Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Way of X #3

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

Re: Way of X #3

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Jun 2021, 17:20

XtremeOne1 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 16:54
I think it's an interesting to thing to explore....What if everything is handed to you and you do NO work for it. You get implanted with knowledge how to fight, you get implanted with languages, math skills, reading comprehension. But have no emotional connect to any of it. What becomes of a generation who has had a perfect utopia with of zero responsibilities, no parents, immortality, super powers, and teachings that say 'you are superior, you are the future'

I mean, look at real life, the kids of rich parents who get by on their money, good lucks and an instagram account. They're all sort of awful. Is the future of mutantdom a bunch of Aunt Becky's daughter and the Paul brothers?
Well except don’t forget there’s still a very real and very certain threat of extinction kinda looming outside paradise, that mutants still very much are aware of. As well as the other number of philosophical, emotional and social dangers, threats and the like they’d have to deal with or grow past before we get to this supposed danger of utopia place. We see other titles currently pushing up against these very issues right now, with any number of them we’ve failed to even think about yet.

And I mean if we’ee going off pop culture examples, Neo was downloaded kung fu and was cyber-white Jesus lol…or the number of characters along the years who’ve been given knowledge about stuff without becoming shitty people.

Knowledge of something doesn’t really equate to anything besides knowing something…you still got issues of retention, application, etc.

But if someone want to read a school book about actual class, each issue dealing with subjects like propositional phrases or chemistry or fine art, that’s cool lol…I’m not into it as Token so eloquently pointed out lol…Give me the book when they leave class and deal with the drama of growing up, learning to love, etc…

So I agree with you Xtreme and token about a growing up Krakoa book…just not a “Math 101 Krakoa” book…unless it’s done exactly like Dr. Stone!
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Jun 2021, 17:25

Holland Oates wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 17:05
Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 15:54
I’m not really here to read a whole issue of kids learning reading and math, since I do that in real life enough. So not a problem to me if it’s something we should just “off-panel” lol
Yeah that would be weird. Good thing no one has suggested that. But it's an issue that Krakoa needs to address unless they want to depend entirely on the already educated mutants. I guess that the arakkoans have done alright simply being a warrior civilization. But let's not pretend that the xmen haven't primarily operated out of a school for the majority of their career. A reference to learning something besides how to use your powers strategically is all I'd be looking for. It's bad enough that Krakoans are depicted as perpetual partiers who drop their babies off like donated clothing. Even the Fraggles didn't do that ish.
I’m not aware of anyone pretending they haven’t? I’m also aware of how those school issues were depicted (see token’s post)…and merely stated I ain’t here for a sitting in the class and learning “American” history book. If you are or are not into that kind of books, that’s cool too. I’m just not lol

Those worries you have seem to be so premature since this book literally just introduced the problem this issue, we’ve not been told one way or the other what is being taught to the kid mutants on the island, and ignoring all the non-partying the various books have shown in the very few months they’ve established their little society.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Jun 2021, 17:33

They could make a book like that. Exploring how kids are given the knowledge, now go use it. Most of the things you learn in school aren't exactly the end points. You learn to add to learn to subtract. You learn to multiply to learn to divide. School basically gives you a LEGO set and says "go build with this." I've always argued against people who complain about not learning to cook or do taxes in school that it was never the school's responsibility. The school taught you to read, write, and do math. Those three things are all you need to do just about everything in life. Anything more and there are specialities for everything.

History/Social Studies are more of "you just need to know the state of things or where they came from" so nothing really changes by implanting this knowledge. No one's life is made better knowing that in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. It's just information for you to go build on later.

