Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-men #4

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
User avatar
Flapflop
Posts: 1432
Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 09:10
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

X-men #4

Post by Flapflop » 13 Oct 2021, 09:49

An nice inbetween psychological issue/tie in to
Spoiler: show
Death of Dr. Strange
Nigthmare is haunting the X-men but is dealt with by Jean
Ben Ulrich finds Cable's coffin empty
Feilong is training his body to withstand Cyclops beams or so it seems
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 22777
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: X-men #4

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2021, 11:51

I don’t think he’s testing himself against Cyke’s power Flap but maybe trying to mutate himself? Only because he’s bombarding himself with cosmic rays, which are different than Cyclops’ optic blast. Remember his optic blast isn’t red because of ruby quartz but is blocked by it.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4540
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: X-men #4

Post by das_boot » 13 Oct 2021, 11:54

I actually really enjoyed this issue, especially Jean’s reasoning to be voted into the X-Men. Nice. Great art, and probably the most character work we’ve had on Jean since this era began.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
norwichchris
Posts: 1037
Joined: 22 Dec 2019, 18:40

Re: X-men #4

Post by norwichchris » 13 Oct 2021, 12:41

I loved it too and hope we get to see the others reasons as to why they were chosen. Great art and made me really enjoy Jean solo action and her balancing with doing good and what the destruction the Phoenix causes.

Nightmare think could have been handled better, refuse to believe he could have been so easily beaten by Jean even if she is Telepathic.

Feilong to me looked like he was trying to modify his body for walking on Mars.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 22777
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: X-men #4

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2021, 13:01

Nightmare as an entity has power based more on perception and the like than a certain base while in our realm. Jean faced him in our world…I don’t see how her beating him sees so odd.

And really she didn’t physically kick his ass. She beat him with hope, hell she beat him the Naruto way: “Power of Friendship!” Lol #TalkNoJutsu
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Usernamenotimportant
Posts: 390
Joined: 30 May 2019, 10:46

Re: X-men #4

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 13 Oct 2021, 13:37

This was lame. Clearly just a filler issue that could be missed altogether.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 22777
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: X-men #4

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2021, 13:55

das_boot wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 11:54
I actually really enjoyed this issue, especially Jean’s reasoning to be voted into the X-Men. Nice. Great art, and probably the most character work we’ve had on Jean since this era began.

This feels like connecting Jean back to the person we saw in X-Men Red.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Fenix
Posts: 820
Joined: 27 Sep 2007, 00:44

Re: X-men #4

Post by Fenix » 13 Oct 2021, 14:22

Usernamenotimportant wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 13:37
This was lame. Clearly just a filler issue that could be missed altogether.
While this issue does not follow up the main storyline and it is a "filler" issue I think this is not lame by any means.

Jean confronting Nightmare seems correct as telepaths are meant to have certain control over their dreams and the ability to stay "alert" so Jean as the most overpowered telepath in comics feels right as she notices Nightmare manipulations during her dream and confronts him in both her psychic landscape and in the real world.
Nightmare himself is not Galactus, his power comes from fear and manipulation and Jean is beyond these manipulations.

If Jean can, really, attack Nightmare and erase him as she taunts him... it remains to be seen. But accepting her telepathy knows no limit I would say that she could find a way to trap him as Psylocke did with the Shadow King years ago.

Jean's speech and her whole reasoning during this issue is one of the most realistic and well written Jean we have had for years since Xmen Red finished, I really liked it.
And the art, no matter if Pepe is not drawing this one, is on point.

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 6187
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: X-men #4

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Oct 2021, 15:10

This felt the most "Jean" she's been since the Krakoan age began. I really appreciate some solid Jean character work that isn't about a love interest or the Phoenix.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

User avatar
Fenix
Posts: 820
Joined: 27 Sep 2007, 00:44

Re: X-men #4

Post by Fenix » 13 Oct 2021, 18:35

EphemeristX wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 15:10
This felt the most "Jean" she's been since the Krakoan age began. I really appreciate some solid Jean character work that isn't about a love interest or the Phoenix.
Totally agree!
Spoiler: show
I wish they could have gone a little further and explain why Jean has chosen the classic costume... it looks like they were about to do so with that page with Emma but it went nowhere unfortunately.
Hickman said that had an explanation but I highly doubt it will be properly addressed ever...

User avatar
Flapflop
Posts: 1432
Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 09:10
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: X-men #4

Post by Flapflop » 14 Oct 2021, 08:53

Fenix wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 18:35
EphemeristX wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 15:10
This felt the most "Jean" she's been since the Krakoan age began. I really appreciate some solid Jean character work that isn't about a love interest or the Phoenix.
Totally agree!
Spoiler: show
Hickman said that had an explanation but I highly doubt it will be properly addressed ever...
Spoiler: show
One of the theories was that the Trirumvirate had killed all the X-men just before Krakoa and gave the resurrected ones an older/tangled backup consience instead of the latest one. So Jean is the Jean before she became Phoenix, and that's why she has that costume
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4540
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: X-men #4

Post by das_boot » 14 Oct 2021, 09:37

Flapflop wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 08:53
Fenix wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 18:35
EphemeristX wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 15:10
This felt the most "Jean" she's been since the Krakoan age began. I really appreciate some solid Jean character work that isn't about a love interest or the Phoenix.
Totally agree!
Spoiler: show
Hickman said that had an explanation but I highly doubt it will be properly addressed ever...
Spoiler: show
One of the theories was that the Trirumvirate had killed all the X-men just before Krakoa and gave the resurrected ones an older/tangled backup consience instead of the latest one. So Jean is the Jean before she became Phoenix, and that's why she has that costume
Spoiler: show
I never really liked that theory anyway, but Jean references that directly here. Unless she remembers it with some level of detachment following her resurrections, it seems odd that she would bring it up here as a reason for her election.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 22777
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: X-men #4

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Oct 2021, 10:50

I hate that theory and glad people stopped bringing it up.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
manuel_mc89
Posts: 1048
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 03:12

Re: X-men #4

Post by manuel_mc89 » 14 Oct 2021, 16:15

So, what was Scott referencing when he was in his dream with Magneto and the Professor, after teen Scott says he is sorry to teen Jean, and Morrison era Scott says he is sorry to Emma, Krakoa Scott he mentions that he is sorry that this situation happened because he lied, and they tell him that he cost them everything? What lied has he told? do we know?

I think that it will be revealed in an upcoming issue that the lied he has told was that, in the Hellfire Gala, during his speech, he claimed to be prepared to protect all of mutant kind, so it plays up his insecurities. Donto know if i would love that, because i like confident, proactive Scott.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 22777
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: X-men #4

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Oct 2021, 16:16

Well to he fair, these were nightmares and nightmares don’t havr to be actual events from someone’s past.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
manuel_mc89
Posts: 1048
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 03:12

Re: X-men #4

Post by manuel_mc89 » 14 Oct 2021, 16:31

Yeah i got that, i think it delved into Scotts character well in that he feels responsible for everybody, and he feels like he has failed them. Perhaps, with both teen Jean and Emma, he was sorry that he couldnt be with them. The Krakoa one intrigues me because it mentions that lie, if there is actually one, i want to see that.

Laura's nightmare i dont totally get, not knowing, intimately, what you lived for many years its not that anxiety inducing to me, since im here in the present, and i know enough to know it wasnt great. And this implies that Synch, or someone else, has already told her that she loved him in that time.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

User avatar
Holland Oates
Posts: 398
Joined: 28 Jan 2021, 16:15

Re: X-men #4

Post by Holland Oates » 14 Oct 2021, 16:33

I'm all for Jean getting a win. But it felt too similar to her defeat of Cassandra Nova, to me. There are endless scenarios to explore with telepathy.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 22777
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: X-men #4

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Oct 2021, 16:43

manuel_mc89 wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 16:31
Yeah i got that, i think it delved into Scotts character well in that he feels responsible for everybody, and he feels like he has failed them. Perhaps, with both teen Jean and Emma, he was sorry that he couldnt be with them. The Krakoa one intrigues me because it mentions that lie, if there is actually one, i want to see that.

