Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

New Mutants #1 (SPOILERS)

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
MultipleMadrox

New Mutants #1 (SPOILERS)

Post by MultipleMadrox » 06 Nov 2019, 05:27

Spoiler: show
Wolfsbane is reborn and welcomed into Krakoa. She meets with Karma who asks her if she wants to discuss the broader moral/religious questions about what’s happening, but Rahne finally feels at peace.

Elsewhere, Cypher is experimenting on how Mondo’s powers can interact with Krakoa. While Mondo isn’t able to do anything special after absorbing some of Krakoa, Krakoa however is able to possess Mondo’s body, but neither likes the experience.

The New Mutants have set up shop in the Akademos Habitat where Moonstar and Sunspot discuss mutant history as they walk amongst other students and, look, what they are talking about is completely irrelevant because in the background of one of these panels, Monet is yelling at two tiny child Penances running around and this is presented without any sort of context or explanation but I guess that’s the twins????? Also in the background, Hellions, both original and Academy X are mingling. But yeah, Dani and Bobby are being cute and funny and they meet up with Magik, Chamber, Cypher, and Mondo and joke about a new Krakoan coffee bean that was commissioned by Monet and SYNCH, who tragically does not appear. It’s all very lovely and it makes Dani and Bobby realize that the only thing keeping Krakoa from being absolutely perfect is that Sam is still in space.

So! The New Mutants hitch a ride with Corsair as he departs from his Daddy’s Weekend to right that wrong. Unfortunately, after a few days, they pretty quickly start wearing out their welcome. The gateway that Cypher brought onto the ship starts communicating(?!) with the one gifted to Corsair by Cyclops and in their attempt to terraform, it ruins Ch’od’s space tomatoes that only grow once a decade. Then Magik cuts off Raza’s robot arm in a fight for the crew’s entertainment, which sees Corsair losing a bet and his fancy bourbon stash to Bobby. Lastly, Dani defies Corsair’s orders to stay on the ship while the Starjammers do business when his lie to cover up their thieving makes her think there are disenfranchised aliens that need saving. But Corsair is just after something called the “King Egg” which is stored in a transit station called Benevolence near Brood spawning territory. The group is caught by Shi’ar troops and Magik is tasered and taken out of commission. The Starjammers decide to save themselves and leave the New Mutants to sort out the situation.
This is the book I was most looking forward to and it really did tick all my boxes. It didn’t suffer from some of the “getting the team together” awkwardness of the others since the team is pretty much the usual suspects, plus Chamber who is easy to accept as someone who would be friends with them. I love that this book built casually off of X-Men #1. Bobby was a joy and so was the art.

But yeah, how about those
baby Penances?

hotknives

Re: New Mutants #1 (SPOILERS)

Post by hotknives » 06 Nov 2019, 09:46

Loved the
baby penances.
Assuming they were Nicole and Claudette?
This was a great fun ride - feels a bit odd to be outside of Krakoa but these characters work really well together - I especially like Jono getting to have a sense of humour again
"These are two hundred dollar Italian cashmere Kiki de Montparnasse stockings, Kurt. I'll only kneel in them if absolutely necessary."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Nov 2019, 11:41

I liked that Betsy and Kate were able to be skeptical of Krakoa but now we’re back to everybody being alil too in love with the place...at least Doug might have issues with it.

I didn’t like Corsair here though, it might made him kind of a jerk.

Also I liked Roberto but he felt less like Avengers-him here, maybe it’s because he was rebooted from earlier?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 06 Nov 2019, 12:10

This one wasn't ticking my boxes. Not bad, but I like it less then the other titles so far. Defintly underwhelming in comparison to X-force of today
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 06 Nov 2019, 12:22

Someone pointed out to me that the first 4 books to release in Dawn of X are:

X-men
Marauders
Excalibur
New Mutants

Put the first letters together and you get X-men. Maybe this is the sole reason they went with the Marauders name?
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 06 Nov 2019, 13:48

WorldWideWade wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 12:22
Someone pointed out to me that the first 4 books to release in Dawn of X are:

X-men
Marauders
Excalibur
New Mutants

Put the first letters together and you get X-men. Maybe this is the sole reason they went with the Marauders name?
:o Good catch

Add

X-force
Fallen Angels

Make XMEN XF

F could stand for Forever
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 06 Nov 2019, 16:23

Blackcyclops wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 11:41
Also I liked Roberto but he felt less like Avengers-him here, maybe it’s because he was rebooted from earlier?
That's quite a jump LOL

I never read much of his Avengers time but I think we can just attribute it to him being around his childhood friends again and having much less to worry about than he's had in years.

