Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

X-Force #7

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Gremlin

X-Force #7

Post by Gremlin » 09 Jul 2014, 14:20

Another weird and wonderful issue.

Psylocke and Cable talk about his clone issues.
Domino is on some mission in a really weird facility. She tries to free some prisoners but is captured by someone who looks a little like Arnim Zola (any idea who this guy is? Have we seen him before or is he new?)
Meme (Hope) is bored so she decides to have cyber-sex with Fantomex thanks to the nannites in his body.
Doc Nemesis takes Marrow out to a fancy restaurant to break the news that she has about one year to live thanks to Volga's experiments.
Cable lectures the team and says they will be monitoring every possible person to track down Volga. Psylocke has issues with this.
Afterwards Cable downloads that day's memories and prepares to kill himself. But Fantomex shoots him in the head as a way of dealing with his sociopathic tendencies. He disposes of Cable's body in a shark circle.
Domino is being forced to watch Cable being killed on TV monitors. The man who captured her is watching every mutant they can for some reason.

I guess this is a downtime issue but it was jam packed with personal stuff for the characters. I like how Psylocke told Cable she wanted to have no-strings attached sex with him but then changed her mind when she realized he was messed up in the head.
Fantomex is a total nut job, this is going to end bad.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Blackcyclops

Re: X-Force #7

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jul 2014, 16:28

This is the most random x-team since the Outback team (or maybe the EOD team) and I love it..under normal circumstances this would be an alt-world/mature book but I love that it isn't. Spurrier is one if the best creative minds at Marvel.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » 09 Jul 2014, 23:12

I love this title!

I don't know however if I agree completely with the idea of everyone hooking up. On their down time (I wouldn't have thought Hope would be into Fanto...but I guess she IS a older teenage and WAS bored) and I would have thought Betsy would have too much history with. Nathan to be able to view him sexually ( was she with the xmen when he was just a baby?!)
But given her string of disasterous relationships-- I could accept her wanting something that was definitely not able to become complicated

And credit to Spurrier, yeah Fantomex is cray cray... But his solution to KILL the boss and be no.1 everyday makes some sort of F$#%ked up sense, given his predicament.

I just love this title

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Jul 2014, 01:23

Like Ciel (or was it someone else) said many years ago: they are unbelievably hot people in life or death situations all the time, they really should be having more sex LOL...

I LOVED the idea of what Fantomex is doing...that's why I said its hard to imagine that this is an actual mainstream X-book...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Ciel

Post by Ciel » 10 Jul 2014, 02:12

Blackcyclops wrote:Like Ciel (or was it someone else) said many years ago: they are unbelievably hot people in life or death situations all the time, they really should be having more sex LOL...
Technically it was a line in one of the Betrayal Games, but yeah.
Mastermind wrote:But given her string of disasterous relationships-- I could accept her wanting something that was definitely not able to become complicated
I seem to remember an interview given within the past year that somebody said that they didn't want Betsy to be known by who she's sleeping with. And then after Warren and Fantomex it's "How much did she really feel for her fake Danger Room sextoy?" and now "Well she would sleep with Cable but he has problems... meaning that if he has Betsy to look forward to as a prize if he gets better." Yeesh.

I wonder if Doug should holla back. He's old enough now.
Last edited by Ciel on 10 Jul 2014, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

Abaddon

Post by Abaddon » 10 Jul 2014, 02:15

Love the story, hate the art again :( .

I finally get good Dr. Nemesis fix and Domino is back! Unfortunately it looks like Cable might have really forgotten her....
Things don't look good for her and those solicits are starting to sound pretty ominous now.... :?

Honestly, the fact that everyone was trying to jump each others bones wasn't that far-fetched to me....Ciel was right. I will say that if Hope wasn't in the position she's in, I don't think she'd be even remotely interested in Fanto. She never struck me as the type that would be into casual sex before, but given her predicament.....I wouldn't say its completely out of character...maybe reaching a little bit, but..... ;)

Question: How mad do you think Cable is going to be when he figures out Fantomex has been in "bed" with his daughter and shooting him in the head every day?

That's gonna be a kicked ass, just sayin'
Last edited by Abaddon on 11 Jul 2014, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go."
-Oscar Wilde

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 10 Jul 2014, 03:18

Gotta say i loved the bit with Fantomex in the end, and for a moment it seemed that Neena was running from a guy they had met before, since he said something about a new look, si i assumed it was Mojo for some reason, what with the cameras and stuff.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » 10 Jul 2014, 04:55

Re: issues villian, it's obvious they didn't reveal the character, either cause it's a new character entirely ( though he did speak of domino with familial words)

I got a MODOK vibe.. But maybe it's a mutated sugar man?! The suit might cause plausible shape changes.

And the flies and the sticky references

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 10 Jul 2014, 15:38

So is this guy who has Domino new? I don't recognise him but I got the feeling that he is someone we know.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Jul 2014, 17:32

I thought maybe Sugar Man too because of his sticky comments. Plus he's a head-body with limbs attached, so I can see it.

And yeah, lump me in with the "there should be more hookups" team. I thought PAD's X-Factor Investigations had it right.

This book has been so. Good. I was a little worried at the beginning, but dude. Every month, it's like peeling back the layers from an onion.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 10 Jul 2014, 19:00

I thought it was someone we knew as well... still could be, I guess.

OK, so I tried this book again because of Domino and just... I can't. It's just so much weird for weird's sake. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. Spurrier is literally going "what is the weirdest stuff I can throw in here and get past the editors?" and that's what he goes with. The thing I hate the most is that Nemesis, Marrow, and Fantomex all talk like Spurrier. He's quickly falling into Bendis territory of all the characters having the same speech styles - in this case, overly verbose and pretentious language vs. Bendis teen girl speak.

And why the hell does Cable have to die everyday and upload into a new body? It just unnecessarily complicates the character. And the Meme/Hope thing I don't even want to get into.

I don't know what it is but I just can't get into this. I loved Spurrier's X-Club. I loved Spurrier's Legacy. This is just not it. I feel like we're breaking up because he's not who I thought he was :(
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 10 Jul 2014, 21:45

Cable has to die every day because all the ones we've seen so far have been unstable clones, the real Cable got affected by the Alexandria incident and is infected by that Vokga thing, so he stays in stasis until they can find a cure. So there's a new Cable clone walking aroundeeveryday trying to find a cure for him and particularly for Hope.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Mastermind

Post by Mastermind » 10 Jul 2014, 22:28

:-- and I find this less contrived and loopy than Legacy (which I liked still)

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 10 Jul 2014, 22:31

Yeah, a good downtime issue. I'm kinda glad that no one else knows who the villain is, I too kept getting the impression he's supposed to be someone we know (given how often he says "how can you not remember me?" etc) but I have no clue. Sugar Man might be a good guess though.

I agree that there should be more hookups... after all, they say the Olympics are basically just a huge orgy between all the athletes. Given how attractive and in-shape most of the superheroes are, combined with the rush of constant life-and-death situations, and the difficulty of having a relationship with civilians... I think it makes sense they'd be hooking up like crazy. And hey, Psylocke is trying to upgrade from Danger Room program to disposable Cable! How's that for some cross-title references. Heh. I do feel that the Hope/Fantomex mind-sex thing feels really weird though, can't see Hope as the sort of person who'd be into Fantomex, especially weirdo off-kilter Fantomex.

She's both simultaneously too young and too mature for him.
Tyler5618 wrote: The thing I hate the most is that Nemesis, Marrow, and Fantomex all talk like Spurrier. He's quickly falling into Bendis territory of all the characters having the same speech styles - in this case, overly verbose and pretentious language vs. Bendis teen girl speak.
Er... really? If anything, I think those three have pretty well-defined speech patterns. Nemesis is extremely verbose and condescending and SCIENCE! Marrow talks like an uneducated punk. Fantomex is a bit harder since he's apparently dropping the French (which feels weird... I mean, I know he was genetically grown and all that, but he's still French) but I can mark that down to his extremely messed-up mental state.

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 11 Jul 2014, 20:10

I'm stumped about the villian too, but like manuel, I was left with a Mojo impression. He spoke like someone we've seen before, and on the panel that was a close-up of his eye it looked like the lids were pulled back similar to Mojo's. Between that and the cameras, and the portal to get to him possibly implying he was in another dimension, and Spiral's Body Shop being able to explain the new form, I'd say he's my guess for now.

The money and spying for governments seems a bit detached from his usual MO, but I'm not up-to-date on what's been happening with Mojo so maybe it fits his more recent appearances. I don't know. I tried looking up the henchmen he named, Beel and Sydney the soviet, to see if I could make any connections, but those were a dead end.

Good issue, though. I've been torn on whether I liked this book or not, but I think the Cable clone thing will be interesting to see play out. Given his past experience with cloning, though, I imagine Cable had to have some issues with cloning himself. It'll be interesting to see how/if that gets addressed.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

Godfather IV

Post by Godfather IV » 12 Jul 2014, 01:14

Si Spurrier is becoming one of my favorites. In fact if I could just have Spurrier, Pak, Remender and David get the keys to the X-franchise and just run with it, I'd be perfectly satisfied. My only real knock on X-force is the inclusion of Fantomex. Seriously if there was ever a character that needs to killed and never return its definitely him

Tyler5618

Post by Tyler5618 » 14 Jul 2014, 18:56

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:The money and spying for governments seems a bit detached from his usual MO, but I'm not up-to-date on what's been happening with Mojo so maybe it fits his more recent appearances. I don't know. I tried looking up the henchmen he named, Beel and Sydney the soviet, to see if I could make any connections, but those were a dead end.
Well, Mojo was fired as the director of programming in the Uncanny Avengers annual. Maybe he got a new job working for the gov't...
"Just because something is not real doesn't mean it's not important."
~ Si Spurrier

History of Paper

Post by History of Paper » 15 Jul 2014, 07:07

This might be my favorite X-title at the moment! Some bits might seem random or plain weird, but (1) the previous issues gave me faith in Spurrier not leaving us without a proper explanation for them, and (2) these heroes are after all some of the whackiest mutants around. Fantomex dealing with his superiority issues by killing Cable every time? It's such a bizarre idea but it actually makes sense in this book.

Also, Domino! Image