Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Age of X-Man Alpha

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Gibbering Fool

Re: Age of X-Man Alpha

Post by Gibbering Fool » 02 Feb 2019, 06:53

Impossible Prince wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 04:17
Maybe because she was a bald telepath, but am I wrong thinking that Luna is a Cassandra Nova analogue? The whole Luna/Nova similarity in sound and subject just really jumped out at me.
Possibly, but bald and telepathy seem to be a common combo in the Marvel universe. See Xavier, Cassandra Nova, Moondragon...umm...ok I can't think of any more lol

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 02 Feb 2019, 07:31

Not exactly canon, but in Earth X, Psylocke eventually went bald too.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 03 Feb 2019, 17:57

grief wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 01:12
I did think it was interesting that X-Man replaced Beast on the O5 statue. I'd love to hear someone explain X-Man's origins in this particular reality without having their head explode or being cast out of society. Although, typing that, I wonder if Nate's own origin of being a lab-grown-child is what lead to him implementing the "breeding through labs" status quo that seems to be present here.
I was thinking about that too. Is he still Scott and Jean's (genetic) kid? Is he roughly their age? Did Sinister or someone steal his genes from them when they were toddlers? Or maybe because it's all a "made-up" alt-universe or whatever he just acts like he's a normal unrelated-to-them dude?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Feb 2019, 20:34

Magnus wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 17:57
grief wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 01:12
I did think it was interesting that X-Man replaced Beast on the O5 statue. I'd love to hear someone explain X-Man's origins in this particular reality without having their head explode or being cast out of society. Although, typing that, I wonder if Nate's own origin of being a lab-grown-child is what lead to him implementing the "breeding through labs" status quo that seems to be present here.
I was thinking about that too. Is he still Scott and Jean's (genetic) kid? Is he roughly their age? Did Sinister or someone steal his genes from them when they were toddlers? Or maybe because it's all a "made-up" alt-universe or whatever he just acts like he's a normal unrelated-to-them dude?

I think thay’s exactly it: Nate is projecting his life onto the world...that’s why lab-grown life is the norm.

You could prolly argue that the rejection of romance/love is another thing tied to Nate’s life. His romantic life has never gone good and love, in some world views, can seen as opening one up to bad things like jealousy and hatred.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Feb 2019, 13:32

This is getting such a positive response I decided to buy it. I’ve only just started, but I had to pop over and say I just love that Warren’s hairline is receding. It’s a perfect progression for the character design. Even rich playboys lose their hair.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Feb 2019, 13:58

This is quite promising. Dystopia is overdone. Unfortunately, it looks like this is going to follow the usual utopian arc. Utopias tend to have one of two stories. Either “all is not what it seems,” or “what we gained is not worth what we gave up.” The best utopian stories leave you unsure about the latter. Hopefully, this one can do the same, but the repressive secret police don’t inspire confidence.

Someday I’d like to see a utopian story arc where it really is a utopia. Where there’s no doubt what was lost is a price worth paying. And where the heroes lose and we revert to 616, and that’s a tragedy.

Just out of curiosity, have we ever had one of these Alt-U type stories that encompassed the off-world aspects of the MU? When Nate, or Legion or whoever changes the timeline, do those changes extend to the Shi’ar, Galactus and the Watcher? Because in my proposed plot above, those could be the external threat to the utopian Earth that the heroes lose to, and it all reverts to 616.

Anyhow, I love the new character designs. In particular, Jean, Warren and Lucas (though his design is pretty classic, I like him better slimmed down as he is here, not bulked up like so many other portrayals). I like Jean’s straight hair and headband; a nice throwback to the Go-Go looks of 1966, but modernized. As I said above, Warren with a receding hairline is perfect.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Feb 2019, 15:57

Yes AoA extended beyond the Earth into the larger space world, the Shi’ar actually appeared (as did the Inhumans later on).

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 04 Feb 2019, 17:06

Nu-D wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 13:58
Someday I’d like to see a utopian story arc where it really is a utopia. Where there’s no doubt what was lost is a price worth paying. And where the heroes lose and we revert to 616, and that’s a tragedy.
Honesty, that was MY take on the House of M story-line. I still don't understand how the X-Men justified the return to the 616 status quo.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Feb 2019, 17:09

grief wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:06
Nu-D wrote:
Honesty, that was MY take on the House of M story-line. I still don't understand how the X-Men justified the return to the 616 status quo.
Totalitarian dictatorships are always bad, even when the dictator rules from a position of enlightened benevolence?

I mean, I think that’s the underlying assumption even if it wasn’t very well-developed. We’re expected to assume that the libertarian vision of democracy is a fundamental human right that cannot justifiably be infringed.
Last edited by Nu-D on 04 Feb 2019, 17:16, edited 2 times in total.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Feb 2019, 17:11

grief wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:06
Nu-D wrote:
Mine too...I mean i can kinda see the issue with the fact that humans were treated unfairly. Basically it would be like if our world flipped and minorities were in total control of economic, social and cultural structures but the former majority is now in the subordinate position. The X-Men saw how wrong that was (plus just the idea of them being messed with).

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Feb 2019, 17:22

I know codenames are one of the genre conventions we’re supposed to accept, but much of the time they really take me out of the story.

These people know one another intimately. They think of one another as family and friends. Generally, they’re going to prefer to use real names and/or nicknames. So when Jean and Nate are communicating telepathically, the idea that she’s going to refer to him as “X-Man” just rings really false. Especially in the heat of battle, where catching the attention of your teammate is critical and your under intense emotional pressure, it doesn’t resonate with me to use a name that someone might take a fraction of a second longer to respond to.

It’s one thing for the characters to use them to hide their identities from the public, but that’s not even a thing anymore. It makes sense that a stranger or a villain might use a public code name rather than a personal name or nickname. But in my head it just sounds wrong for two teammates to use it in conversation.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Feb 2019, 17:31

See to me codenames, depending on what it is and their relationship, are like nicknames. So X-Man is a weird one that yeah I prolly wouldnt even use in battle lol but Storm? Gambit? cyclops? Depending on our relationship and history, that could very well replace their actual name in my mind.

Like my uncle calls his best friend Sarge, even though they haven’t been in the military together for a decade.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Feb 2019, 17:44

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:31
See to me codenames, depending on what it is and their relationship, are like nicknames. So X-Man is a weird one that yeah I prolly wouldnt even use in battle lol but Storm? Gambit? cyclops? Depending on our relationship and history, that could very well replace their actual name in my mind.

Like my uncle calls his best friend Sarge, even though they haven’t been in the military together for a decade.
I only notice them when I notice them; when I don’t notice them, I don’t notice.

By that I mean that for every time it irks me, there are probably a half-dozen times a codename is used that I just read on by and don’t get bothered. So yeah, some of them are probably fine.

But “X-Man”? Nuh-uh. No way.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Feb 2019, 18:17

Yeah X-Man is a terrible codename period...Nate Grey is actually a cool name overall.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Feb 2019, 18:53

X-Man is one of those codenames that I always thought existed editorially but not in-universe. Like Firefist.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 04 Feb 2019, 19:40

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:31

Agreed, I've noticed when playing games online with real-life friends, we'll often slip into using our online names instead of our real names. Sometimes even when it's just IRL friends and no one else we don't know IRL. So if anything I could see them using their codenames in battle easier than their real names. Just frame of mind and all that.

And yeah X-Man is a stupid name. Even worse here... I can just imagine Charles sitting down with this first squad, saying "okay, my X-Men. You need codenames. You'll be named Cyclops, Angel, Iceman, Marvel Girl, and X-Man. Why does he get to be X-Man of the X-Men? Fuck you Scott, he's obviously the best."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Feb 2019, 19:51

EphemeristX wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 18:53
X-Man is one of those codenames that I always thought existed editorially but not in-universe. Like Firefist.

I did too until his return in New Mutants...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 09 Feb 2019, 06:44

Yeah, I was bemoaning the idea of another Alternate Universe story but this was so damn good that I didn't care. Here's hoping it ends like Age of X and House of M and the characters retain their memories.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

fyrefyst

Post by fyrefyst » 11 Feb 2019, 22:59

@Ephemerist
Firefist was used in the original X-Factor comic. When Rusty was captured by Hodge and held powerless he was wearing a power damping helmet with the code name on it.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Feb 2019, 16:52

Interlocking Age of X-Man cover:
Spoiler: show

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 12 Feb 2019, 16:56

fyrefyst wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 22:59
@Ephemerist
Firefist was used in the original X-Factor comic. When Rusty was captured by Hodge and held powerless he was wearing a power damping helmet with the code name on it.
Huh. Well, the more you know. <RAINBOW>

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Feb 2019, 22:45

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 16:52
Interlocking Age of X-Man cover:
Spoiler: show
Oh man I was about to get soooooo excited that Marko Djurdevic was back doing covers at Marvel, then I was sad. Still, thats a pretty kick-ass spread, and the artist is quite talented as well.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback