Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men #11

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

X-Men #11

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 May 2022, 11:54

I gotta say, why did it take this long for someone to think “Well Sinister had a diamond on his forehead…what kind of villain would Sinister be with a spade, club or heart on his forehead?”…cool

I liked this issue alot…
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Flapflop

Re: X-Men #11

Post by Flapflop » 11 May 2022, 13:34

Interesting plot twist. Wonder if there indeed other Sinisters with diffrent symbols around as well.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 11 May 2022, 16:59

I enjoyed this, it feels like we are finally getting traction on the various stories that have been started like the Dr Stasis mystery and the Gameworld schenanigans.
The reveal at the end was interesting. I really don’t know where they would go with it.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 May 2022, 17:30

I would love a Heart symbol good person version lol
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 11 May 2022, 18:14

Curious I wonder if this could be an entirely separate clone created without his knowledge or a stretch the original non-mutant Sinister as I recall he got his X-Gene from Thunderbird.

Either way a lot of people are going to want to have a word with him. I can see it all unravelling for him rather badly...

roguenation

Post by roguenation » 11 May 2022, 22:14

Dr Stasis does wear pants that are incredibly close in appearance to another X-Man’s pants …

Definitely intrigued to learn that perhaps Sinister’s diamond is actually a reference to playing card suits….

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 May 2022, 09:35

It bothers me that it’s taken this book 11 issues for me to care about what’s happening.

Seriously, this was really quite good. I wasn’t sure whether I was supposed to interpret Jean’s speech as her abandoning the name Marvel Girl again or not, however. An errant clone of Sinister as a somewhat villain makes sense here, and I enjoyed that reveal.

Synch continues to be my stand out for this book, although I did enjoy Lorna’s “hmmm I have a spare few minutes” scene in order to buy a dress (and honestly X-gals, you should know better that your gala looks should be a one and done and never worn again)
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 13 May 2022, 12:25

I feel for you Das, at first thought Dr Stasis and Fei-Long where the same person but clearly not. I feel the title is slowly leading to this summers big event but with small storylines for future ones as well e.g. COTV and space stuff...

I'm presuming the Sinister Clone is from before he met the X-Men and got the X-Gene from Thunderbird. As he seems to have no knowledge of them at all but is a very good geneticist.

He could be the human-Sinister that was shot by the Mutant one when Xavier/Magneto appeared to him for the first time.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 13 May 2022, 13:51

So maybe I missed the details, but does Synch now retain the powers of others for a long time after synching with someone? Was that introduced at his resurrection or a result of his years of practice in the Vault?

I remember a scene where he took Jean's powers when she was pretty far away (like Earth's orbit or something) but in this Jean and Laura were in another galaxy (or wherever Gameworld is located).
Books to be excited for:
The X-cellent, Immortal X-men, X-men Red, Knights of X, X-men XCII, She-Hulk

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 May 2022, 13:53

WorldWideWade wrote:
13 May 2022, 13:51
So maybe I missed the details, but does Synch now retain the powers of others for a long time after synching with someone? Was that introduced at his resurrection or a result of his years of practice in the Vault?

I remember a scene where he took Jean's powers when she was pretty far away (like Earth's orbit or something) but in this Jean and Laura were in another galaxy (or wherever Gameworld is located).
I believe it’s not memory but range that’s been extended.
-Cly

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 13 May 2022, 15:52

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 May 2022, 13:53
But I don't buy that explanation when the people he's borrowing his powers from are in deep space. It seems to me more like he has a time limit for those he copies. Like didn't he copy Forge's powers and use them for awhile in the first issue without being near him?

