Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Fallen Angel #2

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Blackcyclops

Fallen Angel #2

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Nov 2019, 13:53

I was worried I was reaching but I see they want to explicitly talk about it might be fate that brought Kwannon and Betsy together..
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Magnus

Re: Fallen Angel #2

Post by Magnus » 28 Nov 2019, 00:59

Didn't care for this issue, felt rather pointless. Didn't really push the plot forward in any real way (except that now they're side-questing for Kable) and covered a lot of the same plot beats as last issue. Lots of scenes that feel like they're supposed to be character beats but just feel meh.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 28 Nov 2019, 02:36

I quite liked this and am glad we are gradually getting more insight about Kwannon, but I think I might be the only person who really likes this book. It reminds me of the La Femme Nikita télévision series from the nineties.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Nov 2019, 05:51

It was good, but I enjoyed it less than the first issue. It feels extremely decompressed, but we're only two issues in.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 28 Nov 2019, 15:35

This one is a step down, Fallen Angels is intriguing but the lesser of the DoX titles.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 28 Nov 2019, 21:19

I’m actually really digging this. The attempt to fix the Betsy/Kwannon body swap nonsense is really fascinating for me. It’s a great challenge for the X-line to sell us on this and it’s one of those things that you would only find in comic books. I’m interested and I like how they’re making it like Kwannon is a pro compared to Cable and X23 when you most readers.
Twitter: @TonyBWood

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 03 Dec 2019, 17:12

I am so sad that this series isn't doing well. It's the "weird" art/writing x-title that I kind of want and I'll make no secret of the fact that I've been on the #JusticeForKwannon bandwagon since I learned about the character almost twenty years ago. I love this title and am sorry to see that it's probably the first on the chopping block.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 04 Dec 2019, 19:45

I like this more than the first issue, although both the writing and the art leave something to be desired. Panel by panel, my opinion was changing of the art. It was distracting and inconsistent. There were a few panels that just had a really questionable point of view. I am liking the development of Kwannon, although I sometimes have to remind myself that it's Kwannon going by the name Psylocke. I like that she refers to Betsy as Elizabeth which is consistent with the past. The plot point that she is carrying around some guilt is nice but, the re-framing of her identity needs development and still seems lazy to me. As does the plot points for X-23 and why this relationship works for them.

Huge continuity gaffs here, if I'm reading this correctly. I know we're on a new mutant utopia and all, but the last time Dazzler and Kwannon interacted, Dazzler melted her face...if that was her and not an avenging spirit or whatever. Even worse, Kwannon wasn't known to be a telepath prior to the body swap. She was at best a low-level empath. The whole point of taking custody of Betsy and brainwashing her into believing she was Lady Mandarin - and not Kwannon - was to give the Mandarin a telepathic assassin, so articulating that Kwannon was, pre body-swap a somewhat skilled telepath is inconsistent. Puzzling over this without the X-Men issues in front of me hurts my head,so I admit there is likely leeway here, but still.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Dec 2019, 19:50

Like Shaw said, if Xavier and Apoccy can shake hands then Dazzler and Kwannon can be cool.

Also...was that back then supposed to be actually Kwannon?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 04 Dec 2019, 20:32

We had no reason to believe that was actually Kwannon when Dazzler melted her face off. It acted nothing like anything we had seen of the character previously and was instead an immensely angry generic demon-like being. Had it been KWANNON fighting to remain in control of Psylocke’s body, you’d think that Betsy and the X-Men might be a little bit less eager to murder her considering they’d previously parted on good terms.

And re: Kwannon’s powers, I just read the issues a few weeks ago for whatever reason and her powers pre-swap were a little more ambiguous or defined than “low-level empathy” IIRC. That she had some hand training (or counter training, and let’s remember that this author is cleaning up a disorganized mess where many things about the character were left fairly unclear or were said to be misdirections) would reasonably say to me that whatever psychic gift she had might be a little bit more developed than to be wholly insignificant, while still falling beneath Psylocke’s psi-division and X-Men training on the scale of ability. That she had any gift in the first place was said to be partly why Kwannon and Betsy were psychically and genetically compatible.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Dec 2019, 21:07

Yeah, the Kwannon story in itself is a huge continuity gaff, so I'm fine with some things being changed. That said, all that is said is that she can hear thoughts. Even low level telepaths can do that. Higher ones can do much, much more. Giving her Betsy's power set would make her way more powerful than she was at the time. An assassin who can hear thoughts is cool. An assassin who can hear thoughts, read minds, control others, cast illusions, alter memories, and perform psychic blasts is way cooler.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"