Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Uncanny X-Men #9

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

Uncanny X-Men #9

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 08:17

Basically if there’s a character you’ve been looking for they’re on the splash page or you can pretend they were lol...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Flapflop

Re: Uncanny X-Men #9

Post by Flapflop » 09 Jan 2019, 10:56

Except
Spoiler: show
Havok, but he is still in jail. Also missing Cyclops, Wolverine, Magik, Hope, basically everyone from Uncanny after Dissassembled. Probably why they won't be in the Age of X-man.
Did i also miss something? Because when
did Maggot came back from the dead?
Loved it, everything is set for the Big Bang in the last issue.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 12:25

What i think happened is that between artist just liking to include him visually AND fan theory (don’t know if an editor ever confirmed it) that Maggott was alive bevause of his slug surviving, I think he has literally come back to life due to just luck lol (it happened before in the 1990s to a bad guy but I forgot who).

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 09 Jan 2019, 12:39

Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 12:25
What i think happened is that between artist just liking to include him visually AND fan theory (don’t know if an editor ever confirmed it) that Maggott was alive bevause of his slug surviving, I think he has literally come back to life due to just luck lol (it happened before in the 1990s to a bad guy but I forgot who).
The artists was send just the memo: Splash with all X-men, you may decide who
Artist: Yes, ill bring Maggot back then :lol:
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 12:54

I mean its slowly happened over the last decade...and like every interview some editor was asked about Maggott or something lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 12:55

I enjoyed the issue but at this point I think if you like this story you’ll like this issue, if not? Then this issue won’t turn it around for you. I do wish they had a better artist. I wanted that final page to have wayyyyy more impact.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 09 Jan 2019, 15:48

Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 12:55
I enjoyed the issue but at this point I think if you like this story you’ll like this issue, if not? Then this issue won’t turn it around for you. I do wish they had a better artist. I wanted that final page to have wayyyyy more impact.
It looked childishly indeed, unwowing it. They should have bring Jim Lee, Pak, one of the Kuberts, Billy Tan or Larocca to name a few who would be better.

Return of Jim Lee on X-men, thát would be something.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 09 Jan 2019, 16:13

For the $25.000 question: Maggot returned because

a) he was one of the techno-organic characters after Necrosha
b) the timeline changes during Age of Ultron
c) he came back after Secret Wars
d) Spurrier needed some wallpaper characters in Legacy

What is the correct answer, Nancy?

„You have to defeat all the X-Men“!*
* not included the other 30 or so missing characters.

By the way, is that Hellion or Thunderbird? Both have those hand gears.
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 09 Jan 2019, 16:29

Did Maggott die on-panel? I thought he was like Cecelia in that he was said to have been killed at Neverland or whatever it was called but never shown.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 09 Jan 2019, 17:04

InsipidLust wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 16:29
Did Maggott die on-panel? I thought he was like Cecelia in that he was said to have been killed at Neverland or whatever it was called but never shown.
Can’t remember every scene, but maggot was closed-in with all the other mutants in that ... chamber where they all died. Cecilia was used as a doctor or medical assistant at neverland until she fled.

Maggot resurfaced in Necrosha.
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

summerset

Post by summerset » 09 Jan 2019, 17:27

Since when does two bodies physically merge when one takes over someone else's mind?

Legion and X-Man did. And when Legion trapped the kids and Nathan in his mind, their bodies were also transported into his mind.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 18:48

summerset wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 17:27
Since when does two bodies physically merge when one takes over someone else's mind?

Legion and X-Man did. And when Legion trapped the kids and Nathan in his mind, their bodies were also transported into his mind.
Given the complexities of Legion’s mind (or how Legion used to actually “devour” living people into his mind and his physical form would sometimes change alil when usinf their powes)...Legion’s body displaying some of Nate’s (Nate being able to turn psychic energy into physical stuff adds another wrinkle into the mix) physical features isn’t so crazy...and more importantly for me, has a great visual imo.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

bamf

Post by bamf » 09 Jan 2019, 20:39

There are parts of this that are REALLY doing it for me, and then other parts...I don't know.

I feel like Jamie being portrayed as "incompetent" and "cowardly" is really counter to what I know of the character. I know writers take characters and use them to best suit the story they're telling but I really didn't care for it. Also, Anole stealing Beast's serum and putting it out in the public. Not a fan of that either.
MFL: Captain America, Iron Man, Storm, Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Iron Fist

Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 09 Jan 2019, 21:17

Flapflop wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 10:56
Except
Havok, but he is still in jail. Also missing Cyclops, Wolverine, Magik, Hope, basically everyone from Uncanny after Dissassembled. Probably why they won't be in the Age of X-man.
Did i also miss something? Because when
did Maggot came back from the dead?
Loved it, everything is set for the Big Bang in the last issue.
Maggot alongside many mutants died in Weapon X off panel.
We could guess that he didnt die then... but then we saw him in Necrosha as a dead mutant and in several other cameos... so we can wait (probably forever) for a story telling us HOW is he alive while many others who might deserve a second chance much more are still dead... (Ill always miss original Thunderbird or Firefist/Rusty Collins so infairly killed by Holocaust)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 09 Jan 2019, 21:28

Beak and Angel Salvadore also were randomly there and repowered. When did that happen?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 09 Jan 2019, 21:38

EphemeristX wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 21:28
Beak and Angel Salvadore also were randomly there and repowered. When did that happen?
Wasn’t that Sprite?

I think Beak reappeared mutated in one of those secret wars titles. After Earth 616 was recreated a few things did not change back. That’s why a few dead people also appeared again after the Multiverse came back.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 09 Jan 2019, 22:09

I thought her skin looked brown. And Beak was right there.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 09 Jan 2019, 22:26

EphemeristX wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 22:09
I thought her skin looked brown. And Beak was right there.
Oh, Beak got repowered in Blue:

„Despite having grown accustomed to his lack of powers, Barnell regained his abilities against his will as a result of the global outbreak of the power-bestowing Mothervine virus carried out by a cabal of mutant villains, including Miss Sinister and Havok.[2] He was later seen in a support group, cohosted by Kurt and Domino, for mutants coping with nonhuman appearances, lamenting he was just getting used to appearing handsome“

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 10 Jan 2019, 00:32

Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 12:55
Yeah I can't stand the art we're getting. It's just really bland and underwhelming. To the point where I can't tell if I dislike the story for the story or just because the art is turning me off so much.

Things are moving but that's about the most I can say for it. If anything it seems to move from point A to point B too quickly, like hitting all the points on the outline without properly filling in the gaps with the stuff that makes stories interesting. This whole issue feels like it sprang from the mind of a 9 year old playing with action figures. "But then X-Man took over Legion's body! And then he made Storm into a Horseman! And they fought! BUT THEN ALL THE OTHER X-MEN SHOWED UP!!! DUN DUN DUN"

Also, Anole stealing the vaccine feels out of character to me, at least at this point. But like the other X-Kids I can't say for sure.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jan 2019, 00:36

I enjoyed Armour’s hamster ball of DOOM. I genuinely actually laughed out loud.

This was an interesting issue... I definitely feel like this is becoming a “too many cooks spoil the broth” kind of book though— they really need to give this title to one writer and let them just go at it
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Jan 2019, 00:40

das_boot wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 00:36

This was an interesting issue... I definitely feel like this is becoming a “too many cooks spoil the broth” kind of book though— they really need to give this title to one writer and let them just go at it

I think the point of this specific story was a big story by multiple writers (basically like a normal X-crossover but among 1 title instead of multiple series)...
Because if you look at the run during Age of X, it’s only 1 writer on the book.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jan 2019, 12:03

Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 00:40
das_boot wrote:

I think the point of this specific story was a big story by multiple writers (basically like a normal X-crossover but among 1 title instead of multiple series)...
Oh, and I get that, it just feels a little bit, at the moment, like there’s several stories going on at once— the wrap-up of Rosenberg’s Madrox stuff, X-Man’s save the world by being weird and culty bit, and then the internal power struggle within the X-Men and their student body...
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Jan 2019, 13:23

das_boot wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 12:03
Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 00:40
das_boot wrote:

Oh, and I get that, it just feels a little bit, at the moment, like there’s several stories going on at once— the wrap-up of Rosenberg’s Madrox stuff, X-Man’s save the world by being weird and culty bit, and then the internal power struggle within the X-Men and their student body...
Yeah I kinda think the story would have been better served as a traditional crossover because then you could let each book (so say an Uncanny book, New X-Men/Young X-Men book, and say Madrox/X-Factor book) focus in on one story beat while still letting other story beats move along...like in Messiah complex or x-cutioner’s song

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jan 2019, 13:31

Exactly what I was thinking. I appreciate that they’re trying something new, and i’m still on board for it, I’m just... I dunno. It feels a little distracting to have:
-loose ends being tied up
-X-Man back and kind of psychotic
-Legion back and kind of less psychotic than usual
-A back and forth of leadership values between Kitty, Jean, Storm and oddly, Psylocke
-Old guard vs the new guard
-Alt-reality versions of several characters

I dunno. It’s just a lot. Like I said, I AM really enjoying it because the pacing isn’t massively all over the place, and we haven’t really had much decompression of story, but it’s relied heavily on bursts of expositionary dialogue that sometimes feel a bit (dare I say it), Claremontian— not in a bad way, but not in a good way either. Kind of... I dunno. It’s just what’s happening, I guess.

bamf

Post by bamf » 10 Jan 2019, 15:00

Also the..."Uh oh! They got Storm!" moment felt so shoe-horned in. I feel like writers frequently use a brainwashed Storm as a way of upping the ante.
MFL: Captain America, Iron Man, Storm, Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Iron Fist

Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin