Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Planet Sized X-Men #1

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Lavettye

Re: Planet Sized X-Men #1

Post by Lavettye » 19 Jun 2021, 10:32

norwichchris wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 09:34
Wonder if Orchis could pull of the same feat with Venus be a bit easier they only need to rapidly cool down the planet and create an artificial moon for stabilisation.
Sure, let's just rapidly cool down a planet that currently has a surface temperature of 464 °C / 867 °F, and then make sure that it doesn't heat back up by.... switching off the sun ? Not to mention sulfuric clouds and a high atmospheric pressure that equals the conditions of being 900 m under water on Earth.

But even if they had the power and technology to deal with all that... for the love of god, WHY ? Why would Orchis want to colonize an uninhabitable planet when their goal is to destroy mutants?
[PL_2.0]

grief

Post by grief » 19 Jun 2021, 22:35

Blackcyclops wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 17:28
Milkshake08 wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 17:00
This wasn't Hickman's book, it was Gerry Duggan's. Hickman isn't the only person with ideas, y'all :lol:

Keep it quiet, they won’t likeit if it’s by Duggan lol
Thankfully I didn't like this from the jump - so thank you both for restoring some part of my faith in Hickman's writing abilities and continuing to confirm that I don't like Duggan's writing.
My podcast, Comic Book Breakdown, updates Thursdays at https://comicbookbreakdown.libsyn.com/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Jun 2021, 05:18

Hickman’s writing ability isn’t just so much better than Duggan’s in my mind but I’m sure it’s just me and Token on that boat.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 20 Jun 2021, 12:09

Lavettye wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 10:32
norwichchris wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 09:34
Wonder if Orchis could pull of the same feat with Venus be a bit easier they only need to rapidly cool down the planet and create an artificial moon for stabilisation.
Sure, let's just rapidly cool down a planet that currently has a surface temperature of 464 °C / 867 °F, and then make sure that it doesn't heat back up by.... switching off the sun ? Not to mention sulfuric clouds and a high atmospheric pressure that equals the conditions of being 900 m under water on Earth.

But even if they had the power and technology to deal with all that... for the love of god, WHY ? Why would Orchis want to colonize an uninhabitable planet when their goal is to destroy mutants?
Funnily enough Venus like Mars had an earth-like environment 1 billion years ago and is roughly the same size as Earth however is nearer to the Sun and is weirdly the hottest planet in the solar system? It also has liquid water under its surface in the form of Ice Volcanoes. it's not ridiculous to assume we could not terraform Venus like Mars which is half the size of Earth, farther away from the Sun and has 4x the amount of radiation bombarding it's surface. Also Mars has planetwide sand-storms that cover the entire world so good luck landing or even living there.

I don't actually think Orchis will terraform Venus but may want to as a secondary home to build Sentinels/mine resources and as propaganda to outdo the Mutants like in the Cold-war Space race. Also I did really like the fact that Orchis are living in cloud-cities on Venus rather than on the surface and see in the future becoming a major threat to both groups of Mutants.

I will give Duggan credit he did do an awful lot of research into the topic of terraforming Mars even if it is somewhat ridiculous.

I do personally feel that this is all leading up to a major conflict between humans/mutants as no one on Earth is going to tolerate any nation laying so bold a claim to Mars or as regent of the Solar System.

Also loved the statue of Apocalypse and his wife a nice touch and think also will lead to future stories.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Jun 2021, 21:28

Venus is basically a non-factor when it comes to being habitable within the next thousand years without some extreme jumps in technology. Yes, it was once earth-like, but Mars is much MUCH closer to being habitable at this time than Venus is. The Day/Night cycle on Venus is so extreme it's a problem all by itself.
Blackcyclops wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 05:18
Hickman’s writing ability isn’t just so much better than Duggan’s in my mind but I’m sure it’s just me and Token on that boat.
Word.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 21 Jun 2021, 14:18

Venus is a strange world to be honest think something must have hit it like a moon as it rotates in the opposite direction to every other planet very weird but you can live on the clouds of Venus much like Cloud City in Star Wars Empire Strikes Back.

I don't really like Duggan or Hickman's writing feel they spend most of the time sowing the seeds for future stories and the far future of Mutantkind and the MU. Rather than have stories based on current events and what is happening now in the X- Books. They are incredibly thought out though with research clearly being done on the topics being written about.

It also seems to be setting up future conflicts with the rest of the MU.

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 21 Jun 2021, 15:42

I think Hickman was given a set period of time to tell his story, and he's using it to his advantage. A lot of writers don't have this luxury, and are forced to hit the ground running with their plots to immediately draw in readers, or face cancellation.

I thought it'd be interesting to compare where Hickman is now against other X-writers with long runs. Hickman is 21 issues into his X-men run. At this point:

The original silver age (Lee/Thomas) run had already introduced it's classic villains (Brotherhood, Juggernaut, Sentinels) and was starting to run out of steam- it's all aliens and robots for the next few years

Claremont had introduced a new team, killed Thunderbird, sent the X-men into space to repair the M'Kraan crystal, and was starting to reintroduce Magneto to the team at the 20 issue mark. Out of everything he'd done, only the M'Kraan crystal felt like a culmination of narrative instead of an introduction to be followed up on.

Lobdell wrapped up the most storylines out of the authors I considered, having overseen the entirety of the Mikhael Rasputin arc, the X-Cutioners Song, and Fatal Attractions during his first 20 issues. He also had an advantage in that his predecessors (Claremont, Lee, and Liefeld) had already set up the foundations for X-Cutioners Song and Fatal Attractions before they left, so Lobdell was able to play cleanup. Also, I think the Lobdell era shows the flaws in focusing too much on the present and not planning for the future, as a lot of his later foreshadowed plots suffered from poor execution, and as a whole his run is very erratic and uneven.

Morrison Destroyed Genosha, introduced Xorn, did some globetrotting with Phantomex and X-Corp, and as of 21 issues in, was in the middle of Riot at Xaviers at this point. Like Hickman, he seems to have been given a wide time period to work with, and I'd argue that he is also continuing to build at this point. The Cassandra Nova story would have been appeared to be resolved following the Imperium arc, but contemporaneous readers would have seen Ernst introduced at the school and wondered if it was really over.

Carey had finished three arcs ~20 issues in- the Supernova Arc, Blinded by the Light, and Messiah complex. Two of these three felt like they were seeding future stories, with Supernovas setting up a new antagonist group in the Children of the Atom and a new paradigm for Rogue following the Hecatomb arc, and Messiah Complex setting up the return of Mutants following M-Day.

Overall, I think in comparison to other writers, Hickman is progressing just fine. What's interesting about his plotting compared to other authors is that he eschews the standard arc format and instead progresses multiple plotlines simultaneously. Had he been working in the early 2000's "write for the trade" period, the growth of Krakoa, the introduction of the Arakki, the competition with humanity, and the return of the Children of the Vault would each be distinct storylines happening sequentially, but Hickman jumps back and forth between them. I like this organic unravelling of the plot, and I'm optimistic that it's going to produce a very cohesive work when all is said and done.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Jun 2021, 15:48

norwichchris wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 14:18
Venus is a strange world to be honest think something must have hit it like a moon as it rotates in the opposite direction to every other planet very weird but you can live on the clouds of Venus much like Cloud City in Star Wars Empire Strikes Back.

I don't really like Duggan or Hickman's writing feel they spend most of the time sowing the seeds for future stories and the far future of Mutantkind and the MU. Rather than have stories based on current events and what is happening now in the X- Books. They are incredibly thought out though with research clearly being done on the topics being written about.

What? Like Where do you get that from Marauders? Or anything else Duggan has written? Besides the fact that all writers with more than arc to write, seed future plot points…even if the future is just an issue later. I feel like you just said that to say it.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 21 Jun 2021, 16:38

In general, most arcing stories, which Hickman and Duggan have the largest hand in, are a lot of seed planting, with peaks and vallyies here and there before finales. That's just serial storytelling.

I'd say the argument could be meet that Hickman has been A LOT of seed planting(I mean we are just coming around to Moira), but the pandemic kinda delayed a lot, so I don't fully blame him for the whole slower pace to this current run.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 21 Jun 2021, 17:38

As it happens, Orchis already oversees Sentinel City mining Mercury since X-Men (5th series) #6. So while they aren't terraforming, they are ahead of Krakoa in the area of resource allocution.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 21 Jun 2021, 21:26

norwichchris wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 14:18

Venus's clouds are made of sulphuric acid, not water vapor, so humans couldn't live among them. It also only has "hot" volcanoes, not cryo.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Jun 2021, 21:06

The Axolotl mutant was amazing! First Minecraft now X-Men...
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |