Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Black: Mojo

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Magnus

X-Men Black: Mojo

Post by Magnus » 13 Oct 2018, 00:29

Pretty much a one-off that I doubt will have any story threads picked up on, but I did enjoy this as a heartwarming story featuring Mojo and Glob Herman. It's nice to see the latter come a long way since his Omega Gang days and take to heart some of the lessons the X-Men are teaching him at the school. There's also some nice meta jabs early on at those readers afraid of change.

Nothing new in the Apocalypse story yet, just still him devolving.

das_boot

Re: X-Men Black: Mojo

Post by das_boot » 13 Oct 2018, 00:34

I actually really enjoyed the jabs at the start of this issue, it was pretty hilarious!

The rest of this... I dunno. I don’t actually think I enjoyed this that much.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Oct 2018, 06:55

I thought it was a fun issue, I always enjoy a good Mojo storyline.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

SW442

Post by SW442 » 13 Oct 2018, 23:34

I thought this was fun. Something not to be taken too seriously. Then again, I am not too familiar with Mojo. So I couldn't say if his voice was right or not. I have heard some fans say it as a fun issue, but it wasn't the real Mojo.

I liked him & the girl together -especially when she says she's dated weirder guys. But this issue, and Magneto's issue were nice. Depending on the characters & writing, I enjoy light-hearted now & again.
Spoiler: show
Like the Xmas special coming in Dec.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 16 Oct 2018, 13:39

This issue tries to "humanize" Mojo way too much.
Mojo is an extradimensional overlord whose ethic, conscience, motto, tactics, interests... are totally alien and different from ours.
This issue is somehow funny and goofy, not really establishing Mojo as a ridiculously powerful extradimensional being but just another dude holding a grudge against the XMen...
Mojo should be funny because he shouldnt make sense and shoul come across as totally weird and unbelievable, not funny because he had a crush on a girl, and Mojo should be terrible and impredictable as he has the power to create and subdue beings like Spiral, Gog and Magog, or the Warwolves... all of them quite resourceful and powerful on their own (just remember how dangerous the warwolves were in Excalibur, or how resourceful is Spiral with her Body Shop, her magic trips and fighting...)

And the writer should not forget Mojo even put the Dr Strange in danger as he struggled to push him out of our reality years ago.

So, not really impressed here, I dont understand whats the point of this.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2018, 14:19

To critique toxic fan culture...which does effectively lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

P-90

Post by P-90 » 16 Oct 2018, 17:52

https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... 893#p64893

The poster 'Ares' far more eloquently conveys this issue than I ever could
Last edited by P-90 on 16 Oct 2018, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2018, 18:19

das_boot wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 00:34
I actually really enjoyed the jabs at the start of this issue, it was pretty hilarious!

Yeah it wasn’t that good beyond the initial jabs...which couldn’t be much more accurate lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Oct 2018, 18:31

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 18:19
das_boot wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 00:34

Yeah it wasn’t that good beyond the initial jabs...which couldn’t be much more accurate lol
I enjoy that you’ve stopped feigning surprise at agreeing with me after my really crap threat in another thread. I’ve never been more proud. 🤩
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 16 Oct 2018, 18:40

I have never seen such an unnecessarily fill-in series.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 16 Oct 2018, 19:21

Yeah, neither Mojo or Magneto were all that, and even the Apocalypse back-up is leaving me scratching my head. But we got Mystique, Juggernaut, and Emma Frost coming up and they may be better.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2018, 19:35

But can’t deny the accuracy of the shade it threw...and I can tell the nerves it touched based on the replies in that link P90 posted lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 16 Oct 2018, 20:11

Jazzkantine wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 18:40
Prelude to Schism

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Oct 2018, 20:16

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:35
But can’t deny the accuracy of the shade it threw...and I can tell the nerves it touched based on the replies in that link P90 posted lol
Reading that link made me feel like I'd stumbled into Unstable Molecule's Bizarro-verse. Even the Avatars and poster information is adjusted to the right instead of the left, lol.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 16 Oct 2018, 20:30

Wow. So, I just clicked the link. And they want to call other people snowflakes. Clearly, Mojo is being portrayed as a caricature of a certain type of fan. It's a joke. Calm down already.

If it really bugs folks that much, maybe they should be looking at themselves for why.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Oct 2018, 20:36

Magnus wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 20:11
Jazzkantine wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 18:40
Prelude to Schism
Generation Hope

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2018, 20:38

EphemeristX wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 20:30
Wow. So, I just clicked the link. And they want to call other people snowflakes. Clearly, Mojo is being portrayed as a caricature of a certain type of fan. It's a joke. Calm down already.

If it really bugs folks that much, maybe they should be looking at themselves for why.
There’s been a sense of irony of watching people who despise supposed grievance-based claims addressing them with more grievance-based claims...the lack of good faith they claim to see in others is manifested by them as well.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

P-90

Post by P-90 » 16 Oct 2018, 20:56

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 20:38
EphemeristX wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 20:30

There’s been a sense of irony of watching people who despise supposed grievance-based claims addressing them with more grievance-based claims...the lack of good faith they claim to see in others is manifested by them as well.
I posted the link specifically for the comment by 'Ares', I would genuinely like to know what in that comment was in any way 'Toxic fan culture' as you posted above, to me it seemed like a reasoned argument without any inherent malice towards anybody (I know he called out Trump bashing but I didn't take that as a comment from someone who was pro Trump, just that it's low hanging fruit)

I don't see how the majority of fans wanting the focus to be on things they deem important, such as good writing and storytelling instead of perpetual unnecessary politics to be 'toxic' nor do I disagree with that it's wrong to carry out character Assassinations of established characters (some of which have literally generations of fans) to make new character look good.

And yes while most of us can take what was written as a joke, those who have taken it seriously have every right to do so because it has an element of truth behind it, I don't believe any of us think it's acceptable for a company such as Marvel to take no responsibility for their bad decisions or to outright blame their primary audience for any and all failures.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 16 Oct 2018, 21:22

Can I say my opinion without getting bashed?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 16 Oct 2018, 21:30

*sigh*

What character assassination? You mean like how Xavier was revealed to have done bad things? Oh wait, that was back in the 70s. When Cap did? Oh yeah, sorry, 80s. Iron Man? 90s. Cyclops? 80s. Thor and Hulk started off shitheads. Spiderman? Making poor decisions since 1963.

Have you ever heard the term "Die a hero or live long enough to become the villain?" Old fiction trope. Or Man vs Himself? Yeah. One of the classic hero journeys presented in literature. Falling from grace and the redemption that comes after is one of the founding building blocks of not only superhero stories but stories since the dawn of storytelling.

Heroes screw up. They remember what it means to be a hero, usually by looking at a wide-eyed newbie. They come back stronger. Iron Man's back, yeah? And Cap. And Thor. And Hulk. Because they were always going to come back. Cyclical storytelling is also a hallmark of serial fiction.

It. Was. A. Joke.

An innocuous joke at that. A silly and weightless one-shot of a joke that will never get touched on again. But please, once again, lets use it to start a dialogue where the real fans aren't being catered to and it's the reason comics suck now.

Oh wait. Mojo just did that. Oops.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 16 Oct 2018, 21:38

I risk it:

There are still a lot of longtime X-Men readers out there who follow the series for decades. The writing was usually very serious with only the comedic characters doing the jokes. In the 2000s, the writing changed very much, adding a lot of comedy to the books.

And now this Mojo story where a wicked, ruthless and brutal enemy, turned into a lovestruck teenager, seeking advice from a living mass of goo.

For me, the X-Men turned ridiculous when Jason Aaron Rowling turned the X-Men into a Harry Potter copy.

I think this is what angers a lot of fans, taking the seriousness out of the seriousness.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 16 Oct 2018, 21:44

That, I can totally see, Jazzkantine. It was kind of a dumb story. Mojo's kind of weird and vicious but he's never really been more than a villain-of-the-week type of baddy, and his pop culture obsession is ripe for satire, though.

But I do think there's plenty of room for silly in the X-Men. I mean, we just did get out of a storyline where a worldwide pox was sterlizing mutants and killing them in droves, forcing them to relocate to Hell. Grimdark gets old too.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 16 Oct 2018, 22:23

EphemeristX wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 21:44
That, I can totally see, Jazzkantine. It was kind of a dumb story. Mojo's kind of weird and vicious but he's never really been more than a villain-of-the-week type of baddy, and his pop culture obsession is ripe for satire, though.

But I do think there's plenty of room for silly in the X-Men. I mean, we just did get out of a storyline where a worldwide pox was sterlizing mutants and killing them in droves, forcing them to relocate to Hell. Grimdark gets old too.
Agreed on that, one of the great things about comics it that the subject matter can be anything the writer wants, a silly concept like 'snake men with jet-packs and laser-guns' in one issue and then a serious political statement or even brutally harrowing in the next (though thankfully often interspersed with levity)

I think it becomes an issue for fans when it skews too far in one direction for too long. I may have stated it on here before but I'll say it anyway, politics have always had a place in comic books and probably always will but as with anything, when it's constant, when it never let's up it becomes tedious (especially when there's no attempt to involve a viewpoint different from that which the writer holds) and that's when the fans move onto something else. I believe comic books should be treated in the same way as the movie industry, first and foremost it's about entertainment and escapism and while there are serious informative documentaries, we can choose to view them when we're in the mood for such. Not picking up a title that's primarily one thing or dropping a title because you feel you've had enough of the narrative doesn't in any way mean you against or disagree with the subject, it just means you're not longer entertained by it.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2018, 22:31

Jazzkantine wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 21:38
I risk it:

There are still a lot of longtime X-Men readers out there who follow the series for decades. The writing was usually very serious with only the comedic characters doing the jokes. In the 2000s, the writing changed very much, adding a lot of comedy to the books.

And now this Mojo story where a wicked, ruthless and brutal enemy, turned into a lovestruck teenager, seeking advice from a living mass of goo.

For me, the X-Men turned ridiculous when Jason Aaron Rowling turned the X-Men into a Harry Potter copy.

I think this is what angers a lot of fans, taking the seriousness out of the seriousness.
The 2000s, like 2000-2009?...you mean the era of Grant Morrison, Decimation, then Utopia was adding alot of comedy? So we’re just going to ignore like all the stuff that was ridiculous in the 80s and Silver Age? Lol like basically anything Alan davos drew for the X-Men that wasn’t the Fury is just a tad comedic too lol

You point out WatX, which is literally the one “carefree” (wouldn’t even call it comedic” but ignore like Idk the entire decimation era, then m-pox era and just like “ease up on the jokes”? Lol cmon now I think you might be alil off. Like Fantomax shot a kid...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 16 Oct 2018, 22:37

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

What?

Mojo has always been a brutal, absurd villain and has also always been a comedic representation of television/film executives. This book may be kind of a stretch (and the writer himself said that he decided he wanted to tell a story that was risky in its absurdity), but given the character, it's not really that much of one. It is not hard to imagine that the villain whose spent his life obsessed with Psylocke of all people lmao and who made the X-Babies might contain multitudes.

The X-Men as a franchise, despite being a fairly serious story overall, has always included humor and levity... just as much as it has included romance and other soapy elements.

There are countless goofy stories like this in the X-Men's history, as well as soft, heartwarming ones, and ones of brutal violence, etc. Emotional range is one of the things that made the X-Men as a franchise so popular.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.