Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Uncanny X-men #18

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Flapflop

Uncanny X-men #18

Post by Flapflop » 15 May 2019, 14:13

:shock: Just like the last episode of GOT Rosenberg is given us carnage and some shocking twists :shock:
Spoiler: show
Wolverine is telling Illyana he is done with the X-men and warns her not to trust anyone on the team. The team then surprises the Marauders in the Subway (just like Captain America did in Infinity War). They want to apprehend them for killing the Morlocks. They surrender and repeat they didn't do anything but Jona looses it and burns everyone to crisp. When Cyclops want topunish him he is spiked by Harpoon and dies :cry: . The X-men leave, letting the Marauders crisp to ashes, but when they arrive at Haary's Hidewaway the building is on fire. Seems that Mr. Sinister wants to revenge his Marauders. Havok overextents himself and defeats Sinister, but he starts to fade. They Teleport to Karma's luxury appartments. Dark Beast saves Havok but he has to rest (still fading a little bit). Karma tells Dani she will leave the X-men but thay can stay in the appartment. Alex confronts Scott with the case of Emma Frost (who she is). Cue to Black King Emma who gets a message, from probably a mole from within the X-men, that the X-men defeated the Marauders, just like she ordered, and they still don't know who she is. Mystique, as white king/queen, blames Juggernaut and ask whats next. Emma says: well they try to call you and shows her phone with Scott calling.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

UrbanExplorer

Re: Uncanny X-men #18

Post by UrbanExplorer » 15 May 2019, 14:28

I don’t even want to know who green haired woman was...

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 15 May 2019, 15:04

Calling it:
Mystique was obviously Captain America.
Some other things I suspect:
Emma may have sent Kwannon to kill Joseph, and seems to have played a role in manipulating the Marauders into a state of vulnerability so that the X-Men could take them out. Could this be some kind of allusion to an X-Force style operation run by Emma as a kind of shadowy spymaster, manipulating things from a distance?

Add to this... is Jono really dead?

Was that really Mr. Sinister, or some kind of illusion?
If nothing else, this book is making me question lots.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "people constantly dying" bit.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 May 2019, 16:40

Yeah, tapping out of this now. This started well but now... nope. This is just becoming an exercise in killing characters off for no other reason than shock value. Bye Rosenberg, you did better than most writers at keeping my attention but this is just pretty terrible
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

summerset

Post by summerset » 15 May 2019, 18:19

Someone mention on this board, some strange attitudes that some characters were having, or the absence of emotion. Although I'm loving Rosenberg writing I completely agreed with this. But now I guess it isn't a sloppy writing problem but actually a very clever plot.

I think we are walking into a big revelation at the end of the arc.
it seems Emma and Mystique are manipulating the X-men since the beginning. Characters joining, characters leaving, even dying. Are Rahne and Chamber really dead? Can it be an illusion?
They manipulated Scott into writing that list. mystique passes as Captain America. Juggernaut joining the team was the only unexpected thing to happen. Maybe Dark Beast is in it as well. If you think about it the characters who left or died are the ones who could suspect anything. Wolverine and Wolfsbane with heightened senses, Chamber and Karma low level telepathy. Emma has a kill list and the X-men are her executers.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 15 May 2019, 22:19

A little disappointed that after the big reveal at the end of #17, the X-Men decided to do nothing about her (and she wasn't even mentioned until the last few pages) but ah well. Next issue in a couple weeks...

Ever since Cyclops got shot in the face I've kinda been thinking we're headed for a big reset (probably as part of AoXM's resolution) that'll end up undoing a lot of what happens here, and every new character death just makes me believe it a bit more. I wasn't surprised though since I had seen Rosenberg mention in an interview that people were upset that he had killed a few female characters but that his next death would be male.

There's certainly the potential for an interesting long-running plot here of everyone being manipulated by Emma, and I hope it works out, but I still think things have been moving at such a crazy and quick pace that it's hard to really enjoy. Is character A acting weird because they're being manipulated, or because they just don't have time to express properly in such a breakneck pace? I still forget that Banshee and Hope are on the team at times.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 16 May 2019, 05:01

So within eight issues, we've lost Blindfold, Guido, Rahne, and now Chamber. And for what? Sure things are grim but the situations don't seem especially dangerous. It was just a basic Marauders fight. I'm just not sure where this is all going. We get it, life sucks for the X-Men, now what?
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 May 2019, 07:13

Quick and Dead wrote:
16 May 2019, 05:01
So within eight issues, we've lost Blindfold, Guido, Rahne, and now Chamber. And for what? Sure things are grim but the situations don't seem especially dangerous. It was just a basic Marauders fight. I'm just not sure where this is all going. We get it, life sucks for the X-Men, now what?
I'm starting to believe the deaths won't stick to the end of the run. Otherwise, Rosenberg is getting into that area where people start dying just to prove how bad things are. I hated it in the Decimation Era and I'm not a big fan of it now. So hopefully this is part of a bigger story that will undo the deaths. Maybe Emma is pulling a reverse Weekend at Bernie's and only made everyone believe those we've lost are dead. She's already proven once she can put out mass hallucinations when she pretended Scott was still alive.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 16 May 2019, 07:25

summerset wrote:
15 May 2019, 18:19
Someone mention on this board, some strange attitudes that some characters were having, or the absence of emotion. Although I'm loving Rosenberg writing I completely agreed with this. But now I guess it isn't a sloppy writing problem but actually a very clever plot.

I think we are walking into a big revelation at the end of the arc.
it seems Emma and Mystique are manipulating the X-men since the beginning. Characters joining, characters leaving, even dying. Are Rahne and Chamber really dead? Can it be an illusion?
They manipulated Scott into writing that list. mystique passes as Captain America. Juggernaut joining the team was the only unexpected thing to happen. Maybe Dark Beast is in it as well. If you think about it the characters who left or died are the ones who could suspect anything. Wolverine and Wolfsbane with heightened senses, Chamber and Karma low level telepathy. Emma has a kill list and the X-men are her executers.
Starting to think the same. Maybe what we are reading in this title
Is as much an illusion as Age of X-man. And both titles are working to a big finale where both (part) illusionary worlds collide/fall apart and Xavier leads the X-men to a new Haven.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 16 May 2019, 11:03

I like Rosenberg, I think he had great ideas, I even started to think of him as a modern Chris Claremont...

... which its not true.
Claremont showed an amount of love and respect for his characters that Rosenberg doesnt manifest at all.
His Madrox is a living joke, nothing like the character we have grown to love in the last... 30 years? I personally excused this thinking "well, this is not the Madrox prime we were used to..." but that is my own bs.
We still dont have a clue whats going on with Banshee, he cured the NM from the TO infection like nothing, with little or bad explanations I personally dont buy, from any possible hideout they could think of they were hiding in a bar (not remotely believeable, what about that HQ they used during Bendis' run, or the Outback base, or whatever other base they could have figured out, for gods sake they have Illyana to teleport them in and out) and the progressive characters assassination is just getting old and tiring reaaaaally quickly.
Wolfsbane - I get it, she can be depressed, she doesnt want to fight... but surrendering herself and let them kill her off this way? Sorry but this is not my Rahne and I hate it.

Velocidad - Its sad he only got some panels just to show us he is dying soon of old age due to his powers.
Loa - Killed off in one panel with no explanation

Blindfold - . . .

Hope - Why did she become a terrorist? Why didnt she look after any other mutants or former friends? Marrow was part of X-Force with her... Shooting Cyclops? I cant shallow it.

Karma - So she is possessed, she betrays her team, she is infected, then she is cured and now she leaves... we are talking about the same woman who was possessed by the Shadow King and survived in the middle of nowhere in Asgard? Why didnt she mention her brothers at all?

Chamber - This death is like Skin or Synch. Pointless.

Marauders - There is no way Chamber could have killed them like this. First, Blockbuster is nearly invulnerable, that wouldnt kill him normally.
There were two green haired women, one is Vertigo and the other one is a clone of Polaris probably possessed by Malice. Polaris is powerful enough to take down most of the X-Men on her own and protect the team from Chamber's psionic fire. So kudos for Rosenberg for downplaying one of the most efficient and lethal team the X-men ever faced, even if they are possibly clones.

