Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Astonishing X-Men #14

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Post Reply
User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2706
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by das_boot » 01 Aug 2018, 20:04

Spoiler: show
Dazzler is a brunette!
And I honestly didn’t see this coming. I’m shook.
Spoiler: show
ugh. You guys suck for not biting. Banshee is NOT okay and it feels like they’re trying to make it a running joke. Warpath shows up because Kitty wanted someone to watch Alex. Alex recruits a very drunk Colossus, and Beast figures out that the Reavers have a list of targets. Forge is second on the list and he’s currently with Dazzler who’s on tour and calls out the guys for having a sausage-fest team. The team are attacked outside of the venue and they beat them, but it turns out that they’re actually ONE agents
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 1204
Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 00:54

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Magnus » 01 Aug 2018, 22:59

I continue to love half and hate half of this book.

I like the way Beast is written. I know a lot of people hate him (and for good reason) but I honestly just want to be able to pretend he's that guy I loved from the 1992 animated show. And this is close enough for my taste.

On the other hand, Colossus is written horribly out of character here. If anything it feels like you could squint and it's Hercules instead. Being a happy drunk and wanting to just hit things to blow off steam? Yeah, that's Herc. Colossus would be a sad mopey drunk, if he'd get drunk like this at all. Not to mention I can never see there being a situation where the X-Men forget about him because they "only want Colossus, not Piotr." Please.

Warpath's reason for being there works for me, and I do kinda like Banshee being out of it (assuming they actually do something about it soon and just not pal around with him completely okay with him being a zombie). But Forge should be busy making shit for Cassandra Nova.

Dazzler's hair makes me sad.

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 4321
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by EphemeristX » 02 Aug 2018, 00:51

I'm having a good time reading this. Everybody in this book is in need of some TLC, so I'm here for it.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

znop
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Feb 2014, 17:08

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by znop » 03 Aug 2018, 23:25

Didn't Havok have a silver face plate covering the left side of his face?

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17528
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Aug 2018, 00:18

znop wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 23:25
Didn't Havok have a silver face plate covering the left side of his face?
He’a been healed...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Cyke
Posts: 1173
Joined: 29 Jun 2008, 00:26
Location: The Bright Sunny South

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Cyke » 04 Aug 2018, 16:27

Hm, it's odd when the best thing that I could say about this issue was Land's art.

The comedic element throughout this entire issue felt forced in some ways, from Beast's cagey evasions over what may be happening with Sean now to everyone's reactions to Sean (apparently the new X-zombie), to Warpath's friction over having to babysit Havok (whose attitude is still bewildering).

The worst offense was Peter though (spot on Magnus about the Herc comparison!). Guggs handled this break-up better than this. At least in Gold, this was presented as two mature adults attempting to deal with the latest fallout of their long-standing romance. Yet here, Peter's response is to go on an extended bender?? Aided and abetted by perceived feelings of neglect from the rest of the team that suddenly popped up out of nowhere?? No.

The slight time disconnect between the titles is getting frustrating now. So before being a mind lackey of Cassandra, Forge was putting his considerable gifts towards being Alison's set designer? Um, okay, whatever.

It was great seeing Dazzler though, old costume and all. However, this title seems like a bit of a hot mess to me.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

znop
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Feb 2014, 17:08

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by znop » 04 Aug 2018, 17:28

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 00:18
znop wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 23:25
Didn't Havok have a silver face plate covering the left side of his face?
He’a been healed...
What?!? When? (title and issue please) And, more importantly who healed him? Elixir?

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 1204
Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 00:54

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Magnus » 04 Aug 2018, 19:55

Literally just two months ago. X-Men Blue #28. Elixir healed him as part of taking out Mothervine.

znop
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Feb 2014, 17:08

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by znop » 05 Aug 2018, 17:07

Magnus wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 19:55
Literally just two months ago. X-Men Blue #28. Elixir healed him as part of taking out Mothervine.
Thanks. I'll have to read that issue again if I read it at all :? Who is the guy with the dark grey wings on page #5?

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2706
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by das_boot » 05 Aug 2018, 19:33

I don’t think those were wings, just shoulder armour. Some random Reaver I guess.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
Mr_Mayhem
Posts: 34
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:50

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Mr_Mayhem » 07 Aug 2018, 18:29

Cyke wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 16:27
The slight time disconnect between the titles is getting frustrating now. So before being a mind lackey of Cassandra, Forge was putting his considerable gifts towards being Alison's set designer? Um, okay, whatever.
It's a bit off topic, but this is what's frustrating me about what's going on with Rachel. So she's being telepathically manipulated in Gold by Mesmero and by Cassandra Nova in Red. But I'm confused about when all of these events are supposed to be taking place.

Wasn't it established at the end of X-Men Red Annual that Cassandra Nova was manipulating Rachel and this was supposed to be the same day that Jean came back.

Obviously some time has passed between that event and when she popped up in the latest issue of Gold to scan Rachel to make sure she was free of Mesmero's influence, but failed to spot whatever Nova did to her.

It seems like no one is paying attention to what's happening in the X books from an editorial position.

And to double down, it seems just like poor writing to have the same character be manipulated in the same way across two different books. It'd be like if Jubilee was mutilated by Masque in one book and transformed by Spiral in another.
Never worry what other people think of you, because no one ever thinks of you.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17528
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Aug 2018, 20:24

Well Mesmero’s manipulation and Nova’s seem to be very different things...

Nova’s infection is meant to be subtle and apart of the larger overall story being told about Nova’s plans. It’s not as if her affecting Rachel are isolated events meant to be used in a following story outright. Plus we’ve seen that nova’s reach extends in a larger way (hence her manipulation of Storm before) and can be much less overt (so far she hasn’t acted badly). That’s a different thread and seed. Just like with the Forge thing. Forge is hanging out with Dazzler but doesn’t preclude him from being also subtly controlled by Nova in his non-fixing stage equipment time.

I see that as not an issue of editorial negligence at all. Because it’s a background thing all the while, other things are happening.

I don’t read Gold so I have no idea how deeply Mesmero is affecting her but given Guggs habits I think it’s fair to believe that the Rachel and mesmero stuff is poorly executed.

Hell, I’m giving a Taylor a no-prize for solving the reason why Rachel got owned by Mesmero in the first place: Nova’s been in the background Dr.Doom-ing it up as apart of her larger scheme.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Mr_Mayhem
Posts: 34
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:50

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Mr_Mayhem » 08 Aug 2018, 14:17

Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 20:24
Well Mesmero’s manipulation and Nova’s seem to be very different things...

Nova’s infection is meant to be subtle and apart of the larger overall story being told about Nova’s plans. It’s not as if her affecting Rachel are isolated events meant to be used in a following story outright. Plus we’ve seen that nova’s reach extends in a larger way (hence her manipulation of Storm before) and can be much less overt (so far she hasn’t acted badly). That’s a different thread and seed. Just like with the Forge thing. Forge is hanging out with Dazzler but doesn’t preclude him from being also subtly controlled by Nova in his non-fixing stage equipment time.

I see that as not an issue of editorial negligence at all. Because it’s a background thing all the while, other things are happening.
I totally get what's going on plot wise in Red, but it's just incredibly odd to have Jean be the person to scan Rachel's mind in Gold to look for psychic manipulations and not find anything. It's weird that you have the same two characters (Jean and Rachel) appearing in two different books dealing with two incredibly similar plots of Rachel being manipulated and not have them reference it at all.

Again, I understand that Cassandra's moving and scheming in the back ground, so it would have been weird if Jean had said that she didn't detect Mesmero but she did detect Cassandra because that could ruin whatever the end game is in Red. I get that.

What I don't get is why, from an editorial stand point, it was decided to have Jean be the person to scan Rachel's mind in Gold. I know Emma is gone, but with it begin such a small cameo, they could have used a Cuckoo or Psylocke to the same effect.

And the thing with Forge, to me is different. I'm fine with him being manipulated in Red and it not affecting Astonishing or being referenced. The difference being, he wasn't just scanned by the X-men's telepath supreme and given a bill of clean mental health nor should anyone expect him to be manipulated, unlike what's been happening to Rachel throughout Gold.
Never worry what other people think of you, because no one ever thinks of you.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17528
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Aug 2018, 14:39

Like I said, I don’t read Gold so i have no idea about anything (except from threads) there so your point prolly stands there...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2706
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by das_boot » 08 Aug 2018, 23:25

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the entire point of the nannite things in Red were that they were undetectable unless activated. Rachel’s yet to be activated in Red, she’s just been given the nannite, which is a technological trigger. Between Mesmero’s influenxe and Cassie’s tampering, it’s possible that Jean couldn’t read any influence because a) Cassandra hasn’t activated Rachel’s nannite yet, and b) Mesmero’s attacks and her near constant state of concussion means that Jean didn’t read anything out of the ordinary
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17528
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Aug 2018, 00:20

Yeah that’s always how I read the Nova thing...it’s very much a sleeper thing...Manchurian candidate style story
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2706
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by das_boot » 09 Aug 2018, 07:20

Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 00:20
Yeah that’s always how I read the Nova thing...it’s very much a sleeper thing...Manchurian candidate style story
Isn’t us agreeing on something a sign of the apocalypse?
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
ev82
Posts: 1914
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 14:47
Location: San Francisco

Re: Astonishing X-Men #14

Post by ev82 » 10 Aug 2018, 14:14

I think X-Men Red takes place after everything going on in Astonishing, Blue and Gold- wasn't the 1st issue of Red months after Jeans return? Also, Jeans team isnt supposed to have contact with the outside world with out their special nanite blocking uniforms. I think once B&G end the timelines will catch up to eachother.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

Post Reply