Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Corp #2

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
das_boot

X-Corp #2

Post by das_boot » 16 Jun 2021, 14:44

This absolutely won’t be everyone’s cup of tea because of how much it focuses on actual business practices etc, but here we are.

The art’s great, the character beats are great, and I really enjoyed that
Spoiler: show
Mastermind
has been brought into the fold here.
Spoiler: show
Also, genuinely LOVED Monet calling out Fenris for being Nazis. She’s one of those characters that we tend to forget is Muslim and she would absolutely take great umbrage at a pair of Nazis trying to get in her business.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Blackcyclops

Re: X-Corp #2

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Jun 2021, 18:50

I really enjoyed this…

I know it’s not how everyone is feeling but I enjoy that almost similar to the OG Inferno, the HFG is the backdrop for other titles to tell their stories in an interesting way. I loved everything here…
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 17 Jun 2021, 01:56

Wow poor Neal, didn't get a special Gala design and instead had to show up in a pink business suit. He needs to regrow the goatee, even though it makes him look like Indian Tony Stark.

Mastermind comes off very differently from his appearance in Hellions (or prior ones)... very calm, collected and in control here. Not that it's a bad thing, it's actually more interesting IMO.

Leaving the island HQ completely open to any mutant using a gate is X-Force level dumb but at least Angel realizes it right away and it doesn't seem to have really bitten them in the ass. I still think Monet's acting extremely recklessly without good reason - judging from the last data page, there's only 5 spots on the board, with three taken, and one being the chairperson. So either Trinary or Madrox (most likely both) is going to get screwed out of an offered seat. Bad way to start things off...

I'd still like a better sense of exactly how X-Corp is tied into everything else (how much does it officially belong to Xavier? Krakoa?) but adding in the Fenris and St. John angles helps shape a better antagonist than random human asshole businessman Kol.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 17 Jun 2021, 08:03

I'm trying to give this title the benefit of the doubt but so far it isn't fully doing it for me. Both the "monster within" and the "filling of the board" plot beats feels a bit repetitive to me at this point. Specially since there doesn't seem to be a new angle or anything like that so far. I hope that changes because there's so much that could be done with it but I'm not seeing anything that we haven't seen in other titles that justifies a new book.

The Strucker stuff was also low hanging fruit IMHO. They're obviously unsympathetic punching bags. Of course we are against them. The storyline is setup in much the same way the objection to Betsy being Captain Britain is in Excalibur. Make bigots be the ones to oppose something and thus we discard it as invalid. I feel like it's a cop out. There's an interesting argument to be made about giving power and authority to people who aren't accountable by the laws of the land (Krakoans in Britain) just as much as there's an obvious questionable nature in the nepotism exhibited by Xavier et al when it comes to determining who gets a say in Krakoa and the obvious benefits that come with it. Instead of the Struckers, we could have had a group of "lesser" mutants whose skills make them uniquely suited for growing and distributing the drugs but are treated as worker bees at best. It would be interesting to have them question why weren't they the ones put in charge.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 17 Jun 2021, 10:39

It was nice to see Neal Sharra again and hope that Lifeguard makes an appearance as they were both very good newer characters. Personally find as _Rick_ said this title isn't doing anything for me at the moment.

However do feel that given enough time it will slowly speed up to a worthwhile conclusion with mutants dominating the corporate world and its impact on the old structure.

I'm also very glad they decided not to work with the Strucker Twins that would have been a little bit too much for me being former Nazis and Krakoa although pro-Mutant Domination isn't going down that road yet. Disagree it's setup the same was as the new Captain Britain in Excalibur as Betsy would technically have dual citizenship however how can she then be loyal to both Krakoa and Britain if there is and will be conflicts between the two?

What do you mean by Lesser Mutants? we have the Madrox duplicates who are basically cannon fodder for the most part.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Jun 2021, 13:33

Or given the world we live in today and what we in the Western world are currently experiencing…maybe, just maybe, it’s kinda nice to punch Nazis for alil bit? I don’t know…maybe it’s just the Black guy inside me talking.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 17 Jun 2021, 14:32

Blackcyclops wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 13:33
Or given the world we live in today and what we in the Western world are currently experiencing…maybe, just maybe, it’s kinda nice to punch Nazis for alil bit? I don’t know…maybe it’s just the Black guy inside me talking.
BC you need to play Wolfenstein 3D this will relieve any anger you have towards Nazis works incredibly well.

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 Jun 2021, 02:37

I have similar feelings to Rick about this title. I really want to like it because the cast is so good (fun cameos included) and the premise as well but it is off to a slow start. It needs a more interesting villain or a seeded mystery or something. I don't feel compelled to pull it off the top of the pull list pile.
Best Comics of Week 28

X-titles: Excalibur #22 by Tini Howard (3) and Marcus To (3)
Non-X titles: Extreme Carnage--Scream by Clay Chapman (1) and Chris Mooneyham (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 21 Jun 2021, 05:25

I think I agree with Cable but it's only issue #2 and think the idea is sound with Mutants and humans vying to dominate the corporate world and some humans deciding to work with some of them.

The villains need to be dramatically improved maybe some Marvel villains such as Yellowjacket or the Kingpin even added.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 30 Jun 2021, 03:18

I'll forever stick to any book that has Monet and Jamie.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 30 Jun 2021, 08:07

X-Factor investigations a very good book shame it was cancelled.

Wonder what will happen to the Fenris twins? if they will be exiled like Sabretooth?

Really do hope we get to see them interact more with the corporate villains of the MU like the Kingpin etc...