Laura's nightmare i dont totally get, not knowing, intimately, what you lived for many years its not that anxiety inducing to me, since im here in the present, and i know enough to know it wasnt great. And this implies that Synch, or someone else, has already told her that she loved him in that time.
I kinda got Laura’s. In the context being a Wolverine and a history of people messing with your mind/memories, not knowing something that happened to you could super heavy. Like for you, that might not be that big of a deal but for someone like Laura that’s heavy stuff. And to know you lived this life with someone and it’s gone, again for her that would be heavy.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
norwichchris
Posts: 1037
Joined: 22 Dec 2019, 18:40

Re: X-men #4

Post by norwichchris » 14 Oct 2021, 21:16

Did wonder if they had been killed before HOX/POX by Moira possibly then blaming humanity to get the ball rolling with Xavier/Magneto.

This is unlikely so it could be due to the resurrection process affecting her more as she is a telepathic and she wanted a part of her more innocent past back. Before Her death, Cassandra, dark Phoenix and maybe remember when it as all new and exciting.

User avatar
medium13
Posts: 1157
Joined: 08 Apr 2007, 21:42

Re: X-men #4

Post by medium13 » 15 Oct 2021, 20:08

Overall, I liked this issue although it is a bit of a throw away, contained story. In particular, I love the cover as it is such a great homage to a classic image. The plot itself is ok, although I don't think it's particularly inspired. I don't have much background with Nightmare, except for some of his brief appearances in X-Men prior to this and I have no issue with Jean being able to defeat him in a single issue. In fact, it is fun to see her assert herself and be the force she should be.

However, I did find her reasoning to be on this team lacking. It falls a little flat to me as a redemption motive. Yes, she and Phoenix are intertwined. Jean is Phoenix but Phoenix is not Jean, and all that but I'd preferred they set out a reasoning that looks to the future and not the past, especially one that is messy at times. The writers and artists also seem intent on making Jean and Scott as steamy as Emma and Scott once were.

I'm also curious what the lie Scott dreamt about referred to. I hope it's an upcoming revelation or some "words from the future." It's the best dangler from this issue, in my opinion.

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 1818
Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 00:54

Re: X-men #4

Post by Magnus » 18 Oct 2021, 14:42

This was ok. I liked that Jean got some time to shine, as well as the update on Laura and how she feels conflicted over her missing memories from the Vault. And the overall plot does tie in nicely with the X-Men's remit as protecting everyone, not just Krakoa. But, felt like they could've done more, as the rest of it did feel a bit stretched out and filler-y.

I was very disappointed we did not get a headless horseman Cyclops because that cover is dope as fuck. (And it was nice, especially in all these days of pandemic-related delays, that this actually delivered in mid-October!)

Is Nathan's grave at the end the one they dug up with Deadpool to get his arm?

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 22777
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: X-men #4

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Oct 2021, 14:53

I 100% wanted a headless horsemen Cyclops…easily one of the best cover ideas in years
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 6737
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: X-men #4

Post by tokenBG1009 » 18 Oct 2021, 15:30

Blackcyclops wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 14:53
I 100% wanted a headless horsemen Cyclops…easily one of the best cover ideas in years
Finally got around to this and it was the first thing I wanted upon seeing the cover. Give me that as a figurine please.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
norwichchris
Posts: 1037
Joined: 22 Dec 2019, 18:40

Re: X-men #4

Post by norwichchris » 21 Oct 2021, 09:10

tokenBG1009 wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 15:30
Blackcyclops wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 14:53
I 100% wanted a headless horsemen Cyclops…easily one of the best cover ideas in years
Finally got around to this and it was the first thing I wanted upon seeing the cover. Give me that as a figurine please.
But then he wouldn't be a Cyclops......

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4540
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: X-men #4

Post by das_boot » 21 Oct 2021, 13:34

I mean… he isn’t anyway. He still has two eyes 🤷‍♂️
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Post Reply