Thus, there's no real fear behind "Well if you just give them the information then what?" because "then what?" is just "Do you want to know more? Go learn." I highly doubt they're implanting every Krakoan child astrophysics or aikido so I highly doubt Prodigy is concerned about his role in society. They probably have the general knowledge of a high school graduate and are given the opportunity to go learn more.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Majestic

Post by Majestic » 24 Jun 2021, 17:55

Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 17:25
Those worries you have seem to be so premature since this book literally just introduced the problem this issue, we’ve not been told one way or the other what is being taught to the kid mutants on the island, and ignoring all the non-partying the various books have shown in the very few months they’ve established their little society.
In terms of history, we’ve seen quite a bit of teaching going on. The curriculum—not surprisingly—focuses on contextualizing Krakoan culture in the history of mutantdom. What’s more, the focus tends to primarily be oral histories, imparted by those mutants who are well-positioned by time (if not by temperament) to be considered primary sources: the Artist formerly known as Apocalypse, and (mostly) Exodus.

The fact that Exodus teaches by telling his stories to younger generations directly rather than writing a book and requisitioning a chalk board is—in the context of Krakoa—inconsequential. One does not need to put their knowledge in a book that will endure after they are gone if they are immortal. It may become a logistical issue as more mutants are made, but one that can also be solved through mutant means; the aforementioned telepathic downloads for instance.

It’s been argued that learning this way robs the student of an emotional connection, but I think Krakoans would call that a limited/human perspective; after all, there are mutant abilities that control/transfer/create that connection as well, Exodus among them.

More concerning—I think—is that mutant immortality removes the distance time gives mortals to judge history without the biases that come with having been an active participant. (Different biases are applied instead, of course, but I think that’s a separate issue.) When you get right down to it, are Apocalypse and Exodus the best people to be the arbiters of what the arc of mutant history is? They were there, and from what little we’ve seen they are the ones most interested in framing the subject matter for younger mutants; is that qualification enough to teach?

Certainly Charles—still nominally a professor—seems largely disinterested in challenging this. In a way, it’s understandable. It’s one thing to challenge conclusions drawn by a text; it’s another thing entirely to challenge conclusions drawn by the immortal author with whom you have to share an island forever.

I don’t know if unpacking this merits a whole new title; I definitely think it could merit an arc in this title.
BODYSHOP INDUSTRIES (X-Villain Draft) : Spiral, Cameron Hodge, Ahab, Pandemic, The Isolationist, Cylla Markham, Matsu'o Tsurayaba, Sugar Man, Nanny & Orphanmaker

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Jun 2021, 19:53

Now that’s a story I’d read about!!!

@Token: a way of thinking about it, I forgot about. Also your response to “why didn’t school teach me…” is kind of awesome:

Holland Oates

Post by Holland Oates » 25 Jun 2021, 02:10

Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 17:25
Holland Oates wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 17:05
Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 15:54
I’m not really here to read a whole issue of kids learning reading and math, since I do that in real life enough. So not a problem to me if it’s something we should just “off-panel” lol
Yeah that would be weird. Good thing no one has suggested that. But it's an issue that Krakoa needs to address unless they want to depend entirely on the already educated mutants. I guess that the arakkoans have done alright simply being a warrior civilization. But let's not pretend that the xmen haven't primarily operated out of a school for the majority of their career. A reference to learning something besides how to use your powers strategically is all I'd be looking for. It's bad enough that Krakoans are depicted as perpetual partiers who drop their babies off like donated clothing. Even the Fraggles didn't do that ish.
I’m not aware of anyone pretending they haven’t? I’m also aware of how those school issues were depicted (see token’s post)…and merely stated I ain’t here for a sitting in the class and learning “American” history book. If you are or are not into that kind of books, that’s cool too. I’m just not lol

We've been shown that many of the youth are bored and eager to die just for the thrill of it. We have Anole, Rain Boy, and Cosmar experimenting with corpses. The rest is basically nationalistic indoctrination. I'm not asking for another title. I'd settle for a blackboard with some numbers on it.

