Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Uncanny X-men #4

Here you can express your opinions about released issues of the current X-Titles
Flapflop

Uncanny X-men #4

Post by Flapflop » 05 Dec 2018, 10:48

This story getting better and better. Love the tension, diffrent angles and convictions. There is no real bad or good , all have relevant and solid reasons for their actions and behaviour.

Story:
Spoiler: show
Armor's Armor saved the X-men of the explosion, Jean used her telepathy to let the Horsemen think they are dead. They travel to Canada to report to their boss X-man who lays down the basics of his plan: change the world for better, even though it will cost lives (kill a million to save billions). He telepathically makes himself known to the whole world population as the Second Coming of Christ and says he will change in the world in seven days, though with casualties. The X-men listen to the news of this event and let LEgion tell whats happening. But he is totally crazy and Jeand and Betsy put him to sleep. Hisako and Glob protest and ask why they put Legion to sleep while he can help and came to warn them and they do nothing against those who blew up teh mansion. An argument starts (beginning of a disassembling between young and old X-men). Beast did something terrible again in the mean time in his lab (though what is not said yet). X-man sends out his horseman in teams: Magneto and Angel have to stop all wars, Omega and Blob stop the harvesting of resorurces from the earth. X-men split in two teams, the 'kids' are grounded again to clean up, Hisako is enraged at Jean (shes i becoming the leader of the young faction). X-Team 1 is going to stop Magento and Angel but become to late. The plan to stop war is by removing all guns, but then angry people are stárting to fight because army cant shoot back. Hisako and co listen to Legion but are divided between Hisako/Glob and Rockslide/Pixie to release him ore not, then Anole wakes up to vote. Blob and Omega are attacking a oil platform and X-Team 2 is comming to the rescue. Blob and Omgega asks why they want to fight against them because their intensions are in beginning good (save the evironment). Glob meets Jamie in a bar and convinces him to help them and Legion again to stop X-Man.
"You're always sorry, Charles, and there's always a speech. And nobody cares."

XtremeOne1

Re: Uncanny X-men #4

Post by XtremeOne1 » 05 Dec 2018, 19:18

This felt like the least complete issue. The first half was good, but all the threads that started with the second half just kinda "happened". I know this is weekly but it still felt kinda blah.

Overall though, I"m really interested in where this is going. It's interesting to see Jean and Storm's very different approach!

Spoilers for future issues:
Spoiler: show
I really love that Jean and Storm are the new leaders(I've forgotten about Kitty because she's terrible), and I'm not looking forward to the return of Cyclops and Logan. It's been great having such a female, heavy lead X-Men and with those two tend to suck up all the energy in the room. And it kinda sucks we're likely going back to it. I'm guessing Jean will still lead a team with Storm as second in command but I'm assuming this will be the last time in a while where we see two women leading, standing side by side.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Dec 2018, 19:28

See, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, after last issue. Giving Legion an element of responsibility for what’s happening was a plot twist I did NOT see coming.

I have to be honest here though— Jean seemed a little off with Hisako. Maybe it’s just that we’ve never seen her really interacting with students much, but she seemed much harsher on Hisako than I expected... it’s a kind of harshness I’d expect from Emma, Kitty or Storm, but not so much from Jean. I also kind of feel like maybe she should be deferring slightly to Storm in this. Not because she’s an incapable leader, but because Storm knows these kids. She knows what they’re capable of. So far, Jea: seen them be blind-sided by losing their chaperone and require back up in combat... that doesn’t REALLY show the till level of their competence that we, the reader, and Storm has seen of them previously.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 05 Dec 2018, 20:08

Yeah I agree Jean was sterner with the kids than I thought she would be. I really like Armor stepping up and calling her decisions to sideline the kids. I feel that it’s a really big plot point that will be explored now. I was wary that it was just lip service to the fans, but the writers are really pushing the rift between the seniors and students. It’s a plot I’ve wanted to see for a while so I hope the editors follow through on this.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Dec 2018, 20:22

Well, I think it was mentioned before on another thread that Jean doesn't really know these students, especially as the capable (junior) X-Men members they are today. Add to that the fact that they trust someone she does not and that a bunch of crises are happening at once, and I can see her losing her temper for a second because she just doesn't have time to have a discussion. I remember a time when Jean was hot tempered and this reads fairly close to that. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, check that pre-Phoenix arc where she tells off Wolverine).

