Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marauders #18

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

Marauders #18

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Feb 2021, 13:53

Oh that was interesting...a lot of small pieces that are such nice touches (who the Reavers are, the hospital name, even Mags and Xavier’s reaction)...I continue to really like this book. And I liked that Bishop and Iceman were the heavies this time, especially Bishop. I like that Duggan is taking the focus on him now.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

norwichchris

Re: Marauders #18

Post by norwichchris » 17 Feb 2021, 14:40

I couldn't agree more really liked the big hospital reveal at the end and there reactions. This book does often have really good storylines that are then picked up on again later on down the road.

However was not really impressed with the new Reavers they seemed a bit too comical for my taste and preferred the cybernetic enhanced ones more they looked cooler.

Although could never work out if they were immortals or clones as they often get destroyed completely only to come back again.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 17 Feb 2021, 18:24

I felt like the new Reavers looked a lot like a couple of the Inferno babies— with the blasty arms and the monocle-thingy.

Anyway, [insert das’s usual “this title is way superior when Kate isn’t the focus” rant]. This was full of nice little touches, and I kind of prefer when we hit the geo-politics of a post-Krakoa world with this title. Loved the inclusion of Masque, LOVED the Autumn Court’s reaction to the hospital name, and enjoyed the bar brawl too. Bishop being written as an intelligent and competent field leader is actually giving me life, and I even didn’t hate Hellfire Club Tweens this issue either.

This book STILL hovers on the cusp of being dropped for me, for nearly the same reasons as X-Force, however. This is largely Kate and Emma’s book, and me being a full-on Kate-hater, this really was never going to be the book for me. I just REALLY hope that Kate’s moved onto X-Men so this can become Bishop and Emma’s book instead.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 17 Feb 2021, 20:52

Is Duggan implying Emma knows about Moira? If he is (and how would she know?), then she doing this is just to show off to Xavier and Magneto is one of the dumbest decisions anyone made in the X-books in ages, since she gains nothing and risks everything- Xavier erasing it from her memory, or Moira killing her off to be resurrected without the memory would not be out of character reactions.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Feb 2021, 21:03

I didn’t think so...but idk
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 18 Feb 2021, 06:56

You know never really considered that when we look back at HOX/POX we do see Emma reading Xavier/Magneto's mind think when they are recruiting her in Rome so its possible but doubt it somehow as there is no evidence she is aware of her.

She could have done it to throw them both of balance and make clear she is a force to be reckoned with did also spot Shaw in the background. Suppose its a really nice idea on the part of the mutants always felt there powers could really help humans but they never really seemed to bother much so its a nice change.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 18 Feb 2021, 07:42

I doubt Emma is aware of Moira. This book really likes to set up dramatic irony, however, and consequently likes to show us things that we know to be kind of disastrous or tense on some level which the characters don’t understand until it blows up in their faces. I imagine Emma didn’t do this really to antagonize Magneto and Charles so much as she did it to be extravagant. Her remark about the looks on their faces to me reads like her express satisfaction at their shock at her boldness in making a major move in Krakoa, because Emma likes to push the envelope. She likely doesn’t realize there’s something more to it IMO.

Really enjoyed the scene with Masque, but it also made me feel a little weird.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 18 Feb 2021, 09:28

Personally I liked the Masque scene for me as it showed Mutants can actually use there powers for helping humans rather than randomly blowing them up. The hostility was getting a bit too much really to be honest.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Feb 2021, 11:49

What hostility? From Masque?

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 18 Feb 2021, 12:08

Humans hating mutants so much and trying to endlessly kill them for random reasons...

As well as Mutants hating humans and blowing them up.

Like to see humans/mutants working together and helping each other it makes a nice change.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Feb 2021, 13:25

I mean humans hating mutants is like literally the whole point, if you’re tired of that then why read X-books? Lol

And I could point out like a few other examples, it’s not like this is the first time mutants helped humans...hell this not the only time this week lol...

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Feb 2021, 17:53

This was pretty decent, the clean-up of Madripoor has been a long time coming. And nice to see a more substantive attempt to reform a villain with Masque who seemed genuinely touched (and good choice to feature a cleft palate rather than something purely 'cosmetic'). The origins of the new Reavers is a good idea (and frankly imo should result in the X-Men just killing them this time instead of letting this cycle continue) but you do miss that the old Reavers had more individual personality. Maybe we will get more next issue but I'm guessing Duggan wants to use the space for something else.
Best Comics of Week 18

X-titles: Hellions #11 by Zeb Wells (4) and Stephen Segovia (4)
Non-X titles: Heroes Reborn #1 by Jason Aaron (2) and Ed McGuinness (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 18 Feb 2021, 19:43

Blackcyclops wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 13:25
I mean humans hating mutants is like literally the whole point, if you’re tired of that then why read X-books? Lol

And I could point out like a few other examples, it’s not like this is the first time mutants helped humans...hell this not the only time this week lol...
I agree you have a point here, humans hating mutants is a theme of the entire franchise. I just want to see more of them working together against Bigoted humans/mutants sort of to Justify why Krakoa and the X-Men exist in the first place. Personally prefer the older comics as they balanced this out a lot more with mutants launching attacks on humans and like a never ending cycle.

I don't like the new Reavers they look like Ironman but organic dreadful design. The original Reavers were proper badarses but could never work out if they were immortal or not as they never seemed to die at all. Loved seeing Pierce again as well that was a nice way to link Mauraders with the original Hellfire club.

Honestly not entirely sure if Emma does know or not but think she suspects Moira is alive as she did scan Xavier/Magnetos mind when they recruited her so its possible. Don't think though she has given anything away at all to them except to keep them of balance also loved how she wheeled Shaw about to further humiliate him a cruel but nice touch.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 18 Feb 2021, 20:51

I'm pretty sure telepath Charles Xavier made sure that there was no one way he and Magneto's mind could be read about Moira given he's consistently around telepaths. Given how well they've planned it, that would be a glaring oversight. So no, I don't think Emma knows what's happening with Moira.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 21 Feb 2021, 08:11

Think we missed something here Xavier mentions that Proteus is there so its conceivable that he named it after His mother to honour her memory makes more sense actually and Emma went along with it.

Think Emma/Xavier are equal when it comes to Telepathic powers.

Personally find this book far more enjoyable to read than the main title and that is very common now does anyone else find this?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 Feb 2021, 12:16

norwichchris wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 08:11
Think we missed something here Xavier mentions that Proteus is there so its conceivable that he named it after His mother to honour her memory makes more sense actually and Emma went along with it.
... that was Magneto who asked why Proteus was there...
Think Emma/Xavier are equal when it comes to Telepathic powers.
Xavier is definitely more powerful than Emma. Emma is subtle, sneaky and precise with her telepathy, but Xavier is all those things and also far more experienced than she is. The only time I believe we’ve really seen Emma overwhelm Xavier was when she blindsided him and he was still regaining his memories and control over his powers in Carey’s X-Men, and even then, not only did she have the element of surprise, but he was also nowhere near his full capabilities.

At the moment he’s literally wandering around with a Cerebro unit on his head at all times, which magnifies his powers massively. Yes that’s to collect memories of mutants to make back-ups, but it also greatly increases his powers... even on her best day, I wouldn’t rate Emma’s chances against a more experienced Xavier with a constant power boost.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 22 Feb 2021, 07:05

Sorry Das you are correct again ahh.... think I am correct about Proteus though he wanted to honour his mother as they never really had much of a relationship and he wanted to make amends.

Regarding they may have let her see there plans in order to gain her trust and ensure she does what they want but know that you mention it, incredibly doubtful given how secretive they both are.

If Xavier is so powerful how come he couldn't work out what was wrong with Kates clones?

Still overwhelming love this issue more than the main title.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 22 Feb 2021, 09:56

Power has nothing to do with Xavier being unable to figure out Kate’s clone issue, and everything to do with Emma’s ability to think more outside of the box than him. It’s like when someone comes up against something that’s an unforeseen obstacle in something they do every day and can’t figure it out because they’re so used to things going smoothly, then someone from outside of that situation comes along and recommends trying something that the original person would never have considered because it’s not the done thing— it’s absolutely nothing to do with power levels and more of an emphasis on Emma’s lateral thinking abilities...

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 22 Feb 2021, 14:50

Also Norwhich, I have to say I don't get why you are really like, doubling down on the "Emma can read their minds" business. We've seen Xavier and Magneto take every pre-caution to keep Moira a secret. Do you really think they'll be like "Oh yeah! There are telepaths here who can read our minds. Can't believe we forgot about that one!"

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 23 Feb 2021, 08:58

In HOX/POX series (counting them as two as they make more sense as one big story) Xavier & Magneto go to recruit Emma but she is very reluctant to help them then Emma changes her mind and so I wondered if maybe they let her now some but not all of there plans for Krakoa.

I don't think Emma knows Moira is alive or even suspects it. Note "Usernamenotimportant" mentioned this first not me but did make me wonder if it was possible they did to gain Emmas trust.

Xavier is more powerful than Emma except as you said thinking outside the box. The 5in1 couldn't work out what was wrong with Kates-Clones either

Both Xavier/Magneto are incredibly arrogant and so could see them overlooking or thinking they have appropriate safeguards in place.

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 23 Feb 2021, 15:48

Emma changes her mind because she sees the scope of their plan, and also she stood to make a lot of money.

And no, Xavier and Magneto are not arrogant enough to not notice someone in their minds, specially the guy who's the most experienced, and when he's with Cerebro (which is all the time), the most powerful telepath alive, and not just in any small secret, but one that could literally end all their lives as they know it. Even non-telepaths have shown to have precautions to keep secrets (for example: Scott was able to keep X-force from Emma for quite some time), let alone Xavier and the guy who's with a helmet most of the time.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 26 Feb 2021, 12:29

Emma has loads of money and she was also a survivor of Genosha and the X-Mansion attacks. Be more than that but think you are correct as she was offered a chance to part of a ruling council of mutants which suppose she felt could easiley assure there survival.

There are mutants and humans as well as technology that can block Telepathic scans even from Cerebro/Xavier and Emma has used Cerebro before. So yes you are completely correct.

Overall liked this issue found it led onto newer things and did bring some old plot threads back.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 26 Feb 2021, 13:15

I'm really confused by your post. You keep saying username is correct on points he never made.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 01 Mar 2021, 16:40

I was stating that you can mask your presence from a telepath even one as powerful as Xavier but afterwards realized he was correct in his assumption. :D

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 01 Mar 2021, 18:14

Krakoa is absolutely riddled with telepaths. If Xavier and Magneto didn't take some sort of precaution, that would be monumentally stupid of them.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"