Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Beige #ISTHISNEARLYDONEYET

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
das_boot

X-Men Beige #ISTHISNEARLYDONEYET

Post by das_boot » 05 Sep 2018, 16:07

Spoiler: show
Storm fights the god using only her mutant powers. The other X-Men are fighting the X-cutioner and Stormcaster arrives, makes a portal to Africa and the X-Men flippantly leave the scene of a battle half-way through because Storm’s thing is more important. IRRESPONSIBLE.

Stormcaster goes back to Storm and she uses its power to defeat Uovo after his follower dude is knocked out by Rachel. Much like popular film sensation, Infinity War, the zombies dust, including Storm’s parents and Ainet who forgives Storm with her last gasp of dust breath. Storm vows to return to the village sometimes.
WHY DID THIS NEED THREE ISSUES IT COULD HAVE BEEN A DONE IN ONE.

Honestly, this is just the worst.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Flapflop

Re: X-Men Beige #ISTHISNEARLYDONEYET

Post by Flapflop » 05 Sep 2018, 16:10

Haha. We posted at the same time. Put mine here.

Seems like Guggenheim didnt have anything more (or was editorial guided) for after the wedding and still had to fill six issues (and by that a tpb).They should have ended with #30.

Blue at least still gives us a nice status quo changeing and poetic (also in text) arc of Magneto going back to his old ways, this storyline next to the Mesmero Dark Prestige we could do without.

Story is two setences: Stormcatcher fled to get some help from the other X-men, returns with them, Storm defeats Uovu but that destroys Stormcatcher. All dead are decaying
Spoiler: show
like in Infinity War
and Storm says goodbye to her parents and Aniet just before.

One issue still to come
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Sep 2018, 16:29

It worries me how similar our takes on this are. Literally almost word for word, including terrible Infinity War joke.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 05 Sep 2018, 18:13

I loved Gold, especially the story in the Negative Zone because of all the character interactions between A and B listers. Great art too.

But this Storm story is a let down. Feels like a Storm solo series that never happened because it seems every Storm series is about Africa, her family, and magic. Nothing about her being a goddess and being there for her country anymore. Art became more and more mediocre throughout the series too for me.
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

Wings

Post by Wings » 05 Sep 2018, 19:39

I know Guggenheim has leaned heavily on the classic Claremont vibe, but tbh it just makes me wish that Claremont had written this story. I kept thinking back to the story Chris did with Ororo in Uncanny after the Decimation where she fought her uncle and met her grandmother before she married T'challa, and how lacking in weight this feels in comparison. The X-Cutioner's appearance is an afterthought after Guggenheim successfully built him up as a legitimate threat( Kitty's dialogue pretty much confirms it). The mystery of the return of Stormcaster is a complete dud. No fallout on the end of the Rachel/Kurt romance, or the Bobby/Simon one night stand and how those situations are affecting the team's dynamic. (Simon is someone who could have done with a character-focused issue or arc before the end of this title.)
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 05 Sep 2018, 20:11

Would have loved to see more of Simon too. I mean his X-Costume sucks (he is supposed to create fire by himself, so no need for flamethrower equipment) but he seems to be a decent man and I feel sorry for him to be handled like cannonfodder just for a story.

I just hope Iceman isn’t becoming a boyfriend-of-the-week guy. Writers like to hook him up on dates..
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Sep 2018, 20:44

Hey not everybody is automatically into long-term things lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 05 Sep 2018, 20:48

Yeah this was boring. I literally skimmed this trying to find non-storm pages. I mean, these types of stories should appeal to me but I’m so bored here. Part of it is that none of the characters here are my favourites. I like the supporting characters more.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Sep 2018, 20:53

This is a lineup I should love but I just jumped in and was so bored by this issue too...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 05 Sep 2018, 21:27

Blackcyclops wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 20:44
Shouldn’t this be standard now that Disney, the family friendliest business in the world, is at the helm? :lol:

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 06 Sep 2018, 08:14

das_boot wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 16:29
It worries me how similar our takes on this are. Literally almost word for word, including terrible Infinity War joke.
Another example basically why this was so awful. Can only be retold with the same lines.

The Ifinity War thing has to be a editorial thing to connect it to that movie.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 06 Sep 2018, 12:55

Jazzkantine wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 21:27
Blackcyclops wrote:
Shouldn’t this be standard now that Disney, the family friendliest business in the world, is at the helm? :lol:
I’d like to see Iceman exploring his “options” now that he’s gay, but I tend to agree that leaving his and Simon’s dalliance as a one-night stand that’s never mentioned again is just awkward as hell. It doesn’t fit with the core of who Iceman is as a character. We even saw it with Judah, he fell for him HARD— that’s who he is. It’s what he does. I’m not saying that I want to see Bobby and Simon as a couple, but I WOULD like to see them at least strike a budding friendship, going forward.