I hope that this schism (*gasp*) leads to a new young x-men book because we really could use one right now.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Dec 2018, 20:47

I’m pretty anti-event for the sake of an event, but like... between runaways, champions, West Coast Avengers and a new X-Men book, that would make for a pretty awesome youth-team team up event 🤷‍♂️
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Dec 2018, 21:00

das_boot wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 20:47
I’m pretty anti-event for the sake of an event, but like... between runaways, champions, West Coast Avengers and a new X-Men book, that would make for a pretty awesome youth-team team up event 🤷‍♂️
It could be like the party at the end of Young avengers or the prom in Avengers Initiative...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Dec 2018, 23:14

I mean, it’s always been said that Jean has a wicked temper when she’s provoked, just this... I dunno. She didn’t feel ESPECIALLY provoked, it just felt like Hisako was calling her out. And realistically, I’d probably have been more *snaps yasssss you go girl* if Hisako had pointed out that Jean doesn’t even know her. Literally all it would have taken was two lines of dialogue of “with all due respect Jean, you’ve been dead most of the time i’ve Been an active X-Man” and for Jean to shoot her down with “true, but Storm was alive and I don’t see her vouching for your team”. I dunno. I suppose part of this is that while yes, Jean DOES have a temper (I love that issue just after Sabretooth guts Psylocke and the bad-assery of “for every person you even think of hurting, I break a bone... that’s one ankle, shall we try for two”— cold fury that was just DAMN), she’s also more usually balanced and reasonable. I feel like if she really wanted to shut Hisako down, even as pressed for time as they seem to be here, she would have been a little more rational with her explanation for her choice of team, if that makes sense?

Regardless, this is literally just me nit-picking now. I can’t REALLY find anything to dislike about this issue at all (other than Omega Red becoming Ultros from final fantasy VI— what’s that about?). This is a marked improvement from the previous issue and I enjoyed it a lot

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Dec 2018, 23:30

I felt like personal aspect of the threat was pushing Jean...like if this was Cyclopw, I could see him equally being as rash. They both tend to be more even tempered but I feel like personal stuff (this is technically her son) throws them off...idk

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 05 Dec 2018, 23:45

I agree with Das in that I feel Jean herself should take a step back and realise that the younger generation have seriously grown up since she’s been dead. Sure they are a little rough around the edges but many of them haves proved themselves time and again. I kinda wish one of the other X-Men spoke up to vouch for them.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 06 Dec 2018, 00:15

Exactly. I feel like if Storm wasn’t going to say something, then where was Cannonball’s voice there? Where was Jubilee’s? Both of those guys are former “students” who had to prove themselves. Bobby’s looked after the students enough to have spoken up, and actually, so has Northstar. SPEAK. UP.

EDIT: in fact, one step further— I think we NEED a confrontation proper between the old X-Men and the former students/current junior X-Men. I really just want a splash panel of Jean in the heads of the students and like... seeing how Hisako insinuated her way into the Astonishing team, seeing how Pixie, despite her levity, is actually a pretty useful tactical addition in terms of not only providing mass transport, but also being able to disorient large groups of foes (side bar; she’d have been super useful in the crowd scene this issue), seeing how Rockslide and his former team have been through the ringer, and seeing how many times the younger team have been absolutely clutch in massive battles— how many times did we hear Kitty or Scott or Emma stating that their long-time foes could be disoriented by the young team simply because they’d never fought them and therefore didn’t even know their powersets, never mind be able to predict their attacks based on previous battles?

Again, I know I’m coming across hyper critical of the way Jean’s being written as a leader here, and OBVIOUSLY there’s only so much panel time that can be devoted to every single situation they have going on here (which? With the exception of last issue, I still think is being handled deftly by the writing team of this book), but it does feel like a glaring omission that I really do think could be covered in literally one page. And to clarify, I STILL wouldn’t expect Jean to back down from her current stance, or I’d only expect her to concede that maybe the other leaders have had a point and that she knows she has aces in the hole for when the team need them.

I just really want Hisako to get Pixie to bring in the cavalry of the junior X-Men we’ve seen, plus Surge, Mercury, Hellion, Dust et al as total wildcards in a big showdown.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 06 Dec 2018, 01:04

Jean being a sanctimonious cow when anybody calls her into question instead of simply fawning over her or silently abiding her every decision seems pretty in-character if you ask me.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 06 Dec 2018, 02:37

InsipidLust wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 01:04
Jean being a sanctimonious cow when anybody calls her into question instead of simply fawning over her or silently abiding her every decision seems pretty in-character if you ask me.
:lol:
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 06 Dec 2018, 05:17

Another fine issue. If this wasn't weekly, I would be losing my mind because it's moving pretty darn slow.

I like the Hisako stuff, wish the dialogue was a bit sharper because I agree, Jean felt very off in that scene.

I also can't figure out why with the tons of great X-Kids around, we end up with Glob so often. Why are writers so attracted to him? He's sort of the worst.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 06 Dec 2018, 05:39

Glob is literally Rosenberg's favorite character, don't ask me why. I've never met an X-Fan that thinks he's great. Some people seem to be fine with him but not many are crying out for more Glob. Meanwhile, literally tons of fans are asking for Dust, Mercury, Surge, or Hellion to show up again and...well here we are.

