Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Mr. and Mrs. X #4

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Magnus

Mr. and Mrs. X #4

Post by Magnus » 18 Oct 2018, 01:03

(Haven't read it yet, but here's a thread to discuss)

Anna Raven

Re: Mr. and Mrs. X #4

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Oct 2018, 01:28

I thought it was another good issue. My only complaint is a minor one, which is that the more we get to know Xandra, the more we find out she's exactly like Singularity and Kubik in personality. I think both of the above characters are fun, but they can only recycle the exact same character so many times before it gets tired, especially when they treat all these characters as disposable.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

kalibeast

Post by kalibeast » 18 Oct 2018, 02:32

This continues to be the best book Marvel puts out each month. Even in a slower issue, there are big battles and a huge, fun cast of characters to complement really nice character beats/development (Rogue wanting to figure out how to control her powers on her own terms and Gambit expressing again that he's in it for the long haul shows a greater maturity for both characters).

The art and colors are also gorgeous. I loved the double-page homage to the classic X-Men/Starjammers/Imperial Guard fight way back in Uncanny #275.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 18 Oct 2018, 03:15

It makes me miss Xavier and Lilandra :(
I still feel sorry for what happened to Lilandra in War of Kings..

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Oct 2018, 09:50

I am surprised so many like this issue since it killed off Rogue and she won't appear in comics anymore. Personally I liked it because I always like a good Starjammers appearance and also seeing the many members of the Imperial Guard in action. Some fun moments here though I will say Rogue's rationale for not fixing her powers made little sense to me, even if I do like keeping that aspect of the character.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 Oct 2018, 12:23

I get it. Rogue’s character’s all about how she mitigates a total lack of control of her powers in terms of her brash and confident personality. If someone gave her a way to control her powers, that’s great, she says as much. But the problem comes later on when/if she loses control again and has to rely on someone else to fix the problem again. It’s a false sense of control, and to Rogue, that’s worse than no control.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 19 Oct 2018, 00:03

Yeah, this was good, even if I was more confused than shocked by the cliffhanger (and of course neither character is going to be dead lol).
Anna Raven wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 01:28
My only complaint is a minor one, which is that the more we get to know Xandra, the more we find out she's exactly like Singularity and Kubik in personality. I think both of the above characters are fun, but they can only recycle the exact same character so many times before it gets tired, especially when they treat all these characters as disposable.
I was thinking the same "this character seems familiar" but forgot about Singularity; good call. Not sure what to call it... sort of pixie-ish type? The cutesy cosmic fish-out-of-water child-like.

And yeah, really digging the art.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 19 Oct 2018, 01:06

das_boot wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:23
I get it. Rogue’s character’s all about how she mitigates a total lack of control of her powers in terms of her brash and confident personality. If someone gave her a way to control her powers, that’s great, she says as much. But the problem comes later on when/if she loses control again and has to rely on someone else to fix the problem again. It’s a false sense of control, and to Rogue, that’s worse than no control.
This was my favorite moment of the book...it's the best "Rogue distilled" moment she's had since Carey was writing her...and dare I say...I like Thompson even more. Carey destroyed Rogue to build her back up (which was awesome) and now Thompson is taking her and letting her really shine, and moving Gambit forward in a way that makes him more likable and ready to advance.

Loved seeing the Starjammers and their fun descriptions. This title has it all, for me. It's fun, action packed, great art, great character development, humorous, and feels like what I really love both about comics and these characters. No real complaints from me.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Oct 2018, 02:13

Magnus wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 00:03
Yeah, this was good, even if I was more confused than shocked by the cliffhanger (and of course neither character is going to be dead lol).
Anna Raven wrote:
My only complaint is a minor one, which is that the more we get to know Xandra, the more we find out she's exactly like Singularity and Kubik in personality. I think both of the above characters are fun, but they can only recycle the exact same character so many times before it gets tired, especially when they treat all these characters as disposable.
I was thinking the same "this character seems familiar" but forgot about Singularity; good call. Not sure what to call it... sort of pixie-ish type? The cutesy cosmic fish-out-of-water child-like.
I'd just like one of them to stick around and BE a real character instead of them moving on to the next one.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Oct 2018, 02:41

Anna Raven wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 02:13
Magnus wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 00:03
Anna Raven wrote:
I'd just like one of them to stick around and BE a real character instead of them moving on to the next one.
I think Singularity was truly the only one between the two meant to be a “character” but didn’t catch on.

The other was from jump a plot device that did actual serbe a purpose and had something resembling an arc...

I doubt even the creators (or “them”...who I assume is the vague entity of corporate Marvel) connected the similarities like you did lol...prolly just kismet. I can’t picture Thompson coming up with this story and being like “yeah I’ll just skip Singularoty and create something new because reasons” lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 19 Oct 2018, 05:34

One more thing I liked... that there's been some real growth and development in Rogue and Gambit's relationship. They talk through their issues like a real couple. The whole "do you want to let her fix your powers" conversation is the type of thing that could turn sour fast but instead they handle it much more maturely.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 19 Oct 2018, 10:16

It is great that Cerice is a part of this series. A lot of writers forget that she is more or less part of the X-Men members family.

I am not so 100% fond of the art. In the first issue, where Mystique und Rogue huged, their faces looked like anime school girls and from time to time Rogues face stll looks like that.

But hey, the artist gave Rogue a skin revealing Shi'Ar costume, kuddos for that bravery nowadays.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Oct 2018, 10:44

That’s bravery tho?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger