has been presented. I mean why, when its been out in the open, there hasnt been a discussion before, like how did you get your arm like that? If Doug is trying to hide Warlock, for whatever reason, having your whole arm be techo is not very conspicuous and that type of evident infestation wouldve asked for any previous reaction from a number of people, including Beast, at a previous point.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Mar 2020, 23:19

manuel_mc89 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 22:07

I don’t know...

See I thought about what happened in Rosenberg’s X-Men, so I assumed they all thought Warlock was dead and Cypher just has a techno-organic arm and just told everyone it’s leftover from then...but yeah nobody has directly referenced it but clearly they don’t know because the Magik (and Cyclops scene) scene indicates it as such.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 28 Mar 2020, 21:09

totaldarknessin wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 17:33
The theme of this book wasn't my cup of tea; but overall I do like DOX so why not. My only real statement is; The X-mansion doesn't belong to Doug, or nightcrawler, or magic, or any of them. It's Xaviers. They don't get to just let some alien race take over the mansion and it's grounds. If this had any semblence of reality, wouldn't someone speak up and say.. hey, maybe we need to run it by Xavier or the Quite Counsel before we do it. Also, even if we are going to accept that Krakoa is the new mutant place. There should always be a "sacred grounds" type of reverence to the X-mansion; not unlike how many peoples of the real world; always hold a certain respect for wherever their ancestral home is; or how athletes often go back to their old high school or colleges years later as that is their alma mata.
Honestly If he let his mansion in that state its fair to say Xavier does not care at all about the place. Maybe he feels he is completely cutting of the past and focusing on the future of Krakoa.

I thought the X-men felt haunted by the place more than any reverence even before the illusions started. Personally don't think any of the X-men want to remember the mansion and whatever happened for them to abandon it completely.