Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Apocalypse and the X-tracts #1

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Flapflop

Apocalypse and the X-tracts #1

Post by Flapflop » 13 Mar 2019, 13:29

Meh, this title also one of the less interesting ones in the Age of X-man
Spoiler: show
Nothing much happens, we get introduced into this group of Apocalypse. Eye-Boy loves Kitty, Evan has daddy issues, Dazzler is a singer songwriter instead of a pop-idol and Idie is the drug of the whole team or something like that. Their plan: getting Omega Red to join them.
I think ill let this Age of X-man title go. Maybe even the whole crossover (and wait til there is a omnibus with everything). Whats happening in Uncanny so much better that this whole alternate reality is nothing in comparison to it, feels insignificant because we know it will end and they will join the normal reality again.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Blackcyclops

Re: Apocalypse and the X-tracts #1

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Mar 2019, 13:57

Flapflop wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 13:29
Meh, this title also one of the less interesting ones in the Age of X-man
Nothing much happens, we get introduced into this group of Apocalypse. Eye-Boy loves Kitty, Evan has daddy issues, Dazzler is a singer songwriter instead of a pop-idol and Idie is the drug of the whole team or something like that. Their plan: getting Omega Red to join them.
I think ill let this Age of X-man title go. Maybe even the whole crossover (and wait til there is a omnibus with everything). Whats happening in Uncanny so much better that this whole alternate reality is nothing in comparison to it, feels insignificant because we know it will end and they will join the normal reality again.
Same could’ve been said about AoA *shrug*...we have zero idea what will or won’t be carried over.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 13 Mar 2019, 14:17

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 13:57
Same could’ve been said about AoA *shrug*...we have zero idea what will or won’t be carried over.
True, though at the time Marvel let us believe AoA was here to stay. And i feel save to say I like AoA better then AoXm already
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Mar 2019, 17:13

Wait, so Unveil is Idie?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Mar 2019, 17:21

EphemeristX wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 17:13
Wait, so Unveil is Idie?

I don’t think she is...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 13 Mar 2019, 18:46

I think she’s a new character.

This issue was alright but nothing amazing. Seeing an Apocalyse who is all about love and harmony was funny though.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Mar 2019, 18:59

I thought she was too; I was just responding to Flapflop.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 13 Mar 2019, 23:47

Yeah neither this nor Marvelous #2 did anything to interest me. Very 'meh'...

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Mar 2019, 01:10

These might just be the worst x-titles we’ve had since Bendis. At least with his stuff I had something to hate, which is indicative of inspiring an emotional response but Jesus this is just... bland
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 14 Mar 2019, 04:10

Unveil is not Idie. In an interview, the writer of this story stated that this is a brand new character in the Age of X-Man world. Besides, Unveil is Barbadian (from Barbados) while Idie (Oya) is Nigerian (from Nigeria)

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 14 Mar 2019, 10:07

Another thing I feel is bad: Kitty not knowing what a Menora is.

The scene also didnt do anything for the story exept maybe there is no religion in this world.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 11:35

Flapflop wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 10:07

The scene also didnt do anything for the story exept maybe there is no religion in this world.
That was the point though lol...to show that religion, something that involves collectivism and love, is gone.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Mar 2019, 13:53

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 11:35
Flapflop wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 10:07

That was the point though lol...to show that religion, something that involves collectivism and love, is gone.

But it's confusing, no? And kinda been one of my qualms of this crossover The inconsistent on "old" world versus "new", when it happened, who remembers what, who's born in what era...I mean, we know Hope is part of the back story of the world, which made me think it was around AvX...but that's recent so....I don't know.