Holland Oates

Post by Holland Oates » 25 Jun 2021, 02:13

Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 17:20
XtremeOne1 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 16:54
I think it's an interesting to thing to explore....What if everything is handed to you and you do NO work for it. You get implanted with knowledge how to fight, you get implanted with languages, math skills, reading comprehension. But have no emotional connect to any of it. What becomes of a generation who has had a perfect utopia with of zero responsibilities, no parents, immortality, super powers, and teachings that say 'you are superior, you are the future'

I mean, look at real life, the kids of rich parents who get by on their money, good lucks and an instagram account. They're all sort of awful. Is the future of mutantdom a bunch of Aunt Becky's daughter and the Paul brothers?
Well except don’t forget there’s still a very real and very certain threat of extinction kinda looming outside paradise, that mutants still very much are aware of. As well as the other number of philosophical, emotional and social dangers, threats and the like they’d have to deal with or grow past before we get to this supposed danger of utopia place. We see other titles currently pushing up against these very issues right now, with any number of them we’ve failed to even think about yet.

And I mean if we’ee going off pop culture examples, Neo was downloaded kung fu and was cyber-white Jesus lol…or the number of characters along the years who’ve been given knowledge about stuff without becoming shitty people.

Knowledge of something doesn’t really equate to anything besides knowing something…you still got issues of retention, application, etc.

But if someone want to read a school book about actual class, each issue dealing with subjects like propositional phrases or chemistry or fine art, that’s cool lol…I’m not into it as Token so eloquently pointed out lol…Give me the book when they leave class and deal with the drama of growing up, learning to love, etc…

So I agree with you Xtreme and token about a growing up Krakoa book…just not a “Math 101 Krakoa” book…unless it’s done exactly like Dr. Stone!

You're literally the only one to bring up this idea of a separate book devoted to math. :shrugs:

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 29 Jun 2021, 07:41

It is interesting that Loa cannot control her powers if she gets "excited." I wonder if that was an issue between her and Elixir?

But since Elixir can heal and modify people's bodies, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that he can repair the damages Loa has done to his body?

And I find it interesting that Loa and Mercury are (were) attracted to each other.

Loa dated Elixir and Mercury had a one-sided crush on Wither.

I remember when Elixir and Wither had their final faceoff during Necrosha and Elixir either reversed Wither's powers against him or he used his Black (Death) form on him and killed him.

By the way, doesn't Loa and Wither essentially have the same powers?

Well, Loa moreso "crumbles" matter and living things while Wither decays inorganic matter and people.

I wonder what would happen if Loa and Wither touch each other?
Last edited by ultimatekey on 29 Jun 2021, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 29 Jun 2021, 11:20

Unsure if Elixir can restore his own body though? see no evidence of this

It is very interesting which was why I thought it was strange they hadn't bothered to provide training facilities for the Mutants? they are all mostly teachers and come from a school....

Think Elixir used his Black-Death form to kill Wither his face and hands turn black

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 29 Jun 2021, 12:27

Elixir's first power manifestation was to restore his own body. His golden state is also a result of self-healing, and he had resurrected himself in the past with his powers.

There are training facilities. A Danger Room is maintained on the second Krakoa site. It was mentioned on the HoX #6 maps and specifically in the Empyre crossover issue for X-Men.

Loa essentially has Shadowcat's power except it destroys matter as she passes through it.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 29 Jun 2021, 12:38

Monolith wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 12:27
Elixir's first power manifestation was to restore his own body. His golden state is also a result of self-healing, and he had resurrected himself in the past with his powers.

There are training facilities. A Danger Room is maintained on the second Krakoa site. It was mentioned on the HoX #6 maps and specifically in the Empyre crossover issue for X-Men.

Loa essentially has Shadowcat's power except it destroys matter as she passes through it.
Wow!

That is a great way to explain her powers!

I never thought of it like that.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Jun 2021, 22:06

Also, Wither's powers work on ORGANIC matter and not inorganic. That's why he was a metal sculptor. It was also why Mercury was basically one of the few options for him. Right after M-Day happened and people started noticing the lost their powers he believed he'd lost his and ran to see Laurie, destroying her arm because his powers hadn't gone away.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jun 2021, 22:42

norwichchris wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 11:20
Unsure if Elixir can restore his own body though? see no evidence of this

It is very interesting which was why I thought it was strange they hadn't bothered to provide training facilities for the Mutants? they are all mostly teachers and come from a school....

Think Elixir used his Black-Death form to kill Wither his face and hands turn black
Isn’t the main current premise in this book been about training mutants? Lol