Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men #6

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
tokenBG1009

Re: X-Men #6

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Feb 2020, 08:14

She was generally weird here anyways. It almost seemed like she'd been rebooted and her experiences wiped. Yet, at the same time, she very clearly remembers the X-Men considering her conversation with Kurt in HoX.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Feb 2020, 09:31

Just a theory... but Karima’s one of the rare non-mutant members of the X-Men. Could it be that she maybe reverted to Omega Sentinel status as a result of suddenly not being enough of an outsider to warrant a place on Krakoa? Like... she was good enough to be on Rogue’s team where she was put under the control of Malice, and ended up in a coma, she was good enough to help rebuild Utopia once she came back online, and she was good enough to help out in that X-Women series (which, Arkea put her in serious personal jeopardy)... but now she isn’t good enough to join them on Krakoa as an ally. More than most (excluding Moira due to her new mutant status), our of all of the X-Men’s human allies, i’d actually struggle to think of someone who has been a more staunch ally despite the personal cost to them, that is also human. Even her transformation into an Omega Sentinel is a direct response to the threat that the X-Men and Mutants posed to humanity, and she was still an ally when she was able to be.

I think I’d be a bit salty at the exclusivity of the X-Club too if my entire body has been co-opted, my mind over-ridden by malicious programming, only to overcome it, offer to help them out at no small cost to my self, only to be told I wasn’t “different” enough to hang out with them. Irrespective of whether she chose to leave the X-Men or not, it’s probably safe to assume that with all their craziness, they didn’t get the chance to check up on her all that often and just left her to it, when really she probably could have been better supported upon leaving the team. I doubt she’d find it easy to reintegrate to human life, for example...

Anyway, just a theory. TL;DR— Karima May have felt a certain kind of way about not being allowed on Krakoa as a human, so returned to being a Sentinel out of spite🤷‍♂️
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Feb 2020, 10:18

That was actually my going theory during HoX/PoX, but I was pretty alone on that island. When she runs into Kurt on the satellite Kurt brings up the fact she sided with the humans and she replies with something to the effect of "you made that choice for me."

To me, that was a very clear indicator that Karima'd been pushed out of a group that was essentially her family because she didn't belong anymore. There's potential for some animosity considering what she was turned into. Does it excuse her siding with the people who are building mutant killing robots? No, but I can at least have empathy for what she's potentially been put through.

This is one of my big issues with Hickman's mandate that only mutants are X-Men. There are so many non-mutant allies that get pushed out with this mandate.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Feb 2020, 10:35

There clearly has to be a Karima focused story at some point to give her mindset
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Feb 2020, 10:50

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 10:35
There clearly has to be a Karima focused story at some point to give her mindset
"these all sound like stories to me and we don't tell them for free."

Of course, the problem with this is they have to want to tell that story AND have an actual story to tell. I have a lot of cynicism regarding the current state of things especially when it comes to stories that take place prior to HoX1.

comicsfan666

Post by comicsfan666 » 13 Feb 2020, 11:34

Aeon wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 08:03
I still have no idea how she became a Sentinel again when she was „cured“ I think in X-Women.
There's not much point to the character if she's not an omega sentinel so maybe TPTB just decided to ignore that story?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Feb 2020, 11:37

tokenBG1009 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 10:50
Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 10:35
"these all sound like stories to me and we don't tell them for free."

Of course, the problem with this is they have to want to tell that story AND have an actual story to tell. I have a lot of cynicism regarding the current state of things especially when it comes to stories that take place prior to HoX1.
Well it wouldn’t have to be prior...just one set in the present with Karima giving her state of mind.

