Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Powers of X #2 (SPOILERS)

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
MultipleMadrox

Powers of X #2 (SPOILERS)

Post by MultipleMadrox » 14 Aug 2019, 04:05

Spoiler: show
On Island M in the Bermuda Triangle during Year One, Moira takes Xavier to meet with Magneto and they telepathically show him the truth about Moira's powers and past lives. Moira admits that, like Magneto, she is interested in more than just mutant survival, what she wants is mutants thriving and assuming their "rightful place." Xavier is also fully on board, surprisingly, and the three form a partnership.

Ten years later, Xavier and Magneto brief Cyclops on the threat of Orchis and their Mother Mold, a Master Mold that makes Master Molds. Xavier theorizes that this is where Nimrod was created. Despite the odds, Cyclops is confident he can stop it.

One hundred years later, Wolverine is not confident that the data Rasputin and Cardinal brought back is going to be of any use, but Apocalypse is quite pleased with the results. The plant mutant is able to decrypt the stolen drive, giving them information about Nimrod and the Genesis Protocols. They plan what Wolverine derides as a suicide mission to retrieve some sort of important, unnamed item. Meanwhile, Nimrod the Lesser figures out the mutants stole something from him, but he's not sure what.

One thousand years in the future, the Librarian and her Nimrod are on a planet called Nimbus, that is also a collection of different intelligent minds similar to the Kree Supreme Intelligence. They have converted it into a far more powerful worldmind in an effort to attract... the Phalanx! The Phalanx appear and devour the worldmind, but spare the Librarian and Nimrod, who ask the Phalanx to ascend.
So I thought this was an improvement over Powers of X #1, but I am still a lot more confused-confused with this book than I am excited-confused with House of X. They haven't actually said what the Year 100 team is trying to steal/accomplish, right? Am I dumb? While there's still not a lot to hold onto in the Year 100/1000 parts yet, I will say I was pretty intrigued by implications that the plant creature is
Doug Ramsey, or at least his body. Merged with Krakoa somehow? Seems like Cypher (and maybe Warlock with all that technarch info) will really be a big part of this! And even though the Nimbus/Technarch/Worldmind stuff is way over my head, I can't lie, I was pumped to see the Phalanx show up. It makes me want to reread the Excalibur issues where they're with Moira at Muir Island and Douglock is introduced to look for clues.

Flapflop

Re: Powers of X #2 (SPOILERS)

Post by Flapflop » 14 Aug 2019, 08:42

Even more questions than answers. Every week we get more pieces of the puzzle. Can't wait for next week! 8-)
- So Moira, Xavier and Magneto form a trirumvirate to basically take over planet earth to safe mutantdom, though it will be a long term plan. (So everything in the X-men Marvel Universe till now was part of the plan or at least the plan was in the making behind the scenes?) Magneto promises to be on his guard and will only have the goal in mind and if Xavier falters because of sympathy or doubt he will not.
- The second and third story show resemblance, in both a suicide missions seems te be planned. As we know, Moira also still somewhere behind the scens. But is she still part of the Trirumvirate though, maybe Xavier and Magneto sidelined her? Xavier and Magneto really are sinister together here. I seriously got a feeling Xavier was mindcontrolling/mindaltering Scott at least for a short moment.
- Last story: so the plan was (or is turned into now) to ascend to get assimilated by the Phalanx? How dark.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Aug 2019, 10:11

I think it’s safe to say the life of Moira X, shown in Powers of X, is not the 616 universe. (Assuming branching timelines from Moira’s rebirths). The Moira-Charles-Erik triumvirate cannot retcon effectively into 616, even with the most generous reading of the past issues.
He/him/his

SW442

Post by SW442 » 14 Aug 2019, 10:47

I am getting a bit impatient. We're heading into a full month of mostly past & future with hardly any focus on the present.

Hickman knows what he's doing for his book. It's just too bad for me the time period with the characters I am interested in has to wait an entire month, especially in-between extra long work weekends.

HOPEFULLY the HOX 3 cover isn't lying, and the characters pictured will actually be focused on.

This issue's cover present-day characters, and even though I dislike most of them, that still would've been welcome to the indifference and subsequent annoyance I am feelings now. And still got another whole week before POX 3 which I'm sure is more future stuff, then a whole other week after that before we can get to HOX and present day events.
Last edited by SW442 on 14 Aug 2019, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Aug 2019, 10:48

Powers of X #6 comes out on my birthday. The greatest gift the world could give me is not needing to read PoX anymore.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Aug 2019, 10:50

tokenBG1009 wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 10:48
Powers of X #6 comes out on my birthday. The greatest gift the world could give me is not needing to read PoX anymore.
Wow. That’s strong stuff.

