Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Sword #6

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Majestic

Re: Sword #6

Post by Majestic » 24 Jun 2021, 18:46

norwichchris wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 18:40
Also why would anyone on Arroko accept Storm as there leader? did she win a contest or a vote that makes no sense.
I assume she asserted authority, was challenged, probably in some appropriately dramatic single combat, and then cut her challenger’s hamstrings. Storm has a decades-long ruthless streak which she judiciously deploys; I have no trouble believing it would make her well-suited to Arrakoan life—at least more than most.

Also, she may have Apocalypse backing her up.
BODYSHOP INDUSTRIES (X-Villain Draft) : Spiral, Cameron Hodge, Ahab, Pandemic, The Isolationist, Cylla Markham, Matsu'o Tsurayaba, Sugar Man, Nanny & Orphanmaker

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Jun 2021, 18:56

Storm literally just gave a planet an atmosphere. I dare an Arraki to challenge her for leadership. She probably wouldn't even use her powers to win just to make sure they're aware of exactly who they're fucking with.

As for Storm's authority over Earth, she has none outside of that which she is willing to take. The US could tell her to kick rocks in that situation. This is where the Galactic Council was basically pointing at when Krakoa decided it wanted to be the face of Sol.

Now, there's a good chance Storm would walk into the White House, calmly explain exactly how badly the US has screwed up, and make them see the folly in holding onto an intergalactic prisoner. I think her last issue in Marauders was basically a way for readers to see her qualifications for her current role. Oh, also the entire "giving a dead planet an atmosphere" thing probably carries some weight.

Something else about this issue that really hit hard.

I feel for Steve. His quote "I just hoped we'd all look for it together" really embodies how far the X-Men have moved away from The Dream. I'm not going to get into WHY they've moved away from it. Just saying they have and that quote really makes it clear.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 24 Jun 2021, 19:33

Storm is incredibly powerful but think your all missing the point, humans have powers too and can even disable her powers with inhibiters. The USA has a legion of Superheroes ready to fight and advanced Technology that can defeat any mutant. Not to mention enough firepower to destroy the entire world multiple times over (Nukes, biological/cyber warfare). Even if she threatened to destroy the USA they would not take her orders as they can hit back harder.

Never considered her role in shaping Mars but so did Magneto, Elixir, Vulcan and Hope. Arraki are a proud warrior people who have fought to survive for generations. Hope we get to see why she was chosen although do agree she is ideally suited to the role, she is a leader of Mutantkind and think better than Magneto or Apocalypse himself.

Steve does recognise they have moved away from there dream and think the reason why. He also more importantly recognises the limitations of his own society, divided and backward I mean why haven't we colonised Mars or done anything other than send out robots and Satellites?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Jun 2021, 20:04

@token: I actually really appreciate how Ewing framed Cap. Other X-writers have a tendency to write Cap too oppositional to the X-Men like he’s the Ultimate U version, and not like w guy who at his core is the best of all of us.

Cap is like a white person who genuinely doesn’t “see race” not in a condescending way but in an idealistic way…where he in his heart thinks everyone is equal and sees the social stuff as superfluous because he judges them fairly. Ewing captures that idealism, honestly I wouldn’t mind him writing Cap next. He genuinely manages to make Cap the beacon that makes non-fans see as “oh that’s why everybody respects him”.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 24 Jun 2021, 21:20

I think this issue was one of the best in the whole Hellfire Gala, pretty relevant in many ways.
tokenBG1009 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 18:56
I feel for Steve. His quote "I just hoped we'd all look for it together" really embodies how far the X-Men have moved away from The Dream. I'm not going to get into WHY they've moved away from it. Just saying they have and that quote really makes it clear.
I thought exactly the same. Cap here expressing how idealist he still is.
Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:04
@token: I actually really appreciate how Ewing framed Cap. Other X-writers have a tendency to write Cap too oppositional to the X-Men like he’s the Ultimate U version, and not like w guy who at his core is the best of all of us.

Cap is like a white person who genuinely doesn’t “see race” not in a condescending way but in an idealistic way…where he in his heart thinks everyone is equal and sees the social stuff as superfluous because he judges them fairly. Ewing captures that idealism, honestly I wouldn’t mind him writing Cap next. He genuinely manages to make Cap the beacon that makes non-fans see as “oh that’s why everybody respects him”.
I wholeheartedly agree with you in every word!!

To me those last pages were something I have been waiting for years since Axis.
When they touched this subject in Age of Xman I was disheartened as it didn't come with any follow up (for obvious reasons) but now... now I can breathe again.
Spoiler: show
Magneto and Wanda hugging and Magneto's final statement... it gave me chills!

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 26 Jun 2021, 16:30

This eerily feels like a call back to Powers of X, when the Homo Novisima reached out to the Phalanx.

"Look at our backwater. Look what we can do. Acknowledge us."
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Jun 2021, 17:45

Blackcyclops wrote:
Maybe it’s the very limited Captain America stuff that I’ve read (and, ya boy has Marvel Unlimited, feel free to suggest things to me), I don’t feel like I’ve ever read him judging anyone fairly, but from the point of view that HIS opinion must be correct because he is MORAL. Maybe I’m wrong…

But I agree that I liked Cap here, and that’s rare for me.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 28 Jun 2021, 09:27

das_boot wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:45
Blackcyclops wrote:
Maybe it’s the very limited Captain America stuff that I’ve read (and, ya boy has Marvel Unlimited, feel free to suggest things to me), I don’t feel like I’ve ever read him judging anyone fairly, but from the point of view that HIS opinion must be correct because he is MORAL. Maybe I’m wrong…

But I agree that I liked Cap here, and that’s rare for me.
I would recommend in relation to the X-Men mainly X-Men vs Avengers where Cap confronts Cyclops about killing Xavier as the story starts with Cap being his usual Moral I'm right your wrong self then at the end acknowledge he may have been wrong and should have done more to help mutants. This then leads to Uncanny Avengers which is by far a fantastic story and tests his world view to the limit when confronted with some of what Mutants have endured over the years.

I wonder if the Phalanx will start to notice the Mutants more than the humans but the problem is they can't assimilate Mutants into there hive and if Moira's plan is to bring the Phalanx to Earth it could be to destroy them??

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jun 2021, 10:55

Why would Moira’s plan be that? We’ve had countless conversations over that and no one has ever said that, including yourself.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 29 Jun 2021, 08:59

We at present do not know what Moira's long term plans are except to ensure that Mutantkind survives and outlasts humanity?

As well as avoid assimilation by the Phalanx and a best way to do that would be to destroy them before they can try and assimilate them.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jun 2021, 10:43

And you think her plan is form Krakoa, terraform Mars (but wasn’t the terraforming Mars, Magneto’s idea?)and then lure them to Earth (ignoring all the times you’ve attributed other type of motives to Moira X) to destroy them? That would be a bold ass plan
Last edited by Blackcyclops on 29 Jun 2021, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 29 Jun 2021, 12:40

Not a bad idea, honestly. Let's take it a few steps further.

Moira knows homo novissima is an inevitability, so the only way to beat them is to get a head start and get there first. Like I mentioned earlier, SWORD's actions this issue were similar to the X^3 future's action, skipping a few steps to acquire a cosmic suitor. On the cosmic "timeline", the Librarian's people shouldn't have been appealing to the Phalanx on their stage of societal evolution. They found a cheat with Nimbus and the Nimrod tech, and so would have ascended.

The only way out of Moira's infinite time loop might be to get assimilated by the Phalanx and live forever throughout time and space in a Dominion. So if mutants can "fast forward" to Phalanx assimilation before homo novissima develop, both Moira and mutantkind would "win"...to a certain definition of "winning". Moira would possibly stop "rebooting" if her essence is saved to a Dominion instead of truly dying, and mutantkind would have proven natural evolution to be better than guided evolution.

And just like the Librarian was uncertain about assimilation as a method of survival, its reasonable to conclude other mutants might not sign on-board if they knew that was the end goal of Krakoa. So...No More Precogs. Can't give away the ending.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more this sounds like the direction Moira's heading in.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jun 2021, 12:58

I repeat: a bold ASS plan lol…especially taken to the direction of “co-opt” instead of “destroy”…

Edit:
scratch that, Monolith’s theory is more than bold: it’s fu**ing WILD and would be like the most “oh s***” thing imaginable…then again Hickman had Doom become a God after time traveling and creating a religion/myth about himself.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 29 Jun 2021, 14:54

It's got a bit of Mass Effect vibe too...And I wonder if it will lead to some sort of Civil War; the mutants who want to get assimilated vs the mutants who don't? The one thing I love about this era of X-Men is I can't predict where it will go.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jun 2021, 15:15

XtremeOne1 wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 14:54
It's got a bit of Mass Effect vibe too...And I wonder if it will lead to some sort of Civil War; the mutants who want to get assimilated vs the mutants who don't? The one thing I love about this era of X-Men is I can't predict where it will go.

