Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marauders #8

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

Marauders #8

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Nov 2022, 16:52

One of the better issues of this run. Orlando isn’t a bad writer but his ideas are take’em or leave’em. If Threshold was anything else but what it is, I think this run’s entire thing would be better and better received.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Milkshake08

Re: Marauders #8

Post by Milkshake08 » 09 Nov 2022, 18:45

Agreed. After reading the last two issues, I just feel like the writing is fine but the plot and Threshold is where it's not clicking. I don't like the Threshold concept in any form and it's not getting better, and it doesn't help that the art is not to my taste and I hate their designs. But other than that it's fine.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Nov 2022, 18:53

Milkshake08 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 18:45
Agreed. After reading the last two issues, I just feel like the writing is fine but the plot and Threshold is where it's not clicking. I don't like the Threshold concept in any form and it's not getting better, and it doesn't help that the art is not to my taste and I hate their designs. But other than that it's fine.

If the Threshold was like an offshoot group of beings (or even some evolved form of The Grove) in another dimension that they’re rescuing. I’d be cool. It wouldn’t be a retcon and it wouldn’t involve a secret mutant group. In fact it would involve established continuity and I’m always one for weird worlds. It wouldn’t step on the toes of Arakko and it would have some emotionally resonance since we know Ariel and stuff.

Because I love the Theater of Pain stuff in the background. I love that the 2099 is being integrated in. I also even like how Orlando issn’t afraid to touch on weird and lesser known characters. And I just think linking Sublime and Arkea is just super smart.

He doesn’t write anyone off too. But just a new ancient mutant civilization just is a No for me and the art still isn’t my jam.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 09 Nov 2022, 19:09

I’m really confused. I could have sworn I dropped this book, yet it arrived today.

After reading this issue, I’ve remedied this.

Honestly just awful. I don’t know what this book is meant to be about but it’s just not the one.
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

Holland Oates

Post by Holland Oates » 09 Nov 2022, 20:49

das_boot wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 19:09
I’m really confused. I could have sworn I dropped this book, yet it arrived today.

After reading this issue, I’ve remedied this.

Honestly just awful. I don’t know what this book is meant to be about but it’s just not the one.
It was on my pull-list but was missing at the store for whatever reason. Maybe a higher power is telling me to cancel it.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 09 Nov 2022, 21:20

I’m probably being a little harsh on this. Maybe. Part of my huge issue with this title is that the art is JUST terrible. I also hate how the environmental suits this issue made it nearly impossible to tell which character was which other than the name on their leg… which I felt was often obscured. I dunno. It’s just… sigh. I don’t like this at all. The plot isn’t gripping, the characterisation’s all over the place, and the art is just painful

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Nov 2022, 21:29

I’d push back only on the characterization piece. I think Orlando has a pretty good grasp on who these characters are. His Bishop Feels like Bishop. His Fang and Aurora feel like actually healthy versions of two characters who’ve been damaged so much,
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 09 Nov 2022, 22:03

Bishop is great… the rest… I’d actually say that Cassandra’s the most in character out of the rest other than her being more mischievous than actually malevolent.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 09 Nov 2022, 22:11

Perhaps it's more that he's putting these characters into situations where they are sort of being forced to act a little more dumb than usual to fit the plot. I want to like Somnus, but his design is just so busy and he's being played as the young newbie, which is fine, except that makes me feel a little creeped out with all his sex talk with Aki, if only because despite the fact that I imagine he's supposed to be like 20 or something, he's acting like one of the 15 year olds and he is drawn that way too.

I do like that he's using Sublime/Arkea, but that may have been the spark of the issue for me. I don't want Heather to fall for this new bubble hat lady. I do want her to have a lady, just not that one lol.

I do enjoy Nova here, but still think sometimes Krakoa is very inconsistent and weird with how they accept some wrongdoings and not others. Maybe another issue I have here is that the resurrection protocols are my #1 issue with krakoa (very obvious in how X-Force treats it) and now I feel like this title went the X-Force direction of making it seem very silly and the queue to be ridiculous. Why should we prioritize an ancient mutant society that died out (as it was MEANT TO according to their own account, they literally didn't evolve fast enough to stop their genocide) over the apparent millions on Genosha that we are still being led to believe are just hanging out in the queue? Are you telling me that when Icarus died in X-Force, he got to jump the line? ICARUS? And now we got Cerebra, who I kinda get, and Amass getting to jump the line in this book because plot reasons. Again, that's fine, but then stop making resurrection seem so lengthy and the queue seem years long. It doesn't mesh well and makes the mutants look incompetent and elitist.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 09 Nov 2022, 22:19

Somnus is an old man in a young body. He's nearly as old as Daken.
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Nov 2022, 22:29

I assumed they took out the time to revive the 1 Thresholder since Kate asked and I could understand wanting to possibly access and talk to them given the whole mystery or why the cube was inscribed with her name to begin with. and given her relationship with Hope and everything, I can see how that happened. The Genoshans (which to be honest its just the ones we don’t have names for, anybody thats named is resurrected as long as the story requires them to be) being in queue I just doesn’t bother me because it is so many and now they got a heaven and everything.

I’m still just super annoyed by the presence of Threshold. That overrides everything for me. Which is a shame because Cassandra Nova is far more interesting here as an “ally”.

Yeah Somnus is just new to the superhero stuff but he’s like Daken’s age.
-Cly

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 09 Nov 2022, 23:03

I'm aware of who Somnus is, guys. It doesn't make it less annoying that he acts like a teenager and looks like a teenager in all ways except when I'm told he's an old man in a young man's body. If that's the case then he should act older. And his body doesn't need to look like a 15 year old if he's meant to be a romantic interest to Aki, who is at least early 20s if not older. If I suddenly woke up in a 15 year old body, I hope my husband wouldn't still be interested in banging me. This could be an art issue, but it doesn't help the character gel with me, especially since he hasn't done anything of note that makes the audience understand his personality except maybe the Progenitor issue.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 10 Nov 2022, 08:56

Yet they still havn't really explained how the Threshold can exist billions of years ago but did like the idea of Humans revering mutants in the past and Mutants feeling the same way almost for them that was a nice touch. It seems Sublime caused a lot of the conflict between the two groups but I do wonder where they are going with this.

I can't stand the artwork anymore Kate still looks like an angry Teenager. I know you virtually all hate her but even so I don't really understand what she is trying to do in the past the story makes no sense at all.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Nov 2022, 14:52

I would definitely say it’s prolly the art because Aurora is drawn to look younger here than she was in X-Factor. And Kate here even at times looks too young.

But I sympathize with Somnus and Fang here, as someone who’s married to a women who only recently stopped being carded at R-rated films lol
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Nov 2022, 16:22

@NC— hi hello, it’s mostly just me that hates Kate 😂🤷‍♂️

@BC— I’ve had issues with the art since day one. I feel like it’s a style more suited to animation than to comics, and while that’s not always a BAD thing, I really feel that it is here. For some reason it just doesn’t translate well and I couldn’t explain to you why, other than it feels like each panel is basically a freeze frame of a scene in motion, rather than “capturing the moment” if that makes sense? Probably not 😂

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Nov 2022, 16:27

It makes 100% sense. If this was an animated series (something similar to the Netflix League of Legends series) then I’d say it would be 90% better (I think the cast is generally drawn too young for my taste). Everything feels kind of static. And if this book was trying to be less bombastic and maybe settled on more standard settings, it might work better. But this book is trying to give big battles and weird locales like a Guardians of the Galaxy book and this artist is not giving my Bagley or hell even Bachalo. I’d even be happy with Mike Deodato here but this just isn’t it. And it’s a shame because the preceding annual had much better art.
-Cly

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 10 Nov 2022, 19:50

I think the art isn't fitting the tone, either. The tone is moderately serious (time travel, death, Nova of all people being on the team, Kin Crimson murdering their own monarch, Fang slicing up people) but the art makes it feel like I'm reading a title about Squirrel Girl's sidekick.

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Nov 2022, 20:40

There are good ideas in this book but they are all just executed poorly imo. I tend to agree with BC that if another angle could be found for Threshold that isn't time-travel it would have been better (though you would miss out on this intriguing origin story for Sublime and Arkea.) It just seems weird for them to sit around and be like "we can't go back in time to change things because we would erase ourselves!" while Bishop is sitting there with them. BISHOP IS SITTING THERE WITH THEM. FROM THE F#$*ING FUTURE. I mean the Thresholders have to be from the future themselves right? I don't see any other way that it makes sense. It is unfortunate the whole idea is flawed because the characters themselves are interesting.
Best Comics of Week 12

X-titles: X-treme X-Men #4 by Chris Claremont (2) and Salvador Larroca (2)
Non-X titles: Monica Rambeau Photon #4 by Eve Ewing (1) and Luca Maresca (1)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Nov 2022, 21:48

Yeah i thought about it more, if the Grove was being used and we got like an appearance from maybe a battle ravaged Ariel and we meet more “mutants” like her, you could do the same fish out water stuff but from another dimension…

I gotta think on how you’d still tie in Sublime and Arkea though
-Cly

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 16 Nov 2022, 08:02

The beginning scene with all of them in the water was so sexy.

Also, it was implied that Threshold created Arkea and Sublime........but Arkea and Sublime were "born" on another planet in another galaxy if I am remembering it right?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Nov 2022, 12:38

Sublime was definitely never said to be alien.
-Cly

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 16 Nov 2022, 13:16

My theory is threshold are refugees from either the AoA or the far future and were stranded in the past.

I think I once heard that life on Earth came from outer space in the form of Comets so its possible Sublime could be alien but then all life on Earth would be.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Nov 2022, 15:59

The book says Sublime and Akrea were created by the Thresholders. That’s the whole reason ultimatekey is asking their question.
-Cly

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 19 Nov 2022, 19:57

Good point BC, find this very hard to follow as the story is in my view poor and art so cartoony to be awful.

Still think they are from the AOA as it makes sense.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Nov 2022, 20:56

You followed it enough to make statements and draw comparisons earlier but ok lol

Why would that make more sense?
-Cly