Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

House of X #3 (SPOILERS)

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
MultipleMadrox

House of X #3 (SPOILERS)

Post by MultipleMadrox » 28 Aug 2019, 04:00

Spoiler: show
Cyclops reports back to Xavier and Magneto to let them know that he's assembled a team to raid the Mother Mold. Cyclops' team is Jean, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Angel, M, Husk, and Mystique. To avoid the risk of Orchis scientists getting a piece Krakoa, the team is going about their mission the old-fashioned way, travelling by jet.

Meanwhile, at Project Achilles, a supervillain prison, Sabretooth is getting charged for his bad behavior in the first issue, when they're interrupted... by Emma Frost! She and two Cuckoos are here to flaunt their new diplomatic immunity, rubbing it in all the humans' faces by returning Sabretooth to Krakoa.

Back on the Mother Mold, Karima is cautioning the Orchis scientists about biting off more than they can handle when it comes to sentinels, but she's interestingly forced between both sides when the X-Men show up. She has a quick moment with Nightcrawler as he bamfs in to do recon, where she suggests she feels the X-Men have also gone too far. Orchis is in no way prepared for a threat like the X-Men and desperate, Gregor's husband, Erasmus, blows himself up to hit the X-Jet docked above him.

One of the graphics confirms that what we're seeing in Year Ten is Moira's tenth life. Apparently with the information she gleaned in Powers #3, she and Xavier created a system of telepaths called the Sleeping Giant, which existed specifically to monitor for Mother Molds, the source of Nimrod.
I loved this issue, felt like it really kept up the fast pace from the latest Powers. I think people who were hoping for this being the big X-Men issue are going to be a little disappointed though. We are still seeing the X-Men through the eyes of the humans, which I think works really well for creating dread or concern over how they're behaving with Krakoa, but does also keep them at a distance. On that note, Xavier is still a grade-A creep here, but I feel like outside of the opening scene, none of the X-Men act particularly mind controlled or altered. When Nightcrawler reports back to Cyclops, he mentions just "an Omega Sentinel" and not specifically Karima, which was weird. Curious to see what other's make of it. I'm also very interested to see what side of this fight Karima ends up. Future versions to the contrary, here she doesn't seem overly committed to either.
Also, I love Emma.

SW442

Re: House of X #3 (SPOILERS)

Post by SW442 » 28 Aug 2019, 05:21

Very ruthless line from Emma
Normally i'd dominate that little mind of yours & make you stick that gun where your last bf left you.
This issue sounds good. But it'll be many more hours before I can actually get hold of the issue. But it sounds great, and what I have been waiting for since HOX 1. lol

Can't wait to see all the characters in full, and the few panels I have seen are all wonderful. Larraz + Gracia are A game.

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 28 Aug 2019, 09:55

Really loved this issue again, Hickman keeps delivering Gold.
- It all makes sense more now how the info Moira got in her ninth live is used in her tenth. I hope we will see more of these graphs how Moira's former lives influences the Trirumvirate (Moira, Xavier, Magento) plans and decisions.
- One thing for sure Xavier and Magneto are more creepier then ever and i am intrigued where Moira is herself by now.
- It also seems the humans aren't prepared at all that the X-men already know Orchis exists. So Moiras knowledge helps but the X-men desperate measures to stop what they now know will probably also invoke more unpredicted desperate measures from the humans
MultipleMadrox wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 04:00
Also, I love Emma.
Metoo, she really is badass again at he side of the X-men like she was pre Death of X/IvsX.
SW442 wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 05:21
Very ruthless line from Emma
Normally i'd dominate that little mind of yours & make you stick that gun where your last bf left you.
This line makes X-men an R-rated book :D
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Aug 2019, 11:00