Anyway, this was an absolute delight. My only gripe was that whole student village thing? Seemed a bit awkward to me. Do main X-Men live on one part of the island and anyone considered less than in this village? What do Dani, Wolfsbane, Magik, etc. have to do to be considered actual X-Men by now...

Also, I think the artist was told to draw in some Hellions and did a quick google search. Yes, Dust and Rockslide were on a training squad called the Hellions but they never wore the pink suits and they would have no reason to be affiliating with the original Hellions.
Twitter: @TonyBWood

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Nov 2019, 16:43

I mean is it? Everybody jumped on that idea with everyone else (from Jean to well everybody but Kate lol)...and we know Roberto was killed, so he had to be brought back.

Just you look at the character he was from first joining the Avengers to the end of USAvengers (I’ve followed that journey closely from Hickman’s Avengers through Avengers World and TRO and then post-SW in Ewing’s New Avengers and USAvengers) and he seems just less mature here. He feels more like he did when he first joined the Avengers and less like the man at the end (or who showed up talking to Jimmy Woo about the Eternity Mask).

I didn’t throw out the overused mind-control, but similarly to Monet, perhaps he was tweaked as well?
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

SW442

Post by SW442 » 06 Nov 2019, 20:39

I'm not too big on the art style, but it was good to see some of GenX again. I wonder if Chamber's face will ever get fixed. I think Synch once used his powers and showed he could fix his face.

I loved seeing Monet and it's nice she, Sunspot, and Dani are properly colored to say the least. Monet back in her GenX costume is fun. I did always think that was one of her better ones, it's just sad it was uniform and not specific to her. But i'm tired of the X-Factor suits, so this was a welcome change.

A welcome back to Nicole & Claudette, who I don't think we've seen since GenX 50 or 52. I wonder what they're doing to annoy Monet? lol Possibly merging into her & embarrassing her. All the St. Croix siblings on Krakoa is great and I hope they get some focus soon. Chamber makes a comment that shows Synch & Monet are hanging out at the least, so that's another bonus and hope their relationship will get some nice focus.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Nov 2019, 20:47

It’s funny to see Mondo starring in this. I remember how pre-GenX all the promo made it seem like Mondo was gonna be huge and then when he finally shows up, it’s not even him lol

elixir86

Post by elixir86 » 06 Nov 2019, 21:17

Love the fact they're using little details to connect titles: Fauna - The girl who grows coffee was the one in Hox#1 with Jean at Greymalkin habitat.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Nov 2019, 23:38

I'm happy I read this second because it was a perfect detox from X-Force. I'd slot it right below Marauders in turns of how much I enjoyed it.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 07 Nov 2019, 15:12

This was my favorite of the line so far.

I liked everyone's characterizations (coffee addict Illyana is something I never knew I need, but now I can't live without), particularly the Starjammers acting like real pirates now they aren't around Scott and Alex and don't have to play nice.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Nov 2019, 15:42

I do like Corsair and company leaning into the pirate thing...it’s a schtick that I hope sticks and makes them more usable outside of just x-books.

Cable

Post by Cable » 07 Nov 2019, 16:51

The New Mutants and Chamber and then Starjammers is a dream casting for a book for me...which made it so disappointing how badly written this was. The Ch'od bit over the flower was interesting but every single other scene was bad. The info pages were at least good though and better than in Marauders. But otherwise this is probably the worst book of DoX so far.
Best X-Comic last week: X-Force #1
Best non X-Comic last week: Miles Morales Spider-Man #12

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Nov 2019, 07:02

God, Illyana had me rolling. She and Roberto were my favorite characters of the book by a country mile.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 08 Nov 2019, 14:11

I'm a little surprised this road trip to see Cannonball didn't mention "Hey, Sam...remember your dead brother? Guess what we can do?"

Bevatron standing out among the X-Men's Hellions is fine for me, since it seemed to deliberately be a multi-generational idea. However...doesn't that mean Wither is among those Hellions? I guess if Selene is welcome then him too, but man...