Lord just please no X-Men vs Avengers lol

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 29 Jun 2021, 15:29

That’s a very bold plan indeed. I keep thinking what is Hickman’s endgame here and it does seem that the cosmic/technological aspect will be the final part of the story.

On this particular issue, I only just read it but I totally dig Storm’s entrance. Wakanda is forever the buzzkill though.

I do wonder why the Magneto and Wanda scene was in this book but it was still touching. I am thinking maybe this is a prelude to Magneto’s trial. Someone will catch them talking and hugging and attack Wanda, causing Mags to step in to protect her.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 29 Jun 2021, 15:37

Magneto has been the main connection between SWORD and the Council, so it makes sense (to me) for this to be here instead of in other places.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jun 2021, 15:45

Yeah previously I would’ve said X-Men but this book has essentially become the main place to see Magneto.

Actually, we still got 1 week left and so the impetus for the trial can still be revealed.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 29 Jun 2021, 16:39

X-Factor is the next issue according to the reading list, so I fully expect to see the incident addressed there.

SWORD started off a bit hit of miss with me, but now with the Mutants move into space it’s definitely got a clear direction.

I am loving the new direction for mutantkind but I worry that once Hickman is done the reset button will be hit and we will see the Westchester school opened and the X-Men back to being teachers. I know an obvious reckoning will happen, but I do hope Krakoa at least stays. The mutant race’s place in the cosmos is a bit up in the air for me though.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Holland Oates

Post by Holland Oates » 29 Jun 2021, 17:38

Monolith wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 12:40
Not a bad idea, honestly. Let's take it a few steps further.

Moira knows homo novissima is an inevitability, so the only way to beat them is to get a head start and get there first. Like I mentioned earlier, SWORD's actions this issue were similar to the X^3 future's action, skipping a few steps to acquire a cosmic suitor. On the cosmic "timeline", the Librarian's people shouldn't have been appealing to the Phalanx on their stage of societal evolution. They found a cheat with Nimbus and the Nimrod tech, and so would have ascended.

The only way out of Moira's infinite time loop might be to get assimilated by the Phalanx and live forever throughout time and space in a Dominion. So if mutants can "fast forward" to Phalanx assimilation before homo novissima develop, both Moira and mutantkind would "win"...to a certain definition of "winning". Moira would possibly stop "rebooting" if her essence is saved to a Dominion instead of truly dying, and mutantkind would have proven natural evolution to be better than guided evolution.

And just like the Librarian was uncertain about assimilation as a method of survival, its reasonable to conclude other mutants might not sign on-board if they knew that was the end goal of Krakoa. So...No More Precogs. Can't give away the ending.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more this sounds like the direction Moira's heading in.
Creative theory!

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 29 Jun 2021, 21:48

Monolith, what about the original premise that Phalanx can't absorb mutants? Has that since been retconned? I know the plot of Phalanx Coventant was trying to find a way to accomplish it, but I don't recall them succeeding.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jun 2021, 22:23

Jindianajonz wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 21:48
Monolith, what about the original premise that Phalanx can't absorb mutants? Has that since been retconned? I know the plot of Phalanx Coventant was trying to find a way to accomplish it, but I don't recall them succeeding.

Uh oh…Monolith??????

You blew my mind this morning…don’t fail me now!

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 29 Jun 2021, 22:29

Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 22:23
Jindianajonz wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 21:48

Uh oh…Monolith??????

You blew my mind this morning…don’t fail me now!
I mean, I'm sure Hickman can find a way to make it happen if he wants to, but I'd question how Moira could plan for it when, in the 616 universe, it's still a big unknown. It seems like a big hail Mary for something that is far from certain from the POV of the characters. Of course, it could just be as simple as Moira saying "Blah blah blah, I'm a geneticist" and handwaving it away. Or maybe the earthbound Phalanx succeeded in one of her lives.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Jun 2021, 22:33

I know a writer can make anything happen but I was curious what the theorist would say lol

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 29 Jun 2021, 22:43

Frankly, that weakness never made sense to begin with. Even Warlock, a pubescent Technarch, could assimilate mutants. You could just say those nascent Phalanx, in that particular early stage of their development on Earth, hadn't yet figured out how to assimilate mutants. But the trans-galactic Phalanx in service of the infinite Dominion shouldn't realistically have a problem with it.