At this point, I'm asumming this new world order is like...what, a little under 20 years old(again, how Hope fits into that, idk)? Most of the teen cast were "born" in pods(or so they think)..but Kitty would've been around during the "non Age of X"....She'd have experienced Hanukkah....and no, she probably wouldn't just forget about it. Menorah = Presents(and I guess, religious stuff, but I was more about the presents). And given she's a "rebel" wouldn't she hold onto memories of family, religion and tradition?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 14:02

das_boot wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 01:10
These might just be the worst x-titles we’ve had since Bendis. At least with his stuff I had something to hate, which is indicative of inspiring an emotional response but Jesus this is just... bland

It sucks you feel that way. Because I felt Bendis’s titles had no direction or ideas underneath them. There’s ideas here (interesting ones too). And I think drawing upon ideologies from the 1970s are what are inspiring this particular book. I dislike the art but it is a book with something to say at least. And that to me runs counter to the idea that this was just thrown together for nostalgia. If it was, there wouldn’t be these dueling ideas about individualism and collectivism...like A Brave New World is written all into the DNA of this overall story.

We can talk about Nate’s past but I think that perfectly explains why he thinks this type of world would work. He’s experienced what it felt like to be apart of everyone, he’s had a “family” but in the end, as he was dying and saw how all those things supposedly didn’t end things well for mutants, a world like this could be a result. I mean you look at Marvelous X-Men and while I think the writing there is a bit too slow, it again puts forth ideas about this world. And calls into question how do you police actions that are spurred by the individual when individualism is sacred?

I mean I can’t say there aren’t compelling ideas set forth by Nate’s world (philosophers and the like have argued for centuries about the merits and downside of religion). I think if his life hadn’t been so effed up, he could have created a better utopia but it would still have flaws...that’s the nature of utopia.

Like I said before, I don’t think these books are nearly as bad as something like X-Men Gold or Austen’s run but I appear to be alone in that regard.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 15 Mar 2019, 05:52

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 14:02
das_boot wrote:

It sucks you feel that way. Because I felt Bendis’s titles had no direction or ideas underneath them. There’s ideas here (interesting ones too). And I think drawing upon ideologies from the 1970s are what are inspiring this particular book. I dislike the art but it is a book with something to say at least. And that to me runs counter to the idea that this was just thrown together for nostalgia. If it was, there wouldn’t be these dueling ideas about individualism and collectivism...like A Brave New World is written all into the DNA of this overall story.

We can talk about Nate’s past but I think that perfectly explains why he thinks this type of world would work. He’s experienced what it felt like to be apart of everyone, he’s had a “family” but in the end, as he was dying and saw how all those things supposedly didn’t end things well for mutants, a world like this could be a result. I mean you look at Marvelous X-Men and while I think the writing there is a bit too slow, it again puts forth ideas about this world. And calls into question how do you police actions that are spurred by the individual when individualism is sacred?

I mean I can’t say there aren’t compelling ideas set forth by Nate’s world (philosophers and the like have argued for centuries about the merits and downside of religion). I think if his life hadn’t been so effed up, he could have created a better utopia but it would still have flaws...that’s the nature of utopia.

Like I said before, I don’t think these books are nearly as bad as something like X-Men Gold or Austen’s run but I appear to be alone in that regard.

I agree with you for the most part.

I also want to point out that the world being "imperfect" and people having weird continuity is kind of a non-issue since this is essentially a construct built from the mind of a deeply imperfect man who is forcing a square block into a circular peg.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Mar 2019, 10:49

Oh I was saying that the imperfection will always be the case when dealing with Utopians...it’s the point of thr myth/foncept.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 15 Mar 2019, 13:33

I don't think this miniseries is bad. I just think it's not very good yet. It's just ok -- better in concept than in execution so far.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 15 Mar 2019, 20:59

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 14:02
das_boot wrote:

You are not alone, Im liking them all too.
Age of Xman seems to be a very evident mystery, easy to solve, and everybody is jumping into conclusions and spoiling their own fun.
These books are good, not as good as Uncanny is right now yet good enough to invite us to continue reading and see where this is going and how its going to send the Xmen back to the real world.
Nothing is out of character, these books are really well thought, maybe not perfect but when we finish all those minis we will have a look to the whole picture.
Its getting intense with people trolling Rosenberg about all the ongoing questions and fans are not letting themselves to have fun and enjoy the books while getting their answers... at the right time.