I like this title. It’s a bit dry, but I like how it’s building the world.

FWIW, HoX/PoX #2 are the first X-Men comics I’ve bought when it was released as part of a serial (as opposed to in a TPB or as back issues) since the end of Legion Quest in 1995.
He/him/his

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Aug 2019, 10:59

Nu-D wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 10:50
tokenBG1009 wrote:
Wow. That’s strong stuff.

I like this title. It’s a bit dry, but I like how it’s building the world.

FWIW, HoX/PoX #2 are the first X-Men comics I’ve bought when it was released as part of a serial (as opposed to in a TPB or as back issues) since the end of Legion Quest in 1995.
It's mostly hyperbole as we're only 2 issues in, but it's two issues I'm reading only because it's part of a story I'm enjoying much more. PoX is basically everything I was worried about when Hickman was announced to be taking over in the first place.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

SW442

Post by SW442 » 14 Aug 2019, 11:07

tokenBG1009 wrote:
It's mostly hyperbole as we're only 2 issues in, but it's two issues I'm reading only because it's part of a story I'm enjoying much more. PoX is basically everything I was worried about when Hickman was announced to be taking over in the first place.
Gotta agree. But you're better than me. I just view spoiler summaries on reddit the Mon. or Tues. before, and if we're not back to dealing with present day events & actually moving characters I care about forward, then I don't bother to read the issue beyond that summary.

It doesn't help I have to work darn near 10 hours every Sat. when makes getting through the week a chore already, only to get to chapters that deal with none of the characters I care about, beyond 1 or 2 page cameos.

Even though I get annoyed & rant, reading things about present-day characters that annoys or enrages me is better than the disappointment of getting an issue I am 99% indifferent to. At least the former has room for debate, discussion, and a possible chance to see a bright side.With indifference, it's just right back to the beginning of counting down another week, even though I just got done doing that for all of 1 day.

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 14 Aug 2019, 11:24

Nu-D wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 10:11
I think it’s safe to say the life of Moira X, shown in Powers of X, is not the 616 universe. (Assuming branching timelines from Moira’s rebirths). The Moira-Charles-Erik triumvirate cannot retcon effectively into 616, even with the most generous reading of the past issues.
I think its still possible that Moira's tenth live is our 616 Universe. For starters, everything in that timeline we saw in that graph last week, exept of Moira faking her death, has happened. Second the Stryfe between Xavier and Magneto we saw so far in the 616 timeline since 1963 was probably all part of the plan.

But I think we just have to wait and see what Hickman has in store for us.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Aug 2019, 11:54

Flapflop wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 11:24
Nu-D wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 10:11
I think its still possible that Moira's tenth live is our 616 Universe. For starters, everything in that timeline we saw in that graph last week, exept of Moira faking her death, has happened. Second the Stryfe between Xavier and Magneto we saw so far in the 616 timeline since 1963 was probably all part of the plan.

But I think we just have to wait and see what Hickman has in store for us.
I’m not sure I want a Xavier who planned Magneto’s terrorism, even if it was for the greater good.

Also, the sudden new status quo at the beginning of HoX makes more sense if it’s not a direct continuation of 616.

It’s possible, but I think it’s not likely and probably not for the best.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Aug 2019, 12:03

So now I weird that I enjoyed this lol...sure it’s quite q bit of heady scifi jargon, I love the concepts that are being discussed. And yes, I don’t like “certain future” stories just because I always feel like (even if I know they aren’t permanent) they are limiting (now I love alt-future stories) but this one is interesting enough to keep me engaged.

And most of all for this issue, I love the Phalanx retcon.

I’m okay with this book not really featuring the core X-Men. We’ve seen them in HoX, so I’m fine with that since it all feels like a massive and important story.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Aug 2019, 12:17

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:03
So now I weird that I enjoyed this lol...sure it’s quite q bit of heady scifi jargon, I love the concepts that are being discussed. And yes, I don’t like “certain future” stories just because I always feel like (even if I know they aren’t permanent) they are limiting (now I love alt-future stories) but this one is interesting enough to keep me engaged.

And most of all for this issue, I love the Phalanx retcon.

I’m okay with this book not really featuring the core X-Men. We’ve seen them in HoX, so I’m fine with that since it all feels like a massive and important story.
I definitely think I'm the weird one.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Aug 2019, 13:12

I enjoyed this, but mostly because of the world building...
-I’m guessing this is still definitely OUR Wolverine because a) of course it would be and b) he references being born, as opposed to cloned/created.
-it’s odd to see such a fatalistic Xorn when we’re so used to seeing various incarnations of the character who are more pacifistic and... slightly optimistic?
-I think it’s heavily implied here that the X-Men failed in stopping Mother Mold and that’s how they’ve got to the stage they’re at in the future.
-Destiny’s line of “eleven if you make the right choice at the end” seems to be important here— Moira is (at least part of) Nimbus, I think.
I enjoyed this but I agree with people who found it a bit dry. Again, this is a lot of world building but realistically this is only issue 2 of this title. I know it’s billed as “two titles that are one” but I kind of feel as though this is the horrifying warning that HoX is setting itself up to prevent, if that makes sense?
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Aug 2019, 13:25

I think Hickman and Marvel should have been more clear that this isn’t going to be like NA and Avengers in that the two series worked in tandem but still could stand alone. NEw Avengers could be read and digested (at least like 80% of it) without reading Avengers and vice-versa. But HoX and PoX are definitely codependent and so people’s expectations might be off somewhat.

Like this book fleshes things out more than moves the plot ahead, which is important. But HoX #3 is definitely going to have to move the plot more to compensate for this book spending much more time world-building.

So I can see the frustration from others.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 14 Aug 2019, 13:31

After this issue, I'm beginning to doubt Powers of 10 is set in the 616 at all. Apocalypse leading the X-Men and Magneto always knowing what happens and always in league with Charles doesn't fit. Maybe this is Moira's 6th life. Would explain why she immediately went to kill Trasks in her 7th life.

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 14 Aug 2019, 13:37

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 13:25
But HoX #3 is definitely going to have to move the plot more to compensate for this book spending much more time world-building.
If I read the reading/publication order right next week we get PoX #3 first and week after that HoX #3

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 14 Aug 2019, 13:41

Flapflop wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 13:37
Blackcyclops wrote:
But HoX #3 is definitely going to have to move the plot more to compensate for this book spending much more time world-building.
If I read the reading/publication order right next week we get PoX #3 first and week after that HoX #3
:lol: :lol:

SW442

Post by SW442 » 14 Aug 2019, 13:47

Flapflop wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 13:37
Blackcyclops wrote:
That's right. Which is why I mentioned the month-long wait. At one issue weekly it's
POX 1
HOX 2
POX 2
POX 3
Four weeks of world-building before (hopefully) getting back to the present and moving forward rather than just seeing the past, then skipping ahead to the future with only-1 page cameos of the present.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Aug 2019, 13:49

Usernamenotimportant wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 13:31
After this issue, I'm beginning to doubt Powers of 10 is set in the 616 at all. Apocalypse leading the X-Men and Magneto always knowing what happens and always in league with Charles doesn't fit. Maybe this is Moira's 6th life. Would explain why she immediately went to kill Trasks in her 7th life.
I agree PoX is probably not 616, but I think HoX is in the same timeline as PoX, and they’re both Moira X. (Powers of {Moira} X).
He/him/his

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 14 Aug 2019, 14:01

Nu-D wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 13:49
Usernamenotimportant wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 13:31
I agree PoX is probably not 616, but I think HoX is in the same timeline as PoX, and they’re both Moira X. (Powers of {Moira} X).
If so i just dont get (yet) why Marvel and Hickman want to give us only alternate timlines and future stories in this reboot/reorientation before going back into the 616 Universe. Hickman himself said upfront this wasn't a time travel, alternate time story.

That with all other evidence (timline wise last week for one) i just still think its 616 timeline but retconned that Xavier, Magneto and Moira were working together from the beginning on a big long term plan. But for that they all had to play a part and even 'die' and get resurrected without letting other people know it. Maybe we learn next week(s) even Apocalypse and Sinister were part of the conspiracy (would explain Apocy leading the X-men in the future).

But only Hickman knows the truth, so lets just wait for now where the story will go. Maybe were all wrong and something totally diffrent is unfolding still.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » 14 Aug 2019, 14:39

My working theory is that what we're seeing in Powers of X is Moira's ninth life: the Apocalypse War; probably the ending thereof. That life has, as of yet, no defined end point and its namesake certainly seems to be leading what little is left of mutant kind, after all. Ol' Pocky seems ready to go on a suicide mission for—not just "information"—but the "right" information, that it might be acted upon.

I assume he intends to give this information directly to Moira IX, that she may leverage it in her next iteration. (Thus, Powers of X informs House of X with no time travel beyond Moira's already established groundhog day abilities.) This is assumes that Apocalypse knows how Moira works in this timeline, but given that revealing her abilities seems to be her preferred method for gaining the trust of mutant figureheads (as demonstrated with Charles previously and Erik in this issue), I think this is a safe assumption.

However, if I'm right about all of the above, then there is the possibility that Apocalypse is playing a longer game. He has more or less admitted that he intends to abridge the information Moira will receive. Nominally, this is to prevent analysis paralysis on Moira's part, but he could instead be trying to set up an undisputed win for himself that Moira will unwittingly set off in House of X (which I still believe to be 616, though we may still be seeing Sinister's first chimeras rather than the X-Men).

I don't know how the Phalanx fit into all this (they may just herald the end of the Apocalypse War by just rolling over everyone, I suppose), but I love how Hickman has defined their modus operandi here. Also, though their silhouettes are somewhat distinct, I got a real Proxima Nova vibe from the Phalanx representative. Anyone else?
BODYSHOP INDUSTRIES (X-Villain Draft) : Spiral, Cameron Hodge, Ahab, Pandemic, The Isolationist, Cylla Markham, Matsu'o Tsurayaba, Sugar Man, Nanny & Orphanmaker

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 14 Aug 2019, 15:08

Remember that theory that somebody posted, how most likely part of the plan of the triumvirate has to involve them erasing some of their memories of future events, in order for them to act accordingly, so its probably not that much about them "planning" the terrorist attacks or faking their future deaths, but it is instead these events ocurring naturally untill something triggers the previous memories, presumably, right at the begining of HOX. I believe this is the likely scenario.

Regarding the issue, i too preffer HOX instead of POX, i want to know more about the current state of things. Also, its interesting that we had the theory that Xavier is manipulating everybody with Cerebro, but Magneto is shown wearing his helmet the whole time.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Aug 2019, 15:21

Do not read this issue after waking up. My mind hurts. I need about four more cups of coffee.

Saying that, I'm as confused as ever with Power of X. It's definitely the less of the two books. The further away this book gets from present day, the less interested I'm in, so all the x1000 plots just bore me. I blame this on AoX though. Maybe if we just weren't in an alternate timeline, I'd be done but I'm just kinda meh with it.

Still, the x1 part intrigues me. So is this Moira 6 or Moira X. Is 616 Moira XI?

More PoX next week and I'm hoping the release order changes because the plot is taking a big leap forward for PoX.

And I'm also hoping we still getting more X-Men in the plot.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Aug 2019, 15:32

I like the idea that PoX is Moira IX and HoX is Moira X on 616 only if Charles and Moira don’t have all this future knowledge available to them the whole time. Retconning all of 616 with future knowledge is too big a leap.
He/him/his

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 14 Aug 2019, 15:36

I'm enjoying canvasing the issues for clues and "Powers of X" seem to have lot to sink my teeth into. With that said, I understand what people are saying about the issues starting to drag. It does seem like a lot of setup and exposition for very little forward momentum. When we think about it, we're 4 issues in of a 12 issue story (or 2 out of 6 depending how you're counting) and it definitely feels like we've had out fill of setup and now need to move on to the 2nd act of the story when stuff starts happening.

As for this issue, I'm of the opinion that what we're seeing in the different time periods might not be occurring within the same timeline. I agree with Majestic that we're seeing part of Moira's 9th life (at least with regards to X^2). If you look at the files they say "ML09" which might stand for "Moira Life 9". In House of X #2, the file that talked about the events of Moira's 2nd life had the designation [Moira_L_two] which would stand for Moira Life 2 and there are other instances of files saying Moira_X which would be her 10th. Those file designations might seem filler but I think they're clues. If you pay attention to them, they hinted that Moira was a mutant in Powers of X #1 (Krakoa files have the mutant classification next to the mutant names and Moira is associated with "theta" designation). Also, the reveal that the "old man" was Apocalypse was hinted in that issue as well since the files that described Asteroid K said "APOC Build".

As of now, my theory is that X^2 and X^3 are Moira's 9th life. The timeline seemed to imply her life continued way past 100 years in that life and it might be because of some artificial means granted by Apocalypse (hence the quote "If you find it in you to survive--if you are worthy--then I will make you into something more than them. Something eternal"). Considering that Moira X knew about Rasputin and Cardinal, it implies that she lived that far into the future. In fact, she might even be Cylobel which would make the scene in Powers of X #1 more relevant (why would we care about this random mutant... unless she's Moira) and give a new horrific meaning to that scene. Cylobel (Moira) wasn't afraid to die (because she would just restart her life) but what they did was to preserve her in the wash. This would explain why we're following X^3 time period, Cylobel (Moira) is still in the wash as we've seen, becoming part of the worldmind.