Plus we just got a story prior to HoX this very issue lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 13 Feb 2020, 14:11

This one i really liked. Its basically the first real next going forward and more revealing overall story coming out of Hox/PoX

I also think MagNavier/XavierNeto (or even whole Trirumvirate because maybe Moira is behind the scenes as well) hoped she killed the doctor.
Knowing Mystique she will go for a plan that brings back Destiny ànd burns Krakoa to the ground
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 13 Feb 2020, 14:18

Isn’t this story retcon a bit to much about Destiny revealing that whole island fiasco to Mystique? That scene was very implausible for Mystique remaining silent for 20 years or so. I am all in for retcons, but they usually involve time travel and mind altering stuff.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 13 Feb 2020, 15:10

Not really. Destiny even said it herself, Mystique would struggle to understand this.
I was thinking during the issue that Mystique’s other night storyline from the last five years also involved her obsessive quest to resurrect Destiny. In the Wolverines series after Logan died, that was her ultimate goal.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Feb 2020, 15:13

I thought it was neat how they did the callback to the mission on the station, and Mystique saying she "got delayed". Now we finally see what delayed her. I love it when writers are thinking several issues ahead to the point they can insert something like that and then bring it all back later.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Feb 2020, 17:20

das_boot wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 09:31

Anyway, just a theory. TL;DR— Karima May have felt a certain kind of way about not being allowed on Krakoa as a human, so returned to being a Sentinel out of spite🤷‍♂️
I don't think there's a ton of Karima left in there. From what I gathered, the Omega Sentinel program overrode her and took over. What you're seeing now isn't Karima with robot bits, it's a robot wearing Karima's face.

And hell, who knows, maybe human Karima is out there somewhere and this is just the leftovers that got purged from her body.

Besides, for all their talk of "Krakoa is for mutants only", both Broo and Shogo have been on the island. And Shogo even lives there. My guess is, X-Allies are being included.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 13 Feb 2020, 17:32

EphemeristX wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 17:20

Besides, for all their talk of "Krakoa is for mutants only", both Broo and Shogo have been on the island. And Shogo even lives there. My guess is, X-Allies are being included.
Krakoa makes exceptions for non-mutants when they are accompanied by a real mutant. Maybe they even have to tell Krakoa in advance that they bring non-mutant visitors.

Wings

Post by Wings » 13 Feb 2020, 17:41

I think Karima's personality remains but at this stage the programming has overwhelmed her psyche, she's far enough gone that the X-Men aren't making helping her a priority but her behaviour indicates she's not wholly a slave to the machine yet.

And Karima wouldn't have become a Sentinel again of her own volition, IMO, it cost her too much.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 13 Feb 2020, 18:43

The retcon is plausible to be honest, Destiny could see well into the future but there is a plot-hole slightly. When a mutant is resurrected does Xavier or Cerebro read there minds before transfer to ensure they are as complete as possible like you would when rewriting a HDD am i being to simplistic? He probably already knows Mystique will betray them.

A solid issue really like Orchis think they are definitely dangerous threat to mutantkind. I do have another question in the house of X series what was that red crystal the scientist Gregor had?

The artwork has definitely improved

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 13 Feb 2020, 20:12

You can copy a hard drive without viewing every single file that's on it.

For a moment I had a similar reaction as Aeon towards the Destiny flashback. We know that Destiny was able to see this far into the future from other incidents, but how many of these cryptic messages could she have left behind and in how many different ways? She could have written the one from X-Men #6 into one of her diaries, after all Mystique held on to them for a while. However, in a diary, the message would eventually be seen or read by others too, and this message was apparently too delicate for anyone else other than Mystique to know… and still cryptic enough for not to have affected Mystique too much in recent years before Krakoa.
norwichchris wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 18:43
I do have another question in the house of X series what was that red crystal the scientist Gregor had?
Off topic. This thread is for discussing X-Men #6. The crystal was neither shown nor mentioned in this issue.
[PL_2.0]

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 13 Feb 2020, 20:36

You are right.
However Mystique/Destiny are lovers and share many secrets together so from that point of view a cryptic message for us but for Mystique this was very important to her as she loved Destiny so much which is clearly seen later comics after Destiny dies.

Could destiny via her prophecies alter the future potentially like Moira. So that Krakoa would happen leading to the domination of mutantkind and her own eventual resurrection hence why she didn't put it in her diary?