Kwannon - She comes, she kills Joseph, she joins Wolverine to hunt down Rahne's killers and then she is gone again?

Josep/Magneto - While he is certainly NOT invulnerable or anything like that his death was absolutely forced and easy. Joseph is as powerful or even more than Magneto, a katana wouldnt cut him at all. Betsy killed him with her tk katana, as her regular katana was useless against Magneto, and she used that to her advantage as a surprise factor. Here we got nothing like that.

Guido - Pointless, Guido should be able to survive much more as he did in the past. After his arc in X-Factor, recovering his soul and appearing here and there during Secret Empire, Death of X, IvX... this is as forced as the rest of deaths, to make us feel how desperate times are right now...

Havok - well, this is new and I cant say I like it. This is NOT how his powers work, he is like Cyclops and they store cosmic/solar/ambient energy which they can discharge using his eyes (Cyclops) or body/arms (Havok), they can only use as much energy as they have stored. This whole fading stuff gets me to a different new theory...

... either Rosenberg is just throwing the X-Men under the bus remorselessly and killing basically them all off or this is some kind of nightmare scenario.

One last Easter Egg. Sunspot. He is suposed to appear in the War of the Realms X-men mini... and Karma mentions him as a fallen comrade too on her goodbye speech... Im speechless now.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 16 May 2019, 14:43

Rosenberg did kill folks in Dead Souls with funerals and everything. I really do think something else is up here. Or we're heading towards some kind of 'reset' so they gave Rosenberg license to kill with impunity.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 16 May 2019, 16:09

I am really loving this. It reminds me of why I as a young reader was drawn to X-Men more than any other comics franchise. The stakes feel high and real. It is kind of sad to see Wolverine just walk away though. And Chamber is the most disappointing death to me yet (as far as character I most like) but I still am liking the puzzle that Rosenberg is quickly building here. It is kind of nice to know that Hickman's stuff is coming because we know Rosenberg must have a clear and finite plan to resolve this before the reset. I do fear however that a lot of this as a result might be a fake out or undone.
Best X-Comic last week: X-Force #7
Best non X-Comic last week: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #6

bamf

Post by bamf » 16 May 2019, 17:34

I'm with Cable. This feels exciting. I don't know what it is building towards but I can honestly say that I haven't been this invested in one of the main titles in like....2 years? Jono's departure was upsetting, I'm not sure what's going on with Alex, but Rosenberg brought Cain back into the fold so he gets my respect for that alone.
MFL: Captain America, Iron Man, Storm, Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Iron Fist

Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 16 May 2019, 20:55

Emma and Mystique are definitely up to something. If Mystique was Captain America then she took away the MLF. I think other posters are right and Emma is having the X-Men donher dirty work.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

kalibeast

Post by kalibeast » 17 May 2019, 02:11

This book is trash.

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 17 May 2019, 02:57

I’m gonna keep my judgments until the end of the run. Often times comics like this can be totally saved by the endgame. I hope he truly has a plan that plays out that makes all this death and craziness make sense, I also feel like when Hickman takes over all of this will be swept under the rug anyways. I am however intrigued in a run of X-men which I haven’t been since the dark angel saga

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 17 May 2019, 20:45

I love this run. I was honestly starting to get tired of the flagship X-men titles and their constant usage of the same 20 or so characters. Rosenberg is obviously a fan of the obscure/underutilized X-men characters and I wouldn't be surprised if he sometimes visited this site to brush up on the characters' history. I know Rosenberg using so many characters means there isn't much real estate to develop them beyond a few moments here and there, but I still like seeing these characters in use as opposed to being in background shots at best. Also, when has a death ever been permanent in the X-men anyway.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 18 May 2019, 18:20

It's definitely an exciting run and I love some of what Rosenberg is doing but I don't think the deaths are needed to raise to the stakes. Each one has had less impact than the last. I mean Chamber, a character who has been around for almost 30 years, just died and the fanbase is just like "Meh." That might be an indication that Rosenberg needs to at least depict deaths a little more thoughtfully. Blindfold's suicide was a gut punch, Chamber getting offed in a Marauders battle? Not so much.

On a sidenote, you guys know we don't need to tag issue spoilers in the discussion thread for that specific issue, right? Just saying.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/