I feel weird right now because I did not like this issue much. It's feeling disjointed to me, and slow but also lacking in the character beats that make me love X-Men. (for a great example, see the kinda silly but also really touching Holiday Special out today). Also, I'm confused why, with writers that are very good at continuity, Legion has not mentioned Blindfold at all. I hope we figure out why this about face from Nate, too. I'm glad the students are here, but it's weird to see this specific group of them. Like, where are the others? I don't need them to be used, it's just odd that the story acts like the few on that one mission with Kitty are the only ones that exist.

It's nice to see Northstar back in action again, and I'm glad Polaris is on a team. I liked Armor standing up to Jean but wished everyone would've had her back. I mean, honestly, she and the other kids have seen more and done more than Jean ever did at her age. Pixie and Dust were essential in winning the day during Messiah Complex. Mercury was straight up experimented on. Armor fought an entire alien race on Breakworld, took on giant monsters in Japan, and not even a couple months ago kicked butt in the Negative Zone. Rockslide and Armor have been on the bruisers team because they are so durable. Anole, Hellion, and Surge are all great leaders. Seriously Jean, back off.

That said, I don't know why Glob would ever be on a mission. Has he ever even done anything useful? I may hate all the Bendis characters, but I'd rather see Goldballs than Glob. Glob has literally betrayed the X-Men like three times, plus he's a whiny idiot with no useful skills.

gardien

Post by gardien » 06 Dec 2018, 06:16

I'm loco about everything that is happening. I'm hoping to see the New Xmen step up and save the day, again!!!!!

As for the Glob love that's happening, well, you gotta ask. Do you want to see more Glob or Ink? Lol
X-Men Draft Team: M, Danger, Jubilee, Pixie/Nightmare, Lil' Slim (05 Cyclops), Kid Gladiator, Armor, Gardien (Nature Girl), Viewtiful (Eye Boy), Velocidad

"Prepare for tales from the Generation NeXt!!"

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 06 Dec 2018, 06:27

Ink. Not only is Glob annoying but his character design is such an eyesore. I hate looking at group shots and seeing a big pink... glob.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 06 Dec 2018, 07:04

My new life goal is to become an X-Men writer and kill off Glob and Ink in very serious, final ways and make Cecelia Reyes and Gambit's cats much more important to canon.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 06 Dec 2018, 08:22

Milkshake08 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 07:04
My new life goal is to become an X-Men writer and kill off Glob and Ink in very serious, final ways and make Cecelia Reyes and Gambit's cats much more important to canon.
I don’t see how that second part isn’t already a thing 🤷‍♂️

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 06 Dec 2018, 10:24

Gremlin wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 20:08
Yeah I agree Jean was sterner with the kids than I thought she would be. I really like Armor stepping up and calling her decisions to sideline the kids. I feel that it’s a really big plot point that will be explored now. I was wary that it was just lip service to the fans, but the writers are really pushing the rift between the seniors and students. It’s a plot I’ve wanted to see for a while so I hope the editors follow through on this.
Schism all over again. Cyclops whould have sent them straight to the front, i feel Jean more like Wolverine in that story: she doesn't want the kids to be harmed.

On top of that, its true she doesn't know them (she was dead when they joined) so she doesn't know what they are capable of.
"You're always sorry, Charles, and there's always a speech. And nobody cares."

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Dec 2018, 12:02

I appreciate Glob as that character who clearly shows that not all mutations are pretty or don't look cool. Anole, for instance, has a pretty distinctive mutation that makes it impossible to fit in with normal humans, but Glob doesn't even get to look cool like he does.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Dec 2018, 14:38

tokenBG1009 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 12:02
I appreciate Glob as that character who clearly shows that not all mutations are pretty or don't look cool. Anole, for instance, has a pretty distinctive mutation that makes it impossible to fit in with normal humans, but Glob doesn't even get to look cool like he does.

Same...

I’m not too shocked Legion hasn’t mentioned Blindfold yet because he’s on a very specific mission here (nad his sanity is slipping). At the time I wouldnt be shocked if she is brought at some point but I’m not holding my breath. I think sometimes we want all our little continuity itches scratched at all times and I think sometimes that can bog a story down, while other times it enhances. It really all depends...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 06 Dec 2018, 15:32

Maybe instead of touching Ink, we should kill of Jason Aaron’s kids when he transformed the mansion into Hogwarts.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 06 Dec 2018, 16:08

tokenBG1009 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 12:02
I like that too, plus I think of all of Morrison's contributions I like the new students he created the best. So it's nice to see some of them living on in their best lives.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Dec 2018, 16:56

Jazzkantine wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 15:32
Maybe instead of touching Ink, we should kill of Jason Aaron’s kids when he transformed the mansion into Hogwarts.

But none of them are in this issue lol, why attack them? Lol...plus I’ll fight for Kid Gladiator, Broo, and Eyeboy

My X-Men Draft Picks: