Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-23 #1

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Post Reply
User avatar
Fenix
Posts: 377
Joined: 27 Sep 2007, 00:44

X-23 #1

Post by Fenix » 12 Jul 2018, 08:43

Wow, its a great start here.
Spoiler: show
The art is very "Mike Choi" so definitely fitting Laura and Gabby, the new costume... I have been reading comments Choi made in twitter and I dont want to say what Laura should or shouldnt wear because thats subjective to every and each of us but I just dont like the costume that much as I liked her X-Force costume or the Wolverine-like grey costume (the first one was... weird).
The story is pretty engaging, the Cuckoos' new costume is amazing (best design ever for our girls!!) and we have got two resurrections here, Sophie and Esme even if it doesnt look well for Sophie so far...
Im loving it!

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2511
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: X-23 #1

Post by das_boot » 12 Jul 2018, 09:51

Something about this felt a little off to me and i’m Not sure why.

Gabby was amazing and I loved her line of “you look like a creepy choir”, and loved that the Cuckoo’s X-Men symbol was divided between all of them on their costume but... something about this just felt off. I’m willing to overlook it because it’s a #1, but I’m still not sure how I feel about this one.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
ev82
Posts: 1878
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 14:47
Location: San Francisco

Re: X-23 #1

Post by ev82 » 12 Jul 2018, 13:25

This was really good, I’ve never gotten past a first issue of any of Lauras books but I think I’ll stick with this one. Two minor irritations tho:
Mined is Irma now. This is especially important if they are resurrecting Esme and Sophie because SPICE.
I wish we had gotten an explanation on why Laura went back to the X-23 moniker.
GOTG Draft:Polaris|Gladiator|Lilandra Neramani|Medusa|Korvus|Major Victory|Hepzibah|Irani Rael (Nova Corps)|Neutron
Nemeses: The Celestials

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2511
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: X-23 #1

Post by das_boot » 12 Jul 2018, 13:34

The Cuckoos were the stand out of this issue for me, reading it back. I kind of wish they’d have a mini that’s non-Phoenix related at some point though...
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
Mr_Mayhem
Posts: 34
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:50

Re: X-23 #1

Post by Mr_Mayhem » 12 Jul 2018, 14:10

das_boot wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 13:34
The Cuckoos were the stand out of this issue for me, reading it back. I kind of wish they’d have a mini that’s non-Phoenix related at some point though...
I completely agree with you. I was so glad to see them becoming more individualistic so it sucks that they've sort of regressed if it's just for the sake of having them be creepy again. It's hard to make out, but it almost seems like they were saying that part of the reason Esme and Sophie weren't able to rejoin them was because the had become to different and that by acting the same again it would be easier to re-join them, but IDK :roll:
Never worry what other people think of you, because no one ever thinks of you.

User avatar
ev82
Posts: 1878
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 14:47
Location: San Francisco

Re: X-23 #1

Post by ev82 » 12 Jul 2018, 14:15

Mr_Mayhem wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 14:10
das_boot wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 13:34
The Cuckoos were the stand out of this issue for me, reading it back. I kind of wish they’d have a mini that’s non-Phoenix related at some point though...
I completely agree with you. I was so glad to see them becoming more individualistic so it sucks that they've sort of regressed if it's just for the sake of having them be creepy again. It's hard to make out, but it almost seems like they were saying that part of the reason Esme and Sophie weren't able to rejoin them was because the had become to different and that by acting the same again it would be easier to re-join them, but IDK :roll:
I actually HATED their individual looks and am very happy to see them back to their OG look.
GOTG Draft:Polaris|Gladiator|Lilandra Neramani|Medusa|Korvus|Major Victory|Hepzibah|Irani Rael (Nova Corps)|Neutron
Nemeses: The Celestials

User avatar
bamf
Posts: 362
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 16:52
Location: New York

Re: X-23 #1

Post by bamf » 12 Jul 2018, 14:17

Man the art in this issue is GORGEOUS.
MFL: Captain America, Iron Man, Storm, Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Iron Fist

X-Editorial: Angel, Sunspot, Monet, Karma, Colossus, Lila Cheney, Aurora, Captain Marvel, Magma, Box, Triage, Hindsight

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2511
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: X-23 #1

Post by das_boot » 12 Jul 2018, 15:44

I didn’t hate their individual looks but if they’re going to say that their powers have been waning as a response to them becoming more individual, I can see why they’d start to go back to acting as individuals— they’re still Emma’s girls and they’ll still do whatever they can to make sure they’re top of their game
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Cosmos666
Posts: 197
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 01:59