I’m just glad this book was smartly titled House of X because it really doesn’t feel like a X-Men book. And what I mean by that is that the book really feels focused on other people except for the X-Men. Sure Emma had a great moment but the overall story feels much more being pushed forward by Moira X, Xavier and the humans than the larger X-Men. Which is fine, that makes it feel like an event book where people get moments but the larger story isnt driven by them. I just know if it was actually titled X-Men, I think I’d expect more actual X-Men...if that makes sense.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Aug 2019, 11:00

The only person who feels wrong to me though is Logan and Cyclops...only those two make me believe they are pod-prople. Everyone else fits...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Aug 2019, 11:30

Blackcyclops wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:00
The only person who feels wrong to me though is Logan and Cyclops...only those two make me believe they are pod-prople. Everyone else fits...
Certainly Scott’s dialogue is odd, particularly when talking to Xavier. Xavier’s responses are odd too. But once Scott is talking to the team he sounds more normal.

I’m more certain than ever that these events are not happening sequentially right after the 616 stories we’ve been reading for decades. This is not the timeline we know. That’s why Jean is still Marvel Girl. Something different happened in this life of Moira.

I’m glad we’re getting more plot and character, and we seem to have moved on from so much set-up. I’m not really familiar with Karima, but it seems she’s not entirely sure what side she’s on. When Kurt says she’s picked a side, she responds that the X-Men picked it for her, so presumably something happened where they rejected or abandoned her. On the other hand, when the humans don’t know who Kurt is, she says something under her breath suggesting she’s annoyed or disappointed in her allies, or at least whistful for her time with the X-Men.
Last edited by Nu-D on 28 Aug 2019, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 Aug 2019, 11:30

Sorry BC but I’m here to disagree with you just for a change...
Jean’s totally off too. She’s passive to the point of not actually doing ANYTHING this issue and it feels almost as though her role there is to play willing participant to Scott and Xavier. Logan felt fine for the few lines he had, as did Monet and Mystique.

Emma? ON. POINT. Beautifully written. Not sure I loved the Cuckoos calling her mum though. It felt a bit... I dunno. Slightly creepy, but then it’s accurate I guess? And literally, just after we speak about how to make Creed seem like a threat again, there’s this issue which highlights his value to the mutant cause.

Also, was I supposed to infer from this that Krakoa is on the Moon’s dark area? Or is that just where they launched their ship from?

I’m also calling it now— Xavier’s helmet is somehow connected to Moira and feeds him her knowledge even across time
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Aug 2019, 11:33

das_boot wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:30
Sorry BC but I’m here to disagree with you just for a change...
Jean’s totally off too. She’s passive to the point of not actually doing ANYTHING this issue and it feels almost as though her role there is to play willing participant to Scott and Xavier. Logan felt fine for the few lines he had, as did Monet and Mystique.

Emma? ON. POINT. Beautifully written. Not sure I loved the Cuckoos calling her mum though. It felt a bit... I dunno. Slightly creepy, but then it’s accurate I guess? And literally, just after we speak about how to make Creed seem like a threat again, there’s this issue which highlights his value to the mutant cause.

Also, was I supposed to infer from this that Krakoa is on the Moon’s dark area? Or is that just where they launched their ship from?

I’m also calling it now— Xavier’s helmet is somehow connected to Moira and feeds him her knowledge even across time
Well, Jean does worry about the fate of innocent humans.

HoX #1 showed planting a Krakoa flower in the Blue Area. It’s one outpost, but it’s not the main part. The main Krakoa is one an island somewhere. If you can even say there’s one place. The whole point is there are a bunch of habitats interconnected by teleportation.

Who’s the blonde on the Orchis strike team? Magik?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 Aug 2019, 11:44

It’s Husk. She has a cracked face like she has done in her most recent appearances
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Aug 2019, 11:48

das_boot wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:44
It’s Husk. She has a cracked face like she has done in her most recent appearances
Ah. I don’t think I’ve seen her since she shagged Warren in the air over her mom’s house.

