Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-23 #5

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
das_boot

X-23 #5

Post by das_boot » 12 Oct 2018, 12:42

Spoiler: show
Laura has Sophie in her head and has kidnapped Mindee/Irma. Lauphie concoct a plan, as Gabsme, Celeste and Phoebe head towards the X-Mansion. Lauphie sends Gabsme an illusion of Beast attacking her as a distraction and then Lauphie physically and psychically attacks Gabsme and kills Esme for good. The Cuckoos vanish and Gabby is fine. They eat cake.
This was a bit of a lacklustre finish to a story that started quite promisingly. I was really hoping that the remaining Cuckoos would stick around after this arc and become supporting cast, with their shared background of being clones. I hope this gets picked up again and I hope that the next arc improves it’s pacing somewhat. The art remains absolutely gorgeous and I really liked the redesign of the Cuckoos costumes and Laura’s new costume too, but this... I dunno. After the previous series starring Laura, she came across as quite flat and emotionless, which... I dunno. It feels like the last series is being somewhat ignored here other than the inclusion of Saint Gabrielle.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Wings

Re: X-23 #5

Post by Wings » 12 Oct 2018, 15:00

I didn't think Laura came across emotionless, it read more like cold anger to me. I didn't like her "only person in the world I like" comment in regards to Gabby. (What about Gambit, Daken, Megan Kinney, the New X-Men, Avengers Academy, Jubilee and any number of people who Laura has befriended and cared for?)

I thought Mindee was going to sacrifice herself freeing Gabby from Esme's possession and that Sophie's psychic spirit was going to inhabit Mindee's body.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Oct 2018, 19:10

Wings wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 15:00
I didn't like her "only person in the world I like" comment in regards to Gabby. (What about Gambit, Daken, Megan Kinney, the New X-Men, Avengers Academy, Jubilee and any number of people who Laura has befriended and cared for?)
Yeh that line actually made me angry. I guess it was supposed to be hyperbole, and I know sometimes people have thoughts like that in moments of frustration. I have often thought to myself, "nobody cares about me" which is a terrible lie I'm telling myself. But still, to ignore all those other friendships you mentioned, and then there's even more on top of that. Laura can play the dark and brooding loner just like Wolverine, but part of her schtick is that moreso than her father, she's learned to be more emotionally available.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2018, 19:14

I took that line as less fact and more about her feelings in that very moment about almost losing her sister.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 14 Oct 2018, 02:02

Why did Gabsme scream "Matricide" at the Beast illusion before attacking him?

To me, that was kind of strange.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Oct 2018, 04:47

Maybe it had something to do with when Esme shot Emma, but even if that's it it's pretty weird.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 16 Oct 2018, 13:31

Anna Raven wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 19:10
Wings wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 15:00
I didn't like her "only person in the world I like" comment in regards to Gabby. (What about Gambit, Daken, Megan Kinney, the New X-Men, Avengers Academy, Jubilee and any number of people who Laura has befriended and cared for?)
Yeh that line actually made me angry. I guess it was supposed to be hyperbole, and I know sometimes people have thoughts like that in moments of frustration. I have often thought to myself, "nobody cares about me" which is a terrible lie I'm telling myself. But still, to ignore all those other friendships you mentioned, and then there's even more on top of that. Laura can play the dark and brooding loner just like Wolverine, but part of her schtick is that moreso than her father, she's learned to be more emotionally available.
I thought the same, Laura has been on a development trip for years now establishing her in the Marvel Universe and becoming really close with other characters. Im sure Laura is quite fond of Julian and the new Xmen boys, she also bonded with Daken as "brothers", O5 teen Warren also was a great boyfriend supporting her and I would say she is likes Gambit, Jean, Kurt and many other Xmen she has teamed up with like Warpath or the other original teen Xmen.

Im loving this series but the end could have been delivered much better as it was too... abrupt, and left us with maybe more questions regarding Sophie and the rest of the Cuckoos than we had at the begining, but this could be a good thing as we are still interested and waiting for a follow up later on...