Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Uncanny X-men #4

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
InsipidLust

Re: Uncanny X-men #4

Post by InsipidLust » 07 Dec 2018, 17:37

Glob doesn't sit right with me ONLY because he is there solely because the writer finds it cute. He doesn't add anything, although his visual effect is cool. If there were more discussion about him trying to harass and murder people in the pass (under Quentin Quire's influence), he might be a litle more interesting to me. As it stands, he's as much of a glob of nothing (maybe meant to be an audience stand-in?) as his name implies.

Also, I don't think Quentin successfully attacked Utopia, but he did go there with the intent to cause some kind of trouble. Unfortunately for him, Emma was in the mood to psychically manhandle a child and I think Wolverine might have wanted to gut him.

This book is solid, although (totally random gripe) I feel like I need a Psylocke story as her changes otherwise seem entirely cosmetic.

I'm glad Jean is back to being annoying, frankly. Red had me questioning my notion that writers can't generally be trusted to handle that character but here I am, being proven right. What an insufferable person lol.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 07 Dec 2018, 18:08

Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 17:05
Fair enough but a non-opinion point: he didn’t attack utopia though. That was the HFC kids (Kade specifically)...Schism #4 and #5.
Quentin attacked Utopia in Nation X. No-Girl stopped him from blowing the place up. How quickly we forget her most legendary feats!
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Dec 2018, 18:11

I agree about Psylocke but I just don’t think here is where it will or maybe should take place. That deserves a mini or one-shot just an issue outside of this larger story.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Dec 2018, 18:28

Quick and Dead wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 18:08
Blackcyclops wrote:
Fair enough but a non-opinion point: he didn’t attack utopia though. That was the HFC kids (Kade specifically)...Schism #4 and #5.
Quentin attacked Utopia in Nation X. No-Girl stopped him from blowing the place up. How quickly we forget her most legendary feats!
Oh shit I forgot about that. That was where he didn’t act like the asshat under Morrison but not yet the man-child under Aaron. Touche on that story...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Dec 2018, 23:36

Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 18:11
I agree about Psylocke but I just don’t think here is where it will or maybe should take place. That deserves a mini or one-shot just an issue outside of this larger story.
But should it come now? I’d say no. I think she needs the time to adjust and get used to her new old body.

Plus
Spoiler: show
We’re clearly being set up for a Revanche story at some point in the near future
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 07 Dec 2018, 23:44

So Betsy has TP, TK, PD, TKK, PS&S, and NA now?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 08 Dec 2018, 03:45

Jazz, I literally have no idea what half of those acronyms are ❤️
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Dec 2018, 04:35

Yeah, you're gonna have to help a bro out. Or uh.. YYGHTHABO.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Dec 2018, 05:46

Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 18:28
Quick and Dead wrote:
Blackcyclops wrote:
Oh shit I forgot about that. That was where he didn’t act like the asshat under Morrison but not yet the man-child under Aaron. Touche on that story...
That's literally one of the stories I was referencing. :ugeek: There was an entirely separate story where he attempted to kill the other Cuckoos as well. He's had a lot of random appearances.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 08 Dec 2018, 06:44

Milkshake08 wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 05:46
Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 18:28
Quick and Dead wrote:

That's literally one of the stories I was referencing. :ugeek: There was an entirely separate story where he attempted to kill the other Cuckoos as well. He's had a lot of random appearances.
Which story are you referring to? I think the one where he tried to kill the Cuckoos and the one where No-Girl saves the day is one and the same, Nation X #2.

After Morrison’s run, Endsong and Nation X were Quentin’s only appearances before Jason Aaron got his hands on him.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 08 Dec 2018, 09:59

das_boot wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 03:45
I always thought you are one of the acronym masters hier :lol:

Telepathy, Telekinetic, Psy-Daggers, Telekinetic Katana, Psy Sword & Shield, and Ninja abilities

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Dec 2018, 12:42

Jazzkantine wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 09:59
das_boot wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 03:45
I always thought you are one of the acronym masters hier :lol:

Telepathy, Telekinetic, Psy-Daggers, Telekinetic Katana, Psy Sword & Shield, and Ninja abilities
Ooooooo

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Dec 2018, 15:28

I imagine you could file the daggers, katana, and sword/shield under the same power: energy constructs. She's done more than that, too. Bow and arrow was one, for instance. She probably is just trying out the sword and shield because the katana feels weird now that she's back in her caucasian body.

As far as her ninja skills, I'd assume she retained them, but her new body may not quite have the muscle memory for the same level of competency.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 08 Dec 2018, 15:51

Energy constructs.. sounds good. And based on her costume I would say she fits to the Star Sapphires :lol:

Wait wait wait! She fought against Sapphire Styx and gained her new body thanks to her.

A coincidence? I don’t think so.. :shock:

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Dec 2018, 18:52

I still avidly hate her new costume. It's an eyesore of color to me.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 08 Dec 2018, 18:55

Milkshake08 wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 18:52
I still avidly hate her new costume. It's an eyesore of color to me.
Like one of those my little ponies :mrgreen:

gardien

Post by gardien » 09 Dec 2018, 05:49

I will be honest And say that them choosing to have Armor be the voice kinda works better than Surge or Hellion. She, like many have said before, is an xman who's been moved down to junior squad even though she's proven her worth. After reading the comic again Jean only chose Hisako to go because she stood up to her. I found it extremely admirable of her to not leave her team behind. It was like her saying "No! I'm not only standing up for myself but for all of us!" She could have gone easily but she's standing by what she believes in. That they are X-Men and deserve to be treated as such.

In example, Jean could have had Rockslide and Armor go into the field and leave behind Psylocke and Polaris to help Pixie and Glob with Clean up. But Jean only wants to work with her crew she loves the most.

Edit: I won't lie. I've only ever collected my comics from when Psylocke and Revanche underwent the process. So for me it's exciting to see her back in her "normal" look. I agree that Psylocke probably retrains the Ninja skills in her mind hut her body needs to play catch up. If anything her trying new weapon constructs is her way of physical therapy. She remembers how but her body may jot be able to/strong enough
X-Men Draft Team: M, Danger, Jubilee, Pixie/Nightmare, Lil' Slim (05 Cyclops), Kid Gladiator, Armor, Gardien (Nature Girl), Viewtiful (Eye Boy), Velocidad

"Prepare for tales from the Generation NeXt!!"

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 10 Dec 2018, 23:33

God, Sorry to be be late joining this thread!

From my point of view we have several issues coming together here.
As we havent seen how Extermination finishes and we didnt have a real epilogue serving as Uncanny X-Men #0 or Prime or Alpha (or whatever) establishing Jean and his X-Men Red team back in the X-Mansion and delivering an accurate depiction of the real amount of characters (both active Xmen and students) around while sending off other characters and somehow setting up the new status quo prior to this arc... it feels off from the very first panel of issue #1.
The actual first time we see Jean and Hisako is like in the previous issue or in this one and its not the best start.

We are suposing Jean is commanding the field team and leading, in general, and Kitty is (was) training the X-Men in training and students.
Taking this as a premise Jean should be able to decide WHO joins her here or there, or who to be dispatched to deal with this or that menace. End of discussion. And thats why (Im guessing) nobody is opening their mouths.
Jean acted as Headmistress prior to her death and while she doesnt know much about most of the New X-men kids we love it doesnt mean she doesnt how to handle them.
I see this as Jean NOT being desperate and NOT wanting to put the kids in further danger if/when possible, no matter how experienced they are.
If Jean would try to think "What would Professor Xavier do?" probably Xavier would absolutely agree with her and would try to bench all the students and X-Men in training unless REALLY necessary.

The new X-Men kids really deserve a book, but I never loved Armor or Pixie joining the senior team, it never made sense that, amongst so many X-Men, the new girl with little training and experience would join the team to save the Universe (generally speaking)

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 10 Dec 2018, 23:42

One of those things that bothers me, what also Fenix just wrote down, is the absence of some kind of introduction issues.

- where did Polaris, Northstar, Cannonball, and Bishop suddenly come from?
- is Team Red now officially back at the mansion?
- where are all the other students?
- Where are Trinary, Gentle, Gambit (space?), Pyro, ...?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Dec 2018, 01:14

See Exterminated to know about Rogue and Gambit and their aeries

Extermination, nor X-Men Red is over yet (stupid delays!)...Bishop’s been back since Astonishing X-Men by Soule though.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 11 Dec 2018, 01:27

Blackcyclops wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 01:14
See Exterminated to know about Rogue and Gambit and their aeries

Extermination, nor X-Men Red is over yet (stupid delays!)...Bishop’s been back since Astonishing X-Men by Soule though.
So Gambit went into space after Red? Thought that was somewhere in between.

I read Astonishing, but I can’t remember Biship coming to the mansion after that X story. I can’t imagine that they welcomed him back with open arms.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Dec 2018, 01:57

Yeah I don’t know where the wedding fits in but Gambit doesn’t appear to be married in Red, so I always took that as it before he set off for space.

Astonishing really didn’t end with anyone going back anywhere but it ended with bishop being reintroduced to the books and being back with the X-Men. I mean technically he’s had his whole “reform” wayyyyyy back in uncanny x-force, he just never showed up after that series.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 11 Dec 2018, 03:02

Ah yeah those infamous Uncanny X-Force stories. The trades are still in my shelf waiting to be readen. And I just realized I didn’t read the last issues of Astonishing. To many different artists..

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 11 Dec 2018, 03:14

But basically what I miss, are those „Hello“ and „Good Bye“ scenes we had in earlier comics. Now, characters appear and disappear after some time off-screen without further explanation where they are or where they have been.

And they wore regular clothes more often too, unlike today where everybody sleeps in their uniform.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Dec 2018, 05:23

Jazzkantine wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 03:14
But basically what I miss, are those „Hello“ and „Good Bye“ scenes we had in earlier comics. Now, characters appear and disappear after some time off-screen without further explanation where they are or where they have been.

And they wore regular clothes more often too, unlike today where everybody sleeps in their uniform.
Well that happened in Jason aaron’s WatX (alot of civvies and intros), Hopeless and Bunn’s X-Men series, and all X-Factor stuff...it didn’t happen under Bendis and Guggenheim though, I think...and it happened here too (everybody was in regular clothes in #1)...so nostalgia might be clouding some things.

But considering that after Utopia at any time any former or current member is basically an x-Man, introductions for characters aren’t really necessary unless they are new. Calling in an already recruited person for the X-Men is like the Avengers pulling in reserve members.

The biggest issue here is that UXM started before Exterminated and the other stuff ended lol

My X-Men Draft Picks: