Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Black: Mojo

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Jazzkantine

Re: X-Men Black: Mojo

Post by Jazzkantine » 16 Oct 2018, 23:02

Great, now I am the bad guy again.

I meant they added more goofy moments and comedy in this certain time period than they did before. For the sake of all-ages comics.

Sure, it also depends a lot on the writer/artist team. Kieron Gillen/Land always had a different style of writing than Gillen/Dodson (more goofy dialogues)

And it is Not really helpful when artists draw adult people like teenagers. Maybe that’s why I can’t stand Bradshaw, Adams,..

I thought this Black series will be about those villains preparing for an attack on the X-Men oder doing something important for further storylines. At least have a darker tone.

But ok, ok. I will never EVER say anything again here. And I dont want anyone to bring me cookies and hot chocolate while I sit in the backyard.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Oct 2018, 23:18

No one's calling you a bad guy Jazzkantine, and you are free to express your opinion, but if people disagree with you, they aren't bashing you, they are just disagreeing. You shouldn't take it personally. Trust me, as someone who likes Bendis who frequents this board, you need to grow thick skin lol.

For example, I really liked this, while the prevailing opinion seems to be that it was meh to bad. I guess I just enjoy fun, light hearted stories more than most. There's still plenty of Thanos-snapping grim, serious stuff in comics too, and hey I can enjoy those too.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2018, 23:26

I don’t think people were attacking you just thought that such a broad generalization didn’t really ring true. I mean you brought up WatX as an example but you could counter that with any number of zany titles from before 2000 like a Power Pack book. And that’s like dismissing all the very weighty and “dark” stuff that was also produced during that same time period. Like I said, Grant “I’m smarter than you because I said so” Morrison wrote the X-Men in the 2000s and I don’t equate him with comedy. Whereas, CC had plenty of comedic stuff in his first run (looking at you X-babies and quite a bit of the stuff in New Mutants).

Plus I never really thought jokes equals all ages, is that how others feel though? I mean Duggan’s Deadpool has alot of jokes and I wouldn’t consider it all ages like at all. Squirrel Girl? Maybe (yet still smartly written). Moon girl? Definitely but it also doesn’t have alot of jokes.

I mean most observers say comics got too dark...but we can start a thread to discuss it and you can lay out these examples. We could all be totally missing it.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 16 Oct 2018, 23:29

No, I don’t want to anymore.

If someone is looking for me, I am in the backyard with a big pack of expensive handkerchiefs. Those with vanilla aroma to dry my tears.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 17 Oct 2018, 00:30

Just for the record, I hated Aaron's run on the X-Men probably more than anybody here.

More importantly, though, people on this site disagree often. Sometimes they do it passionately.

That doesn't anyone the bad guy.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 17 Oct 2018, 00:47

Creating a more diverse cast of characters is not “politics.”

Leo

Post by Leo » 17 Oct 2018, 03:22

I'm just gonna drop in and say that I'm not a fan of WATX. And to be honest, so far I don't see the point of this Black series. Maybe it will be relevant in the future, but for now this series does read like a filler to me.
Avengers Draft: Hyperion, Invisible Woman, Manifold, Blue Marvel, Smasher, Starbrand, Abyss, Scarlet Spider

X-Draft: Cyclops, Psylocke, Colossus, Northstar, Nate Grey, Shatterstar, Cypher, Abigail Brand, Firestar, Madison Jeffries, Slipstream, Darkstar

P-90

Post by P-90 » 17 Oct 2018, 13:10

Nu-D wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 00:47
Creating a more diverse cast of characters is not “politics.”
If that's a response to me then I don't see how you came to that conclusion given what I actually posted, when I said politics that's exactly what I meant.

if not then I apologise.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 17 Oct 2018, 13:34

I think I got what you meant, P-90, but at least on the X-Men side of things... these books have pretty much always been overtly political except during the initial run in the 1960s.

I've been really gobsmacked by the "Why the politics?!" commentary directed at X-related properties (people say this about "The Gifted" constantly!) but... literally most X-Men stories in some way reference real-life politics, allegorize them, or straight up replicate them and re-adapt them through a mutant lens.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Oct 2018, 13:59

InsipidLust wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 13:34
I think I got what you meant, P-90, but at least on the X-Men side of things... these books have pretty much always been overtly political except during the initial run in the 1960s.

I've been really gobsmacked by the "Why the politics?!" commentary directed at X-related properties (people say this about "The Gifted" constantly!) but... literally most X-Men stories in some way reference real-life politics, allegorize them, or straight up replicate them and re-adapt them through a mutant lens.
Just off the dome:
Apartheid, AIDS, “ghettos”, gentrification, cultural appropriation, critiques on capitalism...and anti-bullying.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Oct 2018, 15:36

Don't forget concentration camps, eugenics, genocide, bigotry, "passing", abuse within communities/families, government/police sanctioned violence, and illegal surveillance.

Yeah, if you want superheroics without politics, you really can't pick the X-Men.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Oct 2018, 15:38

Ooooo...I’m going to start a thread about this very thing cause I kinda wanna know which stories connect to which concepts cause some of those I forgot

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Oct 2018, 15:41

Concentration Camps = Weapon X, DoFP
Eugenics = Dark X-Men
Passing = Morlocks, Nightcrawler, etc
Illegal Surveillance = Mutant Registration Act
Government Sanctioned Violence = Sentinels

genocide, bigotry, and abuse are kinda all over the place
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 17 Oct 2018, 22:31

EphemeristX wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 15:36
Don't forget concentration camps, eugenics, genocide, bigotry, "passing", abuse within communities/families, government/police sanctioned violence, and illegal surveillance.

Yeah, if you want superheroics without politics, you really can't pick the X-Men.
I think it's been painfully obvious when people say "keep politics out of comics" they really mean "keep politics I disagree with out of comics."

Comics have and always will be political. If not directly they will be used for political purpose. The Captain America "You Move" quote isn't in itself political, but it can easily be applied to political reason. My favorite "speech" is Cannonball's "Open Hand, Closed Fist" line from X-Force and it's easy to apply it. Comics and politics can't be separated. It's simply a matter of "do I agree with what they're saying?"
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...