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 28 Aug 2019, 11:49

Nu-D wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:30
Blackcyclops wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:00
I’m more certain than ever that these events are not happening sequentially right after the 616 stories we’ve been reading for decades. This is not the timeline we know. That’s why Jean is still Marvel Girl. Something different happened in this life of Moira.
These events in HoX #3 are in Moira's tenth live, the chart in the book also declares it. The knowledge of her ninth live, seen in PoX #3 is used to stop the creating of Nimrod in her tenth.

Is not necessary saying Moira X tenth live is the 616 Universe, though i still think so.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 Aug 2019, 11:51

During Schism we were told her powers were acting up. As of WatX, her face was shown as cracked in most of her appearances, explained as her powers acting up and affecting her mental health. She’s only really appeared briefly since then but it appears that maybe Hickman’s taking that concept and running with it 🤷‍♂️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Aug 2019, 11:55

Flapflop wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:49

These events in HoX #3 are in Moira's tenth live, the chart in the book also declares it. The knowledge of her ninth live, seen in PoX #3 is used to stop the creating of Nimrod in her tenth.

Is not necessary saying Moira X tenth live is the 616 Universe, though i still think so.
Right. Agree this is her tenth life, and the X-Men know about Orchis based on the knowledge Moira brought back. Presumably, all the Krakoa stuff is known from Moira’s accumulated knowledge also.

I just think it’s too big a retcon to line up her tenth life with 616 continuity. Instead, in this life they had her knowledge, Jean avoided becoming Phoenix. Magneto stayed allied with Charles. Etc. The sequence of events in 616 just doesn’t add up if Charles and Eric knew about the future. And I’m not into the self-imposed memory block theory.

I don’t know how PoX and HoX are going to loop us back into the 616, leaving established continuity as “real,” but my hunch is Hickman has an ace up his sleeve, probably related to the missing sixth life. I doubt it will be as simple as XI = 616. I think it’s much more likely he’s going to defy the whole logic of the situation somehow.
Last edited by Nu-D on 28 Aug 2019, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Aug 2019, 11:56

Unpopular opinion: If I never see X again it'll be too soon.

I hate him. I hate the way he looks. I hate the way he speaks. I hate the way he acts. I absolutely detest that character. Reading his dialog literally makes me want to not read anything else.

I know a big chunk of this is just how... wrong he feels for Charles. I know in recent history he's been given some shades of gray. He's done things that are reprehensible. He's not the paragon of virtue he once was seen to be. X is none of Charles Xavier. He makes my skin crawl. I see him and I can only think "Get it off me!"

God, I hate X more than any other character in comics.

Alright, onto my thoughts on the issue...

See above for the interaction of Cyclops/X/Magneto.

Everything else was fantastic. Emma was the most Emma we've seen her in a while. She was near perfection. Grace and wit personified.

The humans are interesting. I hope we don't lose them in the end. I know they're antagonists in this story, but I wouldn't call them villains yet.

PROBABLY BECAUSE OUR HEROES ARE LED BY THE CREEPIEST PERSON I'VE EVER READ.

Ugh, get it off of me!
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Aug 2019, 12:00

tokenBG1009 wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:56
Unpopular opinion: If I never see X again it'll be too soon.

I hate him. I hate the way he looks. I hate the way he speaks. I hate the way he acts. I absolutely detest that character. Reading his dialog literally makes me want to not read anything else.

I know a big chunk of this is just how... wrong he feels for Charles. I know in recent history he's been given some shades of gray. He's done things that are reprehensible. He's not the paragon of virtue he once was seen to be. X is none of Charles Xavier. He makes my skin crawl. I see him and I can only think "Get it off me!"

God, I hate X more than any other character in comics.

Alright, onto my thoughts on the issue...

See above for the interaction of Cyclops/X/Magneto.

Everything else was fantastic. Emma was the most Emma we've seen her in a while. She was near perfection. Grace and wit personified.

The humans are interesting. I hope we don't lose them in the end. I know they're antagonists in this story, but I wouldn't call them villains yet.

PROBABLY BECAUSE OUR HEROES ARE LED BY THE CREEPIEST PERSON I'VE EVER READ.

Ugh, get it off of me!
I know there’s some story related to Xavier and Fantomex or something, but I haven’t read it. Nonetheless, I agree that this version of Charles kinda sucks. But I don’t think we’re supposed to like him.
das_boot wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:51
During Schism we were told her powers were acting up. As of WatX, her face was shown as cracked in most of her appearances, explained as her powers acting up and affecting her mental health. She’s only really appeared briefly since then but it appears that maybe Hickman’s taking that concept and running with it 🤷‍♂️
Thanks. Strange choice of character to dust off for this story.

So, is the Sabertooth subplot important just for setting up the status quo of how mutants relate to human society, or is he an important character and are these specific events important than the story?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Aug 2019, 12:07

Outside of getting a new body, I don't think Fantomex has much to do with it. It's purely X being the vilest thing I've ever read.

He's not even interesting to me. He's Hickmanian. I generally enjoy his work, but he's always got this creep factor going on somewhere in his works. Sometimes it works, but I'm hating it here. I highly doubt we were ever supposed to LIKE him, but I want to delete him from history.
Nu-D wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 12:00
So, is the Sabertooth subplot important just for setting up the status quo of how mutants relate to human society, or is he an important character and are these specific events important than the story?
That's what it seems like. Which really makes me think this is 616 because of it. It doesn't make sense to do this much groundlaying if Moira X's life is going to end and we're going to get X! afterward.
Last edited by tokenBG1009 on 28 Aug 2019, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 28 Aug 2019, 12:16

[/quote]

I just think it’s too big a retcon to line up her tenth life with 616 continuity. Instead, in this life they had her knowledge, Jean avoided becoming Phoenix. Magneto stayed allied with Charles. Etc. The sequence of events in 616 just doesn’t add up if Charles and Eric knew about the future. And I’m not into the self-imposed memory block theory.

I don’t know how PoX and HoX are going to loop us back into the 616, leaving established continuity as “real,” but my hunch is Hickman has an ace up his sleeve, probably related to the missing sixth life. I doubt it will be as simple as XI = 616. I think it’s much more likely he’s going to defy the whole logic of the situation somehow.
[/quote]

I totally agree about life ten being 616 would be too much...I hope there´s not memory block happenning...

On the other hand, in X-Force cover, Jean is wearing the Marvel Girl costume, so....I don´t know what to think...but I´m with you in the idea that LIFE 6 is the key to defy where is our beloved timeline..
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Aug 2019, 12:27

I think we might end up with some kind of hybrid, where 616 and Life X fold in on each other. Established continuity is real, but there’s a discontinuity and the new world from Life X begins and moves forward.

SW442

Post by SW442 » 28 Aug 2019, 12:36

Nu-D wrote:
I know there’s some story related to Xavier and Fantomex or something, but I haven’t read it. Nonetheless, I agree that this version of Charles kinda sucks. But I don’t think we’re supposed to like him
According to Hickman, Xavier is a hero who does what he has to do & Magneto is a villain who does what he has to do. lol But there's still his comment about 92 X-Men and 91 villains that's in the air.
Thanks. Strange choice of character to dust off for this story.
He likes Generation X, and mentioned he just read Phalanx Covenant not long ago and that he planned to fix some things there. So Paige is only the start. Chamber is back
and a variant cover had Skin & Synch on it

So makes sense he's getting her established since she's been the most neglected member who's still alive.
Most likely, it's the former. I doubt he's important. And he's proven pretty incompetent thus far, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten captured. lol So I doubt he's needed that badly.

He's just more of an unlikable character and Emma coming to claim him does establish how disconnected mutants & humans are. They came to get him because he belongs to their nation, and they will not give humans the authority over any mutant in any capacity. Even one like Creed whom they should be happy to give up. They're annexing power from humans. Emma & the Cuckoos left the restraints on him, and may give him a time-out or penalty in Krakoa for screwing up on the mission. So this may be his last appearance. lol

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Aug 2019, 12:43

Nu-D wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 12:27
I think we might end up with some kind of hybrid, where 616 and Life X fold in on each other. Established continuity is real, but there’s a discontinuity and the new world from Life X begins and moves forward.
I’ll be disappointed if HoX/PoX are basically just AoA stories, undone at the end with a few elements dragged into 616.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Aug 2019, 12:46

SW442 wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 12:36
Nu-D wrote:
I know there’s some story related to Xavier and Fantomex or something, but I haven’t read it. Nonetheless, I agree that this version of Charles kinda sucks. But I don’t think we’re supposed to like him
According to Hickman, Xavier is a hero who does what he has to do & Magneto is a villain who does what he has to do. lol But there's still his comment about 92 X-Men and 91 villains that's in the air.
I knew I had read this somewhere, but couldn't remember it. If Xavier is supposed to be a hero then Hickman's utterly failing at making him seem one here. Now if he'd said "Xavier is a hero who does WHAT HE THINKS he has to do" then that would mesh with the story being told. That just puts him in the "hero of their own story" category for a villain.

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 28 Aug 2019, 13:07

Nu-D wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 12:43
Nu-D wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 12:27
I’ll be disappointed if HoX/PoX are basically just AoA stories, undone at the end with a few elements dragged into 616.
Me too, but after what Hickman gave us, I think we won´t be!

Everytime I think of Krakoa in these lifes of Moira, I think of GIANT SIZE 1 and DEADLY GENESIS and everything that happened...Moira and those X Men with Vulcan...I always wanted to know more about that moment in Life of 616 Moira.... and to see Krakoa and Moira in this HOX/POX makes my mind go to that moment, which, by the way, I think has to be revisited (like CLASSIC X MEN 1 did but adding the DEADLY GENESIS stuff to give us the complete story)...I was out from 2007-2010 so I don´t know if there are more flashbacks/stories about this...
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 Aug 2019, 13:08

I don’t even think Xavier feels like a hero or a villain here, he just feels like... I dunno. Like a presence? There’s certainly some sinister vibes from him but overall? He’s just kind of... THERE.

It also irks me that Magneto or Polaris wouldn’t be on a mission to a metallic space station, but I’m enjoying the story, so 🤷‍♂️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 28 Aug 2019, 13:17

Nu-D wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:55
Flapflop wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 11:49

Right. Agree this is her tenth life, and the X-Men know about Orchis based on the knowledge Moira brought back. Presumably, all the Krakoa stuff is known from Moira’s accumulated knowledge also.

The timeline of Moira's tenth live we saw in HoX #2 is to similiar to the 616 timeline, only Moira surviving Mystiques bullet is diffrent, so I still think it is the biggest retcon ever.
Judging the covers and panels seens so far, Dawn of X seems to build on on elements we already see in HoX and PoX (Krakoa, being on the moon etc.). So we are continuing the 616/Moira X live. Only thing is, is the Trirumvirate still in charge or do the (real) X-men choose their own path after this?
But time will tell. I have a feeling will be flabberghasted a lot more times by Hickmans vision/story in the still to come issues.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Aug 2019, 13:35

I do not understand the blind devotion this event is getting everywhere.

Granted, that's because, to me, nothing besides the Moira revelation has been shown to generate the kind of "Oh man this is going to be epic!" that I've seen EVERYWHERE for this event.

There's a weird feeling in me regarding this story so far. It's not bad. I honestly believe it's well written. We're half way in, but it has the same feeling of Avengers/Secret War. There's no heart. It's, to me, just cold. It goes back to my original thoughts when it was announced Hickman would take the reigns. It's cool, it's organic, it's weird. It ain't really X-Men though, again, to me. Maybe I need to just look at it as a pause in X-Men history as we set up the next chapter. Kind of a prologue before things really get going.