Re: X-23 #1

Post by Cosmos666 » 12 Jul 2018, 17:22

As I said once, I want Cabal to draw my life. His art is so good and distinctive and I hope that he gets to draw one of the main books with the coming relaunch. The Cuckoos' new design is magnificent and Woodard's colors really brings out the creepy factor that the Cuckoos should exude. The X-symbol in the capes as a storytelling device is great use of art specially as Cabal gives the center point of the X to Sophie who is canonically the strongest of the Cuckoos. The reversion to the uni-design doesn't bother me because I always felt the Cuckoos should show an unified front to the world and only behave individually when alone with each other like it happens in their hideout. Besides I always felt that Bendis individualized the Cuckoos because he realized he was stuck with 5 blondes in his team. I also like how in the flashback panel each of the Cuckoos has the name of a different Roman goddess in their shirts.

Story-wise the book is good. It makes the motivation both a serious problem that must be dealt with and a personal issue to Laura. The Cuckoos as antagonists and parallels to Laura is clever and makes the stakes higher since we as readers have investments in both of them. The only thing that Tamaki has to explain is the reversal to the X-23 codename.

User avatar
InsipidLust
Posts: 634
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 01:21

Re: X-23 #1

Post by InsipidLust » 12 Jul 2018, 18:23

Let me be the first to say that their "individual" turn was an absolute, predictable contrivance that I think it's good to do away with. Some blushes of individuality and tensions within the Hive Mind are much more interesting than the tired "I was once a part of a collective but now I am a very pretty separate girl" trope. Good riddance.

The tensions explored here are already more interesting than anything that's happened with the Cuckoos in maybe a decade and I'm looking forward to this book—particularly because the narrative is doing a good job, in addition to the art and this initial setup.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

User avatar
Mr_Mayhem
Posts: 34
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:50

Re: X-23 #1

Post by Mr_Mayhem » 12 Jul 2018, 19:10

InsipidLust wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 18:23
Let me be the first to say that their "individual" turn was an absolute, predictable contrivance that I think it's good to do away with. Some blushes of individuality and tensions within the Hive Mind are much more interesting than the tired "I was once a part of a collective but now I am a very pretty separate girl" trope. Good riddance.
I have to respectfully disagree with you because the way they’re portrayed here feels reductive.
Like it or not, the characters had actually started showing personality and growth as characters, but now it feels like they’re right back to where they were when they first debuted.
To me it made them more interesting as character and as a unit; to be able to be different but still understand that they’re sisters with a hive mind. I don’t think allowing them to express themselves differently took away from their character.
I know it’s early and I’m sure we’ll get a proper explanation, but right now it feels like all of their development was wiped out in order to shoe-horn them into the role of antagonist.

InsipidLust wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 18:23
The tensions explored here are already more interesting than anything that's happened with the Cuckoos in maybe a decade and I'm looking forward to this book—particularly because the narrative is doing a good job, in addition to the art and this initial setup.
I've got to disagree here too because the arguments they had in ANX when Irma first started to change and you could see that they were starting to grow was much more interesting than their squabble towards the end of the issue.

I also really just want to say that I'm not trying to argue or belittle anyone's opinion, I just disagree, but I enjoy the conversation we're having. :D
Never worry what other people think of you, because no one ever thinks of you.

User avatar
Fenix
Posts: 377
Joined: 27 Sep 2007, 00:44

Re: X-23 #1

Post by Fenix » 12 Jul 2018, 20:15

Mr_Mayhem wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 19:10
InsipidLust wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 18:23
Let me be the first to say that their "individual" turn was an absolute, predictable contrivance that I think it's good to do away with. Some blushes of individuality and tensions within the Hive Mind are much more interesting than the tired "I was once a part of a collective but now I am a very pretty separate girl" trope. Good riddance.
I have to respectfully disagree with you because the way they’re portrayed here feels reductive.
Like it or not, the characters had actually started showing personality and growth as characters, but now it feels like they’re right back to where they were when they first debuted.
To me it made them more interesting as character and as a unit; to be able to be different but still understand that they’re sisters with a hive mind. I don’t think allowing them to express themselves differently took away from their character.
I know it’s early and I’m sure we’ll get a proper explanation, but right now it feels like all of their development was wiped out in order to shoe-horn them into the role of antagonist.

InsipidLust wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 18:23
The tensions explored here are already more interesting than anything that's happened with the Cuckoos in maybe a decade and I'm looking forward to this book—particularly because the narrative is doing a good job, in addition to the art and this initial setup.
I've got to disagree here too because the arguments they had in ANX when Irma first started to change and you could see that they were starting to grow was much more interesting than their squabble towards the end of the issue.

I also really just want to say that I'm not trying to argue or belittle anyone's opinion, I just disagree, but I enjoy the conversation we're having. :D
I agree with InsipidLust as I have always seen the Cuckoos as a composite entity formed by 5/4/3 girls forming a Hive Mind.
That was exactly what made them special and different from any other telepaths around and looking alike is exactly their signature look.
Getting rid of what made them different, special... was just a weird move.

Bendis didnt have a clue of what to do with them as they were like guest stars in Uncanny Xmen.

User avatar
manuel_mc89
Posts: 790
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 03:12

Re: X-23 #1

Post by manuel_mc89 » 12 Jul 2018, 21:17

I really enjoyed this, up until the end, where I thought it just cut off.

The art was particularly good, along with the interactions with Gabby and Laura, I really like them together, it felt natural.

The Cuckoos were a nice addition, I actually didn't knew they would be there, though I gotta say, I didn't love that they have regressed to speaking in unison, I think, if they are gonna do it, it should be reserved for instances where they are working as a hive mind, using cerebro and such where they need full power.

I like Mayhem's explanation. And also, yeah, I need to know why Laura chose to go back to X-23, I think she should just go by X.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

P-90
Posts: 110
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 02:32

Re: X-23 #1

Post by P-90 » 12 Jul 2018, 22:31

Maybe she's taking back the name X-23 to own it, to change the of name she was given when created as a weapon into something good.

User avatar
kalibeast
Posts: 28
Joined: 16 Dec 2013, 22:41

Re: X-23 #1

Post by kalibeast » 12 Jul 2018, 23:07

I've wanted the 5-In-One back literally since Sophie died all those years ago. I'm going to be pissed if this resurrection doesn't stick.

User avatar
InsipidLust
Posts: 634
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 01:21

Re: X-23 #1

Post by InsipidLust » 13 Jul 2018, 00:43

Getting rid of what made the Stepford sisters different and special was a weird move, and THAT happened when writers decided that they were just three telepathic girls who could work together (which any telepath can do as far as I know). To me, they were most compelling as a unit—a collective that was greater than the sum of its parts (how their hive mind was originally described iirc)—a personality that was made whole only when they were all together.

I don’t know what was special or unique at all about them when they became individuals except that they had different (absolutely horrific) hair styles and then just spent every waking moment of their lives together. The idea that they never disagreed with each other or had flashes of individuality within their unit is an ahistorical take on the character-set anyhow, particularly since a key point of Morrison’s run IIRC is that Esme essentially conspired to wrest control of the Hivemind from Sophie to become the doninant personality therein and, when that no longer served her needs, she left—only to die shortly thereafter.

I understand, respect and appreciate those who feel different but I can’t agree that this is a bad step for the girls. Making them into three unremarkable telepaths from which little in the way of genuine standout personality traits or character arcs were extracted was what made the Cuckoos less interesting—and I think their reunification here (along with their continued disagreements about things, even though they continue to act as a unit all the same) is a return to for that makes three stand-in telepaths (do the X-Men need more?) ONE visually, thematically and verbally interesting character.

Still, I get why people feel otherwise and respect that too.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

User avatar
manuel_mc89
Posts: 790
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 03:12

Re: X-23 #1

Post by manuel_mc89 » 13 Jul 2018, 02:15

See, i agree that it is more interesting and unique to have this three-in-one character, for all the reasons you have stated, but i wonder about wht would happen when they fall in love and get married lol. Im completely serious, and that got me thinking, well, maybe i didnt "get" the charachter like you do, i saw them as this group of girls that needed their individuality for growth, you saw them just fine as they were, wich is cool and perfectly fine, and probably what Morrisson intended, a hive mind that is not something to grow out of, but the character itself.

I think ill miss them being witty and bitchy on their own, but i completely agree that having them change their appearance was unnecessary, particularly their hair.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

User avatar
Fenix
Posts: 377
Joined: 27 Sep 2007, 00:44

Re: X-23 #1

Post by Fenix » 14 Jul 2018, 19:19

Spoiler: show
I still think they are going back to the 3 in 1 because they are working in how to restore the 5 in 1 and it looked like being so different was breaking the whole sync and making Sophie and Esme coming back impossible as they need to be the 5 in 1, or something like that.
I might need to re-read it again so I get it better or maybe we will find out further details about this, they still retain their own personalities and tastes but as InsipidLust said they are "complete" when they are synched.

User avatar
Gremlin
Posts: 6880
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 16:55

Re: X-23 #1

Post by Gremlin » 18 Jul 2018, 15:24

It's not surprising the Cuckoos are being focused on again and they are returning to their semi-villainous ways. They were the breakout stars of the Gifted TV series so it was sooner or later we had a bit of synergy with that.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Post Reply