Were the baby Penances (Penii?...no, definitely not) supposed to be Nicole and Claudette?

What's Chamber's problem with four armed guys? Sugarman? Forearm? I'm drawing a blank.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 08 Nov 2019, 14:33

Maybe chamber was killed once by something 4 armed?

Monet was in her old Gen-X uniform?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Nov 2019, 14:40

Monolith wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 14:11
I'm a little surprised this road trip to see Cannonball didn't mention "Hey, Sam...remember your dead brother? Guess what we can do?"

Bevatron standing out among the X-Men's Hellions is fine for me, since it seemed to deliberately be a multi-generational idea. However...doesn't that mean Wither is among those Hellions? I guess if Selene is welcome then him too, but man...

Were the baby Penances (Penii?...no, definitely not) supposed to be Nicole and Claudette?

What's Chamber's problem with four armed guys? Sugarman? Forearm? I'm drawing a blank.
Do they tell him his sister died as well? I mean, she's fine now, but she was dead for a couple days.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Nov 2019, 15:03

What if there are some mutants who Xavier never got their “mind” copied?

Also, I think Chamber was just being funny...

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 08 Nov 2019, 15:33

Blackcyclops wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 15:03
What if there are some mutants who Xavier never got their “mind” copied?

Also, I think Chamber was just being funny...
Wouldn’t Cerebro do this automatically, or was always doing it automatically on Xavier‘s behalf? I mean he is known for his secrets. Could have told Forge to build a massive database for copies and then make Forge forget about it.

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 08 Nov 2019, 16:53

this also puts into an interesting perspective Banshee destroying Cerebro during the Phalanx Convenant...

Xavier had backups, but if not for that, Banshee unknowingly killed a shitload of mutants at that time...

and heck, with the Phalanx being made so important by Hickman now, maybe in hindsight the Phalanx wanted Cerebro for more than met the eye then?

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 08 Nov 2019, 17:25

Well, the way House of X/Powers of X affects decades of continuity remains a mystery, it will change many many things as soon as someone starts delving into it and explaining or revealing scenes happening in the backstage while the main story still happened as we know it, similarly to when they used Dark Beast to explain the Morlocks and link it to Sinister and his Marauders and the Mutant Massacre as a way to "clean the house".
Or similarly to when they decided to make Gambit the one who assembled the original Marauders and led them to the Morlocks...

This first issue was solid in some aspects but it feels incomplete in others.
It feels terribly wrong when Jono says "the gang is all here" but then u realize that neither Jubilee (in Excalibur), Husk, Monet, Skin or Synch are here, Mondo and Jono were not exactly "friends" and regarding the New Mutants while its sweet they miss Sam it feels wrong again nobody invited Boom Boom to the party, nobody mentions Magma or whatever happened to Warlock (right, Doug?) or if there is any chance Rusty Collins can be revived or if Skids will be around to rejoin him then? And other former Hellion/X-Force members like Syrin or Warpath?

Dont misunderstand me, I love this roster but this set up issue could and SHOULD have been better, stronger, more solid.
They could have explained this roster better (like most of the rosters in all the new books) as they are not fully organic but forced.

My biggest complain here is that Illyana as comic relief is a big stretch, she had her moments in the original New Mutants book but here it didnt feel correct to me, her coffee moment was funny but a little out of character imo.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Nov 2019, 18:30

I agree with what Token said before about team rosters...like what is a totally organic team lineup? Because any team lineup can be picked apart for not being “organic” or right...at the end of the day, all teams are picked by creators (or editors). There will always be some character some person could point to and say so-and-so are missing.

As for Chamber’s comment: it’s clear that they as a group was waiting for Doug and Mondo, so that’s what he meant by the gang’s all here. It wasn’t him saying “hey all of my former team members or people associated with those teams are now here”...

That said, this team feels like the oddest lineup but only because of Chamber and Mondo. But if we’re seeing a friendship build between Doug and Mondo then I guess that explains him...

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 08 Nov 2019, 18:40

Maybe the NuMu and MoJo were paired together before. We don’t exactly know how much time passed and what everything happened between Age of X-Man and House of X.

They could have worked together for some weeks or month and bonded together as a clique.