I do recall him getting Jean's powers from far away but I think she was directly above him in Earth's orbit. Plus I could see him more easily copying powers from people he is around more often.
Books to be excited for:
The X-cellent, Immortal X-men, X-men Red, Knights of X, X-men XCII, She-Hulk

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 May 2022, 16:17

Idk, Forge was on Krakoa which isn’t that far. And I thought Jean was en route to Mars? I just figured the realization was that he now had seemingly unlimited range.
-Cly

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 13 May 2022, 16:33

My impression is that the more often he copies powers from someone, the easier it becomes for him to recall them later. His Omega potential is definitely taking him in the direction of being able to recall the power sets of anyone he ever meets, without ever losing them for good. There have been a few info pages speculating about it.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 May 2022, 16:55

Oh okay…fair
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 May 2022, 18:29

WorldWideWade wrote:
13 May 2022, 15:52
Blackcyclops wrote:
But I don't buy that explanation when the people he's borrowing his powers from are in deep space. It seems to me more like he has a time limit for those he copies. Like didn't he copy Forge's powers and use them for awhile in the first issue without being near him?

I do recall him getting Jean's powers from far away but I think she was directly above him in Earth's orbit. Plus I could see him more easily copying powers from people he is around more often.
He’s been shown retaining powers before his resurrection. After Phalanx Covenant Monet takes the rest of Gen X shopping and suggests that Ev picks some clothes that will still fit him when he sheds the excess bulk he manifested from Sabretooth. I think as long as he’s been in proximity to initially synch up with them, while it’s been inconsistently written historically, it’s always been a part of his power set

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 13 May 2022, 18:34

Well to be fair he didn't last long anyway 3 years think in the original Generation X comic which in my view was really good and well written.

Don't they have a telepathic satellite in orbit that allows them to communicate across the Solar System? Synch could use it to boost his powers maybe?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 May 2022, 19:46

das_boot wrote:
13 May 2022, 18:29
WorldWideWade wrote:
13 May 2022, 15:52
Blackcyclops wrote:

He’s been shown retaining powers before his resurrection. After Phalanx Covenant Monet takes the rest of Gen X shopping and suggests that Ev picks some clothes that will still fit him when he sheds the excess bulk he manifested from Sabretooth. I think as long as he’s been in proximity to initially synch up with them, while it’s been inconsistently written historically, it’s always been a part of his power set
Going off Monolith’s post I think what’s changing is the length of retention and the range of abilities he can synch with. I don’t know if actual range is changing though now that Monolith posted.
-Cly

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 13 May 2022, 19:57

It's still being explored, so I'm not making any definitive statements about his powers here.

However, it might be similar to the old rules about telepathy, typically used with Professor Xavier. Telepaths had a certain range over which they could detect thoughts or otherwise interact psionically -- 100 miles or less, let's say. However, Xavier circumvented this limitation by forging a psychic link with his students in the X-Men and New Mutants. He created a permanent but low-level connection with their thoughts that existed wherever they went. It's been compared to staying on the line in a phone call even though your ear is away from the receiver. By reactivating these dormant psi-links, Xavier was able to detect his students' thoughts and locations across the planet, well beyond his typical range. This is also what allowed non-telepathic X-Men to "think hard" at Xavier and get him to "pick up the call". A random person outside Xavier's normal range couldn't do that.

So...same thing with Synch, but with power copying. After copying somebody's powers once, or repeatedly, his system is primed to re-upload that power set in the future, exceeding normal limitations.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 May 2022, 09:11

Oh no, I fully agree with both of you, I think there’s a definite and distinct growth in his power retention/range of mimicry than we’ve seen previously, I guess I was more reading it as a more natural growth to his power set than, say, him being able to copy non-mutant powers.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 15 May 2022, 17:00

Could the Krakoan gates be boosting his range ? If so, then the others aren't a galaxy away but just the distance towards the closest gate.
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 May 2022, 23:16

Lavettye wrote:
15 May 2022, 17:00
Could the Krakoan gates be boosting his range ? If so, then the others aren't a galaxy away but just the distance towards the closest gate.
Holy shit I haven't seen this name in a minute. Hey stranger.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya