Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Factor #1

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

Re: X-Factor #1

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jul 2020, 11:16

Polaris was childish?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 31 Jul 2020, 11:24

ups, maybe not so much in the writing...maybe in the art...dont know how to say...Rachel is the only one Im caring in that group at the moment
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 01 Aug 2020, 23:21

Overall I liked this a good amount. Refreshing too to have the main mystery (Aurora's death) wrapped in one issue, as well as getting the team basically set up, instead of unnecessarily stretching it out over an entire arc. Good use of everyone's powers. I do hope the team eventually gets a bit more professional - I really hope we don't get a repeat of how awful and incompetent the X-Tremists were again - but it's only one issue in, and the slapdash nature of the team certainly fits the other teams we've seen formed on Krakoa. Personality-wise, most of the characters seem spot-on, with maybe Daken being a bit too dudebro-ish (but maybe I'm wrong, I haven't read a lot of stuff with him in it) and Polaris seemingly having taken a step backwards - I too was surprised by her reaction to being nominated to be in charge. It's clear that rehabbing her after all the 'crazy Lorna' stuff is gonna be an aim, though.

The art is somewhat annoying, rather over the top in some respects. Not a fan of Northstar's design, and Daken's over-buffness still feels wrong. The colors are very nice, though, which helps.

Kyle's human, right? So why does he get to be on Krakoa? I thought no humans allowed?

Curious where the story is supposed to take place timeline-wise... the dialogue about Aurora missing puts it only about a week tops after the big party, but Rachel has the warwolf from Excalibur which doesn't feel like it took place within a week of the party.

With how many queer folk they've got, I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if they don't take the opportunity to bring up Rachel... ;)

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 02 Aug 2020, 00:14

Magnus wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:21
Kyle's human, right? So why does he get to be on Krakoa? I thought no humans allowed?

Curious where the story is supposed to take place timeline-wise... the dialogue about Aurora missing puts it only about a week tops after the big party, but Rachel has the warwolf from Excalibur which doesn't feel like it took place within a week of the party.
Humans can come to Krakoa if they are invited and accompanied by a mutant as they cross a gate, and Krakoa doesn't object. Brian Braddock has also been to the island, so was Melody Guthrie before she underwent the Crucible.

There could have been more than one huge party.
[PL_2.0]

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Aug 2020, 00:16

@Magnus: Daken is an interesting character. He started off very much like a diabolical and cold-blooded killer. He was sadistic and twisted and with him being bisexual, his characterization bordered on the stereotypical. He did have some pathos beneath it all as shown by Daniel Way. Then he went to the Dark Avengers. In that book hw started to come off as slightly less twisted and more playful but still clearly a bad guy and bad-ass...then he had the Dark Wolverine book. That title finally dug into his character. He still was a villain. But the vulnerabilities started to show and he became more than “evil bisexual lothario Wolverine”. And became almost fully an anti-hero at least by the time of the Hunt for Wolverine stuff (he teamed with Laura a few times).

In this book, he appears to be alot more neutered than his previous depictions, in terms of cruelty and “evilness” with his kind of lothario angle played up but not being so much a one-note thing since the diversity of sexuality among the cast just makes him seem less like a “type”. And most importantly, he seems to not be totally an asshole or bad guy here. There are moments that show a heroic side to him and I think that side is what’s going to make this depiction particularly interesting.

I recommend the criminally underrated Dark Wolverine series he had.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 02 Aug 2020, 04:25

Magnus wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:21
Blob was referring to the opening the Green Lagoon bar which we saw over in X-Force not the party at the end of HoX/PoX.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 02 Aug 2020, 05:44

Lavettye wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 00:14
Humans can come to Krakoa if they are invited and accompanied by a mutant as they cross a gate, and Krakoa doesn't object. Brian Braddock has also been to the island, so was Melody Guthrie before she underwent the Crucible.
Ah that's right, I do remember that language now. Though I don't remember Brian going to the island (was it outside of Excalibur?) and Melody, being a depowered mutant, is a different situation.
Quick and Dead wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 04:25
Blob was referring to the opening the Green Lagoon bar which we saw over in X-Force not the party at the end of HoX/PoX.
Good point, I think you're right.

@BC - yeah, that kinda is how I remember him (originally just a straight up sadistic killer, then more of a lothario). Thanks for the rundown.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 02 Aug 2020, 07:00

My bad, I thought he was mentioned as on the island in Excalibur #9 when Meggan said she was going home, back to Brian and Maggie, but she refered to Baddock Manor, it seems. However, in that same scene Meggan mentions that they could talk to the council abou Brian being allowed to Krakoa too. And the fact itself was established already way back in HoX #1 when Jean explained to the green mutant kid how the gates operate.
[PL_2.0]