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 13 Feb 2020, 22:45

You know, Charlie and Mags tell Mystique they can’t trust her, but they have killers, world conquerors and every evil mutant who hated the X-Men on Krakoa and some even in leading positions.
Last edited by Aeon on 13 Feb 2020, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 13 Feb 2020, 22:50

Exactly Aeon my entire problem with the series it's predictable and seems to be setting them up just to fail or something else is happening??

I agree the acolyte should be there but most of them are pure evil creatures and would be a dangerous influence on mutants.

Tessa1984

Post by Tessa1984 » 13 Feb 2020, 23:53

norwichchris wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 22:50
Exactly Aeon my entire problem with the series it's predictable and seems to be setting them up just to fail or something else is happening??
You typically state that characters are acting out-of-character and that the X-Men are acting like villains, neither of which are what I'd consider predictable lol

As for "setting them up to fail," you might consider that tension a component of good storytelling.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Feb 2020, 01:33

Tessa1984 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 23:53
norwichchris wrote:
You typically state that characters are acting out-of-character and that the X-Men are acting like villains, neither of which are what I'd consider predictable lol

As for "setting them up to fail," you might consider that tension a component of good storytelling.
Plot induced stupidity is not good storytelling. Especially in this situation where it requires ignoring decades of writing that has established SO MANY PEOPLE on the Quiet Council shouldn't be trusted with a book of matches on Krakoa.

As for Destiny:

I believe Hickman has put a spin on Destiny's powers. Remember in HoX 2 where Destiny basically tells Moira "I know who you are and what you're doing. I'm watching you." She also implies that she's tied to Moira in some way. I think Hickman's take on Destiny's powers is allowing her to see through Moira's lives and has seen Krakoa's founding.

totaldarknessin

Post by totaldarknessin » 14 Feb 2020, 02:21

Overall, this book is great. yes at times there seen to be no organized story; but I think it is long form story telling instead of quick hit short form stuff. In almost every instance; the long form stuff pays off much better than the quick hit stuff. Plus this book has the most consistent connection to HOX/POX out of all the other books. For example, Excalibur has little connections other than occasional uses of the portals.

Tessa1984

Post by Tessa1984 » 14 Feb 2020, 02:42

tokenBG1009 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 01:33
Plot induced stupidity is not good storytelling. Especially in this situation where it requires ignoring decades of writing that has established SO MANY PEOPLE on the Quiet Council shouldn't be trusted with a book of matches on Krakoa.

As for Destiny:

I believe Hickman has put a spin on Destiny's powers. Remember in HoX 2 where Destiny basically tells Moira "I know who you are and what you're doing. I'm watching you." She also implies that she's tied to Moira in some way. I think Hickman's take on Destiny's powers is allowing her to see through Moira's lives and has seen Krakoa's founding.
Perhaps I'm missing the larger point you're trying to make, but I differentiate Mystique from Apocalypse, Sinister, Shaw, etc. For example, had they asked Selene to plant a Krakoa seed on the Forge, I probably would've rolled my eyes, laughed, and figuratively set aside my digital comic book. Instead, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Mystique do her thing and potentially light the fuse that blows up Krakoa.

As for Destiny, I think she saw this whole thing play out exactly as it will. There's no need to change her power set in order to do that.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Feb 2020, 08:58

Yeah I’m with Tessa on this...I dont see the plot induced stupidity here. You might call it naivety on the part of Xavier but he’s 1)arrogant as shit (since he was back in the day erasing parents’ minds and faking deaths), 2)he’s used her before as a pretty efficient agent (whole series about it) and 3)he genuinely believes that Mystique would really do what’s best for mutantkind because that has been her MO since CC fleshed her out.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Feb 2020, 09:02

norwichchris wrote:

I agree the acolyte should be there but most of them are pure evil creatures and would be a dangerous influence on mutants.

Pure evil? Most of the Acolytes don’t have even personality or enough story written about them for you to make any conclusions about them like that...from what we gathered about alot of them were essentially zealots for a cause. I don’t know if that makes someone “pure evil” though...they were flock in a cause that was exploited to do bad things but “pure evil” is Mephisto. Hell, even Dr. Doom isn’t pure evil not Apocalypse if we’re being honest. That’s simplistic language...