Unless, of course, Simon is killed off in EXtermination, which... eh. He’s not done enough for me to care about him as a character yet so I wouldn’t be too fussed.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Wings

Post by Wings » 06 Sep 2018, 13:28

das_boot wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:55
Jazzkantine wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote:
I’d like to see Iceman exploring his “options” now that he’s gay, but I tend to agree that leaving his and Simon’s dalliance as a one-night stand that’s never mentioned again is just awkward as hell. It doesn’t fit with the core of who Iceman is as a character. We even saw it with Judah, he fell for him HARD— that’s who he is. It’s what he does. I’m not saying that I want to see Bobby and Simon as a couple, but I WOULD like to see them at least strike a budding friendship, going forward.

Unless, of course, Simon is killed off in EXtermination, which... eh. He’s not done enough for me to care about him as a character yet so I wouldn’t be too fussed.
Yeah, I'm not saying they need to end up as a couple by any means, and after Judah it makes sense that Bobby would want to continue to explore his sexuality without necessarily wanting to go beyond casual dating, but Bobby was basically made Simon's X-Men Probation Officer by Kitty, and he's the only member of the team he's had any significant interaction with. Sleeping with Simon both compromises Bobby's ability to do that job objectively and would definitely colour how they interacted with each other on some level.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Sep 2018, 13:32

See I don’t normally read this book (I don’t even know who that is), I just didnt want Bobby to feel forced to settle down like alot of people his age get pressured to do

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 06 Sep 2018, 13:56

Simon is the new Pyro, he was manipulated to fight against the X-Men but had a change of hearts and joined them. He was put into Iceman‘s team and after the not-wedding both hooked up for the night. Seems Simon wants more from Bobby but he isn’t into it.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/17/fans-are ... e-7726800/

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 06 Sep 2018, 15:41

Simon needs some actual characterization work if he's going to stick around. The team is overcrowded as it is and it looks like it's going to be pared down soon, so I don't know if that will ever happen.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Sep 2018, 13:33

EphemeristX wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 15:41
Simon needs some actual characterization work if he's going to stick around. The team is overcrowded as it is and it looks like it's going to be pared down soon, so I don't know if that will ever happen.
100%. We know his name, his powers, and that he’s gay. That doesn’t make a character.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Sep 2018, 14:28

You guys, don't worry, he'll be the new Ink in no time.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 07 Sep 2018, 14:29

So, only ever used by Guggenheim?

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 07 Sep 2018, 14:35

Yes, sadly only in Gold.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 07 Sep 2018, 16:16

Weirdly this starts out like it's trying to make some sort of "a god's power comes from the faith of their believers" scenario, arguably with the hammer coming back to Storm (because she... believes in herself? whatever) but then Uovu charges back up and they fight again anyways.

And the whole concept of Storm needing the hammer, I feel misses the point of Storm... that she was once worshipped as a goddess but learned the truth, and even went so far as to show how much of a badass she was sans powers in the Morlock tunnels. So yeah, good riddance, stupid hammer.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Sep 2018, 03:13

I refuse to read this refuse, but I did want to say I feel like this whole story will be an easily forgotten part of the X-Mythos, akin to how in the long run a lot of Milligan's stuff and the late 90's stuff has no real impact on these characters and stories going forward. I mean, I don't think new Pyro is even going to be around after Gold is done...nothing seems to indicate that. The only real storyline that will be remembered is Kitty/Piotr's non-marriage and Rogue/Gambit's actual wedding, which should never have taken place in this book in the first place.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Sep 2018, 18:18

Milkshake08 wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 03:13
The only real storyline that will be remembered is Kitty/Piotr's non-marriage and Rogue/Gambit's actual wedding, which should never have taken place in this book in the first place.
And those things really only happened because of editorial mandate. Plus, the better telling of Rogue and Gambit's wedding happened in Mr. and Mrs. X.

WonderDoug

Post by WonderDoug » 08 Sep 2018, 19:24

das_boot wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:55
Jazzkantine wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote:

I could see them killing Simon in a generic character building story for Iceman.
Queer comedian who is just getting back into comic books after almost a decade. I got a lot of catching up to and I'm excited to be back on the boards.

ev82

Post by ev82 » 08 Sep 2018, 19:48

This is probably the worst thing we've gotten since Claremont. At least Bendis had good ideas that were poorly executed. This was all bad ideas that were executed horribly.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher