Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Wolverine #2

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Quick and Dead

Wolverine #2

Post by Quick and Dead » 27 Mar 2020, 03:48

Didn't see a topic on this one yet...

It's grim but Ben Percy is knocking it out the park in terms of dialogue and prose. The Pale Girl is intriguing and I loved the scene between Scott and Logan in the Hatchery.

Zombie Kate took me by surprise at first but it looks like the general consensus is that it was just an illusion.
Twitter: @TonyBWood

tokenBG1009

Re: Wolverine #2

Post by tokenBG1009 » 27 Mar 2020, 12:55

Logan just constantly murdering his friends and allies. I am finding it to be a tired trope, but this book is still a really good read.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 27 Mar 2020, 18:57

I was secretly hoping the villain would be Mysterio for some reason like in Old Man Logan where he creates illusions around the X-men and he kills them all.

Wolverine is always very susceptible to mind control

P-90

Post by P-90 » 27 Mar 2020, 19:22

norwichchris wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 18:57
I was secretly hoping the villain would be Mysterio for some reason like in Old Man Logan where he creates illusions around the X-men and he kills them all.

Wolverine is always very susceptible to mind control
Which is quite annoying TBH, not only has he historically shown to have a natural resistance to mind control (by acting purely on instinct) he, as with all the X-Men would have had extensive training to resist psychic attacks.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Mar 2020, 19:51

We’re assuming that the Pale Lady is using telepathy though...they were on a boat with psi-dampners and her powers still worked.

Mind control doesn’t mean telepathy either...hypnosis, pheromones, illusion casting, mechanical control, etc...

And furthermore, Logan isn’t the only person falling for her power...apparently it’s enough to get Storm and Iceman and not be detected by Jean. So I’d say hold up on any assessments until we learn more about the villain here.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 27 Mar 2020, 20:42

P-90 to my Knowledge Mysterio powers are purely technological along with hypnosis and special effects so its entirely possible he could fool Wolverine. In this case BC is correct she could even be using magic which I believe many mutants are vulnerable to.

Seriously on another note would absolutely love to see Mysterio fight wolverine and see how well he fairs.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 27 Mar 2020, 20:51

norwichchris wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 20:42
P-90 to my Knowledge Mysterio powers are purely technological along with hypnosis and special effects so its entirely possible he could fool Wolverine. In this case BC is correct she could even be using magic which I believe many mutants are vulnerable to.

Seriously on another note would absolutely love to see Mysterio fight wolverine and see how well he fairs.
You'd think with his enhanced senses and experience he'd be able to see through any tech based illusions, I suppose it's just a matter of how fast he catches on before he does something terrible.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 29 Mar 2020, 17:52

Anyone have an answer? he always seem very easy to mind control.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 29 Mar 2020, 20:15

I don’t know if there is really a solid answer. We have lots of incidents where Wolverine is stated to have a resistance to even the most powerful telepathy, but there’s nothing to say that magic, or technology (including biotechnology, which I imagine could be very effective against Logan running even on pure instinct) isn’t what’s at work here. While Logan and any number of the X-Men might be able to resist telepathy and even arguably other forms of conventional mind control due to the discipline it must take to resist telepathy to begin with, that kind of discipline cannot totally account for all possible manipulations.

This reminds me of, like, cyber security. The threats likely always outpace the methods of protecting against them. Logan is one of the most notorious warriors in world, with lots of enemies. Surely there are people actively working on any number of novel ways to take him and his associates down.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 30 Mar 2020, 18:25

It would make sense if you can take control of him when he was asleep or his defences were lowered and then you could control him more than maybe via hypnosis.

If he does not even realise he is in a hypnotic trance he would never notice anyway nor would anyone else until it was too late